Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ManOfTheKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:51 pm 

ALESTORM! Everything they've ever done is totally ruined by the awful vocals. He's off key and sounds drunk and generally terrible

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:54 pm 

Beneath the Massacre's Mechanics of Dysfunction- I'm in a minority when I say that this album is good, and that's not only due to the fact that the vocalist is horrible. Yes, the vocalist is bad, but the rest of the album is good enough that I can tolerate his voice.

Nazgûl's De Expugnatione Elfmuth- The album is simply a masterpiece, but the vocalist was the hardest thing for me to get by. It took me a few listens to finally be able to tolerate them. Nevertheless, the beauty of the classical fills and guitars makes this album nothing short of amazing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:27 pm 

ManOfTheKing wrote:
ALESTORM! Everything they've ever done is totally ruined by the awful vocals. He's off key and sounds drunk and generally terrible

Wouldn't call him awful, just...uninspired, on the debut at least. Sounds like he could be doing more with his voice if he really wanted to, I guess, but I don't know what's going on in the studio.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:28 pm 

I think he suits the rest of the music perfectly: boring music, boring vocals.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:31 pm 

Kruel wrote:

Yeah, but they haven't done much. I think they could improve later on. Many PM bands started out worse than they did. Judging by the lyrics of their latest EP, they've already improved on one of my main criticisms of them.

Last edited by Empyreal on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:34 pm 

Can anyone say Anthony Rezhawk of Resistant Culture and Terrorizer?

http://www.myspace.com/resistantculture

http://www.myspace.com/terrorizergrindcore

Every album he does vocals for is... well not so great.

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

Pierrepoint
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:48 am 

Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain

It's a near-great album which would've sounded much better had they ditched the whispery, Black Metal vocals and just sang it clean. The vocals seems out of place to my ears and get in the way.

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:02 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Kruel wrote:

Yeah, but they haven't done much. I think they could improve later on. Many PM bands started out worse than they did. Judging by the lyrics of their latest EP, they've already improved on one of my main criticisms of them.

Yeah, we've improved at writing lyrics for the new album (of which the EP is a subset). Though there's still a few moments where I decided to write the kind of stuff that would even embarrass Manowar. Deal with it.

And I know I can't sing. Bizzarely though, there are a few people who think the vocals are the best thing since sliced bread.

Exsanguinate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:49 pm 

Anything by Arch Enemy with Angela Gosslow. Come on, her vochals suck ass normaly, and when she sings "death metal", it's about as deep as Micheal Jackson screaming while getting violated with a Polaris missle. And she is a female, which has no place in metal.

sumorabbit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:45 pm 

ManOfTheKing wrote:

I love Alestorm, I think the "pirate" Arrrrrr...vocals fit the music pretty well. I don't think I would enjoy them with ANY other type of music, but in the context the singing occurs, I think it fits nicely.

I like their new EP, the sound seems to have matured a bit in my opinion, but I could be completely wrong.

-Sun Tzu

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:08 pm 

LordOminous wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Kruel wrote:

Yeah, we've improved at writing lyrics for the new album (of which the EP is a subset). Though there's still a few moments where I decided to write the kind of stuff that would even embarrass Manowar. Deal with it.

And I know I can't sing. Bizzarely though, there are a few people who think the vocals are the best thing since sliced bread.

Haha, well I'll check out the new album and see what I can bitch about this time too then.

tkmikkelsen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm 

The one album that Black Sabbath did with Ian Gillan as the singer was really not a good experiment.
To be honest the overall production of the album sucked more than a $2 whore in Bangkok, but Gillan and Sabbath just didn't go together.

Asguard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:28 am 

Pierrepoint wrote:

It's a near-great album which would've sounded much better had they ditched the whispery, Black Metal vocals and just sang it clean. The vocals seems out of place to my ears and get in the way.

WTF? how can you say that for me is the better vocalist existent...

well follow with the topic the album with horrible vocal is the 2007 album of Kroda i can speak Russian and no write too i don't now how write here is the image:

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:44 am 

Asguard wrote:
Well follow with the topic the album with horrible vocal is the 2007 album of Kroda i can speak Russian and no write too i don't now how write here is the image:

The name is 'Fimbulwinter'. Do you mean the language, or those okay throaty growls, or clean "chanting"? It all sounds good in my ears! I don't speak Russian, but that makes it more "alien" to me. The vocals are kind of pushed down in the mix. They fit well with the music.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:52 am 

I also find the vocals a little irritating, the growls that is. It's not the style or the language, but something about it seems to harm the atmospheric flow of the album.

spikesgoregasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:01 am 

Horned_Owl_Holocaust wrote:
Corgan is God.

Vio-lence
Manilla Road (nasal nerdery to the extreme)
Helloween (Walls of Jericho only)
Mayhem (Attila)
Newschool Mille
Burzum (all)

All good to great music with horrible vocals.

I agree with the one about Burzum. Their music itself isn't bad. But I dispise the vocals. They sounds like complete shit.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:05 am 

spikesgoregasm wrote:
Corgan is God.

Vio-lence
Mayhem (Attila)
Newschool Mille
Burzum (all)

I agree with the one about Burzum. Their music itself isn't bad. But I dispise the vocals. They sounds like complete shit.

It's just so black metal, it has such a tortured epic scream with such grim and...I guess "harsh" feeling to it. It's the truest black metal vocals because it IS completely shitty vocals but its shitty in such a way that make them great.

spikesgoregasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:13 am 

BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
spikesgoregasm wrote:
Corgan is God.

Vio-lence
Mayhem (Attila)
Newschool Mille
Burzum (all)

It's just so black metal, it has such a tortured epic scream with such grim and...I guess "harsh" feeling to it. It's the truest black metal vocals because it IS completely shitty vocals but its shitty in such a way that make them great.

Immortal is better.

leadbassist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:38 pm 

Asguard wrote:
Pierrepoint wrote:

WTF? how can you say that for me is the better vocalist existent...

well follow with the topic the album with horrible vocal is the 2007 album of Kroda i can speak Russian and no write too i don't now how write here is the image:

dunno abt u guys...bt agalloch's drummer is one talented fuk...never DREAMED drums can hav THIS MANY variations...infact...bein a non-drummer...i shadow-drums on their songsjus to get the buzz frm it

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:35 pm 

spikesgoregasm wrote:
BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
spikesgoregasm wrote:
Corgan is God.

Vio-lence
Mayhem (Attila)
Newschool Mille
Burzum (all)

Immortal is better.

I can't stand Abbath's vocals. He sounds like Popeye.

Its terrible.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:55 pm 

SladeCraven wrote:

Its terrible.

OMFG lmao this is too funny... now that I think about it, he does sound like Popeye. Thanks for fucking up my listening experience forever now with Immortal... not that I even played them much. But for those few times though... yeah.

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

Mullan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:30 pm 

ManOfTheKing wrote:

I thought the singer of that band was supposed to sound drunk?

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:00 pm 

Lane wrote:
Asguard wrote:
Well follow with the topic the album with horrible vocal is the 2007 album of Kroda i can speak Russian and no write too i don't now how write here is the image:

The name is 'Fimbulwinter'. Do you mean the language, or those okay throaty growls, or clean "chanting"? It all sounds good in my ears! I don't speak Russian, but that makes it more "alien" to me. The vocals are kind of pushed down in the mix. They fit well with the music.

Fimbulwinter is a fantastic album, and I actually take inspiration from Eisenslav's vocal style. To me it's honest, he's growling the way he does naturally, he's not putting anything on. Not to me...

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:06 pm 

Mullan wrote:
ManOfTheKing wrote:

I thought the singer of that band was supposed to sound drunk?

Probably, but he sucks regardless.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:43 pm 

Exsanguinate wrote:
Anything by Arch Enemy with Angela Gosslow. Come on, her vochals suck ass normaly, and when she sings "death metal", it's about as deep as Micheal Jackson screaming while getting violated with a Polaris missle. And she is a female, which has no place in metal.

I was with you until that last sentence. Idiotic.

sumorabbit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:39 pm 

Itheus wrote:
Exsanguinate wrote:

I agree.

Metal doesn't need to be a COMPLETE sausage fest. :lol:

-Sun Tzu

Tronic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:17 pm 

Bathory's Twilight of the Gods is a worthy mention. Such an excellent piece of music and the only detractor is the mediocre vocal performance.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it ruins the experience for me though. That's one of my all time favourites.

leadbassist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:18 am 

Funeral_Shadow wrote:
SladeCraven wrote:

Its terrible.

OMFG lmao this is too funny... now that I think about it, he does sound like Popeye. Thanks for fucking up my listening experience forever now with Immortal... not that I even played them much. But for those few times though... yeah.

lmfao!! good lord...now dat i think abt it...he DOES sound like popeye...well,from now on il b thinkin of that stupid cartoon wenever im listenin to immortal...n..like he sed...thanks for fukin up my image of abbath lol

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:16 am 

SladeCraven wrote:

Its terrible.

But Popeye's awesome.....

Seriously though, he does kind of sound like Peopeye...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:42 am 

Itheus wrote:
Exsanguinate wrote:

Yes, what a ridiculous statement.

Symbolic12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:33 pm 

Any album by Mercyful Fate. The music's fantastic but the vocals...

Marupinku
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:41 pm 

Dying Fetus came to mind. Pretty awesome music, horribly boring and emotionless vocals.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:12 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Itheus wrote:
Exsanguinate wrote:

While that last sentence is particularily retarded, the rest of the post isn't much either. Like her or not, she's better than the previous singer who just sounded...weak. Unfortunately as they switched vocalist the band also went from a more organic melodic death metal sound to a more artificial sound.

MorningStarAtDusk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:06 pm 

I didn't bother to check if anyone mentioned Forgotten Woods' "As the Wolves Gather", but I don't see how anyone can stand that shitty vocal echo through the entire album... on every line.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 pm 

MorningStarAtDusk wrote:
I didn't bother to check if anyone mentioned Forgotten Woods' "As the Wolves Gather", but I don't see how anyone can stand that shitty vocal echo through the entire album... on every line.

Yes, I feel the same way about it, though it doesn't really ruin it for me. I believe they used the same effect on "Sjel av Natten"? IN any case, "The CUrse of Mankind" is clearly the best thing they ever did, but they never had very strong vocals...I like the more TOm Warrior-styled grunts mixed with the usual BUrzum-ish ululations of the early Joyless tracks more.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 pm 

Symbolic12 wrote:
Any album by Mercyful Fate. The music's fantastic but the vocals...

Youllg et used to it.
I used to not liek it, but after a few listens he became one of my favorite singers.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:37 pm 

Marupinku wrote:
Dying Fetus came to mind. Pretty awesome music, horribly boring and emotionless vocals.

Haha, John Gallagher has the most stereotypical "cookie monster" guttural I've ever heard in my life on the album "Killing On Adrenaline".

I also agree with the one guy about Arch Enemy.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:40 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Itheus wrote:
Exsanguinate wrote:

While that last sentence is particularily retarded, the rest of the post isn't much either. Like her or not, she's better than the previous singer who just sounded...weak. Unfortunately as they switched vocalist the band also went from a more organic melodic death metal sound to a more artificial sound.

To me, it honestly doesn't matter; Arch Enemy is really all about listening to Michael Amott play the guitar...

Slats
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:07 am 

Cryptwatcher wrote:
One band that comes into mind is Vio-Lence. They are a great band, but their vocalist has a very... well... wierd style that makes you not take the album seriously at times

I don't understand all the hate towards Sean Killian. His 10-year-old-bully singing voice is one of the most unique and awesome voices in metal, and adds tremendous amounts of energy to the music. He is easily one of the top reasons Vio-Lence kick ass.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8