Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dime90
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:08 pm 

I've been playing for around 6 months. I haven't put in the most dedication but over the summer I'm planning to start taking it more seriously. I've only been playing snippets of most songs( Crazy Train,Cat Scratch Fever,Holiday in Cambodia) and I can do most of the simple chord progression stuff. How long do you think it would take an average person to get good. And by good I mean playing Pantera and Metallica solos and be able to cover a whole entire Jimmy Hendrix song for example(because I want to be that good). Any suggestions would help, thanx.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:21 am 

Years of hard practice.

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:24 am 

You could also get a teacher.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:31 am 

MorbidAtheist wrote:
You could also get a teacher.

Even with a teacher it may cost you a lot of time.
I've been playing for around 3 years and my skills are gettin better, bu you have to practice. I used to go to guitar lessons and it was totally worth it.
Now I have tons of things to do and barely have time to play.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:02 am 

I guess it depends how dedicated you are to the instrument, like all things...

Menschenfeindlic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:42 am 

constant practice is the key and what are you practicing is also important.
I also have been playing for about 6 months and I wasn't satisfied with my progress, I started to practice more.
I recommend you with these songs to play:
-Dark tranquility-punish my heaven(intro of the song)
this is the most important one fast but easy to memorize,it's even better than other exercises ,and this the one that helped me a lot in improving my playing.(but remember to begin slow the gradually increase your speed,and use all of your fingers not only 1st and 2nd)
-nirvana-smells like teenage spirit(just the solo) -this is the easiest solo to play,good to start with.
-black sabbath-paranoid(whole song)-good to learn power chords transition and the solo isn't too hard to play but it takes some time)
-metallica-unforgiven I(solo)-hard at first,but after learning the previous solos it won't be impassible.
-dimmu borgir-entrance(whole song)-nice and easy song good for learning power chords transition.
and there is no need to teacher ,a better idea is to find a friend and practice with him .
(I talk alot ,I know), I hope that would help you.

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:18 am 

It really depends on what you want to play. I've been playing the guitar for 18 years myself and I'm still not quite at the level I want to be. Mind you, I personally believe that you're never 'good enough', which is why I spend 8 hours a day practising; at least 2-3 hours of that is spent playing picking exercises and legato exercises to a metronome.

Is it mind numbingly boring? Yes, it can be, but it also 'drives' me in that the better I get, the better I want to get. To be an excellent guitarist (not just a "guitar player", there is a different) I believe that you have to be obsessed with your instrument.

tsarnathan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:26 am 

maybe a little off topic, but i recommend practicing with your amp and any effects you use quite often, even if it's just with headphones. For about a year I wasnt in a band or anything, so rarely bothered plugging in when I practiced, but when I started playing through my amp again, I had rubbish control of feedback etc.

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:38 am 

^^^^ That's an excellent point, and I agree fully.

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:44 pm 

Third_of_the_Storms wrote:
I spend 8 hours a day practising; at least 2-3 hours of that is spent playing picking exercises and legato exercises to a metronome.

youre a pro or what? :-D i wouldnt have 8 hours for guitar even if i didnt do anything else in my free time...

its true, that its better to have guitar pluged in while playing... it sounds better, and youll learn how to play clean

and its true youll never be good enough (unless everyone else know youre the best.. :)) it depends what youll set as your target..

//and.. if youll play hendrix's songs everyday, youll be able to play them whole in some time ;)

Leviathus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:21 pm 

I've been playing for about 5 years now. i never had a teacher, and i think that payed off, cos you learn not only what you want to, but how you want to. Everyone has a different set level of guitar ability, but with enough dedication i'm sure you can pump out some metallica solos within a year or two.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:27 pm 

Dime90 wrote:
I've been playing for around 6 months. I haven't put in the most dedication but over the summer I'm planning to start taking it more seriously. I've only been playing snippets of most songs( Crazy Train,Cat Scratch Fever,Holiday in Cambodia) and I can do most of the simple chord progression stuff. How long do you think it would take an average person to get good. And by good I mean playing Pantera and Metallica solos and be able to cover a whole entire Jimmy Hendrix song for example(because I want to be that good). Any suggestions would help, thanx.

Just don't give up and keep playing as much as you can i'm sure if you don't give up in a year or two you will be busting out Metallica solos and some Pantera.
Its all about dedication!

Dime90
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:50 pm 

thanx for the comments.they were all helpful.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:23 pm 

Dedication is the most important for any instrument.

There's a guitarist at my school that's played for 5 years and could probably outplay my guitarist who's played for 7 because he spends hours practicing daily and dedicates time to specific techniques.

Influences really go lengths in developing your style as well, remember to be open to Jazz, Blues, etc. because they go great lengths in developing your abilities.

My Last.fm

The_Kreator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:50 pm 

guitar is the easiest instrument to play badly, yet the hardest to play good.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:00 pm 

The_Kreator wrote:

I really don't think that is true. Ever try to play a cello?

DemonoftheFall1143
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:24 pm 

you will never be as good as you want to be.

In the words of Devin Townsend, you should be as proficient on your instrument to facilitate any ideas that come into your mind.

The_Kreator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:51 pm 

mattp wrote:
The_Kreator wrote:

I really don't think that is true. Ever try to play a cello?

That is a famous quote actually... I forgot who said it, though.

Sooooo many people play the guitar, you know, *a little* (basically every single modern country artist), but very few people can play with as much heart and beauty as, say, the guy from Pagan Altar (forgot his name).

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:23 am 

Just stay dedicated to it. Don't set it down and pick it back up a few months later. That does more harm than good. I've owned guitars since I was about 14-15. I'm 21 now, and I've FINALLY began to take it seriously over the past several months, and I'm finally beginning to see some improvements :) Practice often.

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:28 am 

Work your way up to practicing alot. At fist you won't know much so you won't have that much to practice. As you progress you will find you need more time to practice various techniques, tapping, sweep picking, alternate picking all take alot of time to master. You will find you need these hours to practice instead of just one or two. Build yourself up. Learn your favorite scales. I drew them in a note book so I could highlight different patterns. If you don't know this already, slide from the 7 to the 1 when playing scales if you don't know what it means find out. I wish someone would of told me sooner. Practice your three string arpeggios before trying four and five, it may seem easy to jump ahead but really your just jumping backwards. Keep it up. It takes years for your fingers to build up the dexterity to shred correctly. Get guitar pro and slow down your favorite solos!

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:38 am 

I have been playing for over 20 years. The key is lots of practice. Getting a teacher to at least send you down the right road, might help you. I'm not saying keep taking lessons forever, just get some lessons to point your playing in the right direction. If you aren't doing the right things, you might never advance in your playing.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:41 am 

When you start going for solos, don't just blast away and fail miserably. Look at the solo and figure out what scale it's in, or what the notes are. I couldn't figure out Necrophagist's Only Ash Remains' intro solo until I looked at the solo and played it's scale up and down, then it turned out to be fairly simple.

TheClansman
IM AN INTARWEB TUFF GUY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:03 pm 

It takes decades of ungodly dedication, don't bother trying if you aren't already good. Kthx.

Dismal_Deity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:36 pm 

fifty twelve years exactly.

Scrabsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:21 pm 

TheYardstick wrote:
Dedication is the most important for any instrument.

There's a guitarist at my school that's played for 5 years and could probably outplay my guitarist who's played for 7 because he spends hours practicing daily and dedicates time to specific techniques.

This is very true, there is a guitarist on my course at college who has been playing 7 years, and he's easily the worst guitarist on the course, all he can do is play powerchords and octaves, on the other end of the spectrum there is a guitarist who's been playing 2 years who can play Dream Theater fluently and writes some pretty damn technical riffs.

It all depends on how dedicated you are to your instrument.

blackpage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:08 pm 

There's also the issue of practicing the right things. You could shred in a year or two, or never get beyond basic ability in decades depending on what you choose to practice. That's why you need a good teacher (and unfortunately most are not).

BlackPlague1349
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:08 pm 

all that i can say is what most have said so far...make sure you are dedicated to your instrument. put your soul into it. also a good teacher might help but i am self taught so im not really sure how quick you can learn. just find a good friend to teach you how to tune a guitar and the rest you can learn on your own pace.

Leviathus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:16 pm 

DemonoftheFall1143 wrote:
you will never be as good as you want to be.

=truth

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.