Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:22 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
The amount of ass kissing in this thread is insane :lol:.
Ass kissing implies that we don't genuinely mean what we say. So I can't agree with you here.

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:58 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Ass kissing implies that we don't genuinely mean what we say. So I can't agree with you here.

Haha alright everyone, give those brown lips a rest! Ok now that I've done that, I have a quick question for Jim: Is there anything you could share bro, about a show morbid saint did with deceased back in the day? Deceased used to play lots of shows around locally in Virginia, and I noticed one old deceased flyers once that had morbid saint on the bill! What a sick show, now that's an old school death metal show. Thanks in advance!!

Dee2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:15 am 

Hey jim, i think it's great you are posting here.

I have a question: How big is your guitar collection...and What is your favorite type of guitar to play?

noysegrynder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:36 am 

Hey Jim! Nice to see you on here. There's somethin' I have to say. GET THE FUCKING BAND BACK TOGETHER!

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:27 am 

I've never been a fan of thrash, however I just checked out some stuff on Youtube, and I am undeniably impressed with your music. Thanks for sharing you and your music with us!

----------------
Now playing: Quo Vadis - Silence Calls the Storm
via FoxyTunes

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:53 am 

whiplash50 wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Haha alright everyone, give those brown lips a rest!

Enough of the brown nose bullshit. Cut out the nonsense.

Humanity_Lost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:33 am 

Sup

Morbid Saint was the first thrash band that I fell in love with. You guys are awesome.

Corimngul
Freddled Gruntbuggly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:42 am 

Jim, you guys did some awesome music back then.

BastardHead wrote:
Also, Spectrum of Death is more of an MA thrash classic, not necessarily a widely recognized one.

Quite true. It's not often I meet someone here who enjoys the band, and most of the time it turns out to be someone who I introduced to 'Saint myself. Not too surprising seeing Sweden's poor track record of thrash, I guess.
Because I hate ID 100369. Numbers 19, 29, 39, 49, 59 are incomplete and I hate it!

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:07 am 

Hypnosia weighs up for the poor track reckord though!

Also, to Jim and the legacy of Morbid Saint - ROCK ON!

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

violent_scimitar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:31 am 

Jim,

Just 2 quick questions:

Are you still involved with Splatter Haus?

By the way, do you happen to remember if MS played a gig with Impact in 1989?

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:51 pm 

Posting in epic thread.

Anyways, it's been a long time since I've posted here, and the first thing I see is this brilliance.

Spectrum of Death is and will always be one of the most amazing albums I listen to. So thanks for that. It's pretty sweet to see how much you care for the fans. :)

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:23 pm 

Corimngul wrote:

BastardHead wrote:
Also, Spectrum of Death is more of an MA thrash classic, not necessarily a widely recognized one.

Quite true. It's not often I meet someone here who enjoys the band, and most of the time it turns out to be someone who I introduced to 'Saint myself. Not too surprising seeing Sweden's poor track record of thrash, I guess.

Just to comment on the MA-classic status of Spectrum of Death:
I believe there is a bit of truth to this claim, since after all, I only learned of the band through this website (THANK YOU, by the way).

HOWEVER, when Power Play reissued SoD, Metal Haven got a few copies. They were all accounted for within a week. The only way I got mine was because someone requested a copy be put on hold and then didn't contact Mark when he said he would... and I happened to be there. So at the very least, Morbid Saint is well known in Chicago. Rarely do I ever see such albums fly off the shelves at MH.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:24 pm 

Ribos wrote:
Corimngul wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

Just to comment on the MA-classic status of Spectrum of Death:
I believe there is a bit of truth to this claim, since after all, I only learned of the band through this website

Same here. But then, how many of the bands I listen to today, would I listen to without MA?
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:25 pm 

I hope most people who posted in this thread votes for Spectrum of Death in the top metal albums survey.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:26 pm 

It's in my top 5, I believe.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:23 pm 

Kruel wrote:
I hope most people who posted in this thread votes for Spectrum of Death in the top metal albums survey.

If I make a list, there's a very good chance it's going on it.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:09 am 

I just seen this thread and heard of Jim's arrival. My friend gave me "Spectrum of Death" along with "Destruction System" saying; "it is the some most amazing thrash out there". Fucking oath, he wasn't wrong. I love SoD and thought I'd add to the ass kissery. It is one of the most (if not the most) insane and brutal thrash metal I've heard heard and it just exudes quality in the riffs. Great stuff. It's just unfortunate that "Destruction System" never got the production it could have gotten. Unlike black metal, that album doesn't sound better with crappy production :(.

Also, if you do ever tour again, COME TO AUSTRALIA!

- Tim Minchin

bloodovsothis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:18 am 

Kruel wrote:
Shit! I forgot to put that one on...the cons of making your list on impulse :(

Bow Down to none...For no God is Greater than You!

My Youtube

Morbid4ever
Assassin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:59 pm 

whiplash50 wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Haha alright everyone, give those brown lips a rest! Ok now that I've done that, I have a quick question for Jim: Is there anything you could share bro, about a show morbid saint did with deceased back in the day? Deceased used to play lots of shows around locally in Virginia, and I noticed one old deceased flyers once that had morbid saint on the bill! What a sick show, now that's an old school death metal show. Thanks in advance!!

I finally got a chance to reply to some of the last posts.
I haven’t figured out how to quote more than one person yet so I’m just going to answer the questions I got in the order I read them.
Yes we did play some shows with deceased but I’m not sure they were the same band you’re speaking of. I believe the band we played with was from Milwaukee but I could be wrong.
There was a lot of drinking going on back in those days so I can’t remember everything, we played so many shows with so many different bands it’s hard to remember them all.
Yes I still own and operate Splatterhaus, for those of you that don’t know, Splatterhaus is a haunted attraction that I started back in 1997. That is my full time job these days and it keeps me pretty busy all year long.
If you’re interested you can check it out at www.splatterhaus.com.
Impact sounds familiar to me but I’m not sure, sorry!!!
I have 5 guitars right now, three that are good and two that are just for beatin the shit out of.
The three good ones are a Jackson Rhoads R1 which is my main guitar, an American made neck through BC Rich Ironbird from the early 80’s and a Moser custom that I bought last year. I really don’t feel the need to collect guitars, I only own guitars that I play. The Jackson Rhoads R1 is my personal favorite but the BC rich is so sweet to play I usually switch between them both.
I think that was everything for now.
Hope you guys had a great Christmas and I look forward to talking to you soon!!!!!!

Thanks as always!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Xpert74
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:37 am 

I too am a huge fan of Morbid Saint and Spectrum of Death. I consider it one of my top 3 favorite Metal albums ever. Some days I think it's my absolute favorite (it's hard to decide something like that :p). I also agree that Assassin is a great song. I like others too like Crying For Death, but Assassin really stands out.

Spectrum of Death is one of the most intense albums I've ever listened to. It's amazing how despite the fact it's over 20 years old now, it still manages to sound more aggressive than almost every other album I've heard, whether from the '80s or today. Great job on helping create such an awesome album :D

Also, to quote more than one user in a post, you click "quote reply" for one post, copy the entire text in the message box, then click back in your browser to quote another post. You then paste the first quote at the beginning of the new text box, and you again copy & paste the entire text in the message box (both the first quote and the second quote together). Then you repeat that until you're quoted all the posts you intend to respond to. It's a little complicated, and I sometimes still mess up when I do it, but that's how you can quote more than one person in a single post :)

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:47 am 

Odd, it seems this thread was made on the day I ordered Spectrum of Death.

Morbid4ever
Assassin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:56 am 

Xpert74 wrote:
I too am a huge fan of Morbid Saint and Spectrum of Death. I consider it one of my top 3 favorite Metal albums ever. Some days I think it's my absolute favorite (it's hard to decide something like that :p). I also agree that Assassin is a great song. I like others too like Crying For Death, but Assassin really stands out.

Spectrum of Death is one of the most intense albums I've ever listened to. It's amazing how despite the fact it's over 20 years old now, it still manages to sound more aggressive than almost every other album I've heard, whether from the '80s or today. Great job on helping create such an awesome album :D

Also, to quote more than one user in a post, you click "quote reply" for one post, copy the entire text in the message box, then click back in your browser to quote another post. You then paste the first quote at the beginning of the new text box, and you again copy & paste the entire text in the message box (both the first quote and the second quote together). Then you repeat that until you're quoted all the posts you intend to respond to. It's a little complicated, and I sometimes still mess up when I do it, but that's how you can quote more than one person in a single post :)

Thanks, I can't believe I didn't figure that out.

I have one question for everyone that posts here, is the only video you have seen of Morbid the one from Metal fest on youtube?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Jim

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:43 am 

Morbid4ever wrote:
Xpert74 wrote:

Thanks, I can't believe I didn't figure that out.

I have one question for everyone that posts here, is the only video you have seen of Morbid the one from Metal fest on youtube?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Jim

I'm always scared to see live taped footage of my favorite thrash bands mainly because I get attached to the music so much that I think some stupid small detail in the video will ruin my perfect vision of the band.

Anyway, I checked out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ux5Sb-_9o4 - and I have to ask, did you guys do what Dark Angel did and play your music faster live than you recorded? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but Assassin sounds a bit faster there than as I remember from Spectrum Of Death.

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:57 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Anyway, I checked out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ux5Sb-_9o4 - and I have to ask, did you guys do what Dark Angel did and play your music faster live than you recorded? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but Assassin sounds a bit faster there than as I remember from Spectrum Of Death.

That happens with almost every band.

I wonder where you got the lyrical inspiration for "Scars". The only thing I can think of is Alice in Wonderland, but is there anything deeper behind the lyrics? They're not exactly your "run-of-the-mill evil metal lyrics" after all.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:29 am 

Morbid4ever wrote:

That's all I've seen anyway...

Also, "Crying for Death" is perhaps my second-favorite behind Assassin!

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

Dail
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:47 pm 

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8 wrote:
Welcome bro! Spectrum of Death is one of the most violent thrash metal outputs and I love it! :headbang:

Damien song rules!

agreed. absolutely LEGENDARY.

print up some new shirts!!!!!!!!!!!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:01 pm 

Listening to Spectrum of Death now, and it's great, hails! Maybe not a 100% album, but very enjoyable, fun and violent all the same. This is one I'll be turning on whenever I want a good Thrashing.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:05 pm 

My favorite thing about the album is that the vocals are the ONLY vocals that I can say truly, truly sound like Satan himself.

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:41 pm 

just gonna be the millionth person to welcome you to the site Jim, Spectrum Of Death is an awesome album so thank you for helping to bring it into existence :D hope you had a good Christmas

Sadomator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:23 pm 

These days finnaly I'm getting Spectrum Of Death on LP, for 120 euros (but it's worth much higher), so Jim now you know all about the price one of the best albums ever written.

And, please, think about that reunion tour, you have a lot of fans around the world man. It would be awesome to see you playing and thrashing again.

You're the piece of history. Thankx again for one of the best things in my life, Morbid Saint!

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:31 pm 

Sadomator wrote:
These days finnaly I'm getting Spectrum Of Death on LP, for 120 euros (but it's worth much higher)

Huh? Please tell me that's the original version. I bought a reissue for 40 euros, but a bit later a saw a copy on sale for 20 euros.

Last edited by _Aargh on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hjorlejf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:39 pm 

Sadomator wrote:
finnaly I'm getting Spectrum Of Death on LP, for 120 euros (but it's worth much higher)

As good as the album is, I couldn't justify buying ANY single album for that price!

Sadomator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:01 pm 

_Aargh wrote:
Sadomator wrote:
These days finnaly I'm getting Spectrum Of Death on LP, for 120 euros (but it's worth much higher)

Huh? Please tell me that's the original version. I bought a reissue for 40 euros, but a bit later a saw a copy on sale for 20 euros.

No way. This is just No Colours reissue limited to 300 copies. The original version is impossible to find, and even if you find it, the price wouldn't be under 800$.

Just see, LP'S from this No Colours reissue nowdays are about 100 euros, it's like Sarcofago's I.N.R.I. reissue two or three years ago, now it's the same prices, about 70-80 euros.

Gregg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:34 pm 

I'm glad this board has been graced by the presence of the one of the best things my state has produced

I makes me kind of proud that perhaps when some metal head think of Wisconsin for what ever reason, or pass through it on their way to other places, they'll think "Dude, this is where Morbid Saint is from". It's good to be known for something other than two sports teams that have slipped into mediocrity.

Gregg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:39 am 

Oh man, I spun Spectrum of Death for the first time in ages, and I was headbanging the whole fucking time. The whole damn album is amazing and violent. Don't get me started on when a solo kicks in :headbang:

Morbid4ever
Assassin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:21 am 

Thanks for the kind words again.
Just thought I would let you know I will be checking out the Kreator Exodus show in Milwaukee WI. on April 16th 09. Maybe I will see some of you there.

Thanks Again!!!!!!

Jim

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:42 am 

There is a concerning amount of ass-kissing present in this thread. Everyone's talking up Morbid Saint like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Some of the comments are pretty funny, in a bad way.

However, I realised I had not actually heard Morbid Saint yet, so I'm listening to some tracks on MySpace. Well, I have to say it's not bad. The vocals are something I'll have to get more used to in the future, but as it stands right now, the songs I'm hearing are quite good.

I'm not going to say it's the greatest thrash I've ever heard, because it isn't. Yet, if I saw this in the shops, I'd more than likely pick it up.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:10 am 

Well, it's obviously not greatest thrash album ever made, but its one of the best. If I had the money, I'd buy it just for the awesomeness of the first three songs.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:12 am 

MegaHassan wrote:
Well, it's obviously not greatest thrash album ever made

Some of the comments here tend to prove otherwise. :gay: :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am 

MikeyC wrote:
There is a concerning amount of ass-kissing present in this thread. Everyone's talking up Morbid Saint like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Some of the comments are pretty funny, in a bad way.

That's funny, Mikey. Calling people out on ass kissing and you're one of the biggest drama queens on here. :lol:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next