Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MDeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:31 am 

I'm really confused about this band.. did they release their first 2 album on CD's by R.E.X or they released them on CD's only on 1999 by Solidstate?

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:11 am 

I think it was SS only. I'm a big LS fan and have only gotten their cd's via SS Records.
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:22 am 

I'm not sure I understand the question, but the first three albums were released by R.E.X. originally. I have the original cassette release of the self-titled album, and the original CD versions of the second and third albums. All on R.E.X., from a lifetime ago when I used to listen to them.

pilawhitetrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:23 am 

Their first 3 cd's were released by REX and were quality thrash and then death. SS signed them after their lead singer left and they became metalcore.

MetalFRO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:21 pm 

Yes, Living Sacrifice were originally on R.E.X. for the 1st 3 albums, then signed with Solid State (or essentially formed Solid State, what with Bruce Fitzhugh basically starting that sub-label of Tooth & Nail Records), after R.E.X. went under in 1996. Solid State re-issued the bands 1st 3 albums in 1999. The debut had new mastering & re-done drum tracking, "Non-Existent" was remastered, and "Inhabit" got remastering plus new artwork. All 3 contain new liner notes from original vocalist DJ and other band members.

I only own the S/T re-master, for lack of an original copy, though I plan on eventually acquiring the other 2 remasters. I do have the R.E.X. originals for the 2nd & 3rd albums, both quality death metal platters. Most people love the music of "Non-Existent" but complain that DJ sounds like he's constipated when "singing". "Inhabit" isn't as well-lauded, though most agree it's a solid album & has an improvement in the vocal area, as well as better production than its predecessor.

MDeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm 

samekh wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the question, but the first three albums were released by R.E.X. originally. I have the original cassette release of the self-titled album, and the original CD versions of the second and third albums. All on R.E.X., from a lifetime ago when I used to listen to them.

I'm asking if the first 2 CD's were released by R.E.X. and rereleased again by SS, or their first release on CD was by SS.

Thanks for the answers, I just bought them and was told their 1st press, and when I received them I saw their both from 1999 so I thought it can't be the 1st press.. thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by MDeth on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cadena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:14 pm 

my favorite album is inhabit

ms_39455
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:18 pm 

MDeth wrote:
samekh wrote:

I'm asking if the first 2 CD's were released by R.E.X. and rereleased again by SS, or their first release on CD was by SS.

Thanks for the answers, I just bought them and was told their 1st press, and when I received them I saw their both from 1999 so I thought it can't be the 1st press.. thanks for clarify this thing for me.

Yes, the first three albums (s/t, Nonexsitant, and Inhabit) were all originally put out by R.E.X. and were all subsequently re-released by SolidState well after R.E.X. folded. Any of those albums released by SolidState are reissues.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:24 pm 

MetalFRO wrote:
Most people love the music of "Non-Existent" but complain that DJ sounds like he's constipated when "singing".

Nonexistent is a strange album. I've heard unintelligible vocals before, but none that sound quite like DJ does on that album.

What I always thought was weird was how much the band changed their sound among each of those three albums, especially the vocalist. It didn't even sound like the same guy.

MetalFRO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:01 pm 

samekh wrote:
What I always thought was weird was how much the band changed their sound among each of those three albums, especially the vocalist. It didn't even sound like the same guy.

If you listen to all 3 enough, you can tell it's the same guy - DJ had a certain tone to his voice that carries through all his stuff w/ LS. Keep listening to the 1st 3 records and you'll hear that common thread come through.

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:25 am 

Still a good band though. Inhabit is my favorite as well... but even The Hammering Process was an excellent technical album... much more so than Reborn.
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:07 pm 

I have all of LS albums, but I like their first 3 much more than their last 3.

I pretty much can't stand metalcore at all, but the drumming is very well done on the later albums.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.