Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:51 am 

For no particular reason, bands I like that I don't see mentioned a lot around here, probably becuase they're new, or have broken up.

The Absence - Good old fashioned Gothenburg-style melodic death metal. Except they're from Florida. Their first album From Your Grave is superior to the second, Riders of the Plague.

Anomalous - Technical death metal done well. They only have the one EP Cognitive Dissonance, but I like it. Ignore the review. One asshole hater brought the average down, revealing the principle problem with review scores.

Archeon/Made of Hate - Don't know why they changed their name. Maybe their label owned "Archeon", so when they jumped ship they had to reform under a different name. Same band, same lineup, same theme. Both the Archeon-era End of the Weakness and Made of Hate's Bullet in Your Head are enjoyable.

Cor Scorpii - This band is essentially Windir. After Valfar died, the guys went off and did a couple of other things for awhile, mostly forgettable excpet maybe for Vreid's Kraft. Get their album and their demo if you can find it.

Element - Term term "wank-free technical death metal" could apply to these guys. Just plain good structural songwriting. They're the ones from California if you look them up.

Gardenian - Am I the only person who still likes Gardenian? Any of their albums deliver uncomplicated Gothenburg metal, and can be found ridiculously cheap anywhere. How can you not have Gardenian in your collection?

Mors Principium Est - I have Inhumanity and their newest Liberation = Termination. Seriously, what's not to like? I don't even like Finnish bands in general, but here's an exception. These guys know how to deliver exceptional melodic death metal, and are reasonably stable.

Scrambled Defuncts - One of Russia's few outputs that you'll ever hear me recommend. Found during a trolling of the Encyclopaedia for technical bands that I hadn't heard before. I saw "Russia" and thought, well shit. Gonna be a lot of lo-fi crap about being cold. But you know what? They're actually very good. Catacomb Abbatoir is a lot easier to come by than Hackled in Gore, but the latter is a better album.

Without Grief - More extinct Gothenburg. Like Gardenian, it's been a long time since this band was a band, but either of their albums can be had for just a few bucks. There's no excuse not to own one.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:18 pm 

Quote:
Scrambled Defuncts - One of Russia's few outputs that you'll ever hear me recommend. Found during a trolling of the Encyclopaedia for technical bands that I hadn't heard before. I saw "Russia" and thought, well shit. Gonna be a lot of lo-fi crap about being cold. But you know what? They're actually very good. Catacomb Abbatoir is a lot easier to come by than Hackled in Gore, but the latter is a better album.

Mikey introduced me to em some months back, and yeah, excellent band.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:21 pm 

As far as I'm aware, Cor Scorpii do have a decent following here or otherwise. I think I've seen the mentioned on a few occasions. I have 'Monument' but am yet to listen to it. Melodic sub-genres were never my thing, despite actually liking melody. Its very odd. Death metal is a very specific genre to me. I rarely like any bands within it. I'm a black metal man primarily. Exceptions do sometimes find their way into my thinking. Bolt Thrower, for example, but that's given.

The only way I'll usually listen to death metal is when its incorporated into other styles. Death and funeral doom works surprisingly well -- My Shameful for example or a band I recently discovered ... Woebegone Obscured.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:26 pm 

GTog wrote:

Anomalous - Technical death metal done well. They only have the one EP Cognitive Dissonance, but I like it. Ignore the review. One asshole hater brought the average down, revealing the principle problem with review scores.

Ever thought that maybe he has a point, and that the review scores are a good way to give a variety of opinions?

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:21 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
GTog wrote:

Ever thought that maybe he has a point, and that the review scores are a good way to give a variety of opinions?

Possibly. And possibly the moderators let slip meritless reviews now and then. I've heard a lot of bands I don't like, and a lot I don't think anyone would (or should) like. Just because it's not my cup of tea doesn't mean it's a 0% though. There's no purpose to that other than to deliberately skew the average. But that's an argument for the Reviews thread.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:17 pm 

GTog wrote:
Fuck you, too.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:16 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
GTog wrote:
Fuck you, too.

I may take your review and just substitute Gorod everywhere. You pretty much summed up my feelings on that one.

Yes it is the real Goat.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:54 pm 

GTog wrote:

Look, I like this, too, but I can live with HowDisgusting's review. He presented good points and I thought his review was justified. However, I'm not going to dislike this album because of it, or vice versa.

Anyway, yeah, it's good. They've announced a new album for a while now, and there's been no update for some time. I'm guessing it's a label problem more than anything, since they said they've already got at least 7 tracks down. Hope to hear from them soon.

GTog wrote:
Element - Term term "wank-free technical death metal" could apply to these guys. Just plain good structural songwriting. They're the ones from California if you look them up.

Is this the band that made Aeons Past? If so, then yeah, they're also good. I will say, however, that I didn't like the album when I first heard it - the production didn't quite do it for me, and the whole album suffered. I've warmed to it now, and I await their next album, which should be due this year sometime.

GTog wrote:

Mate, read my review of Hackled In Gore, and you'll see what I think of it. :D I've got a copy of both albums, but I'll agree that the latter is of better quality. I was disappointed to learn that they used a drum machine, but the music is fucking killer, anyway.

So, what exactly is happening with that band? There's been nothing in terms of information for about two years now. They've apparently fallen off the face of the Earth, which is a real shame because Hackled In Gore showed us some extremity that I hadn't heard before. If they could continue with that sound (with the interludes!), I'd definitely try to find their next album. If they decide to make one, of course.

If I made a thread like this, the opening post would be very long. I'd love to, but I don't think I will. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:47 pm 

This kind of thing doesn't really fit the requirements of this particular subforum, as it doesn't have much context or cohesion (and it's unhelpfully titled...). However, the effort itself is appreciated, and were I capable of any warmth, I would warmly encourage you to copy/paste your original post into this thread in the Metal area. Even better, pick a couple (or more, hell) of those bands and make a more in-depth thread about them.

You ought to, also, Mikey. Every little bit helps, and you're really not the 'minority' tastewise that you seem to think you are.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.