Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:27 pm 

This thread is somehow inspired in the Deicide thread that is being discussed right now. I find out that many people likes the first couple releases and the Stench of.. by Deicide, wich was released more than 10 years later. The albums between them are utterly crap, and the new one also sucks. This kind of things happen a lot, when bands have a couple great releases and the rest are garbage. On the other hand, you have bands like Bolt Thrower, I havenĀ“t heard a weak release by them. So, where is the difference among them, I mean, is Deicide a good band or just had luck when releasing the good stuff?, What other examples of coherent bands (regarding the quality of their releases) are out there?
Not hearsay but the will of man

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:37 pm 

Immolation and Vader are two bands I find very reliable, not a bad album between them. Morbid Angel IMO as well though Heretic was a bit below the rest of them. I think you're being a bit harsh on Deicide though, Insineratehymn and In Torment were rubbish but most of the other stuff was actually quite decent I think. They were the band that got me into death metal though so I might be biased.

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:44 pm 

This is argued a lot, but I've liked every Cannibal Corpse release I've come across. Sometimes people hate everything but the first three or like only the newer stuff, so I guess its a matter of opinion, but they don't really have a real fuck-up album.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 am 

I think the word you're looking for is "consistency", rather than "coherence." Correct me if I'm wrong...
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:14 am 

I think Impaled did this pretty well.
Is this a DM only thread?

Because if not, then I would have to say Judas Iscariot was pretty consistent/coherent [whichever is fit], yet maintained a real sound and real originality in his style.

Xasthur is an obvious one.. as is alot of the blasting bands like Marduk, Dark Funeral, Tsjuder, Kult ov Azazel, etc...

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:15 am 

Cannibal Corpse was consistent for 4 albums. Then they shit out for a little while. Kill and Evisceration Plague are both excellent however, so hopefully they'll start another consistency stretch. I know it's a little soon for thoughts about the next album, but I hope they change it up a little, without compromising the quality.

I've always thought Deicide was consistent as I find a lot of their albums to be awesome.

Is this thread specifically for Death Metal bands? It was never stated, and there are a ton of non-Death Metal bands who fit the bill as well I'd like to talk about.

EDIT: Mezentus beat me to the question.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:46 am 

The thing is that Bolt Thrower and Vader for the most part have always used the same exact formula from album to album. 1 notable thing about Deicide is that they use to have a thrashy death metal sound and slowly became more just straight death metal (as did most early death metal bands.) For another band this may not make a difference but maybe it doesnt work for Deicide? I for one like their later work just as much as their earley stuff but Im not a big Deicide fan. Im not what you call a 'die hard.'

Last edited by RevBau on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:50 am 

I find Incantation also up there with consistency along with Immolation and Bolt Thrower.

http://www.last.fm/user/AmberBazaar

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.