Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:23 am 

Usually when you hear people talking about ambient black metal or ambient metal, the music they are reffering to is simply metal with long, drawn-out atmospheric guitars, that play over an ambient backdrop. That can be very good. But its not what I want right now.

What Im looking for are metal albums (any genre is fine) that make frequent use of strictly ambient passages. The best example I can provide is The Axis Of Perdition's Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital. Almost every other song on that album is an ambient song, not a metal song; and in almost all of the lengthy metal songs, the music breaks down into even more ambient passages. That is the kind of thing Im looking for.

Thanks in advance.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:32 am 

The first thing that comes to mind is Old Man Gloom. Side project of Aaron Turner from Isis featuring members of Converge and Cave In. The non-ambient parts are an extremely aggressive blend of Converge and early Cave In style modern hardcore and the more intense bits of Isis, but minute for minute, each of their albums contains far more ambient music than metal blasts.

diSEMBOWELMENT alternate heavy, fast grindy death metal sections with extremely slow, drawn out doom sections that are quite ambient and floaty.

I think this is the type of stuff you're looking for, rather than stuff like Jesu, drone doom, or ambient black metal, right?

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:40 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind is Old Man Gloom. Side project of Aaron Turner from Isis featuring members of Converge and Cave In. The non-ambient parts are an extremely aggressive blend of Converge and early Cave In style modern hardcore and the more intense bits of Isis, but minute for minute, each of their albums contains far more ambient music than metal blasts.

diSEMBOWELMENT alternate heavy, fast grindy death metal sections with extremely slow, drawn out doom sections that are quite ambient and floaty.

I think this is the type of stuff you're looking for, rather than stuff like Jesu, drone doom, or ambient black metal, right?

When it comes to Old Man Gloom, yes, thats exactly what Im looking for. Thanks :beer:

I'll look into dISEMBOWELMENT more, but from my understanding, they don't contain many "pure" ambient sections, rather, they play "ambient-ish" metal. But, I haven't heard to much myself, so I'll look into them further.

Also, to everyone else who may post. In my first post, I didn't mean that I don't want atmospheric black metal or the like. I re-read my OP, and it might be a bit misleading. As long as it has many strictly ambient sections, its what im looking for, no matter what the genre. I dont expect Death + Lustmord (though that would be totally fucking awesome).

Neantise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:42 pm 

xJx_Joshua_xJx wrote:
Also, to everyone else who may post. In my first post, I didn't mean that I don't want atmospheric black metal or the like. I re-read my OP, and it might be a bit misleading. As long as it has many strictly ambient sections, its what im looking for, no matter what the genre. I dont expect Death + Lustmord (though that would be totally fucking awesome).

Try Altorių Šešėliai and Uno Actu. Both black metal mixed with true ambient.

Nice to see a metalhead who likes Lustmord's music.
Last.fm

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:25 am 

Darkspace? I guess I don't get exactly what you are looking for, because there is tons of black metal that has strictly ambient parts. Are you looking for JUST ambient and only ambient, or music that has strictly ambient parts thrown in..?

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:38 am 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Darkspace? I guess I don't get exactly what you are looking for, because there is tons of black metal that has strictly ambient parts. Are you looking for JUST ambient and only ambient, or music that has strictly ambient parts thrown in..?

Im looking for any type of metal album that has a lot of strictly ambient parts thrown in.

And to Neantise. Hell yes, Lustmord kicks ass :beer:

aptrgangr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:55 pm 

You might want to check out tomhet: http://www.myspace.com/tomhetband

newdarkages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:51 pm 

Try Averse Sefira.

SPna15
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:40 pm 

Try "All the Cold". They have several long, purely ambient songs, as well as some ambient black metal parts.

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:00 pm 

I suggest Vinterriket's albums "Winterschatten", "Der letzte Winter - Der Ewigkeit entgegen" and "Gebirgshöhenstille". These three albums contain both ambient black metal songs and purely keyboard ambient songs. Some of his releases are pure keyboard ambient stuff but at least these three albums contain metal as well.

Another good one would be Kataxu. Both "Roots Thunder" and "Hunger of Elements" contain both metal tracks with ambient parts and purely ambient tracks.

Evilfeast's "Mysteries of the Nocturnal Forest" has both metal tracks with ambient parts and ambient tracks. The album "Lost Horizons of Wisdom" contains five long metal tracks that also have ambient parts in them.

The bands that I've listed above don't use narration during the ambient parts, the ambient parts are just keyboard passages.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:28 pm 

You might like Astral Luminous, good black metal mixed with some ambient sections. They also have pretty cool lyrical themes.

Biomisere
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:29 am 

Any fan of black metal or dark music in general should be into Lustmord. Shit, he's one of the greatest artists ever to walk this planet.

If you're looking for something similar to TAOP, check Spektr out. Whereas Deleted Scenes only has two strictly industrial/ambient tracks, both of Spektr's albums are basically 50% metal and 50% ambient. And they have the same cold, industrial feel to their music as does TAOP, but less frenzied and horror-inducing.

Also, check ColdWorld out. Even if he falls under the standard "ambient black metal" category, he has three wonderful ambient tracks on his full-length. Also, it's one of the greatest records ever released, so there's no point in not checking it out.

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:03 pm 

Biomisere wrote:
Any fan of black metal or dark music in general should be into Lustmord. Shit, he's one of the greatest artists ever to walk this planet.

Hell yes. And his calloboration with Robert Rich should be nothing less than mandatory listening for all fans of dark music.

Biomisere wrote:
If you're looking for something similar to TAOP, check Spektr out. Whereas Deleted Scenes only has two strictly industrial/ambient tracks, both of Spektr's albums are basically 50% metal and 50% ambient. And they have the same cold, industrial feel to their music as does TAOP, but less frenzied and horror-inducing.

Spektr is perfect! Thanks.

Biomisere wrote:
Also, check ColdWorld out. Even if he falls under the standard "ambient black metal" category, he has three wonderful ambient tracks on his full-length. Also, it's one of the greatest records ever released, so there's no point in not checking it out.

Yeah, Melancholie is an amazing album. Coldworld are probably one of my favorite black metal bands for the time being.

Thanks again guys. Im slowly working my way through all of these recs.

Reply to topic