Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 am 

Moravian_black_moon wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
the return of black metal?

was i the only one who really enjoyed Drudkh?

It depends on your taste. I was never into the pagan/nature metal myself. I'm into the more primitive stuff. And that phrase wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I just think Engram is great and I think it will bring good things to the genre.

Quote:
anyway this might be a great athmospheric/ambient black metal album but there is more to black metal than just that.

Actually the ambient side of Beherit that you'd expect to hear is limited. It's almost entirely metal.

There is also headbangable black metal like barathrum or Otargos.(man im really a otargos fanboy)

madbringer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:33 am 

Anyone who says stuff like 'BLEK METUL WEZ DED N STEIL FOR FIFTEN YERS' was either, in a coma for said 15 years, boarded up in a basement in central Bergen with 6 albums for said 15 years, or a mediocre troll.

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:12 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Moravian_black_moon wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
the return of black metal?

was i the only one who really enjoyed Drudkh?

It depends on your taste. I was never into the pagan/nature metal myself. I'm into the more primitive stuff. And that phrase wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I just think Engram is great and I think it will bring good things to the genre.

Quote:
anyway this might be a great athmospheric/ambient black metal album but there is more to black metal than just that.

Actually the ambient side of Beherit that you'd expect to hear is limited. It's almost entirely metal.

There is also headbangable black metal like barathrum or Otargos.(man im really a otargos fanboy)

I don't understand what you're saying.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:33 pm 

Demon Advance is quite special and definitely as ritualistic as DdtM. I love how disjointed the riff at 5:00 sounds.

~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:01 pm 

I just heard a couple songs from this. If they are any indication as to what the whole album sounds like, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:13 pm 

Noctir wrote:
I just heard a couple songs from this. If they are any indication as to what the whole album sounds like, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Which tracks?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:15 pm 

Can't wait to pick this up. The only review so far is...frustrating. A 100% rating with little musical description and even an acknowledgment that the album is a "grower". Yugh...

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:16 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Can't wait to pick this up. The only review so far is...frustrating. A 100% rating with little musical description and even an acknowledgment that the album is a "grower". Yugh...

Lol. The album's only been out for 12 hours, and it's a "grower".

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:18 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

Lol. The album's only been out for 12 hours, and it's a "grower".

I'm on my seventh listen at the moment...

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 pm 

EntilZha wrote:

Consecutive? I have to assume if you were interested in giving your opinion you would have already, but I'd definitely be interested to hear it. I took basically nothing away from the review, and I don't want to download it.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

Consecutive? I have to assume if you were interested in giving your opinion you would have already, but I'd definitely be interested to hear it. I took basically nothing away from the review, and I don't want to download it.

It's hard to describe. "Grower" really is the most appropriate word. I mean, I loved it the first time I've heard it, but it's how the album's minimalism on the surface is combined with the thousands of semi-hidden details in the background that makes it REALLY interesting.

~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Noctir wrote:

Which tracks?

"Destroyer of Thousand Worlds" and "Pimeyden Henki". The last new release I bought was Nifelheim's Envoy of Lucifer. Looks like this one will be next.

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:26 pm 

madbringer wrote:
Anyone who says stuff like 'BLEK METUL WEZ DED N STEIL FOR FIFTEN YERS' was either, in a coma for said 15 years, boarded up in a basement in central Bergen with 6 albums for said 15 years, or a mediocre troll.

Agreed.
That sentence made the whole 100% review worthless.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:58 pm 

schwuppe wrote:
madbringer wrote:

Agreed.

Thank god. I thought I might have been the only one to have thought that. I truly hate ... HATE ... That review and that train of thought.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
schwuppe wrote:
madbringer wrote:

Agreed.

Thank god. I thought I might have been the only one to have thought that. I truly hate ... HATE ... That review and that train of thought.

The review sucked. The sentiment is basically correct, though. Black metal has been in a pretty much of a state of complete coma since the second wave died. Yes, there have been a few great albums released since then, but overall it was a huge tank of sewage.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:09 pm 

There's a better review up now, but I would've given it a much higher score.

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Yes, there have been a few great albums released since then, but overall it was a huge tank of sewage.

A few?
I don't want to start namedropping, but rate of great BM albums released after '94 did not shrink that much.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:01 pm 

Not only is CannibalCorpse's review better, it looks like something conjured up in a fantasy world where I personally mandate to each metal artist what I want their new album to sound like. Oath of Black Blood, slightly better production (hopefully not to much), pinch of thrashy, dash of Bathory, and are you fucking kidding me? I have to track down a copy of this ASAP.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:04 pm 

schwuppe wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Yes, there have been a few great albums released since then, but overall it was a huge tank of sewage.

A few?
I don't want to start namedropping, but rate of great BM albums released after '94 did not shrink that much.

Completely and utterly agree with this. Although I highly respect the influence of the second wave and the central figures that became prominent during that time, since the turn of the century, in particular, there have been a shit load of great black metal material. There seems to be a great divide when it comes to black metal. You either tend to love the second wave and feel relatively little for the next generation, or the other way around. Of course, there are those in the middle, but they seem to be in the minority. Personally, whilst I do appreciate the second wave, I think black metal has gone from strength to strength. Bands like Strid and Burzum (amongst others), who's influence is probably unparalleled, have been left behind since 2000 onwards. GRR! It really irks me when people harp on about the early 90's like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. :)

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:06 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Not only is CannibalCorpse's review better, it looks like something conjured up in a fantasy world where I personally mandate to each metal artist what I want their new album to sound like. Oath of Black Blood, slightly better production (hopefully not to much), pinch of thrashy, dash of Bathory, and are you fucking kidding me? I have to track down a copy of this ASAP.

If you want to give in to temptation and download, feel free to pm me.

Does anyone know where I can buy the cassette version? I can't find it anywhere.

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:27 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
schwuppe wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

A few?

You either tend to love the second wave and feel relatively little for the next generation, or the other way around. Of course, there are those in the middle, but they seem to be in the minority.

I don't really for the release date of a record.
'94 was nevertheless the best year for BM.

gila_monster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:31 pm 

Upon my first impression, it was pretty damn good. I liked the production in how it had an electric tinge to it (probably because of the earlier electronic albums), and the riffs as well as atmosphere were good. I'd need to give it a few more listens to see if it lasts though. I find some albums I'll like upon first hearing but then I get bored with them after that.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:39 pm 

1st wave of black metal is imho the best, but then i seem to be rather unusual in that viewpoint.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:55 pm 

As a general rule I usually don't download full length albums, but I broke under the pressure and yanked this album. I need to give it a little more time, but I think this may be equally as good as Drawing Down The Moon, though obviously this is pretty different.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

hellhippie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:55 pm 

i'm gonna review it this weekend ,,, listened today 4x
Demons, devils, dark spirits
From church horror tales
The hordes of dead roar...

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:10 pm 

I preordered the thing and promised myself I'd not give in to a leak before it arrives, but tonight I broke down and listened to it. So, it sounds like a mash-up of DDtM and Messe riffing with some tasteful EDM baggage. It makes sense and it's really good. I don't know what the naysayers are thinking, but I do know they'll be praising Engram after a break period of a few years as they did with every other Beherit album.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:32 pm 

hellhippie wrote:
i'm gonna review it this weekend ,,, listened today 4x

I've only had time to listen to it twice, but I think I'll review it this weekend also. This is definitely going in my top 5 for 2009.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:37 am 

I really enjoy Drawing Down the Moon, but can't stand the screechy/scratchy Oath of Black Blood. The former possesses incredible atmosphere, coagulating simple, droning riffs with evil vocals. I also like the ambient piece "Nuclear Girl;" it conjures all kinds of horrifying post-apocalyptic radiation-induced abnormalities among the survivors...

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:42 am 

Osmium wrote:
I really enjoy Drawing Down the Moon, but can't stand the screechy/scratchy Oath of Black Blood. The former possesses incredible atmosphere, coagulating simple, droning riffs with evil vocals. I also like the ambient piece "Nuclear Girl;" it conjures all kinds of horrifying post-apocalyptic radiation-induced abnormalities among the survivors...

The production on "Engram" is much better than OoBB, but it's still well within the realm of rawness. There are some droning elements to this one, but it's definitely different from DDtM.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:51 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
There's a better review up now, but I would've given it a much higher score.

Keep in mind that I'm not a huge Beherit fan. DDtM has some great moments but I don't absolutely adore it or love all of it.

The new one has a lot of quality, otherwise I wouldn't have given out a 78% score. And as I said, the Bathory influence is rather surprising and almost omnipresent, but one will, at any time, be able to tell that it's Beherit you're listening to.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

ikuturiso
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:29 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy the cassette version? I can't find it anywhere.

The finnish Record Store X will sell it, though it won't be out till the 15th.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:58 am 

Hey guys, I just thought of something amazing.

A new Blasphemy album.

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:18 am 

Nolan, that's a pipe dream, buddy.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:26 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Hey guys, I just thought of something amazing.

A new Blasphemy album.

how about we settle for a Necroholocaust full length album?
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

ThaBrutalestGutterol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:42 am 

Well I heard almost all of it (except for the long final track) and I'm definitely gonna buy this! I hate nearly all black metal that came after the first wave but damn Beherit certainly stands out. I didn't like Oath Of Black Blood very much, mainly because it was just generic "br00tal" black metal with "kvlt" production...and every song sounded exactly the same. But Drawing Down The Moon was a fucking awesome album. Full of truly dark atmosphere and very blasphemic lyrics :nods:
I'm so glad we actually got a sequel for that amazing album.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:46 pm 

...Listening now. Not impressed. All the riffs on this album so far are almost 30 years old.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:08 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
...Listening now. Not impressed. All the riffs on this album so far are almost 30 years old.

30 years old.. a typo? I dunno.

I've given it a listen (albeit on crappy speakers at a really low volume) and I'd say it's pretty good. Currently I'd give it a 75%, but I can really see it growing on me.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:17 pm 

caspian wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:

Not a typo. The first 4 songs don't have a single riff that isn't lifted directly from a classic thrash record. Either Welcome to Hell/Black Metal, or one of those early Hellhammer/Celtic Frost releases.

Blah. Fuck this band.

Sinvocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:59 pm 

The Anti-Beherit Battalion, huh?

That's actually rather funny.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:02 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
caspian wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:

Not a typo. The first 4 songs don't have a single riff that isn't lifted directly from a classic thrash record. Either Welcome to Hell/Black Metal, or one of those early Hellhammer/Celtic Frost releases.

Blah. Fuck this band.

I heard that too... I don't say "fuck this band", because I quite like older Beherit, but this was a rather... boring... release.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next