Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:23 pm 

If you're like me, you have found many bands and albums here that have gone on to become favorites. I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to giving a bit of gratitude back to those folks who go out of their way to recommend albums (and maybe get bummed because people don't always appreciate it).

So, if you remember a specific poster who gave you the rec, give a shout out. Otherwise, like I'm about to do, just mention the album that you are thankful to have been introduced to on the forum, and hopefully, the forum members will recognize their own contributions.

I'll start by thanking whoever it was that recommended Afflicted "Prodigal Sun". I think it may have been on HowDisgusting's dm list a while back. This album is incredible. It reminds me in many ways of a blend between Disharmonic Orchestra's "Not to be Undimensional Conscious" and Atheist's "Piece of Time" or "Unquestionable Presence". I love everything about it - from the experimental jazzy parts to the uncoventional groovy death metal growls. I didn't know Swedish dm could be this interesting. Thanks!

Yes it is the real Goat.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:46 pm 

Definitely HowDisgusting's death metal list. I think I found Cosmic Atrophy's Codex Incubo from that list. As well as Adramelech's Psychostasia.

Two of my favorite death metal albums now.

Thanks HowDisgusting! :thumbsup:

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:51 pm 

Good topic - it'll take some effort to work my dilapidated brain to contribute though. :p

Actually, I thank Rexxz for Shadrane. If it weren't for him mentioning that band in the FFA, I don't know if I ever would've discovered that album - if I did, it would've been delayed by 1-2 years. Thanks to him, I was anticipating that album before it got released. Its one of the better progressive metal albums I've heard.

A few reviews by Requiem99 compelled me to either give a few albums 2nd chances or hang with them longer than I normally do: that includes Anubis Gate's "Andromeda Unchained" and Steel Attack's "Enslaved".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:55 pm 

I'd also like to thank rexxz for Shadrane; that album is golden.

And Xeogred for telling me to try Ample Destruction and even providing me with a download link, waaay back in 2007. Good show, boys!

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:56 pm 

Nice idea. However I am usually going for inspiration elsewhere (progarchives.com, avantgarde-metal.com) because I like more open-minded metal, anyway I thanks to ones who mentioned for example Ashes to Ashes, The eternal blade, Civil defiance, Fist in Fetus - all top notch stuff.
users whereby I found worthy bands/albums are above all: perdition666 and oneyoudontknow

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:46 pm 

I'd like to thank ogmetal from way back in 2004 for letting me get all the Demolition Hammer albums off him and for letting me download the Demolition Hammer demos off him on soulseek. I think I gave him some live bootleg in return....this is before youtube hit it big and before blogs were a great source for metal....now those demos are long out of obscurity but upon hearing Gelid Remains off Tortued Existence, and then Human Dissection off Epidemic of Violence, I became hooked and picked up all their albums through eBay. My brother helped me complete the collection by getting me Time Bomb at some Cryptopsy/Suffocation gig in 2005.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:26 pm 

Empyreal introduced me to Crystal Viper somewhere back in the heavy/power/speed help thread. A very worthy find, to say the least.

- John Calvin.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:27 pm 

Best recommendation I've ever gotten here is Criterion. I think it was 16toothsixsonsomething, but I'm not sure.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:52 pm 

0kill wrote:
Empyreal introduced me to Crystal Viper somewhere back in the heavy/power/speed help thread. A very worthy find, to say the least.

Just... wow. Spectacular. I'm going to second this.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 pm 

Thanks to Perdition666 for recommending me Wormfood. France is a great album.

Thanks to Leechmaster for recommending The Axis Of Perdition. I've got two of their albums on the way right now, and I'm sure they're both really good. :)

Thanks to Ribos for recommending P.H.O.B.O.S.. I'm still waiting for their first album (I think it's been lost in the mail), but Anoedipal is some slow-pounding brilliance. I like most things industrial anyway, so this was always going to be good.

Thanks to OlioTheSmall for recommending Ad Hominem. I've got their first two albums and am going to get their other two at some stage. EDIT: And thank you, too, for showing me Destroyer 666. :)

Thanks to Bezerko for recommending Truth Corroded. Only have their latest album, but it's really good.

That's all I can think of at this point, but a lot of my most prized and favourite albums have come from recommendations, or even just random name-dropping, here. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:26 pm 

Hindeed, HowDisgustings list has delivered a lot of good stuff. The one which stands out above all is Disciples of Mockery for me, although I had been interested in them before, I just got detracted by looking for Womb instead, which I still can't find. But along with that I got Adramelech, Algophobia, The Chasm (Although again, I had been interested in hearing them for quite a long time), Deathevokation and Deteriorot.

Also, a banned member idioteque got me to try out Blind Guardian, who are now one of my favourite bands.

Berzerko for Sadistik Exekution. They rule.

Last edited by lord_ghengis on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 pm 

Just yesterday I discovered Ulcerate thanks to HowDisgusting and MikeyC. It wasnt an intentional recommendation but without them discussing this band I wouldnt of looked them up. However thats how alot of bands I find are. I see others saying good things about them so I look them up for myself. So a big Thanks to everyone.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 pm 

RevBau wrote:
Just yesterday I discovered Ulcerate thanks to HowDisgusting and MikeyC. It wasnt an intentional recommendation but without them discussing this band I wouldnt of looked them up. However thats how alot of bands I find are. I see others saying good things about them so I look them up for myself. So a big Thanks to everyone.

No worries, dude. They're a good band and I'm glad you like them. :)

I think that's how most of the bands I know come to be: Users here discussing them, and if I think they sound okay, I'll look them up. In fact, if not for this site and forum, I'd only have about 20% of what I own now.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:03 pm 

It was before this section of the forum existed but, MikeyC for recommending me Misericordiam, via there Unamity and the Cessation of Hostility ep, also MikeyC for Fleshgod Apocalypse and Hour of Penance, and Severed Savior.

Edit: Also Jonpo for Nuclear Death Terror.
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:20 pm 

0kill wrote:

Hm, haven't listened to those guys (and girl) lately; time to crank it up again. I don't like the new album quite as much, but it's still good.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:27 pm 

droneriot's reviews have pointed me in the direction of too many amazing black metal albums to even count. As have HowDisgusting's done for death metal.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:22 pm 

Thank you to Perplexed_Sjel whose reviews have introduced me to over half of the bands I'm currently obsessed with. :thumbsup:

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:47 pm 

Wow this got stickied pretty fast.
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:24 am 

Dalecooper for the Swedish DM recs back in November and even after that.
16th6toothson for his reliable opinions on the death metal genre as a whole.
MikeyC for his awesome tech death reccs.
Bezerko for Candlemass, Repulsion, and various other bands :P

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:48 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
Thank you to Perplexed_Sjel whose reviews have introduced me to over half of the bands I'm currently obsessed with. :thumbsup:

You're very welcome. :)

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:34 pm 

Thanks to DBettino for reccomending me Nyktalgia all those months ago. It really helped me get into black metal.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:45 pm 

I think it was Kruel who introduced me to Sacramentum and the Far Away from the Sun album long, long time ago. I am aware he doesn't post much here anymore but he had introduced me to the most romantic, majestic and personal black metal I have ever heard. to quote a reviewer's excellent choice of words :

Falconsbane wrote:
Far Away From the Sun is like a Gothic cathedral, a towering monument to darkness and light that yields its secrets reluctantly, but rewards the patient listener with a work of ecstatic beauty

Cries from a restless soul gets me every time.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:50 pm 

Thanks to lowendmayhem for telling me to buy all of Mercyful Fate's albums. They have gone on to become my favorite band, and I just ordered King Diamond's first eight albums this morning with high hopes.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:33 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Thanks to Perdition666 for recommending me Wormfood. France is a great album.

Ditto. I'll also add Kalisia and Dylath-Leen to the list. Thanks a lot, Perdition.

Also, even though he's not recommended me anything per se, I'd also like to thank Perplexed_Sjel for helping me discover (unintentionally) countless brilliant, obscure bands. It helps when there's a prolific reviewer out there that has a nearly identical taste to yours. Keep it up, Perplexed, I always look forward to reading your stuff. :thumbsup:

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:19 pm 

First person I can thank is Ultraboris. When I first discovered this site I was really only familiar with the bigger names in old school metal like Metallica, Sabbath and Maiden and then modern mainstream stuff like Killswitch Engage, Dimmu Borgir and Nightwish. Through Ultraboris' reviews of 80s speed and thrash and began to appreciate real metal and not just the overly melodic exception bands - I discovered Jag Panzer, Possessed, Dark Angel, Vio-lence and various others.

A year or so later I was already well into black metal - I had discovered Burzum and Darkthrone on my own, but reviews from Droneriot helped me to really discover so truly excellent underground black metal, that helped me broaden my horizons of music. Dead Raven Choir, Ildjarn, Helheim, Absurd and Abruptum come to mind. This made me interested in searching out more the more demented corners of the black metal field.

And last but most certainly not least Noktorn made me really understand death metal/grind for what it was, and now I can't imagine life without it. Back when I discovered the site I only really liked Death and Possessed (and grind bands Repulsion and Napalm Death), and had a passing interest in Dismember, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse and Demilich. A friend of mine showed me the first Devourment album which I loved (and some other brutal death metal bands which I enjoyed to a certain degree - Amputated Genitals, Prostitute Disfigurement and others) but I never really dug any deeper. However, having read reviews from Noktorn aswell as general forum comments on the likes of Mortician, Last Days of Humanity, Enmity and Jungle Rot I began to really appreciate death metal and was able to see it in a whole new light, and before I knew it I was digging to all corners of the South American death metal scene on my own accord, which is now probably my favourite style of metal. Noktorn's review of 'Hacked Up for Barbeque' is one of the best on the site, and if you haven't read it you should really go ahead and read it now.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:23 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:

No problem, mate. Now you know more than I do. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:30 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:

Agreed actually. I feel I should thank MikeyC in advance, I always see him mention different albums I've never heard of that seem really interesting but haven't had much chance to check them out yet.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:32 pm 

You're very welcome, mate. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:13 pm 

I've gotten recs from so many different people (and gleaned others simply via lurking) so it would take me forever to thank people individually.

I would like to say that Abominatrix is one of the few I've had conversations with that I would call "real". As in, more than listing the bands and what they sound like. So thanks for that.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:53 pm 

Huge, huge, huge, huge, huge thanks to HowDisgusting and his top 50 whatever lists. His death metal ones between 1985-1996 really helped me get into a lot of bands I was waiting for. I'll be checking out his other ones as well - this user can do no wrong (mostly) :)
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:57 pm 

First and foremost, the people who take the time to update and submit info for the archives. I've done a few in depth leaps into the archives and have easily found a ton of great bands and stuff this way. So, I have to thank MA in general.

Other than that and since we're thanking reviewers too, Ultraboris and Gutterscream mainly for me. It felt like each and every band page I stumbled upon for awhile, one of these guys had a review up for an album and so on. So just simply following their reviews and going through all of them was a great gateway to a lot of stuff I love and enjoy today.

And there's a handful here on the forums whom would pop up regurarly in old USPM, or speed metal threads, and I would definitely get some great answers and suggestions this way too. I'm pretty sure the few of these guys know who they are. :)

Sagebear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:23 pm 

Thank you caspian for leading me to Thorr's Hammer, The Gathering, and Sleep through your reviews, and The Angelic Process through your constant worship of them.

Thank you Empyreal for leading me to Dark Moor and After Forever through your reviews, especially the latter band. Manilla Road is good too!

Thank you Avaitor for Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Pink Floyd, Death, Type O Negative, and countless others I am forgetting.

From other sites, I have to thank a few friends for informing me of Autopsy, God Dethroned, and Stratovarius.

The_Kreator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:52 pm 

I don't even have to ask for recommendations on anything.

I just read through the forums and find new bands every time!

Thank you to all who post on MA!

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:02 am 

Although not a regular here anymore, I'd like to thank Drowned for introducing me to a plethora of obscure, underground DM. Some pretty nice stuff he's written about.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:53 am 

The_Kreator wrote:
Thank you to all who post on MA!

Hey that's me! Go me!

On a serious note, Empyreal for Bloodbound. I don't like the riffs, but the melodies are fantastic, and the vocalist is magnificent.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:51 pm 

Thanks to RevBau for indirectly getting me into Infernal Revulsion.

hisownfoot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:

seriously, that dude is epic.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:27 am 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Definitely HowDisgusting's death metal list. I think I found Cosmic Atrophy's Codex Incubo from that list. As well as Adramelech's Psychostasia.

Two of my favorite death metal albums now.

Thanks HowDisgusting! :thumbsup:

I've been singing the praises of "Psychostasia" a lot this year. That album is just so intriguing and fascinating for me.

I'd like to thank Natrix and Dark Mutuo (sp?) for talking about Supuration's "The Cube". I've not at all been impressed by the other stuff I've heard from this band, but this album is incredible..original, heavy, highly melodic and extraordinarily creative. Even the clean vocals, which aren't that great if taken on their own merits, work fantastically well in the context of the music. I love the solos and the odd guitar effects and twisting, vaguely pop-like melodies. It all reminds me of what Fear Factory might sound like if they wrote great riffs and truly dynamic music.

Finally, thanks to the 16th toothson and one or two other folks for talking at length about Carbonized. I kind of wrote them off y ears ago for some reason, but the first album rules and even the second one is pretty damned interesting.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:51 am 

hisownfoot wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

seriously, that dude is epic.

Me? Why thank you to both of you. I wish I didn't fuck up my hand ... I can't review at the moment and I have a lot of black metal albums I need to hit.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:32 pm 

I think nothing has helped me as much as the list of albums on the newbie introduction thread. Thanks to Reaper (who probably doesnt visit the forums now) and to whoever else was involved in making that list.

As far as individual recs go, thanks to whoever mentioned dissection and summoning to me. I ll keep adding names as I remember things.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next