Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:02 pm 

sorry i just had to get that off my chest. I went to see the flight:666 movie and it re-invigorated why I always argue that MAIDEN are the best band of all time. There's NO band like them and there never will be.

Did anyone else see it?

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:08 pm 

Nope, didn't see it, but I'll be buying the dvd next month

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:24 pm 

I really want to see it. Iron Maiden is my favourite band too.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:38 pm 

Smeg_head wrote:
sorry i just had to get that off my chest. I went to see the flight:666 movie and it re-invigorated why I always argue that MAIDEN are the best band of all time. There's NO band like them and there never will be.

Did anyone else see it?

Care to give us some details about the movie and what makes it so good?

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:49 pm 

Its very well made, it really captures what MAIDEN are all about; not about the money, not about the fame, just about the music. It shows the integrity, sophistication and indefatigability of Maiden, unsurpassed by any other band. Their a religion in places like South America and why not? their music give a sense a 'hope' and 'inspiration' especially in government oppressed places like Colombia, shown in the movie.

It also shows how Maiden bonds everyone together, fans young and old from all countries, it doesn't matter what obscure or tiny corner of the world you're from, 'IRON MAIDEN'S GONNA GET YOU NO MATTER HOW FAR!

Excuse me if i sound extremely cheesy, but i can't help it, Maiden just takes me to another level completely.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:52 pm 

Smeg_head wrote:
Its very well made, it really captures what MAIDEN are all about; not about the money, not about the fame, just about the music. It shows the integrity, sophistication and indefatigability of Maiden, unsurpassed by any other band. Their a religion in places like South America and why not? their music give a sense a 'hope' and 'inspiration' especially in government oppressed places like Colombia, shown in the movie.

It also shows how Maiden bonds everyone together, fans young and old from all countries, it doesn't matter what obscure or tiny corner of the world you're from, 'IRON MAIDEN'S GONNA GET YOU NO MATTER HOW FAR!

Excuse me if i sound extremely cheesy, but i can't help it, Maiden just takes me to another level completely.

Cheers, that really sounds awesome and I'll be sure to check it out :)

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:06 pm 

Even for non-Maiden fans its definitely worth checking out.

I doubt there's any other band (please correct me if i'm wrong non-maiden fans) that would make you cry or be on the verge of tears because of their sheer class, astounding musical talent and dignity which you really feel through the songs. They've never 'sold-out', never followed trends, they're unpretentious and down-earth people. They've just always been MAIDEN.

LordGothic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:10 pm 

these kind of movies always shows my metal is the best genre of music there is and im proud to be a metalhead

up the irons

MuffinMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:32 pm 

Some Kind of Monster made me cry out of boredom.

It seems like a good recommendation, I'll check it out whenever I can.

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:46 pm 

MuffinMan wrote:
Some Kind of Monster made me cry out of boredom.

It seems like a good recommendation, I'll check it out whenever I can.

Its NOTHING like 'Some Kind of Monster', it doesn't go into their personal 'other issues'. It's made by the same creator of 'Metal: A Headbangers journey' which is also good but this is just about Maiden. It's strange, but you could just as easily be watching Maiden as they were back in the 80s with the energy they possess and put across to the same (if not more) passionate crowds.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:02 pm 

I think Maiden are very overrated and you can quote me on that.

as far as the NWOBHM movement goes, Motorhead owns them left and right.

Forrizzledog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:17 pm 

spectreofdeath wrote:

I don't think this is a fair comparison. Seriously, name one band Motorhead doesn't own left and right.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:21 pm 

I'm looking forward to watching it. Though it's only on for a week here and tickets are limited, but I've already reserved a spot for next Saturday.

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:25 pm 

spectreofdeath wrote:

They are far from overrated and they deserve all the recognition they get. You can't even compare Maiden to Motorhead, Maiden are in another league and anyway Motorhead aren't even metal, they're punk.

Khalian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:27 pm 

Forrizzledog wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:

I don't think this is a fair comparison. Seriously, name one band Motorhead doesn't own left and right.

Iron Maiden

Biedrik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:43 pm 

Khalian wrote:
Forrizzledog wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:

Iron Maiden

Said exactly what I think.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 pm 

Biedrik wrote:
Khalian wrote:
Forrizzledog wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:

Iron Maiden

both WRONG

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:57 pm 

Does it show any fan footage from Australia? I am interested to see if I'm in this film haha.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:07 pm 

Smeg_head wrote:
anyway Motorhead aren't even metal, they're punk.

Heretic!

I wouldn't say they're really overrated, in the metal world at least. The thing with them and Metallica is that too much non-metal fans worship them when there's band they could equally like out there, it's just the name.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:09 pm 

Smeg_head wrote:
Motorhead aren't even metal, they're punk.

You haven't heard any Motorhead outside of Ace of Spades, huh?

And Maiden aren't any more overrated than any other classic, well-known band are. That criticism is pretty much null and void against them.

Biedrik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm 

steady666 wrote:
Does it show any fan footage from Australia? I am interested to see if I'm in this film haha.

I think it's all South American.

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:37 pm 

steady666 wrote:

Yes there is. It'd be prity funny if you could actually manage to find yourself in the huge crowd! It even shows people in the queue and some people talking about Maiden, maybe you can spot yourself there.

Empyreal wrote:
Smeg_head wrote:
Motorhead aren't even metal, they're punk.

You haven't heard any Motorhead outside of Ace of Spades, huh?

And Maiden aren't any more overrated than any other classic, well-known band are. That criticism is pretty much null and void against them.

lol, i actually like Motorhead and know their stuff so can make a fair judgment. I just think their whole attitude and music is much more punk than metal, even though they're recognized in (and have influenced to an extent) the metal world. People just assume their metal because of their image (long hair etc).

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:45 pm 

Smeg_head wrote:
steady666 wrote:

Yes there is. It'd be prity funny if you could actually manage to find yourself in the huge crowd! It even shows people in the queue and some people talking about Maiden, maybe you can spot yourself there.

Well cameras did come up to me a few times. Once in the line, another went past when I was up the front, and the again after the show. I want to see it now! Haha.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:46 pm 

spectreofdeath wrote:
Biedrik wrote:
Khalian wrote:
Iron Maiden

both WRONG
Okay, SoD, we get it, you have shitty taste. No need to prove it to us anymore. Might have to change your name to agentsteel666.

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:57 pm 

steady666 wrote:
Smeg_head wrote:
steady666 wrote:

Well cameras did come up to me a few times. Once in the line, another went past when I was up the front, and the again after the show. I want to see it now! Haha.

hahah wow, you probably will see yourself then! that'd be a really cool 'claim to fame' ahaha

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:12 pm 

Smeg_head wrote:
it doesn't matter what obscure or tiny corner of the world you're from, 'IRON MAIDEN'S GONNA GET YOU NO MATTER HOW FAR!

before long, they'll have played everywhere on Earth and will venture off to outer space.

looks like a good documentary anyways, i've seen a few previews and have been pleased with them.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:17 pm 

I'm going on the 1st of May with the same friends I went to the show with (well, they were in a different part of the audience). It should be awe - wait for it - some.

<edit>

Oh, and it seems to have been completely overlooked in the hype, but I'm massively pumped for the live album. It's just a pity there's no track from Perth on it. :( Ah well, it will still be legen - wait for it - dary.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Veddartha
Apocalyptic Destroyer of Angels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:57 am 

spectreofdeath wrote:
Biedrik wrote:
Khalian wrote:
Forrizzledog wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:

Iron Maiden

both WRONG

Shut up idiot. If you don't like Maiden or think they are overrated thats fine, you have the right to think whatever you want, even if it's bullshit, but this is a Maiden thread so you aren't gonna change the opinions of those who like them here, and certainly nobody cares for what you have to say on the matter.

So please fuck off.

Count_Venereal wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
WASP on the Supreme Court right now!

I will vote for whoever makes this happen.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 am 

Fuck I was going to start a thread on this yesterday! Cant wait to see it. It was made by Sam Dunn who's crew travel with the band, flown on their jet by Bruce, and as said seems to give a real insight into the brilliance that is Iron Maiden. It will be interesting in seeing the clips from Costa Rica and Colombia (I think??) were they have never played before to see the crowds reaction, I herd one dude quit his job to go see one of these gigs, DIEHARD fans or what! Maiden Rule.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 am 

Smeg_head wrote:
lol, i actually like Motorhead and know their stuff so can make a fair judgment. I just think their whole attitude and music is much more punk than metal, even though they're recognized in (and have influenced to an extent) the metal world. People just assume their metal because of their image (long hair etc).

Haha, say what? I'm amused. Your "fair judgement" is far from the spot, son!
Then I guess we can call all the thrash bands "Hardcore Punk" too?

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 am 

Here is a link about the dvd, telling what will be featured on it, about the different versions available, track listings etc.
http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?cat ... cleid=1125

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:28 am 

Also forgot to mention, new album in 2010, awesome news or what!

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:57 am 

The are no words to express the feelings being created by Iron Maiden. This band drives you insane. Simple as that.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:08 am 

Smeg_head wrote:
Even for non-Maiden fans its definitely worth checking out.

I doubt there's any other band (please correct me if i'm wrong non-maiden fans) that would make you cry or be on the verge of tears because of their sheer class, astounding musical talent and dignity which you really feel through the songs. They've never 'sold-out', never followed trends, they're unpretentious and down-earth people. They've just always been MAIDEN.

I am quoting this for undisputable truth which cannot be denied.

Pity Maiden hasn't toured where I've lived so far.

Anthelnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:37 am 

Lol, someone likes Maiden a lot... Unfortunately, I've never seen them live, but I really would like to (I hope they still tour) and I hope they don't play 18+ concerts. Iron Maiden are, in fact, one of the greatest bands of all time, if not the greatest.

Dunno about verge of tears though.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:32 pm 

Anthelnor wrote:
I hope they don't play 18+ concerts.

No chance - part of the magic is that teenagers are still turning up to see them, which proves that they're still valid after all these years.

Anthelnor wrote:
Dunno about verge of tears though

I do. :P
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:31 pm 

Biedrik wrote:
steady666 wrote:

I think it's all South American.
Except Peru :cry:

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:33 pm 

Jarnroth wrote:
Smeg_head wrote:

that's just my opinion matey and happens to be the opinion of Lemmy himself and I quote:

"It was because we sounded like a punk band but looked like a heavy metal band! That's why we were called heavy metal, because we had long hair. Otherwise we'd have been put in the punk bracket."

I can understand why people consider them metal, some of their songs i'd put in the metal bracket, however i feel (the vibe i get) overall is that they have much more in common with punk.

DenialFiend wrote:
The are no words to express the feelings being created by Iron Maiden. This band drives you insane. Simple as that.

damn straight.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:38 pm 

And God said, Let there be ownage: and there was Iron Maiden.
And God saw Iron Maiden, that it was good: and God divided Iron Maiden from the poseurs.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:57 pm 

Smeg_head wrote:
Jarnroth wrote:
Smeg_head wrote:

that's just my opinion matey and happens to be the opinion of Lemmy himself and I quote:

"It was because we sounded like a punk band but looked like a heavy metal band! That's why we were called heavy metal, because we had long hair. Otherwise we'd have been put in the punk bracket."

I can understand why people consider them metal, some of their songs i'd put in the metal bracket, however i feel (the vibe i get) overall is that they have much more in common with punk.

I call it rock'n'roll, or hard rock, but they became metal.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next