Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:07 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I don't think I can explain it any better, I'm sorry.

I don't understand either, for the record. I can't fathom in what sense GoW's cover system could possibly be called "complicated".

Kutulu wrote:
Since you are big into RPGs are there any in specific that are pretty good on 360? I saw Eternal Sonata but I am not sure about that, I heard N3 was terrible, and Tales of Vesperia is iffy because I hated Tales of the Abyss.

I have no idea why people say that. The last RPG I've played was Suikoden V on the PS2, and before that, probably Suikoden III. I really don't like RPGs that much except a handful mostly from the 16- and 32-bit console era. I haven't played any from this current generation and so far I don't see anything that interests me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:09 pm 

Shutdown wrote:
You haven't yet told me the advantage of it.

Once you're in cover mode, you can aim and fire without moving your character, a sort of quick-tapping toggle. It's easy, fun and efficient.

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:18 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Shutdown wrote:

Once you're in cover mode, you can aim and fire without moving your character, a sort of quick-tapping toggle. It's easy, fun and efficient.

But you can aim and fire without being in "cover mode". It's fun, easy to use but harder to master (a good thing) and doesn't require toggling between two modes so it's even more efficient.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:19 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Shutdown wrote:

Morrigan somehow seems to be able to verbalize, err, type everything that I can't for some reason.

I just feel like you guys are drawing an unfair comparison to another game that's in a different genre and so this debate is purposefully skewed by that. You can't draw a parallel to two completely different games, but you make Gears Of War seem dumb enough that you can just take an example of another game that is barely relate-able and draw parallels from that.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:24 pm 

Shutdown wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
Shutdown wrote:

But you can aim and fire without being in "cover mode". It's fun, easy to use but harder to master (a good thing) and doesn't require toggling between two modes so it's even more efficient.

I am now convinced that you haven't played a Gears Of War title because you can't actually do that.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:25 pm 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
neonchipmunk wrote:
The modern game that I felt got the difficulty level right was Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. IMO they nailed the difficulty level. It was perfect. It was hard enough that it was challenging but never felt imposable.

Yeah, but that was just on normal. ;) If you have Ninja Gaiden Black (or the Hurricane packs for the original version), check out some of the unlocked missions. Once you've beat an individual mission, you can up the difficulty for them individually. I've beaten about 2/3 of them altogether, about half of those on hard, and a handful on Very Difficult Ninja Master mode. Now, that's fucking hard. :D

That game is unbelievable though; probably my favorite Xbox game. That, or Chronicles of Riddick.

I thought that Black was skewed too hard. I think that the hard difficulty would make a good very hard setting. As for the missions I felt the difficulty spiked too early. Ninja Gaiden and NG:Black are some of favorite games of all time let alone on the Xbox.

And I meant all the diffuculty levels on the first one. With enough practice of course.

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:25 pm 

You know, this has got me thinking. What if the cover animation that you see while in "cover mode" in Gears of War existed in a game without toggled "cover mode", i.e. a standard first or third person shooter. When you move up to a wall and press against it the animation will change to maybe turn your back against it and to twist round and fire when shooting. This would also mean you aren't "locked in" to a cover mode and so you are free to move out of it exactly the same way as free movement in regular shooters. Gears of War's system seems to be a toggled animation change that takes away some movement control from the player. Why not have an automatic animation change that doesn't take any movement control away from the player? That seems to benefit everyone.

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:27 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Shutdown wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
Shutdown wrote:

I am now convinced that you haven't played a Gears Of War title because you can't actually do that.

I've completed Gears of War co-op for the PC with my housemate. What can't you do? My post explained what they could have done as an alternative, not what exists in the game.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:32 pm 

Shutdown wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Shutdown wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
Shutdown wrote:

I've completed Gears of War co-op for the PC with my housemate. What can't you do? My post explained what they could have done as an alternative, not what exists in the game.

Then I am completely baffled as to you want to talk about what the game isn't.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:32 pm 

Just got home from work, and in the two pages since I last posted, what have I learned?
1. 'Videogamers' take their hobby very seriously, or at least some do. :P
2. Morrigan likes more than just the RPG/Platformer classics. :D

Oh yeah, and roll on March, I want my copy of Empire: Total War!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:33 pm 

josephus wrote:
Oh yeah, and roll on March, I want my copy of Empire: Total War!

Yes! I've been watching the Sharpe series these past couple of years and I keep telling myself that I'll carry on the torch when I take on Napoleon this March.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 pm 

Team Fortress 2 Scout update is out. Hopefully the new weapons will be at least useful as alternatives (along the lines of medic update, which was awesome), the heavy and pyro updates were completely worthless from the clanmatch point of view. They also made new fixes to the spy (facestab fix etc.).

Well, it's going to be hilarious to play engie on pubs for a while.

edit: Used an unlocker to get all the achievements, the new weapons are even bigger jokes than the sandvich.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:37 am 

The Pyro's compression blast is probably the most useful tool they have IMO. The amount of Sentry Gun defended points that I have saved from ubered teams is enough to make me use it.
But then again, I don't play any competitive clan matches.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:40 am 

Shutdown wrote:
You know, this has got me thinking. What if the cover animation that you see while in "cover mode" in Gears of War existed in a game without toggled "cover mode", i.e. a standard first or third person shooter. When you move up to a wall and press against it the animation will change to maybe turn your back against it and to twist round and fire when shooting. This would also mean you aren't "locked in" to a cover mode and so you are free to move out of it exactly the same way as free movement in regular shooters. Gears of War's system seems to be a toggled animation change that takes away some movement control from the player. Why not have an automatic animation change that doesn't take any movement control away from the player? That seems to benefit everyone.

You mean like MGS?

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:12 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
Kutulu wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
Kutulu wrote:
On a whim I went out and bought a 360 elite and a few games(got a killer discount) and now I am trying to find out which games are actually worth owning, any suggestions?

Gears of War
Gears of War 2
If you're into that sort of thing, get Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero 3 (or wait for GH: Metallica, it will have Mercyful Fate in it)
Since you are big into RPGs are there any in specific that are pretty good on 360? I saw Eternal Sonata but I am not sure about that, I heard N3 was terrible, and Tales of Vesperia is iffy because I hated Tales of the Abyss.

I've also heard Saint's Row 2 was better than GTA4.

Lost Odyssey is the best RPG on 360 at the moment. Eternal Sonata is alright, but it's easy and short.

No No No No No No No No No No No No. Lost Odyssey is horrible. Oblivion is easily the best, even though it deserves only a 7/10.

Anyways, I bought The Orange Box for the 360. I can't play Team Fortress with bots? WTF?

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:18 am 

Oblivion is not the winner just because of its bugs and problems. At least, with the first updates and mods, it still sucked. I keep a distance from pc games this period, so I don't know if it has been improved lately.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:04 pm 

I don't get this whole bug talk. I played it when it came out on the 360, played fine. Played it recently after rebuying it and updated it via xbox live and still no bugs. PC version;s better, simply because of the mods.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:05 pm 

Considering what the guy asked for, I'm pretty sure he wanted JRPG suggestions, and Lost Odyssey is by far the best one on 360. It's the best Final Fantasy since FF9.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:07 pm 

Mother 3 disagrees.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:25 pm 

Regarding what?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:18 pm 

In you recommending Lost Odyssey instead of it :)

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:30 pm 

Fair enough, I've never played Mother 3, I remember trying to play Earthbound awhile ago, but lost interest pretty quickly. I should give it another shot.

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:04 pm 

My roommates have lost odyssey. It seems ok, but the boss battles are retardedly hard and the pacing is not so great. Tons of QQ to be had in the story though

MoonPenatrator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:42 pm 

do any of you guys play SPORE? and if you do how do you make those like amazing complex creatures in the creator without filling up the complexity meter. i have creepy and cute and the exo skeleton packs

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:00 pm 

MoonPenatrator wrote:
do any of you guys play SPORE? and if you do how do you make those like amazing complex creatures in the creator without filling up the complexity meter. i have creepy and cute and the exo skeleton packs

That game was fun for about 5 days. Just cheat to avoid that lame complexity meter. I thought that was incredibly limited and stupid. Doesn't really matter in the end, though.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 am 

DenialFiend wrote:
Oblivion is not the winner just because of its bugs and problems. At least, with the first updates and mods, it still sucked. I keep a distance from pc games this period, so I don't know if it has been improved lately.

What bugs? I've never seen any bugs on Oblivion, either for the 360 or the PC.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:51 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
Considering what the guy asked for, I'm pretty sure he wanted JRPG suggestions, and Lost Odyssey is by far the best one on 360. It's the best Final Fantasy since FF9.

And that's the reason why I hate it. It's your standard japanese RPG with your standard japanese rpg combat. Nothing special.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:09 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
DenialFiend wrote:

Depends on when you started playing the game.
Then, either you are one of the lucky ones, or you played another game. Bugs was one of the main issues of the game for his first days of appearence.

MoonPenatrator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:02 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:
MoonPenatrator wrote:

That game was fun for about 5 days. Just cheat to avoid that lame complexity meter. I thought that was incredibly limited and stupid. Doesn't really matter in the end, though.

I still think that game is fun when you make cooler and more creatures but where do you get the cheat?

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:47 pm 

DenialFiend wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
DenialFiend wrote:

Depends on when you started playing the game.
Then, either you are one of the lucky ones, or you played another game. Bugs was one of the main issues of the game for his first days of appearence.

Seriously, couldn't one of the bugs brick your system? The one where you pick up glitched loot or something?

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:12 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
Seriously, couldn't one of the bugs brick your system? The one where you pick up glitched loot or something?

:confused: Not that I know of.

DenialFiend must be one of the unlucky ones or we have different concepts of bugs, because I didn't encounter bugs or glitches or the likes playing the unpatched, original version.
Care to elaborate on these bugs?

Also, I finished playing the Empire: Total War demo (twice) and so far it's looking good, it's too early to tell, but I don't think it's going to beat Rome, although nothing can beat Rome: Total War.....NOTHING!!![/fanboyism]

I think I actually liked the naval combat better then the land combat, it's challenging to keep moving your ships so they have the best position at all times and the attention to detail is amazing.
The strategy system is simple to use but deep, for example, you can shoot off masts with a chain shot, then when the enemy is dead in the water, stay out of their field of fire weakening the crew with grape shot and then board them.

The land battles feel a lot faster, or maybe that's because I haven't gotten used to it, theres more emphasis on ranged combat of course, keeping a good line of fire, trying to take out artillery with cavalry, but melee combat is still important, it's more effective charging a weaker regiment instead of skirmishing to the end.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:33 pm 

I bought Oblivion the day it came out on only experienced one minor glitch with a quest because I did it out of order. It was fixed in the next patch. Other than that I know of some minor glitches but I was never victim of any of them.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:45 pm 

I got a 360 in a flash too, without thinking too much :P

atm I got
- Lego Indiana Jones/Kung Fu Panda (came with the Xbox)
- Gears of War
- Dead Space
- Fallout 3
- Silent Hill: Homecoming (haven't played yet)
- The Darkness (haven't played yet)
- Alone in the Dark (haven't played yet)

gonna get soon:
- Assassins Creed
- Bioshock
- Dark Messiah of M&M: Elements
- Dead Rising
- Oblivion

especially Fallout 3 is worth playing, I didn't like Gears of War that much tbh.

the games I havent played yet are because I just got em, got The Darkness this afternoon and SH5 yesterday (day before releasedate yay)
so far I like the console, havent run into trouble yet with anything, it DOES make a lot of fucking noise though, ahwel

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

RomesAshes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:52 pm 

Anybody download the new GTA IV expansion Lost and damned?
Looks pretty sweet, I think "I cum blood" has been added to one of the
stations too.

Haven't got it yet.
Worth the 20 bucks to download?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:57 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
- Lego Indiana Jones/Kung Fu Panda (came with the Xbox)
- Gears of War
- Dead Space
- Fallout 3
- Silent Hill: Homecoming (haven't played yet)
- The Darkness (haven't played yet)
- Alone in the Dark (haven't played yet)

gonna get soon:
- Assassins Creed
- Bioshock
- Dead Rising
- Oblivion

Dead Rising 2 is being worked on at the moment, so I would just wait for that. It doesn't look like it will have any connections to the first game, so you don't need to worry about the story continuity.

Dead Space is a good choice. I played the demo. I didn't really have any complaints.

The Darkness and Alone In The Dark, while looking really fucking good are practically crap titles, and Alone In The Dark's control scheme is totally fucking broken.

The first game I got for my Xbox 360 was Dead Rising because I knew it was an open game that I could play awhile with without getting too bored, which was what I wanted as my first title.

God. I really want to fucking play Killzone 2. T5ib or whatever his name better play the shit out of that and fill us in on a report in two weeks.

I've also been playing a bit of Street Fighter IV online as of late. I've probably faced about 20 Kens, 9 Ryus and 4 Akumas, and I must say, the Kens are way more pesky than any other character. Through all of the ranked matches against Ken, this one simple fact rang so true: The Ken Masters Flowchart!

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:28 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:

God. I really want to fucking play Killzone 2. T5ib or whatever his name better play the shit out of that and fill us in on a report in two weeks.

I get mine tomorrow, ordered it off Amazon with first day delivery. Could have went to a midnight launch but I wanted my Helghast and ISA clothes in Home. :P

I'll be sure to post what I think. Gamespot FINALLY posted its review

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/kill ... tch-review

Great review overall and if anyone is interested or fence sitting on a purchase it should help them decide.

This game has broke records for PS3 first party pre-orders. http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3045

Expect Sony to ride out the sells on this title for a while but once it dies down later this spring I honestly would not be surprised to hear about a price drop at E3 if not sooner. Which would be good news for those who do not own a PS3.

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:19 am 

I agree, I see ken more than anyone else, and it's always the same jump backwards/hadoken/shoryuken strategy. The precedence shoryuken has makes him irritating as well. It's counterable, but can be rage inducing if I mistime my Zangief-copter.

Oh, and it's the funniest thing ever when people try to block when I'm playing Zangief. "Sooner or later, I piledrive everyone"..

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:20 am 

Quote:

That game sucks. Why?

1.) No way to invert the right thumbpad
2.) Ubisoft
3.) No 00's M&M game is good.

DeathByTheSword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:12 pm 

Uhmm T5ib I would assume you like Fallout 3...
yet again I could be stupidly wrong!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:14 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
Quote:

That game sucks. Why?

1.) No way to invert the right thumbpad
2.) Ubisoft
3.) No 00's M&M game is good.

1.) Play the PC version. 2 and 3 are non-points.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 940  Next