Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:16 am 

Awesome song. A thin sound would have made the song sound a bit better, but this is still pretty good.

Did anyone else notice that the vocalist sounded as if he was breathing in a bit too much before every growl?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:25 am 

This song is better then I thought, especially after hearing C-187. Although the production sounds kind of modern, Patrick's vocals sound pretty deep and strong. I expected the opposite of it; extremely forced growls or something. I mean he hasn't growled ever since 1993? I prefer his older growls, but these aren't bad at all.

The riffs work sounds a bit boring though. I hope that the other new songs will be better. Perhaps a bit more technical and less brutal as well.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:29 am 

The song does get tedious after a while, but those riffs aren't at all bad. Vocals are poor, as I expected ... Mamelli just can't do death growls very well. However, what he can do .. is play guitar! So sharp, precise, and fast .. hm, I must say I like his playing style quite a lot. They seem to be going for a bit of a "Consuming Impulse" vibe here .. I'm not so excited but it's somewhat better than I thought it might have been.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:00 pm 

I'm wondering what Martin thinks about this song. (And the whole Pestilence reunion as well.)

Hjorlejf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:39 pm 

It's a bit generic,
but a good listen, I guess.
Nothing really special though, I would expect more from an experienced band like this.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:49 pm 

I have to say this is much better than I was expecting. This is back to the standard of the classic "Testimony Of The Ancients". I hated "Spheres" even though I generally like Prog + Jazz.

I'll definitely be checking the new album out. Welcome back!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:27 pm 

The new track sounds fine to me, I will hold further judgement until I hear the album in full, can not judge them on one track. It def has the Pestilence sound and true, it does sound like a mix of "Consuming" and "Testimony". Patrick's vocals are heavier, but as mentioned, I also prefer his previous vocal sound. Very promising and a great move away from the shit Spheres back to were they belong.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:49 pm 

MegaHassan wrote:
A thin sound would have made the song sound a bit better

Maybe. It did the trick on Testimony but the neanderthal sound of Consuming actually had more charater i.m.o.

This new song.. the first part reminds me too much of 'Dehydrated'... as if Mameli tried to rewrite the basic idea of that song... Too obviously contrived? possibly...

Still, I expected worse than this. It's okay.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:57 pm 

I decided to have a listen to that C-187 band everyone seems to be bashing.

:ugh:

Anyway, this thread is making me realise I'm missing out on old Pestilence, and I need to get Consuming Impulse and Testimony Of The Ancients right away.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:06 pm 

I have never cared for Pestilence at all but I like this song a lot. Looking forward to the coming album! And another good thing is they hotted up the horrible logo a bit too.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:15 pm 

Better than I expected, which was quite low. This is alright and suggests than Mameli is a little more in touch with his past than one might think. Maybe I'd buy the album in a bargain bin or used situation if the other material they plan to post maintains this level.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:37 pm 

In one word: forgettable.

It's not bad, just average and the modern production doesn't help too, but apparantly thats enough for people to listen once then claim their prediction of steaming horse shit was totally correct.

Torwilligous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:00 pm 

It was inevitable that most people were going to bitch and moan about this, it ALWAYS happens with comebacks regardless of their quality.

Sad to say the bitchers and moaners do have a point though in this case. While the riffs were great, the structure was just nowhere near intricate or involved enough for Pestilence. At least it still sounds like them, and that second riff could have been lifted straight from "Spheres" minus the wierd little groove-bend thing at the end which I actually thought worked rather well as a piece of phrasing. And I loved the solo, pure "Spheres" all over. Overall I think it's OK, but not as mindblowing as it could have been. Certainly not as bad as it could have been either; at least it isn't deathcore.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:55 pm 

I usually don't like "modern production" but I don't mind the production too much on this song, although I can see where some of you think its "dry, sterile". The riffs aren't too bad, although they are repeated too much that they crumble.

Overall not too bad, but a whole album of this will get bland, really fast.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:41 am 

Well..

Im going to their first gig after reuniting anyway.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:29 am 

Rottenrectum wrote:
horrible logo

:shock: Are you serious?

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:38 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
horrible logo

Wondering too... I always loved that old logo

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:10 am 

It was ok I guess. Didn't make me stop and go "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME". Nevertheless, I am still really excited about the new album.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:45 am 

:ugh: No... A band that's released stuff like Testimony... isn't supposed to release boring, modern stuff like this. This song was just an example of boring, bland, utterly toothless death metal. None of the riffs grabbed me even a little bit, and I've pretty much already forgotten about them. The vocals are also fucking horrible. Get that moron away from the microphone, lay off the gay production and write some better riffs, then we might talk.

Sounds like I'm gonna pass on this one, but I wasn't expecting anything good to ever come from this band again to begin with, so it's not that big of a loss. I guess I'm just gonna Stick with Testimony... and add Pestilence to the list of bands I'm gonna ignore in the future. :(
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:46 am 

morbert wrote:
orionmetalhead wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
horrible logo

Wondering too... I always loved that old logo

Yeah, that new logo they have now is the terrible one, I think. But I haven't heard the new song yet.

Anggaaa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:58 am 

Somehow i liked it

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2