Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:17 pm 

Are all Graveland albums viking metal or are some of them reminiscent of early Bathory?

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:21 pm 

It's all viking metal.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:39 pm 

awm wrote:
Are all Graveland albums viking metal or are some of them reminiscent of early Bathory?

The early albums and The Celtic Winter are plain 'ole scandinavian black metal. Heavily influenced by Bathory; only because everyone is influenced by early Bathory.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 pm 

They were more Bathory influenced than your standard black metal. Some of their riffs were straight-up first-wave melodies. Definitely a second wave band in overall sound but with huge first-wave influences, most of that being Bathory.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:13 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
They were more Bathory influenced than your standard black metal. Some of their riffs were straight-up first-wave melodies. Definitely a second wave band in overall sound but with huge first-wave influences, most of that being Bathory.

Yep, much like the first Immortal album.

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:24 pm 

samekh wrote:
SuperVeji4 wrote:
awm wrote:
I don't know what the hell Graveland is but based on this thread I guess I should listen to it.

If you can get passed the vocals and the ridiculous imagery, Graveland is pretty good overall. I guess the 'Fire Chariot of Destruction' album is a good start.

Most Graveland albums are a good place to start. He's pretty consistently great, in my opinion. "Will Stronger Than Death" seemed to do a good job of pleasing fans of both Graveland's older and newer material. Personally I think "Memory and Destiny" is very underrated.

I think I already mentioned Morrigan in this thread, but they're another good band inspired by Bathory.

Morrigan are great, Iuvenes is also a good Bathory influenced band. Towards Sources Of Honour And Pride was an obvious Hammerheart rip off but a good one.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:14 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:

And "A Blaze..."; but just replace Bathory with Celtic Frost.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:16 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:

And "A Blaze..."; but just replace Bathory with Celtic Frost.

And Panzerfaust. We'd be here all day if we started naming bands that are influenced by Bathory and Celtic Frost.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:57 am 

There was one thing I forgot to mention and it's something that really bothered me. Even though I found Hammerheart to be his best album, the song 'Home of Once Brave' ends almost EXACTLY like the song 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' by Metallica. 'Home of Once Brave' was a really good song, but that part really bothered me. Is there reason for this, or is it just 'coincidence'?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:40 am 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
There was one thing I forgot to mention and it's something that really bothered me. Even though I found Hammerheart to be his best album, the song 'Home of Once Brave' ends almost EXACTLY like the song 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' by Metallica. 'Home of Once Brave' was a really good song, but that part really bothered me. Is there reason for this, or is it just 'coincidence'?

This never occurred to me until now but now that you mention it, it really does but Bathory's song sounds much, much , much better. I always hated For Whom the Bell Tolls.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:53 pm 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
I gotta tell you, after listening to the Nordland albums, the first thought that came to my head was, "Fuck! Why does Quothorn have to be dead?!"

Did you like the thrash metal albums at all? And yeah it is a shame he died seeing as how the next Nordland album was in production. Nordland III's album artwork was used for the In Memory of Quorthon boxset though, if your interested. Sadly that is all that remains of the album seeing as how Quorthon hadn't recorded anything for it and I think he might've wrote some stuff down but, obviously we don't know about it..

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:38 pm 

BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
Did you like the thrash metal albums at all?

Honestly, I didn't listen to the thrash metal albums. I'm not really into thrash, in fact I don't really enjoy the majority of thrash metal bands, so I just skipped those albums. After listening to the thrash metal tracks from 'Destroyer of Worlds', I'm kinda glad that I skipped those albums. I hate to admit that since it's such a cliche to hate the Bathory thrash metal albums, but I'm just not interested.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:39 pm 

I prefer Blood, Fire, Death to all other Bathroy albums. Although it sounds more polished and refined, there were a few immature moments. Still, it was a great blend of the raw energy and the epic sounds.

Hammerheart is my second favorite. Baptised in Fire and Ice is just awesome. At times, I find his vocals very annoying; very off key, weak and in some cases it distracts from the feeling of the songs.

Under the Sign of the Black Mark was pretty innovative for the time, and it has been ripped off by just about every black metal band in existence. It's probably my third favorite.

I also like Blood on Ice. It's been a while since I've listened to it, but I found that it was quite well done. I also liked Twilight of the Gods, though it is a much more accoustic affair.

I'm not a huge fan of the earlier stuff, nor the thrash albums. They are good, but nothing that special. In general, I always thought Bathory was a bit overrated, and copied way too much. He had shitty production because it was basically just him in an actual garage, with no money. Crap production does not equal "kultness" in my opinion. It adds to the charm, but does not define atmosphere for me.

I need to get the Nordland albums, though. :)

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:17 pm 

i'm gonna have to listen to the later Viking albums + Nordland albums again pretty soon. Blood, Fire, Death is the current Bathory favorite from me.

mudbloodkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:53 am 

I do think the solos in the Bathory songs destroy the epic mood.

CDanner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 am 

mudbloodkiller wrote:

What? The solo in Shores In Flames is the most epic solo I've ever heard.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:52 pm 

CDanner wrote:
mudbloodkiller wrote:

What? The solo in Shores In Flames is the most epic solo I've ever heard.

Damn straight. I can't imagine that song existing without the solo, and how it transitions back.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:08 pm 

mudbloodkiller wrote:

The solos have always been a great part about every Bathory album. I don't know why you would think that; any reason why?

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:28 pm 

mudbloodkiller wrote:

WHAT!? Have you never listened to Under the Sign of the Black Mark!? Epic leads abound on that album, hell it's one of my favorite parts of the album.

mudbloodkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:46 pm 

Maybe I'm so used to listening to the non-solo black metal bands.

Epic mood flows then a jet of frantic solo jump in,I'm just feeling uncomfortable...

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:40 am 

I really enjoy the epic high-pitched wailing guitar solos in Bathory.... not my favorite solos, but I think it fits the music perfectly....

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4