Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Fucked_with_a_knife2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:08 pm 

What do you think about this Pickups, I have a Ibanez Gio guitar (2 single coils and 1 hambucker) and I would like got a better sound, Im in Grindcore, hardcore, thrash, power violence stuffs and I want a more clear, warm and very POTENT distortion sound...

Dimaension_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:21 pm 

I've had a Super Distortion in my bridge position for about four years. There are more loud and powerful pickups out now, but the original Super Distortion remains my favorite.

Listen to my six most recent albums at my various websites. All done with ONE guitar, Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge, Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell in the Neck. I love this combination.

http://dimaensionxblog.blogspot.com/

BlackPlague1349
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:47 pm 

upgrading an ibanez gio isnt something i would recommend, because the pickups themselves are about 70 bucks. i would recommend that you just buy a new guitar. most guitars come equipped with some very good pickups. for example if you are into ibanez the ibanez infinity pickups are great. also the Dimarzio D-Activators are also good pickups. these come stock on the ibanez Xiphos and V-Blade. but hooking up these pickups to the Ibanez Gio is not going to guarantee a good sound. if you absolutely want to do it, then i wish you good luck.

blackpage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:25 pm 

BlackPlague1349 wrote:
upgrading an ibanez gio isnt something i would recommend, because the pickups themselves are about 70 bucks. i would recommend that you just buy a new guitar. most guitars come equipped with some very good pickups. for example if you are into ibanez the ibanez infinity pickups are great. also the Dimarzio D-Activators are also good pickups. these come stock on the ibanez Xiphos and V-Blade. but hooking up these pickups to the Ibanez Gio is not going to guarantee a good sound. if you absolutely want to do it, then i wish you good luck.
Super Distortion is a great choice for heavy rock and metal. Don't be afraid to put one in your gio. The gios I've played play every bit as well as other non-japanese/american ibanezes. So upgrading to say a five-hundred dollar ibanez before you swap pickups is going to do you no good. Many players play cheaper guitars with upgraded pickups. I've seen world-famous guitarists play Squiers, so its just a matter of whether you're comfortable with your guitar, and not at all about the price/value of what you play (and partly about whether you were lucky enough to get a good piece of wood). A good pickup can turn many cheap guitars into road-worthy instruments.

Nephilim777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:40 am 

Ive had experiences with all types of dimarzio pickups for over 6 years and i find them to be one of the best passive pickups available. I play Death Metal/Grindcore and i use the Dimarzio D-Sonic as my main pickup and also recomend the X2N. They both push the signal very hard and are great in clarity if your using a large amount of distortion. Also if your looking for good crunch tones i recomend them for that too.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:20 pm 

Gios are not great quality IMO, best to PX for a 300 series and then upgrade. However, it won't exactly harm your Gio if you insist, plus in these times more of us are unable to stretch for a completely new axe and so are modding our existing ones instead, whether we would otherwise do that or not.

sandman_105
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:56 pm 

I would reccomend that you just get like a $300-$400 Ibanez RG W/ a fixed bridge (asuming that you switch tunings a lot and since you'll more than likely be playing metal its likely that you will) and use that as a work horse and then switch the pups to the Dimarzio's when the ibanez pups start dieing. yeah after a while those cheapo kind of pups loose their edge but not till like after a year or so

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.