Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:10 am 

KingTiger wrote:
No problem. You're welcome. Glad to be of use.

Edit: NOCTE OBDUCTA's farewell album "Sequenzen..." is all in the vein of a post rock/ambient/psychedelic album.
They started as a raw and pure BM band but had an interesting metamorphosis during their career.

Been on a road trip until today, so this is the first chance I've had to really give that stuff a listen. I'd have to say that Agrypnie's stuff was my favorite out of what you listed, although Imperium Dekadenz are also quite good. As for Nocte Obducta, I actually liked the music from Vorbei and Und Pan more than the more experimental stuff in Ende, but I'm not sure I'm digging the black/death hybrid vocals. It might grow on me, though.

Thanks again!

Last edited by iamntbatman on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrashin8302
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm 

LokiGoddess wrote:
Thrashin8302 wrote:
I feel I haven't given Black metal a proper try and would like to.The closest I've gotten is early In the Sign of Evil and Obsessed by Cruelty Sodom and Viking/black which I enjoy a lot.So I would like some recommendations to get into the genre.I enjoy faster stuff so that is a plus and pretty good production is also a plus.Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Well, if speedy proto-black metal is what you want, then I'd suggest you go all out and check out Blasphemy's Fallen Angel Of Doom. The production quality is rather poor, but the music contained within is essentially Sodom's In The Sign Of Evil in it's most extreme and most primitive form. It's a barbaric and punishing listen, so I'm not certain that you would like it. If you do decide to give it a listen, then try listening to at least three times. FAoD generally comes across as a blurr of noise on the first listen.

Thanks for the recommendation.I think I have enough proto-black stuff.Any recommendations to help me get into black more as it is now?It needs ok production and the songs shouldn't sound extremely repetitive.They need to be able to play their instruments too.I like pretty fast stuff.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:25 pm 

Sadness_for_Life wrote:
I'm looking for more romantic shoegaze-ish black metal in the vein of Alcest, Celestia, Mortifera and Amesoeurs. Any suggestions?
You might want to try Caïna. It's a bit dark and maybe has more post-rock than shoegaze, but it's definitely a band worth checking out.
WebOfPiss wrote:
A doctor.
Why such a great contribution? Because we care about your opinion so much?

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:00 pm 

I'm also looking for more shoegaze/post-rock black metal like Caina, WitTR, Alcest, and Les Discrets. If anyone could help, it would be appreciated.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:04 pm 

Mezentus wrote:
I'm also looking for more shoegaze/post-rock black metal like Caina, WitTR, Alcest, and Les Discrets. If anyone could help, it would be appreciated.

Well there's Amesoeurs, which I assume you already know. Also try Fen, Altar of Plagues, Lantlôs, Thränenkind, Heretoir, While Sad Spirits Around Me Stroll, Liar Liar Cross on Fire, Onryō, Feos, Shyy, Líam. The last 4 aren't on the archives because they don't have any physical material yet, they're just obscure bands I happen to know ;).

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:17 pm 

Wow, thanks!! :D

Luisangel91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:27 pm 

can someone recommend me raw black metal like antaeus or behexen

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:36 pm 

I already know of this band and it's been awhile since I heard them but for some reason I can't recall their name right now because I always get their name mixed up with Bal-Sagoth. Can someone remind me? They are from Austria.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:04 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
Well there's Amesoeurs, which I assume you already know. Also try Fen, Altar of Plagues, Lantlôs, Thränenkind, Heretoir, While Sad Spirits Around Me Stroll, Liar Liar Cross on Fire, Onryō, Feos, Shyy, Líam. The last 4 aren't on the archives because they don't have any physical material yet, they're just obscure bands I happen to know ;).

Awesome! Thanks for that, it really helped me out as well!

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:00 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

No problem. I have fallen in love with this increasingly popular genre blend.

marktheviktor wrote:
I already know of this band and it's been awhile since I heard them but for some reason I can't recall their name right now because I always get their name mixed up with Bal-Sagoth. Can someone remind me? They are from Austria.

Belphegor?

angelmk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:57 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

this genre is great indeed. in fact Feos has an ep Katastasi ,good one.Fen are incredible ,lanlos are also good.. try The River Runs Black it is awesome stuf . Solstafir i love that one..Weakling - not realy shoegaze moments but i love it, it's explosive Prog Black , Ludicra are good..

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:41 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

Colossal Voids from Fen's new album reminds me of Slowdive a lot, so I suppose it's a good band to check out if looking for shoegazey black metal. I second it. As for the others, I've have check them out myself, so thanks for the rec. :P

ShadowlOflDarkness
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:09 pm 

Hi everyone. I'm looking for melodic black metal bands. I mainly want dark/depressing/suicidal/sinister lyrics and beautiful and black atmospheres. Preferably no keyboards during the whole the song.

Bands I like: Dark Fortress, Dissection.

Hope you can help me.

Saludos.

Slorafossen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:08 pm 

I'm a huge fan of death and folk metal. The main reason I don't listen to black metal is that it's not heavy enough, so basically, I'd like some brutal black metal (if that's a genre).

My Last.fm is in my sig if it's needed.

Last.fm

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:17 pm 

Slorafossen wrote:
I'm a huge fan of death and folk metal. The main reason I don't listen to black metal is that it's not heavy enough, so basically, I'd like some brutal black metal (if that's a genre).

My Last.fm is in my sig if it's needed.

Antaeus. Now.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:18 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

No problem. I have fallen in love with this increasingly popular genre blend.

marktheviktor wrote:

Belphegor?

That's them. Belphegor. I always get that name mixed up with Bal-Sagoth. Not a big fan of either band. But it just was driving me crazy what the name was again.

SPna15
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:35 pm 

Hi, I'm looking for some Atmospheric Black Metal similar to Sear Bliss's The Haunting. I want something that kind of has that dark atmosphere that still retains an air of hope. Bluesy/Classic rock solos and or horns are a plus.

Thrashin8302
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:43 pm 

Here it goes again.Maybe I'll get a good reply this time.What is some good black metal to help me get into the genre? I've listened to bands that are basically black metal with folk stuff so I think I'll like just normal black metal.Preferably stuff that's not too repetitious, is a little fast, has moderate to good production, and the musicians can play their instruments effectively(having pretty good solos is a plus).

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:16 pm 

Thrashin8302 wrote:
Here it goes again.Maybe I'll get a good reply this time.What is some good black metal to help me get into the genre? I've listened to bands that are basically black metal with folk stuff so I think I'll like just normal black metal.Preferably stuff that's not too repetitious, is a little fast, has moderate to good production, and the musicians can play their instruments effectively(having pretty good solos is a plus).

You might dig Bal-Sagoth. Go with their newer records.

SPna15
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:22 pm 

Thrashin8302 wrote:

Ulver's first album is a pretty good album for someone wanting to get into black metal. Although reading your request, it seems as if you may already have that album.

Thrashin8302
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:24 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Thrashin8302 wrote:

Thanks.I'll try them out.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:25 pm 

Thrashin8302 wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
Thrashin8302 wrote:

Ok, post back if you found that rec helpful or on target. I don't much care for them all too much but I know they have a decent "fringe" black sound.

Thrashin8302
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:36 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Thrashin8302 wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
Thrashin8302 wrote:

Ok, post back if you found that rec helpful or on target. I don't much care for them all too much but I know they have a decent "fringe" black sound.

Listened to a few songs.Didn't really do anything for me.I guess it seemed a little too power metal-ish to me.I still appreciate the recommendation though.

DreadDundee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:38 pm 

I'm looking for something like Reverorum Ib Malacht. The ritualistic and haunting atmosphere is what I dig from them and am looking for here.
I would also like to ask about what happened to the 'Demo 08' enlisted in their discography. Are there anywhere I can find the demo? I searched everywhere, but found nothing.
Thanks in advance.

Sickfuck999
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:09 pm 

i`m looking for something like angantyr or something like goatmoon

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:13 pm 

Thrashin8302 wrote:

Maniac Butcher!

TheFuneralopolis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:49 pm 

Anyone know of any good BM bands from the middle east? Curious about the scene, if there even is one.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:50 pm 

TheFuneralopolis wrote:
Anyone know of any good BM bands from the middle east? Curious about the scene, if there even is one.

There are a few bands from there that I was reading about in TERRORIZER. I wish I still had the issue so I could look them up for you.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:27 am 

TheFuneralopolis wrote:

Maybe Tangorodrim? I haven't heard much of their material, but from what I have listened to I gather that Tandogrim is an Israeli metal band that crosses the sounds of Hellhammer and old second wave acts like Darkthrone. They are oddly uninteresting for a band that brandishes such a promising combination. Oh well, I guess old school sound is meaningless without honest old-school spirit. I'd still suggest you give them a listen, though.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:31 am 

TheFuneralopolis wrote:

Yes. Moribund records released a album of the band 'Ayat' from Libanon. Pretty good album actually, you should check it out.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:37 am 

TheFuneralopolis wrote:

Narjahanam (Black/Death), Dhul-Qarnayn, Al-Namrood, Odious, Kaoteon, Arallu, Pagan... if you also mean north african countries, there's more.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:40 am 

A simple request:

stuff that sounds like Ulver's first album. So atmospheric and forest-y and a bit pretty, with a competent but no dominant vocalist. Also with some decent riffs throughout, I don't want it to be hugely flowery. As much like Bergtatt as possible.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:44 am 

Does France Bm scene have some bands similar to Peste Noire (especially Folkfuck Folie album)? It would be nice to hear more france bm bands. Which would you recommend? If course, without such well known bands like DsO, Mutilation. Thanks.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:24 am 

SPna15 wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for some Atmospheric Black Metal similar to Sear Bliss's The Haunting. I want something that kind of has that dark atmosphere that still retains an air of hope. Bluesy/Classic rock solos and or horns are a plus.

Try Forest Silence "Philosphy Of Winter", they are a side projest of Sear Bliss. Fantasic album full of atmosphere.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 am 

Thrashin8302 wrote:

Try the later Windir releases, no solos though, great song writing with a good production, Sear Bliss "The Arcane Oddessy" or Immortal "At The Heart Of Winter" might also interest you.

OmegaMitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:39 am 

I love Darkthrone right now, I've been really getting into them and I love the feel of their music, so fucking cold!

Thrashin8302
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:52 am 

STORMM wrote:
Thrashin8302 wrote:

Try the later Windir releases, no solos though, great song writing with a good production, Sear Bliss "The Arcane Oddessy" or Immortal "At The Heart Of Winter" might also interest you.

Thanks man!I'll try those out.

SPna15
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:47 pm 

STORMM wrote:
SPna15 wrote:

Try Forest Silence "Philosphy Of Winter", they are a side projest of Sear Bliss. Fantasic album full of atmosphere.

I probably should have mentioned that I already have that. It is an excellent album though.

hisownfoot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:25 pm 

caspian wrote:
A simple request:

stuff that sounds like Ulver's first album. So atmospheric and forest-y and a bit pretty, with a competent but no dominant vocalist. Also with some decent riffs throughout, I don't want it to be hugely flowery. As much like Bergtatt as possible.

Ulver sounding albums are few and far between. Ones i have found similar are

October Falls - Womb of Primordial Nature
Falls of Rauros - Hail Wind and Hewn Oak
Wood of Ypres - Pursuit Of The Sun & Allure Of The Earth
Kerbenok - O

I find Negura Buinget's Om gives the same atmosphere, along with Abigor's Orkblut, but those are subjective i guess. And I think, generally most people who like Ulver also enjoy Agalloch's Pale Folklore and The Mantle.

I hope this helps, Ulver is a hard nut to crack.

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:02 pm 

Thrashin8302 wrote:

Emperor!

They fit what you described perfectly. The first two albums are usually regarded as their best. The first one, In The Nightside Eclipse, has decent production, but it is still a bit muddy. The second one, Anthems To The Welkins At Dusk, is my favorite black metal album of all time. The production there is also better than in the debut, with one thing that might turn you off. The vocals are, most of the time, low in the mix.

If your from a more death metal oriented background, I would suggest looking into their third album, IX Equilibrium (my second favorite by them).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 142  Next