Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:54 am 

So I started wondering - while Sweden and Finland had strong death metal scenes in the early '90s, also Denmark had it's share, but I haven't heard of any good Norwegian death metal from that time, save for Darkthrone's Soulside Journey. I reckon that black metal was more popular at the time there, but there sure must have been some bands who still played death metal in Norway? I would be interested in discovering any. I know of some newer bands or who moved from black metal to playing death , like Blood Red Throne or Aeternus, respectively, but I'm specifically looking for some good stuff from the early '90s, also feel free to discuss the scene itself.

PinkNmetal
Unsolicited care for desperate laddies

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:54 am 

I... Think this goes in the recommendation forum

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:56 am 

check out Cadaver, Balvaz, Molested and grindy Mortem. All have a decent type of Death Metal style which makes them recognizable easily.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:28 am 

Old Funeral is actually pretty darn good, sharing some traits in their riffing with the following black metal wave, so it's keeping a norwegian appeal in it's soundscape which I enjoy.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:38 am 

Early Norwegian death metal is rare since it wasn't the "in-thing" at the time. They all say the same thing in the documentaries about the black metal scene there, nobody wanted to play death metal because it wasn't cool. It's not strange that the black metal bands got all the attention, they did murder and burn churches after all.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:16 pm 

EDIT: Retardedness made me not read the OP, begone.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:47 pm 

Rottenrectum wrote:
Early Norwegian death metal is rare since it wasn't the "in-thing" at the time. They all say the same thing in the documentaries about the black metal scene there, nobody wanted to play death metal because it wasn't cool. It's not strange that the black metal bands got all the attention, they did murder and burn churches after all.

While not as popular as in the neighboring Scandinavian countries, death metal was the "in-thing" in Norway until late 1991 or so. Darkthrone weren't the only band to do it. They just managed to get signed and then stuck with the name when they shifted direction. Examples of other prominent Norwegian black metal bands who started out as death metal:

Enslaved (Phobia)
Arcturus (Mortem)
Immortal and Burzum (Amputation, Old Funeral)
Emperor (Xerasia, Embryonic, Thou Shalt Suffer)

The first Immortal demo was death metal and from what I remember the pre-Satyricon demo was slower, doomy death metal also.

Anyway, check out all the bands peterott mentioned plus Thou Shalt Suffer - "Into the Woods of Belial". Fester is a good one too.

halokaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:28 pm 

Drowned wrote:
Immortal and Burzum (Amputation, Old Funeral)

Burzum and Old Funeral is two different bands, the only link between them is Varg.

Anyways, Buttocks was an death metal band, but didn't really get a name for them self, just some demos and that was that, like many other bands.
Here's a live video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0EkreHE ... re=channel

And of course Vomit, from same area and time as Mayhem, but like Buttocks, they just put some demos. The vocalist now a Christian who hates the church and all kind of organised religion.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:29 pm 

Algol is another example of good Norwegian death metal, which is what Buttocks mentioned in the last post ended up as. Not really "early", but that's not something that ought to put you off hearing them. Read Nightgaunt's review for more info.

Also, this does belong in the rec forum.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:35 pm 

I'm going to sound crazy saying this but, check out Blizzard Beasts, as I really feel that is more of a death metal album than a black metal one, albeit with large influences of the latter.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:16 am 

I have heard Blizard Beasts, it actually might have been the album that got me into black metal; around that time (2001-2002) Immortal's stuff from BB onwards was pretty much the only black metal I could tolerate. Didn't Abbath mention in some interview that Blizzard beasts was an attempt to go more into the Morbid Angel direction?

As for the bands Peterott suggested, so far I checked out two of them: Molested turned out to be amazing stuff; at first it sounded like it might be somewhat hard to get into, but by the middle of the album I already was enjoying the hell out of it. Quite unique death metal, there aren't many bands I could come up with for a comparison; maybe something along the lines of Demilich or early Atrocity, spiced up by some folky sections.

And Cadaver totally blew me away. I listened to the "...In Pains" album, and that one is perfect progressive death metal, comparable to "Spiritual Healing" and "Human" era Death and Atheist, with sufficient amount of originality to it. Stellar stuff indeed.

Will look into other suggestions too, as these two turned out to be excellent :headbang:

Ulflesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:44 am 

besides early cadaver, molested or algol that were mentioned before, i'd strongly recomand stuff like fester (winter of sin mainly), groms (with a lot of doom influence), disgusting (some weird stuff) or even the flesh (just check the storming of heavens gate which has some great long epic songs).

halokaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:14 pm 

http://www.deathmetal.org/death_metal/m ... wayDM.html

An artical about Norwegian death metal with Fenriz, Anders (Cadaver) and Manheim.

Reply to topic