Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:16 pm 

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:00 pm 

I use the term to refer to metal styles that were founded in the 90s or 00s, and some modernisations of older genres. Everything ranging from metalcore to post-metal and from modern black metal ("3rd wave") to modern doom metal. I do associate the term with tight production.

ConcequenceOfChoice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:24 pm 

For instance when I was searching bands through genres Metallica came up and their genre was listed as "old Thrash and "new modern metal/rock. So I thought it was the bands that were more mainstream metal bands, the ones you would hear on rock radio or whatever. Annihilator comes to mind aswell when I think of modern metal.

ConcequenceOfChoice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:25 pm 

caspian wrote:
This is pretty stupid, guys.

Modern Metal= Metal that has been made recently.

It's pretty straightforward. it's like you guys are arguing about what "80s Metal" means.

according to this site "Modern Metal" is a metal genre. That is why I am asking.

ampc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:57 pm 

In that case I guess they mean hard rock with that "modern" sound?

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:48 pm 

I basically look at modern metal as stuff that strays away from the more traditional, old-school sound in terms of musicianship, production, songwriting and so on.

Modern metal to me, is simply a type of sound that sounds more polished than the more old-school sound, and which is farther away from the roots of the genre.

For example, Hellhammer, Aura Noir, Deathcrush-era Mayhem, Morbid Angel, early Death, Possessed, Manilla Road and Judas Priest are old-school, while Funeral Mist, Watain, Deathspell Omega, Dimmu Borgir, Mortician, Devourment, Dying Fetus, Avantasia, Alestorm and In Flames are all modern.

IMO it's not all just about the time when it was released, but also about how it sounds. Is it traditional, raw, and close to it's roots, or is it more polished and further away from it's predecessors?
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:59 pm 

doom_monger wrote:
I knew someone was going to bring my registration date up. I've been lurking here since 2004. We're derailing this poor guys thread more than we would have if he had just let it slide. Or, better yet, contributed more than a sentence or two himself.

I was referring to his post count, not his join-date. I didn't say that at all. You should stop making assumptions.

And "Modern Metal" really does mean Metal created in modern times. That's why no "one" band can help someone achieve an understanding of such a thing. I wouldn't think anyone needed help understanding it to begin with.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:25 pm 

ConcequenceOfChoice wrote:
caspian wrote:
This is pretty stupid, guys.

Modern Metal= Metal that has been made recently.

It's pretty straightforward. it's like you guys are arguing about what "80s Metal" means.

according to this site "Modern Metal" is a metal genre. That is why I am asking.

Dude, people can add almost anything they want on here; some stuff just happens to get by the mods.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:07 am 

Like this band. How am I supposed to know what they play?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2