Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dime90
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:12 pm 

I understand that there songs aren't as radio friendly as Metallica and Iron Maiden but there talent level is crazy. I've only listened to all of Arise and the songs Refuse/Resist and Territory which all are amazing. Beneath the Remains is supposed to be amazing along with Chaos A.D and Bloody Bloody Roots. I also know Max left after Roots but my main question would be this. When you ask a person who doesn't listen to Metal a whole lot,they still would probably list Metallica because their so popular. Sepultura needs to be up their with Metallica and Slayer in my opinon. I'd just like to know if anyone agrees.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:15 pm 

yesnoyesnoadinfinitum

I'm so drunk I'm seeing trolls!

EDIT: But really, they lost it after Chaos AD. Just like bands do, they lost their marbles.

Last edited by Lane on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:17 pm 

Well I knew of them long before I was into metal ,they are one of the most popular metal bands out there, specially because of Roots and all that jumpadafuckup.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:17 pm 

You're asking why they're not more popular than the most popular metal band in the world? Couldn't you have set the bar a teeny, weensy bit lower than that? Hell, my dad knows who Metallica are (I think).

Hjorlejf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 pm 

I'd say they're as popular as they deserve to be, if not more so.

hellhippie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:02 pm 

old Sepul pisses on metaliicrap or Slayer after reign in blood , they have always been popular , shit i remeber when all that was out was Morbid Visions and the amzing split with Overdose(even thou they suck).
Demons, devils, dark spirits
From church horror tales
The hordes of dead roar...

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:37 pm 

Sepultura is plenty popular. Their early stuff is held in very high esteem but they went downhill quite a bit.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 pm 

Probably because they haven't released a good album in nearly 20 years. Their earlier stuff is respected in thrash and some death metal circles though.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:15 pm 

because they switch their sound with every genre that becomes popular, and don't keep the fans they had before the switch. they went from: death metal/death-thrash in the mid 80s, to thrash in the late 80s, to groove/post thrash in the early to mid 90s, to alternative/nu-metal in the mid to later 90s, and now they are at a hardcore style sound which is a more popular style today.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 pm 

I got this in 1991 from Gloria Cavalera on the Arise tour in Germany. The band signed it before their set. This album wasn't available in the states at the time. Everything after Arise blew ass.

This band is plenty popular, especially considering they haven't made anything worthwhile in almost 20 years.

Sorry for the bad pics...these were taken a long time ago. I still have the album.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:49 pm 

Lane wrote:
yesnoyesnoadinfinitum

EDIT: But really, they lost it AFTER Chaos AD.

Wow, you must be fucking drunk.

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:05 am 

Lane wrote:
yesnoyesnoadinfinitum

EDIT: But really, they lost it after Arise. Just like bands do, they lost their marbles.

Fixed for accuracy.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:13 am 

I got arise and I really didn't like it.
Of course, i didn't like maiden or Carcass when i first heard them, but still...

There not marketable at all.
Why isnt Brain Drill popular?
Why isnt Yngwie Malmsteem popular?
Etc.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:45 am 

I just listened to Sepultura's Morbid Vision album and I was wondering why the drummer loses the tempo on the slow parts. The band will be playing and he'll slow it down as he's playing and it just gets lost.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:48 am 

Sepultura are about as popular as a band of their style can get. Even my father knows who Sepultura are.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:52 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
I just listened to Sepultura's Morbid Vision album and I was wondering why the drummer loses the tempo on the slow parts. The band will be playing and he'll slow it down as he's playing and it just gets lost.
He most likely wasn't using a metronome when recording.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:00 am 

I could understand Sepultura never reaching the status of Metallica- being a world wide house hold name. They just would never be able to completely cross over with their sound. Other problems previously mentioned is the fact that they completely changed their style for the worse. I dont think Chaos AD is bad at all but from Roots on is pretty much pure shit. I did hear some of their stuff coming off of their new album wich does sound like an improvement but its still not the same. The Schitzophrenia Beastial Devestation, and Morbid Visions stuff sounds like a whole nother band as well but its great stuff.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:52 am 

There was a time that Sepultura could do no wrong and were steadily on the rise, but I think a lot of the original fans lost the faith in them when Chaos Ad came out including myself, I got roots and listened to it once and could not believe the same band had previously released Arise, BTR, even Morbid Visions, all classics, to me they were getting too tribal and moving further away from the sound that I was used too. So as I said I can remember them steadily growing from album to album and getting more press coverage etc but they lost the plot somewhere along the line. If it is not broke, dont fix it springs to mind.

NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:42 am 

they ARE popular, even when they toured here they got a decent crowd

staying on topic of sepultura, A-Lex is an abomination of an album that was my worst 50 mins (not that i sat through the whole of it) of year 2008, yes i got my hands on leaked thing somewhere around December

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:46 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:

Reason #38723672899138183 why Morbid Visions kicks ass and shits over all the other Sepultura albums

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:51 am 

even Max Cavalera wants nothing to do with the band nowadays.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:56 am 

Who cares about Max Cavalera? His stuff with Soulfly and the debut Cavalera Conspiracy album is 10 times worse than all the post-Arise stuff that Sepultura released.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:00 am 

MegaHassan wrote:
Who cares about Max Cavalera? His stuff with Soulfly and the debut Cavalera Conspiracy album is 10 times worse than all the post-Arise stuff that Sepultura released.

maybe he feels he helped ruin the band, and he knows they can't make another good album, even if he was there.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:05 am 

NetherFog wrote:
staying on topic of sepultura, A-Lex is an abomination of an album that was my worst 50 mins (not that i sat through the whole of it) of year 2008, yes i got my hands on leaked thing somewhere around December

I'm listening to a couple of tracks from A-LEX now on their MySpace. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a different vocalist, but even then it would still be quite bad. "The Treatment" > "We've Lost You", I reckon, but that's not saying much.

Everyone knows I love my modern metal, but seriously, Beneath The Remains + Schizophrenia are much better.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:44 am 

They are very popular, at least here.

parasite_lost
Mobile Oppression Palace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:04 am 

Beneath the Remains is an awesome album. I need to listen to that when I get home. It's probably been over 6 months since I listened to it. I buy too much crap and forget that I already own some fantastic albums.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:22 am 

There was a time where they were popular. Chaos AD and Roots both went Gold in the US and also managed the same in many other countries. I think Max leaving really killed their momentum. All their fans bought Soulfly albums instead. Their debut sold just as well as the last two Sepultura albums with Max.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:41 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
He most likely wasn't using a metronome when recording.

He was also sixteen years old and probably drunk as hell on fiery Brazilian rum!

I only really like the stuff up to and including "Schizophrenia", but "Beneath the Remains" is pretty decent. "Arise" does little for me and you can hear the signs of decline already. They're certainly popular enough. Sadly, I discovered them when "Roots" came out .. and at the time, I thought the vocals would be too extreme for most people, but now it seems screaming is really in, so *shrug*
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Last edited by Abominatrix on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:45 am 

To me their high-points were in the 80s.

Although, a somewhat disappointing part to their popularity is they have, in some cases, become synonymous with Brazilian metal in the 80s and possibly the early 90s. Granted there were bands that were influenced and sounded like them. Yet some others that were decent have been unjustifiably grouped, and then Sepultura gets the higher recognition due to being on a bigger label. I guess the logical thing to do is to compare a bigger band to lesser known surrounding bands automatically as its counterparts. It is sort of like the Metallica-syndrome: where other bands that came after them are lumped in as influenced and identical in nature. Yet, the country Sepultura came from has less of a worldwide distribution; in some cases interviews completely in Portuguese; from what I've read, in the 80s, depending where you lived, it was apparently very hard to import respectable amps; and apparently starting around the beginning of the 90s the pay-to-play feature for opening live bands. In some cases, it is a little different than other well-off countries where an album is distributed and just not good enough. Compared to going out of print or never escaping the borders.

So I think their original popularity was because they were one of the first to start extreme metal where they came from, even with a similar sound to extreme metal bands at that time; the timing was right. Their poor English at that point might of even helped them out at sounding slightly different. Then they actually had the resources to put a few decent records out after that with more of an identity. I don't like these but even looking at Chaos and Roots, when they came out, they were conforming with the timing of groove metal. So as bad as they are, I can see why they were a selling point then.

Quote:
Sepultura needs to be up their with Metallica and Slayer in my opinon. I'd just like to know if anyone agrees.

Some of their material isn't as accessible as those two bands. A small example, I know I've put on 80's Slayer and Sepultura for people who don't listen to thrash at all. And they might linger more towards Slayer, and I would also say Metallica, because of the easier to understand vocals.

Dime90
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:26 am 

K thx for all the comments. It's ashame they messed up their style so much. They definitely should have been in the Big 4 though.Sepultura compltely crushes Anthrax and some of Megadeths work in my opinion.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:32 am 

Megadeth? No. Anthrax.. yes. Slayer and Metallica? yes.

More_brains
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:02 pm 

I Like every thing up to Arise...every thing after...Sucks.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:27 pm 

Eurnonymous wrote:
even Max Cavalera wants nothing to do with the band nowadays.
That's why Soulfly is always covering Sepultura songs? That's why the songs "The Song Remains Insane" and "Terrorist" have lyrics that were previously used in Sepultura songs?

Old Sepultura is some of my favorite material ever recorded, but anything after Schizophrenia just doesn't do anything for me.

On a side note, I recently heard the band's cover of "Procreation of the Wicked." It's awful. Even Mortician did a better job with that song than Seplutura did :nono:

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:17 pm 

Dime90 wrote:
K thx for all the comments. It's ashame they messed up their style so much. They definitely should have been in the Big 4 though.Sepultura compltely crushes Anthrax and some of Megadeths work in my opinion.

Megadeth: Yes
Anthrax No

Nothing beats Among The Living. Thinking about it... Both Among The Living and Beneath The Remains are in my top 10 of best thrash albums ever....

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 pm 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
but anything after Schizophrenia just doesn't do anything for me.

seriously? Beneath the Remains is almost holy for me

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 pm 

Beneath the remains has good production, but the vocals sound tired (imo) and the band at times feels like they're running out of ideas and start to fill giant gaps in their songs with random riffs. Mass Hypnosis is the perfect example of this.

I'd give it 80%. Not great, just decent.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:04 pm 

MegaHassan wrote:
Beneath the remains has good production, but the vocals sound tired (imo) and the band at times feels like they're running out of ideas and start to fill giant gaps in their songs with random riffs. Mass Hypnosis is the perfect example of this.

What do you like so much about ''Morbid Visions''?

I personally like it much as well, but just interested in hearing your opinion about it.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:14 pm 

colin040 wrote:
MegaHassan wrote:

What do you like so much about ''Morbid Visions''?

I personally like it much as well, but just interested in hearing your opinion about it.

Speaking for myself, I think "Morbid Visions" just has an amazing feeling to it. It's nowhere near as ferocious as say, "Bloody Vengeance" or "INRI", but the sound is evil and songs like "Show me the Wrath" contain lots off memorable and dark riffs. Also, that cracking snare sound just rules, and the fact that the guitars are slightly out of tune with each other during the entire album's length makes for a strange warbly effect that somehow just works in a way that is totally illogical.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:46 pm 

MegaHassan wrote:

Tbh I thought Dark Ages was an ok album, haven't heard Soulfly's newest though, can't be arsed to either.

AltoVariago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:48 pm 

it seems to me that they are well respect from rock music critics in general even (and mostly i think) for their much hated 1996's "Roots"

years ago i've even read in an cd encyclopedia (encarta 2001) that they were considered the most popular metal band of 90s

for me its one of the bands that truly helped to shape the concept of metal

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next