Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Peccociel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 pm 

I am trying to do some research on this label, does anyone know anything about it with respect to where it was located, what became of it, or who was initially involved with it? The following albums seem to have come out on it:

Morgue "Eroded Thoughts"
Accidental Suicide "Deceased"
Paralysis "Patrons of the Dark"
Dead Youth "Intense Brutality" and "Writhing"
Afterlife "Surreality"
Cianide "The Dying Truth"
Broken Hope "Swamped in Gore"

Some of these albums have been re-released on other labels, however.

The logo for the label was a kind of zombie-hulk surfing or skateboarding on a pile of bones.

Any hints would be much appreciated!

violent_scimitar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 pm 

Grind Core was in Illinois, and the label was basically the extreme metal sub-label of Red Light Entertainment. I guess they folded around '94 since that's when the licensed releases stopped and Red Light started putting out death metal releases themselves. The label head was Mark Nawara, who later started Pavement Music and Crash Music.

yfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:37 pm 

Peccociel wrote:

Morgue "Eroded Thoughts"
Accidental Suicide "Deceased"
Paralysis "Patrons of the Dark"
Dead Youth "Intense Brutality" and "Writhing"
Afterlife "Surreality"
Cianide "The Dying Truth"
Broken Hope "Swamped in Gore"

I didn't know about the origin of the label, but the ablums you mentioned i did have them. For the Morgue, pretty boring death metal no matter you judge it in earlier time or nowadays. Accidental Suicide could give you also no exciting moments. Paralysis have a severe grindcore influence on them but the production was pretty lame. Dead Youth...hmmm, Afterlife have some progressive elements, but a fogotten treasure i would not call it. The Cianide and Broken Hope are the most famous bands from the label. Since they didn't change their style much later, you could know how those two ablums sound like, only with a weaker production than their later works. The releases from Grindcore have relative bad production. As they didn't release any raw black metal, so the bad production was quite a disaster to the label itsself.
Anyway Grindcore Records was not a so legendary label like Wild Rags or JL America. IMHO, they are an average minus label existing in 1990s. the most contributive thing they did is, they re-released the Morbid Saint's ablum "Spectrum of Death" in 1992. That one later became the most wanted ablums among the metal market.
That's all i know about the label.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:28 pm 

There was also a compilation CD done by Grindcore Records:

V/A - Deathrow Compilation CD w. At The Gates, Therion, Accidental Suicide, Paralysis, Pitchshifter, ...

And Accidental Suicide was the best offering the label had. Quite decent and enjoyable Death Metal.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:51 pm 

peterott wrote:
There was also a compilation CD done by Grindcore Records:

V/A - Deathrow Compilation CD w. At The Gates, Therion, Accidental Suicide, Paralysis, Pitchshifter, ...

And Accidental Suicide was the best offering the label had. Quite decent and enjoyable Death Metal.

Link found:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0099338310

Peccociel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:01 pm 

Here, here! Yfg, I disagree with you that the production was poor, because it really gave the albums an eerie sound. Accidental Suicide's "Deceased" is easily one of the creepiest death metal albums ever recorded. I wrote a review for it on this site, and I also reviewed Paralysis's "Patrons of the Dark." As for Morgue, I think the guitar-work on that album is insane!

Violent_Scimitar, the information you provided is of great help---thank you so much!

In short, every album I've heard off of this label kicked ass. Have I missed any, or is the list of records I provided in my first post pretty exhaustive as far as you guys know?

violent_scimitar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:40 pm 

From what was mentioned in the thread, only two releases that I recall seem to be missing:

Crowbar - Obedience Thru Suffering
Transmetal - Burial At Sea (English version)

Grind Core also licensed a some Deaf/Peaceville stuff for the US so their logo appears on the US versions:

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours
Impaler - Charnel Deity
Pitchshifter - 1st album
Therion - Of Darkness
Vital Remains - Let Us Prey

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.