Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:23 pm 

The sound I'm seeking is fast, rumbly, 80-83 style proto sped metal type stuff. I'm way into Tank, Bulldozer, Midnight, Abigail, Fingernails, Early Bathory, "Kill em All" and "Killing is My Business", Inepsy and of course Motorhead and Venom. You know the style - amped up NWOBHM metal that isn't quite thrash yet, with a punk backbone, loud bass, raspy vocals and generally ugly. Suggestions for any new or old bands welcome.

Try to steer away from all the "Discharge meets Motorhead" crust style bands though please. (Disfear, (A)uktion, Wolfpack etc.) I'm plenty knowledgeable about that stuff, I'm looking for stuff that's a little bit more "true metal" in spirit. I guess. Obviously, I've made an exception for Inepsy, those dudes don't fuck around.

Thanks!

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:31 pm 

Warfare is a really cool band in the NWOBHM era that has the kind of sound you want. Try to find the Metal Anarchy: The Best of Warfare 2CD comp or the Metal Anarchy CD reissue, both by Neat/Castle/Sanctuary. (Misguided choice of name for the comp, but they probably weren't anticipating reissuing the album at the time.) Both should be fairly easy to track down. Unfortunately most of their other stuff is a bit more difficult to get.

ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:34 pm 

Fuck, I knew I forgot one. I have the "burn down the kings road" 7" Warfare is cool. I read somewhere that they had beef with Metallica the first time they went to Europe.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:50 pm 

I'll give this a shot...

Razor's debut certainly fits the bill, thin production and it's pretty straightforward stuff, but I love it. After their debut their Venom-ish sound kind of disappeared and they got a bit heavier/thrashier or something.

Running Wild's first two albums should definitely be something to check out too. Both had that evil speed metal flavor to them, before they started up the pirate themes. Not a huge fan of the second album, but the debut is awesome.

Warrant's EP and Enforcer might be something to check out, kind of getting more into early German speed metal with them, but I'd say all that stuff definitely has some obvious Venom influences to them. There's a handful of other German speed metal albums I could probably mention, but I think that Running Wild and Warrant here have thicker vocals, so it's probably more of what you're looking for.

Kind of a hit or miss, but both Iron Angel and Living Death might be worth looking into too...

Destructor's Maximum Destruction? Maybe. Totally classy, dirty "metal" in my eyes though.

Torture (US)'s stuff. The EP especially.

ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:05 pm 

So let me get this straight....there's a non poser band called Warrant?
First Slaughter, then Poison, what'll think of next, an NSBM band called Tiger Tailz?

All joking aside thank you for the recommendations. I've been meaning to check out Razor for forever now, and I always avoided Running Wild because I was under the impression that they were some power metal band that sang about pirates. Not at the beginning apparently.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:39 am 

you already know the first Bathory album?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:46 am 

some good recs that i wouldve given myself.for thrashy nwobhm, also check out atomkraft and avenger.NME is an alright 80s Venom impersonation.

TheMartyrOfBeauty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 pm 

Not sure if it's really what you want, but Zemial sound a lot like UTSOTBM-era Bathory...

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:52 pm 

Also try Backwater, Fingernails, Tyrant (GER), Chainsaw (GER), the debut from Voivod, and maybe a few tracks by Killer (BEL).
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:10 pm 

I'm guessing you know Amebix already. In case you don't though, I will suggest them. Generally quite gloomy, but there are definitely some more propulsive numbers, especially on "Monolith". The vocals are a neat amalgam of Cronos and Lemmy.

Sabbat (Japan) is a good choice. Their early stuff is probably what you want. Try "Envenom", or any of the myriad compilations of early recordings, like "Sabbatical Holocaust" or "For Satan and Sacrifice". The band's later stuff might be up your alley, too, but they become less and less Venom-like and generally thrashier, while injecting some Japanese folk touches into the mixture. Really cool band, obviously.

Gehennah (Swedish) is worth a listen. Try "King of the Sidewalk", I'd say..or "Hardrocker". They are filthy, simple, and fun.

Bit of a stretch perhaps, but how about Impaled Nazarene's "Latex Cult"? Very punkish and furious stuff.

Some VUlcano might please you. Their debut is mandatory, but I actually think the 1988 album, "Who Are the Truee", is a little more Venom-like.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:18 pm 

Cool, thank so much for the recommendations everyone. So far I've been only able to check out Running Wild and Razor, and both are exactly what the doctor ordered. I'll be scoping out the rest in the next few days.

And yes, I'm a long time Bathory, Amebix and Early Voivod fan. I actually prefer Amebix's earlier stark sounding Killing Joke influenced material to their later more metallic stuff, but all of it's great.

Some of the pre st Bathory album stuff is perfect example of this style of music (Burnin Leather, You Don't Move Me etc.) Those songs made it to the Jubileum best ofs, I wonder if there's more. Maybe some of you know?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:57 pm 

i forgot to mention this before but, there's a relatively unknown thrash band called TERRIFIC VERDICT, which fits excellently into this category. excellent Venom-ous thrash. think they only have demos out but they are around. i have the 88 demo and have been getting well into it lately. worth checking out.

RZris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 am 

Venom-like.......

N.M.E. the original
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=8024

early Heavy Metal+Evil=Black Metal type stuff, very similiar to Venom. Unholy Death-good album/start

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:05 am 

already mentioned em. i have said album, pretty sweet. dunno if anyone else would consider 'Necropolis' (the band) VENOM-sounding?

Last edited by DeathRiderDoom on Tue May 05, 2009 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:14 am 

How precisely is it that no-one has mentioned Hellhammer or Celtic Frost in this thread? For shame.

Also look up Nifelheim and Nocturnal Graves for something a bit newer, still in that classic blackened thrash style.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:59 am 

ENKC wrote:
How precisely is it that no-one has mentioned Hellhammer or Celtic Frost in this thread? For shame.
Nightgaunt wrote:
By the same token, unless the recommendee's profile says that s/he is is 14 years old and/or contains an extensive rant about emo kids, it is generally safe to assume that they have probably heard of the most iconic bands pertaining to the general area of their request (i.e. "The Big 4", the iconic Norwegian BM bands of the second wave, etc.). Recommending these renders you a pest among pests.

Anyway, you could perhaps try Trench Hell. They are a dirty sounding thrash band from Australia and rock the whole old school sound. They play metal that is in the vein of Venom and Hellhammer, but they aren't as ugly as the latter band. However, that doesn't mean they aren't quality.

- Tim Minchin

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:50 am 

I merely meant that I would have expected them to arise as a natural point of comparison. And I considered mentioning Trench Hell, but I've enjoyed Nocturnal Graves more and the two bands are interrelated.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:55 am 

ENKC wrote:
I merely meant that I would have expected them to arise as a natural point of comparison.

Ah, okay then. ;)

- Tim Minchin

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:25 am 

Wastelander - Wardrive

ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:37 pm 

ENKC wrote:

Also look up Nifelheim and Nocturnal Graves for something a bit newer, still in that classic blackened thrash style.

Mmm....the CF sound isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Not disputing their godliness, but I had more of blues based rock n roll undertone in mind. I'd say G. Warrior and pals' style is a little bit more dissonant.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:36 pm 

ExtremelyXBadXBreath wrote:
but I had more of blues based rock n roll undertone in mind.

Well, I had decided they probably weren't raw enough but if that's what you're after I can't recommend Bludwulf enough.

Forrizzledog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:21 pm 

Raven's Creed. If you've ever heard of Orange Goblin, this band has the singer and (I think) drummer. Ben sounds very much like he grew up on a steady diet of Lemmy and hard liquor.

Also, have no fear, Raven's Creed do not sound like Orange Goblin at all.

They may be a bit closer to the Hellhammer style though, now that I think about it, so it may not fit exactly. Sweet band anyway.

http://www.myspace.com/wwwmyspacecomravenscreed

ergottenstench
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:44 pm 

try G.A.T.E.S. from japan

they kinda remind me of inepsy

ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:05 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
but I had more of blues based rock n roll undertone in mind.

Well, I had decided they probably weren't raw enough but if that's what you're after I can't recommend Bludwulf enough.

Oh, I know Bludwulf. The Rev. (Vox) and I go way back to the mid 90's when we were both Upstate NY punks. If you're interested, here's an upload of his old crust band, The End's demo on my blog:
http://inatimeofhate.blogspot.com/2009/ ... er-ny.html

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:23 pm 

Hobbs' Angel of Death always sounded to me like a mix of Bulldozer's debut with Venom's Black Metal.

Also you should check out Artillery's We are the Dead demo. Let me preface this by saying I really don't like anything they released post-demo era and that demo sounds NOTHING like their later stuff. It's one of the first thrash demos out there and it's really damn good.

And an off-beat rec. Try Varathron's Genesis of Apocryphal Desire. They may be a black metal band, but in their demos they had so much thrash Venom-esque speed metal that you're likely to enjoy it as a half-thrash record (it's very distinct from blackened thrash).

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:07 am 

Damn, it's gonna take me a while to catch up with all these suggestions. I've gotten a chance to check out Torture,(who are probably my favorite so far), Tyrant(Meh, more on the Priest side of things, not Bad) Sabbat (Fucking Awesome, kicking myself for sleeping on this band for so long) and Tyrant (I think I only really dig the faster songs....)
Again, thanks for the help.
The G.A.T.E.S. / Metal Skull split rules.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:31 am 

^ haha! SABBAT tends to have that effect. have you heard PARIAH (UK) on a related note? excellent.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:38 am 

Artillery's debut might be worth checking out too. It's got some influences and well the whole album is all over the place (hard to classify). Very heavy on the bass too.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:38 am 

Oh, I know Bludwulf. The Rev. (Vox) and I go way back to the mid 90's when we were both Upstate NY punks. If you're interested, here's an upload of his old crust band, The End's demo on my blog:

Wow, small world I guess. I'm grabbing the demo now but I have a feeling it won't be half as entertaining as the post that went along with it. Thanks.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:23 am 

Infernal Majesty's stuff needs to be heard. You can check out their latest EP here (It's a self-release, so you won't be able to buy it anywhere): http://metaltroopsblog.blogspot.com/200 ... -2007.html

I hear a lot of Venom in this band, mixed in with various death and thrash stylings. Obviously their 1987 album None Shall Defy is regarded as a thrash classic, but their sound has changed quite a lot since.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:39 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

Wow, small world I guess. I'm grabbing the demo now but I have a feeling it won't be half as entertaining as the post that went along with it. Thanks.

Well, seeing as how both of you dig Bludwulf, I'd suggest both of you check out (the Dutch) Heretic's latest album Gods Over Humans, Slaves Under Satan. it's a severe departure from their previous works, sounding much more like old hard rock crossed with classic punk. If you're like me and you were taken in by the badass punk metal on Heretic's split with Bestial Summoning (Splitting Skulls for Satan) then you'll no doubt love the new album.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:01 pm 

I have their debut, Black Metal Holocaust. Its pretty much nothing like I expected based on the reviews, so I shelved it for a very long time and came back to it last month. Turns out its actually pretty awesome, bassy, primitive black metal. I was hoping someone would shed some light on what the rest of their stuff sounds like, especially the newest, and it definitely sounds up my alley, thanks.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:27 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I have their debut, Black Metal Holocaust. Its pretty much nothing like I expected based on the reviews, so I shelved it for a very long time and came back to it last month. Turns out its actually pretty awesome, bassy, primitive black metal. I was hoping someone would shed some light on what the rest of their stuff sounds like, especially the newest, and it definitely sounds up my alley, thanks.

Well, their second full length (Devilworshipper) is actually a bit different from their first. it's still primitive, bass heavy black metal. However, it's much more primitive than their first. It's slower, more punky and it's got a sound quality that reminds me of Barathrum's Eerie.

BTW, have you heard Hadez newest album (Doomsday: The Death Rides) yet? I've been listening to some samples from it on their myspace page and I must say it's very different from their last, more death metal oriented album. it's rather thrashy, honestly. I'm definitly going to buy it as soon as I get paid.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:52 am 

ATOMKRAFT AND WARFARE (both UK)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:02 pm 

Flames of Hell are pretty much a clone of these earlier bands that came a bit later, their music is worth a listen, though the band is mostly noted for their obscurity.

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:12 pm 

Evil Blood (Croatia) - one of my favourite bands, active from 1982-present under different names, very Venom-esque, actually, I heard them before Venom and when I heard Venom I thought "what a great band, simmilar to Evil Blood"

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:37 pm 

Syphilitic Vaginas

Probably the best Motorhead/Bathory/Venom/NWOBHM/black/speed/punk band going today. Total awesomeness, leads galore, highspeed metalpunk galore. Check it out - you will never regret it!

Astrum502
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:47 pm 

Being a metalhead since the late 70's myself, and really inspired with the early 80's underground metal, and a metal musician myself since then, I'd have to recommend my band ASTRUM for those wanting a taste of the old school blackened punk thrash death. Especially the new material, which is coming along awesomely. Check out the new song REAPER on the myspace. Everyone is loving the new stuff, and I am very inspired by classic Venom, Sodom, Hellhammer, etc.

Reply to topic