Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheReverendOfDespair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:27 pm 

Our vocals were criticized so instead of complaining we went ahead and fixed them! Wonder what you guys think - any honest opinions accepted

http://www.myspace.com/shrouddoom

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:22 pm 

Musically, this is fucking awesome! Vocally, I dunno...it's obvious you can sing, and your harsh vocals are cool - I think it might just be your accent. But it reminds me less of a singer that people will hate, and more of one people get used to and then grow to really like, ya know?

Keep up the good work. If you can achieve the same ferocity in your harsh vocals without using overdrive on them (As it appears you are doing, I could be wrong. My voice will cause the sound to distort just because I'm being too loud and holding the mic incorrectly sometimes), then do that. It sounds better and makes it a lot easier for you to reproduce live.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

TheReverendOfDespair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:44 pm 

Thanks a lot man. I think we have a few songs on the shelf right now you will dig! This one we just really like as an opener but is by no means the strongest

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:48 am 

I look forward to it, really, this is a kind of sound I've been looking for in bands for awhile, so I'm really psyched, heheh.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:46 pm 

@ TheReverendOfDespair, What genre would you say this is?

TheReverendOfDespair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:48 pm 

Good question. I'd say this tune is influenced by doom and black metal mostly because that's what I was into at the time.

As for the band in general we are preceded by a lot of doom metal (my favorite), stoner rock/metal, and some black metal and ambient so far but since we're very open minded and listen to everything from Nortt to the BJM I would expect this list to expand very much in the future

Thanks for your interest!

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:40 pm 

No wonder why I didn't like it, you're openminded.

TheReverendOfDespair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:11 am 

hehe well that makes sense

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:56 am 

The song doesn't sound that good to me. Where are the riffs? It sounds like a doom metal band just going through the motions until the end.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:28 am 

The riffs are ok at best, they don't sound like doom riffs in my opinion- not nearly heavy enough. They're just kind of "there"; they don't do much else (best way I can describe them is as "weak").

Your clean vocals are decent, it's obvious you can actually sing. In a few years they'll sound much better, though. Your harsh vocals are hard to judge with the rediculous amount of distortion on them. Distorted vocals can sound good on occasion, but when all of your harsh vocals are covered up with it like that, it sounds like you're hiding something.

Of your two solos...why put them right next to each other when there is one guitarist? And the first one...WAY too long and slow and boring. The second was actually pretty good. Your drummer sounds pretty good, no complaints there, couldn't really hear the bassist.

TheReverendOfDespair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:04 pm 

The first solo is a violin sir and yeah you're right about the bass needing to be much louder in this song

And I wouldn't judge whether we're heavy enough to be considered "doom metal" - judge whether we're heavy enough to be something you may like because as I said earlier this isn't a "Doom" song - that's just my biggest influence

Last edited by TheReverendOfDespair on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:10 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
The song doesn't sound that good to me. Where are the riffs? It sounds like a doom metal band just going through the motions until the end.
Pfft "doom metal". This is more akin to groove and -core than anything.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:37 pm 

TheReverendOfDespair wrote:
The first solo is a violin sir and yeah you're right about the bass needing to be much louder in this song

And I wouldn't judge whether we're heavy enough to be considered "doom metal" - judge whether we're heavy enough to be something you may like because as I said earlier this isn't a "Doom" song - that's just my biggest influence

Ok "sir" but that doesn't excuse the fact that it's boring and too long.

I had thought you were attempting doom metal here...you led this on with "Mind altering doom terror", "Doom n’ Gloom and insane 60's psychedelia", and "ShroudDoom"...

TheReverendOfDespair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:55 pm 

Well of course I love doom and write that sort of stuff but if we were to claim to stick to the style we'd be limited in the future

Good thing you don't like it simply because of the music and not because it doesn't fit a predetermined idea of how is should sound

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:19 pm 

Well of course I love doom and write that sort of stuff but if we were to claim to stick to the style we'd be limited in the future

Good thing you don't like it simply because of the music and not because it doesn't fit a predetermined idea of how is should sound
You need to work on your grammar. That sentence is retardedly convoluted due to your usage of too many negatives. I'm still trying to make out your meaning behind it.

weakling_goat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:57 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:

You need to work on your grammar. That sentence is retardedly convoluted due to your usage of too many negatives. I'm still trying to make out your meaning behind it.

Aren't you a cheeky one.

The music was alright. It was too long/a little boring though.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:17 pm 

I like how you clearly ignore all my other comments about the music and choose to dwell on the 2 sentences I made in regard to the genre. My point was, don't try to sell it as something it's not. Don't post your music here if you won't accept constructive criticism...

unclevladistav wrote:
The riffs are ok at best, they don't sound like doom riffs in my opinion- not nearly heavy enough. They're just kind of "there"; they don't do much else (best way I can describe them is as "weak").

Your clean vocals are decent, it's obvious you can actually sing. In a few years they'll sound much better, though. Your harsh vocals are hard to judge with the rediculous amount of distortion on them. Distorted vocals can sound good on occasion, but when all of your harsh vocals are covered up with it like that, it sounds like you're hiding something.

Of your two solos...why put them right next to each other when there is one guitarist? And the first one...WAY too long and slow and boring. The second was actually pretty good. Your drummer sounds pretty good, no complaints there, couldn't really hear the bassist.

TheReverendOfDespair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:12 pm 

Well I was trying to agree with you man because you did give some good pointers but that's all besides the point...

Thanks for all the help guys! What I picked up was we should record the growls w/out as much distortion, get the bass levels higher. We watered down a few references to doom on our page to clear up some confusion. Most importantly I'm glad you guys felt I'll be okay for the vocals. Also we'll try to have better grammar and be less groove-core!

I hope you guys like our future work better because this song is almost two years old and we've evolved a lot since then.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:56 pm 

Well I was trying to agree with you man because you did give some good pointers but that's all besides the point...

Thanks for all the help guys! What I picked up was we should record the growls w/out as much distortion, get the bass levels higher. We watered down a few references to doom on our page to clear up some confusion. Most importantly I'm glad you guys felt I'll be okay for the vocals. Also we'll try to have better grammar and be less groove-core!

I hope you guys like our future work better because this song is almost two years old and we've evolved a lot since then.
Write whatever you want to write, it's your music! But if you come in here asking for opinions, rest assured you will get them.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.