Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
chibikain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:28 am 

Lately, I've got interested in the more extreme subgenres of Doom Metal. I already searched for some bands in the Archives, but I don't feel very satisfied with the results. Basicly I'm searching for Funeral/Drone Metal with additional influences from Black and/or Death Metal. A bit like SunnO)))'s song "It took the night to believe", Thergothon's material but with more black metal or Mordor's (Che) Odes demo. More ambient sound-alikes of Bethlehem's (Ger) first album (Dark Metal) are also apreciated

I'm mainly interested in the following genres:
-Drone Doom
-Funeral Doom
-Black Doom
-Death/Doom

I'll be forever grateful to persons who recommend me bands/albums/songs who combine those genres (especially if they combine them (nearly) all).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by chibikain on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:26 am 

Denmark's Woebegone Obscured provide you with your funeral doom with black and death influences. Their debut, 'Deathstination' is rather obscure, but very good. Catacombs one and only album 'In the Depths of R'lyeh' expertly moulds funeral and death together. Elysian Blaze are also worthy of mention. For drone doom Nadja are the best example I have found with 'Desire in Uneasiness', 'Bliss Torn From Emptiness (Re-Recorded)', 'Corrasion' and 'The Bungled & The Botched' all being fine examples of their work (and most notably the more experimental albums).

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:17 am 

You should try Deinonychus, their sound is sometimes a lot similar to that of Bethlehem. I can't really recommend one album in particular, but the one I'm familiar with the most, Insomnia, should be good.

Kauan combine folk, doom, black metal and much more stuff. You should try them too.

Funeralium have those "tortured" vocals à la Bethlehem, they play funeral doom with some black metal influences.

Dictator combines dark ambient with a black/funeral doom "torture" style. Very good, 'haunting' stuff.

And Dolorian, you probably know them already, if not, be sure to check them. The first album mostly has black metal vocal, but then they started using whispers and things like that. The music can be described as "ambient black/doom".

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:09 pm 

I'm sure you've already heard of these bands, but I would recommend:

Nortt - great Funeral Doom with Black metal influences.
Forgotten Tomb - played a Black/Doom mix on their earlier albums, and have now moved slightly away from that, playing SD Black metal.
Evoken - combine Funeral Doom and Death Doom, really quite crushing music.
Katatonia - Dance Of December Souls, I would say that this is a Black/Doom album, definately a classic Doom album anyway and you should check it out.

Man_who_lost_the_sun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:12 pm 

Faustcoven are the best black doom band there is, period. Also hit up Carpathian Full Moon and Abysmal.

bradtheimpaler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:08 pm 

I've been listening to a Funeral Black Metal band called the Austrasian Goat quite a bit lately. Really crushing, raw, depressive.

Another droney, funeral type band with a touch of black metal influence I've been into is Wormphlegm. Shockingly intense for incredibly slow music and droney as sin.

My favorite funeral doom band by FAR is Mournful Congregation. Much different from the two, very polished, expressive, emotional songs, but heavy heavy heavy. Love 'em.

Make that comparison again and someone else will do it for you.

Thor_Evlor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:05 am 

In addition to the goodness already mentioned:

Trees "Light's Bane"
Gnaw Their Tongues "An Epiphonic Vomiting of Blood"
Blood of Martyrs "Ex Nihilo"
Lord Mantis "Spawning the Nephilim"
Blood of the Black Owl "s/t"
BOTBO/Celestiial split

And everything from Abruptum and Khanate

Thor_Evlor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:08 am 

Actually almost everything Stephen O'Malley might be what you're looking for - Burning Witch, Thorr's Hammer, Khanate, KTL...

Reply to topic