Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:46 pm 

Album artwork and track listing were just posted:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=113891

Is anyone else waiting for this? Did anyone enjoy their previous (In the Absence of Truth)?

The_Velvet_Kevorkian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:58 pm 

I enjoyed in the Absence of Truth, though am hoping for something different, the last three records have been a bit too similar hence I don't listen to them much.

Going back to a Celestial type sound would be nice, but I don't think it's going to happen.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:58 pm 

I was very disappointed by In The Absence Of Truth, mainly because the heavy parts sucked so much. I'm interested in this but my expectations are not that high to be honest.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:19 pm 

That cover art is kinda weak, although it's better than the art for "The Absense of Truth".

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:26 pm 

Isis is one of my favorite bands; I found out about this album last week and I'm pretty fuckin' stoked. I adore every Isis album, especially the last three.

The album cover reminded me instantly of Pelican's City of Echoes.

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:43 pm 

Can't wait for this one.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:43 pm 

Cool. I like Isis, can't wait for this.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:45 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
That cover art is kinda weak, although it's better than the art for "The Absense of Truth".

Well, look at their previous artwork and ask yourself, does it look like an Isis album cover? I'd have to say yes. :wink:

As for the album, I'm extremely excited for this. I'm sure it will deliver.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:50 pm 

TheFourHorsemen666 wrote:
I was very disappointed by In The Absence Of Truth, mainly because the heavy parts sucked so much. I'm interested in this but my expectations are not that high to be honest.

Yep.

Very dissapointed with ITAOT.
Which is weird, because I consider pretty much everything else they've ever done solid gold. And I can't even listen to ITAOT. It is just so weak. From a brief interview I read though, I think this could be back to form.

What Aaron said was right:
Quote:
In the past I think some of the recordings were a little too clean in their final form. There was something about the energy that seemed to be lacking.

This is exatly what was wrong with ITAoT. (some of the songwriting was a little sub-par, but this was the biggest problem still.)

Last edited by Prairieshadow on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:10 pm 

Count me out. I could never get into Isis at all.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:16 pm 

And actually the artwork is pretty weak. Sure, it looks like the artwork from ITAoT, but not any of their other albums. And the artwork from ITAoT is not very good either. It certainly does look like some of the work Turner does for other bands though.

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:44 pm 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
Isis is one of my favorite bands; I found out about this album last week and I'm pretty fuckin' stoked. I adore every Isis album, especially the last three.

The album cover reminded me instantly of Pelican's City of Echoes.

Same! I don't think the artwork is that bad, but it could be better. The cover for Celestial was pretty weak, but in my opinion, it's their heaviest/greatest album. I can't for this album!

Also, why are there two submissions for the new album here on M-A?

Chromillusion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:17 pm 

I really hope the yellow thing with the name of the album is not actually on it, it looks really stupid. Aside from that, I think it looks alright. I wish they would go back to Oceanic and Panopticon style covers though. I think when they use photographs like that it suits their music better. ITAOT's cover didn't feel like it fit the album.

Still, I enjoyed ITAOT, though not as much as Oceanic and Panopticon. I have a good feeling about this one, and the live version I heard of 20 Minutes / 40 Years sounded pretty promising.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:21 pm 

Well I personally don't remember anything from ItAoT that stuck in my head. Oceanic was the one I enjoyed most, I think.

Always preferred Cult of Luna to Isis! Eternal Kingdom kicked ass. Waiting to see Isis's effort.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:22 pm 

Ah that's right. The cover for the Celestial reissue is in that style, and surprise, is not very good.

I think my favorite cover is either The Red Sea or Panopticon.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:00 am 

Im curious certainly

I pretty much love all their material up to and including panopticon. With panopticon and their early stuff (red sea and such) as my faves.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:01 am 

I've never even listened to In the Absense of Truth. I liked Oceanic and Panopticon to an extent but they seemed to be getting bored with the sound.

Tea_and_Crumpets
"Fail" is a sentence fragment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:12 am 

I dont like the direction the band are going in. I loved Panopticon, but they seemed to lose their edge after that. I'm still interested to see how this one turns out though.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:40 am 

I was immediately struck by the brevity of ItAoT's heavy parts, especially given that my favourite ISIS records are the first 2 EPs. They simply don't ballast the airiness of the rest of it. The riffs themselves are just about good enough, but the production doesn't bring them crashing in, and they're not pounded in for any length of time.

Having said that i've become a lot more open to electronic and ambient music in the last couple of years, and it is from there I think my enjoyment of ItAoT derives. While it lacks the heavy, I find their melodic expression and grasp of soundscape in general make the quieter nature of ItAoT really shine. In fact I find it one of their moodier albums.

Cover art for the new one, for some reason, looks to imply more experimentation to come.

Traver
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:43 am 

Pretty excited by this, the cover art looks amazing, and the first clip sounds like a signature Caxide bassline. There's certain to be at least a few songs worth of gold here.

HelloCthulhu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:03 pm 

I'm looking forward to it. I love their other albums, except their EPs, which I thought sucked and were too noisy.

caffeine_machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:09 pm 

I am definitely looking forward to this

PrinceofEmptiness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:11 pm 

Great news, can't wait.

Ekinflog
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:22 pm 

Loved their last album, looking forward to this one.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:23 pm 

I'll give it a shot when it comes out, Isis is one of those bands I go back to once every two months when I'm in the mood.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:08 pm 

I only have one Isis album - Panopticon - but I absolutely adore it. I've only had it a few weeks but I can honestly say it's one of my favourite albums of all time. I'll be picking up this new release :D

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:51 am 

I love Isis, I've heard almost all of their discography, but I don't own any albums (oh, the shame!). Very excited for this one.

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:14 am 

I want them to return more to the post-rock elements mixed with the post-metal like they did on the fantastic Oceanic(my favorite of theirs). I was a little disappointed with 'non-droniness' found on The Absence of Truth(the album cover sucked too) but it's not a bad listen .

http://www.myspace.com/thevala

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:38 am 

Cool. I think I'm one of the few here who doesn't like their early stuff at all as it seems like a poor attempt at imitating Neurosis. The heavy parts were never very enjoyable for me and I like it when they're more on the moody side. That drummer is always pretty pleasing to listen to, as well. Not really a favourite band but I'll probably be listening to this album at some point.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:18 pm 

I get what you mean about that. Sometimes if my attention is wandering a bit Celestial will pass me by in a generic waltz... I agree the similarities of riff can be suspicious. I find that the dynamics of the songs have their own styles though, and added to that the fact that Neurosis are now sounding as if they're imitating Neurosis, and I can find the early Isis stuff atmospheric in its own right. Safe in the knowledge, maybe, that Neurosis have passed their high point.

Quite possibly Isis too I should add.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 pm 

SculptedCold wrote:
I get what you mean about that. Sometimes if my attention is wandering a bit Celestial will pass me by in a generic waltz... I agree the similarities of riff can be suspicious. I find that the dynamics of the songs have their own styles though, and added to that the fact that Neurosis are now sounding as if they're imitating Neurosis, and I can find the early Isis stuff atmospheric in its own right. Safe in the knowledge, maybe, that Neurosis have passed their high point.

Quite possibly Isis too I should add.

Yes, that's all true .. I thought I was the only one to be bored shitless by the last Neurosis album. Then again, they've always been a pretty inconsistent band for me .. "Souls at Zero" and "A Sun that Never Sets"" are two very different albums and they're my favourites ... "Times of Grace" occasionally gets play but I never really listen to anything else by them. Isis on the other hand seem a bit more energetic today and are probably better musicians from a technical standpoint. I'll note that I actually only started listening to Isis again after writing them off years ago when "In the Absence of Truth" came out .. the truth is that I heard it was a mellower album and since it was their pounding, repetitive Neurosis-soundalike stuff that had me yawning earlier on, I figured this might be a bit more interesting. I wass reasonably impressed.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

The_Velvet_Kevorkian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:27 pm 

Listening to the Wavering Radiant right now... I'm only on the second track, but it's sounding remiscent of Oceanic so far so good, but I'm only on track two :) Ghost Key!

hateXforest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:36 pm 

I'm really hoping this release goes back to the sound they put out for panopticon, where its more atmospheric ambient and progressive sludge

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:58 pm 

The_Velvet_Kevorkian wrote:
Listening to the Wavering Radiant right now... I'm only on the second track, but it's sounding remiscent of Oceanic so far so good, but I'm only on track two :) Ghost Key!

It leaked?

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:44 pm 

Certainly sounds promising, however I would listen to it until its out.

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:48 pm 

TheFourHorsemen666 wrote:

It leaked?

I'm frantically searching around, and I don't believe it did...Velvet, where are you listening to it from?

The_Velvet_Kevorkian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:54 pm 

It's not leaked, the label has a site where they're streaming the album for the press which I am luckily part of, and for a multitude of reasons I'm not to leak anything regardless. Did it once and almost lost my job, probably should have. I like what I do so I'm not riskin nothing. So in hindsight the fact that I mentioned it, feels a little like I was bragging... not meant to be.

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:59 pm 

It's not leaked, the label has a site where they're streaming the album for the press which I am luckily part of, and for a multitude of reasons I'm not to leak anything regardless. Did it once and almost lost my job, probably should have. I like what I do so I'm not riskin nothing. So in hindsight the fact that I mentioned it, feels a little like I was bragging... not meant to be.

Understood, enjoy! I'll probably be too anxious and end up downloading it when it leaks. I'll probably buy it afterward anyways, when it's released, to drown my guilt.

The_Velvet_Kevorkian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:08 pm 

Labels do intersting things to protect leaks yet somehow they happen. I guess I could bitch about the streaming thing since the player will only play one track at a time and obviously I can only play it on the computer. But hey it's better than nothing.

Needless I've given it one listen, not enough to pass any judgement, but it's much better than ITAOT, and I liked that album, still in the Oceanic realm, just not oceany.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:52 pm 

More than enough info I need to make the purchase. =)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next