Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CertainDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:50 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
I'm a Christian

SIGGED!

Kidding of course. ;)

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:59 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
Do think metal is some kind of exclusive club that stopped taking members the moment you joined?

No one else is allowed to discover metal after you did?

Grow up and get the fuck over it.

This sums it up for me, and this is coming from someone who has spent 6 months with soldiers thinking that Disturbed is the heaviest shit out there.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:19 pm 

whiplash50 wrote:
Now that I see tons of stupid mallcore-type kids running around sporting Maiden tees when all they knew existed were slipknot and disturbed 2 years ago.

:ugh: ...They're t-shirts. Does it bother you that much?
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

AcidBiker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:39 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
Do think metal is some kind of exclusive club that stopped taking members the moment you joined?

I agree with this for the most part.

But at the same time, on a bus returning from Gigantour in Montreal, I felt most passengers must have thought I was among the stupid fucking 15 year olds from Moncton listening to Job for a Cowboy and other garbage on a portable speaker.

Not to mention Gigantour in general. I kind of miss going to concerts and actually feeling somewhat intimidated by a certain percentage of the crowd. For some reason its kind of degrading to be among several thousand people that I feel I could clobber with both arms tied behind my back.

I can see why people would be disgusted by the resurgence, but they're kids. Or just really stupid. Either way, they'll probably be conducting themselves in a way that disgusts me to some extent. At least most of them support some decent bands.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:57 pm 

Wait, wait, wait...

Just reading through the first page...owning an Iron Maiden shirt makes you a poser? You can't own one without being trendy? What is this bullshit. What about the people who actually listen to them avidly, and enjoy their works?

Blah blah blah..

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:59 pm 

In my opinion, lots of people here are very silly.

Yeah, there are teenagers who don't like ''true'' metal. Who fucking cares? Oh, I get it! they're not ''tr00'' enough, right?

Grow up. Who cares what other like?

edit; the only ''posers'' that I find to be annoying are those who say things like; ''Slipknot is the best band evah!'' or; ''Anders Friden has the best vocals ever!11''. I don't mind people liking ''false'' metal, aslong they realise that there's much more talented metal bands out there.

Thudburg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:13 pm 

overkill666 wrote:
Just reading through the first page...owning an Iron Maiden shirt makes you a poser? You can't own one without being trendy? What is this bullshit. What about the people who actually listen to them avidly, and enjoy their works?

Yeah, I have no clue what these guys are trying to say either. Just because someone happens to be under 20 and they're wearing an Iron Maiden shirt, they're automatically classified as a poser? Doesn't make very much sense to me, Iron Maiden is a great band and if someone is wearing one of their shirts chances are they listen to good metal.

Also back on topic, I find it good as there is a chance some quality albums may be released, otherwise we would be listening to the same stuff forever and would eventually run out.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:35 pm 

IMO, the entire concept of this concept is the source of major lols...

"Oh no. The little faggot scene kids that I claim I don't even care about are invading my private music style, that I alone and all the other truekvlt kids can listen to and nobody else. Why can't everybody else also run around in the woods with corpsepaint and only support a metal scene consisting of obscure tape trading movements and selling underground albums on eBay?"

This is just a multitude of :lol: smilies...

Metal is not in any way some kind of closed, sect-like community with specific dress codes, lifestyle restrictions and rites of passage to confirm how true a person is. It is not, and I sure as hell hope that it never will be, as that would be downright pathetic and gay as fuck. In fact, I dare to say that if this was true, it would be so homosexual that it would make even the most gay-looking scene kid seem straight. Anyone who claims that metal is some kind of VIP club of trueness is out of touch with reality, a moron, or quite possibly both at the same time.

Metal is music. The main part of metal is music, always has been music, and I sincerely hope that it always will be music. I do not believe that the metal life style, as people like to call it, even exists. it is just the life style some metalheads choose to live by. It has nothing to do with metal as a music style, and metalheads should sure as hell not be judged by how they conform to it.

As such, listening to metal shouldn't be restricted to some kind of VIP club. Metal is music, and should be open for anyone to enjoy.

Besides, the scene kids aren't even metalheads to begin with, so why should we judge them in any way at all? Nothing bad will happen to you if you just ignore them, no matter how ugly their clothes might be or how immature their attitude might be. So what if a bunch of idiots think we're the same as them? These people are obviously ignorant and therefore there is no need to care about their opinions whatsoever.

Seriously people, just carry on with your lives the way you choose to and drop this fucking bullshit. There are lots of bigger (real) problems in the world to worry about than metal's availability to scene kids.... :roll:
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:41 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:

well said.
Let them hear real metal!

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:06 pm 

:ugh: Look man, who the fuck cares? Chances are if you were not into metal now you would be one of them as it is. As others have said, metal is not an exclusive club, anyone can listen to it. If they do it to look cool it doesn't matter, they'll forget about it in a few years.

The aspect of metal culture based around "fuck yeah, true metal rulez and anyone who thinks it's bad is a poser!! Fuck teh mainstreem!" is childish in the first place, which is what attracts kiddies like that, because they can feel as if they can be a part of something.

Honestly though man, what's it to you? What, you think they're 'tarnishing the name of true metal' or something? It's music man, and metal ideology is stupid. Grow up, and stop whining because you care so much about what others think about you that you take it personally when someone listens to similar music as yourself.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:09 pm 

I once substitute taught a 9th grade class back in 2005 and one of the female students had a Dio t-shirt on, which perplexed the hell out of me. She looked a little bit like one of those Amy Lee wannabe Goths aside from the t-shirt, so I naturally assumed she'd picked it up in Hot Topic because of how cool the logo looked and had never heard the band. After the class was over, I asked her what albums she'd heard by Dio and she proceeded to name every album that Ronnie Dio had been involved in since Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and that her father, who had seen Dio live on 6 different occasions, had gotten her into it.

I take pride in my status as a hipster/grunge/punk-ska/trend hater, but there are a lot of positive elements to Metal's resurgence, regardless of all the pseudo-metal hacks that have come about of late. And the last thing that Metal needs to do is become some closed society of elderly, bitter people with no new generation to pass the torch to.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:10 pm 

Mungo wrote:
:ugh: Look man, who the fuck cares? Chances are if you were not into metal now you would be one of them as it is. As others have said, metal is not an exclusive club, anyone can listen to it. If they do it to look cool it doesn't matter, they'll forget about it in a few years.

Yeah, plus most of us have the same embarassing metal origins as these kids the OP is complaining about. Only somebody like Gutterscream can truly make that argument, how flawed it may be.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:48 pm 

The metal-bashing in this thread is almost sickening. If you people hate this genre so much why don't you just leave the hall?

DYNAROUGE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:04 pm 

At the end of the day, the kids who are geniune and passionate about the music will stick out and keep listening to metal, whereas the kids who are doing it as a fad will find something else.

As for re-releases, I think the OP was more getting at things like Exodus' "Let Their Be Blood", etc.

MusicalFreedom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:12 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
The metal-bashing in this thread is almost sickening. If you people hate this genre so much why don't you just leave the hall?

Sickening, heh. Well, here's my view.

Metal music = good.
Stuff surrounding metal (culture, people, mindset etc...) = iffy. Little bit woah, little bit waay. Know what I mean? I try to avoid it sometimes.

That is why I won't leave the hall. If I ever was in the hall to begin with. Don't even know if I want to be in the hall. I don't like Manowar at all.

Does that sicken you?

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:13 pm 

Yeah, I prefer twats on women, not on forums.

MusicalFreedom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:17 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Yeah, I prefer twats on women, not on forums.

Are you saying because I dislike the metal culture I am a twat, or am I looking at this in the wrong way?

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:26 pm 

That is indeed the case. Though your obnoxious nickname and the sum of your previous posts contribute their part.

MusicalFreedom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:30 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
That is indeed the case. Though your obnoxious nickname and the sum of your previous posts contribute their part.

Hey, what's wrong? With all this talk, I get the feeling I've personally offended you or something, not exactly my intention. Liking the idea of "complete and total freedom of music" is obnoxious? How so?

lawnmowermonster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:31 pm 

colin040 wrote:
In my opinion, lots of people here are very silly.

Yeah, there are teenagers who don't like ''true'' metal. Who fucking cares? Oh, I get it! they're not ''tr00'' enough, right?

Grow up. Who cares what other like?

edit; the only ''posers'' that I find to be annoying are those who say things like; ''Slipknot is the best band evah!'' or; ''Anders Friden has the best vocals ever!11''. I don't mind people liking ''false'' metal, aslong they realise that there's much more talented metal bands out there.

trueness is an illusion. only weak characters have to be true because then they feel strong and worthy. i know many nu metal fans, and not a single one calls it even metal.

only paranoid metalheads think that. bashing other people for listening to un-true music makes you a poser, not them. pretty childish, in my opinion. grow up, guys.

i can't see why we're discussing what other people like. i simply listen to my own music, and i am lucky with that. and that's not metal bashing. i simply feel annoyed.

annoyed by some real disgusting scene kids who always act as true as possible. guys like that always make me ashamed of being a metalhead. metal doesn't need this.

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:35 pm 

I personally have no problem with kids getting into metal. My only peeve is that some dipshits truly believe that Slipknot and Disturbed and other mallcore garbage is brutal metal and leave the good brutal bands behind at the store.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:40 pm 

I don't care about it either way. It has no effect on my life.

Thudburg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:49 pm 

Anyone should be allowed to get into metal, its just when they make ridiculous claims without even being educated that seems to anger people. typical example:' slipknot is brutal metal!!!' I can't say I have actually ever heard that from anyone ever besides from obvious youtube trolls. If it were to happen in real life I would laugh it off and tell them to listen to something that's actually brutal, like Slaughter's Strappado. No need to lose sleep over it.. and also the resurgence allows for new material to be recorded in the hopes some possible gems get produced!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:21 pm 

I think about 85% of the posts in this thread, including the OP, are full of misfires. You guys are totally directing your bullets in the wrong and tiniest issues.

Talk about missing the big picture. Jesus, people.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:36 pm 

MusicalFreedom wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

Hey, what's wrong? With all this talk, I get the feeling I've personally offended you or something, not exactly my intention. Liking the idea of "complete and total freedom of music" is obnoxious? How so?

Don't worry about it, its the internet.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:36 pm 

MusicalFreedom wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

Sickening, heh. Well, here's my view.

Metal music = good.
Stuff surrounding metal (culture, people, mindset etc...) = iffy. Little bit woah, little bit waay. Know what I mean? I try to avoid it sometimes.

That is why I won't leave the hall. If I ever was in the hall to begin with. Don't even know if I want to be in the hall. I don't like Manowar at all.

Does that sicken you?

I'm pretty sure that EntilZha wasn't including me in his list of Metal haters because I like the idea of younger people getting into Metal "for real" or that I used Dio as an example of Metalness (if I was on the list for the latter, then I'd argue that he'd have to leave the hall). Anyway, to address your point:

I'm not too big on the whole church burning thing or physically attacking Swedish death metal bands for not being evil enough, but what aside from stuff like that bothers you about the metal culture? Personally I like the idea of being brutally honest about what you like and dislike about music, politics, religion or whatever other subject. All of this talk about accepting every other opinion as equally valid or loving everything equally is for the birds.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:17 pm 

EntilZha wrote:

Wait... what? I haven't seen any metal bashing at all in this thread. I've seen asshole bashing, though. Sure, alot of these assholes tend to listen to metal.

I'd like to see what you think metal bashing is, because the closest I've seen has been "well I hate assholes in the metal scene/alot of people in the metal scene are assholes" etc... Usually followed by "I love metal, metal is my favourite genre of music" and whatnot. Please do say: Where is the metal bashing in here?

In fact, when I read your post regarding NeglectedField's comments I was baffled. How does not "living and breathing metal" make you superficial? Example: I work a job that requires perfectly ironed shirt and pants, tie and a nice hairdo. When I leave my house for work, that's who I am. When I come home, I put on some metal. Does this make me superficial? I'm not trying to argue, I'd just like for you to clear that up for me. Perhaps elaborate on what "living for metal" means to you?

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:02 am 

Everyone had their start with metal... mine was Korn and of all the lamest bands, Limp Bizkit for crying out loud. Many considered this in the 90's a rise of "metal". Yes, it wasn't, but the heaviness (if you wish to call it that) of those bands as opposed to the likes of I dunno... Hanson, NSYNC, Aerosmith and other pop-oriented artists made me wanna get into some heavier stuff. Indeed those band somehow paved way for me to find "real metal"... and most of it I don't like as much today as I used to in my youth but I still have a huge love for most of the real metal bands I have in my collection.

So I don't mind this whole metal resurfacing thing... yes, it's marketed as a trendy thing but I'd rather see people liking something like The Black Dahlia Murder as opposed to some real nonsense music like Beyonce, Soulja Boy, J-Lo, Lil Wayne, or any other pointless artist. Everyone has their start, as much as most of us think it's trendy, lame, and above all stupid.

I personally could care less if today's youth isn't getting into "real metal." At the end of the day; I don't even think most of them care to know if it is real metal or not. It might be metal music on some level they're getting into as much as you wish to disagree (ex - Killswitch Engage, Cradle of Filth, etc) and they probably could care less if it is real metal. They just want to hear something they can like, not what they think is real metal. Yes, there are a lot of idiots who actually claim they're into some of the most realest metal out there like Killswitch Engage (which we all know is hardcore and metal combined) but in which sort of crowd isn't there a village idiot?

At the end of the day, it's tolerable. If you're taking it sooo to the heart that metal is making a bad sort of resurgence where the youth is not getting into it like you wish for them to, then seriously, get over yourself. Everyone has their starting point as stated in my initial paragraph. Some of you might have gotten into the metal scene "better" and more well educated than others but understand not everyone gets easily introduced to a famed real metal band like Testament or Morbid Angel as easily.

[/rant]

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:20 am 

Metal, to me, is the most selfish thing I know that I do. To me, Metal is all about me, and what I like. Sure it's cool to bond and what not with other Metal-heads, but when it comes to it, what matters is what you like. All these "posers" have no affect on any of your lives at all, so we really don't need to care. If it doesn't harm or affect you in any way, why do you give a shit. To me, people that believe in shit like this are just as controlling and ridiculous as any religion. It's no different. You believe one thing, and one thing only, and if someone thinks any different, they are not accepted. It's retarded. You claim to hate religion... Yet you want to run one at the same time by trying to hate and talk about posers like they're the fucking plague, just like a church does to non-religious people. Mind your own fucking business, and enjoy the music you like and that's all you need to do.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:52 am 

I can't say it bothers me at all. Not because "omg metal is so embarrasing" or whatever, because it doesn't affect me. I'll listen to what I want to, and they can listen to it if they want to. Some will stay true, others will move on. I don't understand how it can be irritating, really.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:59 am 

caspian wrote:
I can't say it bothers me at all. Not because "omg metal is so embarrasing" or whatever, because it doesn't affect me. I'll listen to what I want to, and they can listen to it if they want to. Some will stay true, others will move on. I don't understand how it can be irritating, really.

Exactly my point sir, well said.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:10 am 

we did not born knowing everything about metal... we have to "join" into metal music at one point

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:42 am 

Almost every post in the thread (and almost every post in every similar thread I have ever seen on this and other message boards) is a subtle testament to why some people feel the way that they do about this "resurgence." You are all new scions of a culture that has gradually learned, through the unavoidable osmotic effects of normalization, to be strikingly uncomfortable with itself; ashamed of an illusory past and embarrassed by a murky present. 95% of the posts in the thread espouse the same basic viewpoint; and yet you speak as though you were the vocal minority, the few reasonable minds in a sea of brutish orthodoxy. This bespeaks a great urgency to prove something to someone. I have been wondering for many years now about the nature of the 'who' and the 'what' there concerned; I reckon I will wonder for many more to come. I often doubt that you yourselves really know.

I, personally, do not, have never, and likely never will have much of anything to offer that would be of any substantive value to the generation comprising the majority of this forum, and the majority of the greater fandom. I can, however, offer an observation, cultivated over many years, that may be a comfort (or even a vindication) to you. The observation is this: those persons which many of you have alluded to in your posts--'whiners', 'the selfish', 'the stagnant', the 'elitists'--are both comparatively small in number--far, far smaller than popular conception seems to hold--and generally very transient in outlook; given a scant year or two, they will be just like you.

Metal, like every subculture, has of course always dealt with identity issues. But having watched for a length of time that spans more than one era, it strikes me that these issues have come to be the locus of the subculture's concerns, growing from an issue to a full-blown crisis; this is the most substantial new development of your generation's era, moreso than any of the newer musical substyles that have emerged. The intense focus on this identity crisis, and all of its discordant fronts--the enshrinement of a muscular, unique 'individuality' alongside a nigh phobic hatred of 'labels'; the deprecation of the meaning/worth of categorization juxtaposed with an ardent concern that the "traditional" modes of such are far too restrictive; the fear of an infinite regress of "conformities" grappling with the notion that non-conformity is a juvenile ideal; feigned indifference to the entire subject regularly and loudly expressed at each of the innumerable opportunities; a person being lambasted by his peers for expressing concern over the views of others, in the context of a group which prides itself on not being concerned with the views of others; and on and on and on. It is as though the majority of the subculture's constituents wait with baited breath for the outcome of a coin toss--principled overstagnation, overriding nostalgia, manic xenophobia, and 'Elitism' on one side; artificial unorthodoxy, fanatical panculturalism, zealous egalitarianism, and Open-Mindedness (TM) on the other. The two divinities feed off one another, waxing ever more corpulent and ever more saturate; they were deified by (the coin was tossed by) the exponential growth in the subculture's rapid manufactured exposure to the world at large. This is why some are concerned about the effects of this exposure, and why not every older metalhead you are apt to meet is willing to treat you as a jaded sage, despite your five long years and your thousands of mp3s.

Someone mentioned the importance of metal's constituency not becoming bitter old men not only unwilling or unable to pass the torch, but without anyone to pass it to in the first place; this is a valid observation. However, if there is a reluctance in this regard, perhaps it is due to a not unfounded concern that the new generation will view this torch as a burden, an embarrassing relic from an unenlightened age, a meaningless plaything of no real consequence, or even as an insult. It is a time wherein the very word 'metalhead' is as liable to be interpreted as an affront to one's personal dignity as not; and this not in the eyes of the general public, but of metalheads themselves. The prominence of this phenomenon is a new development, and it has not passed entirely unnoticed by preceding generations.

Now, if this thread were allowed to go for 100 pages, it would constitute 99 pages of rewordings of the thread's first posted response. As such, it has already run its course (and impotently rendered redundant its inevitable spiritual brethren).
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2