Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TooHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:46 am 

I accept that the new direction is not black metal, but still, I just don't enjoy the music. If you do, fair enough, that's fine. To me, this album just seemed like an obvious cash grab. The music sacrificed talent and creativity for catchiness. Frost's drum performance is clear proof of this, if you've noticed his recent work with 1349 you'll know what I'm talking about.

Issitoq
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:24 am 

TooHuman wrote:
I accept that the new direction is not black metal, but still, I just don't enjoy the music. If you do, fair enough, that's fine. To me, this album just seemed like an obvious cash grab. The music sacrificed talent and creativity for catchiness. Frost's drum performance is clear proof of this, if you've noticed his recent work with 1349 you'll know what I'm talking about.

It takes talent to be catchy.

After listening to parts of The Shadowthrone and The Age of Nero consecutively, I can't actually hear much of a difference; the latter just sounds like the former with less chaotic songwriting. Yes, it sounds vapid, but so does everything that Satyricon has ever released.

To answer the OP's question, you could always get it new on eBay.

lord_abraxas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:25 am 

The Age of Nero is a good album. It sounds similar to the Volcano era, but nothing beats Rebel Extravaganza, best Satyricon album so far!

skyforestblaze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:08 am 

Darkthrone, Carpathian Forest, and Satyricon are all bands who once were into real blackmetal, but who are nowadays riding on the so-called "Black 'n Roll" bandwagon. Most of these old 'scene-heroes' are now just trying to win over the hearts of little headbanging (black)metal kids, and want to reach as big a public as possible. Compared to real underground blackmetal releases, the last couple of albums by these bands sound like uninspired fucking radio music, absolutely devoid of any atmosphere. Support the real underground, not these rockstars!

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:23 am 

I don't know, I personally don't see the kiddies packing Fuck You All!!!! t-shirts or praising Nattefrost (like the god he fucking is!) besides me, and in all honesty, I'm a little strange. Carpathian Forest have always been doing the thrashy black metal, or "black 'n' roll" as you put it, thing since they started. Even the Grimm demo has it in there. Heck, the main riff from Everyday I Must Suffer is straight from The Embrace of the Cold, so if anything Carp Forest are doing absolutely nothing in regards to changing their style except cleaning up the production a bit.

So yeah, I'll throw on Black Shining Leather and Fuck You All!!!! side by side and enjoy the heck out of them knowing that this is a band that hasn't compromised at all, and then laugh at you for being an idiot.

Nazg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:57 pm 

skyforestblaze wrote:
Darkthrone, Carpathian Forest, and Satyricon are all bands who once were into real blackmetal, but who are nowadays riding on the so-called "Black 'n Roll" bandwagon. Most of these old 'scene-heroes' are now just trying to win over the hearts of little headbanging (black)metal kids, and want to reach as big a public as possible. Compared to real underground blackmetal releases, the last couple of albums by these bands sound like uninspired fucking radio music, absolutely devoid of any atmosphere. Support the real underground, not these rockstars!

Haha. Do you really think that about Darkthrone's latest albums or was that just tired trolling? Oh well, I'm too bored I guezz.

"riding on the so-called "Black 'n Roll" bandwagon". Just no, if you can't see how stupid this sentence is regarding DT, then LOL.

"trying to win over the hearts of little headbanging (black)metal kids, and want to reach as big a public as possible". See above and add extra LOL.

"absolutely devoid of any atmosphere". Well, you say it like it's a fact and that's fuck.

Oh and please, that "Black 'n Roll" term is WACK nigga. Is early Bathory "Black 'n Roll" and not just Black Metal? Are you one of those wolvesinthethroneroom + Souther Lord fanboys? Do you like METAL riffs?(omg its relative whats a metal riff!!11). Are Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol cool bands? Who is cooler Satan or God? Do you think Mercyful Fate's first 2 albums are Black Metal? What is real Black Metal to you? Have you seen High School Musical? If yes, did you cry while watching it? Is Grave Diggaz 6 Feet Deep - album DOPE?

skyforestblaze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:18 pm 

Nazg wrote:
Oh and please, that "Black 'n Roll" term is WACK nigga. Is early Bathory "Black 'n Roll" and not just Black Metal? Are you one of those wolvesinthethroneroom + Souther Lord fanboys? Do you like METAL riffs?(omg its relative whats a metal riff!!11). Are Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol cool bands? Who is cooler Satan or God? Do you think Mercyful Fate's first 2 albums are Black Metal? What is real Black Metal to you? Have you seen High School Musical? If yes, did you cry while watching it? Is Grave Diggaz 6 Feet Deep - album DOPE?

What do we have here!? A 14 year old Finnisch boy who desperately tries to be funny? Get back to school, or even better, commit suicide. You are from Finland, aren't you...?

Oh, and to Bezerko...
I reckon your favorite Nattefrost track is Blood & Vomit's track number 9?
If you give me your address, I can send you a cd-r so you can hear me take a piss too. That way you'll have another god to worship.
And by the way, your 5000+ post count does not impress me...

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:34 pm 

Nazg is correct, you do indeed seem like someone who buys every single Southern Lord release.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:16 pm 

skyforestblaze, just stop being the immature pre-teen that you are and get off the computer like mommy keeps telling you. You've embarrassed yourself enough in this thread with those ill-researched and uneducated remarks about Carpathian Forest and Darkthrone. Let's get back to talking METAL.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:34 pm 

I actually fucking lol'd at saying Darkthrone want to reach as big a public as possible. Because in all honesty, I don't see the little 15-16 year old scene kids wearing Transilvanian Hunger shirts. Sorry, but anybody who has read or heard just one interview with Fenriz knows that he's the complete opposite of that. He doesn't care about trends or money whatsoever. He does what he wants because he pretty much makes music for himself, as does Nocturno.

Really, calling Darkthrone rockstars. That's sad, when they're anything BUT rockstars.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:39 pm 

Speaking of Fenriz interviews I found this recent one very interesting:

http://anagramaorganico.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to read it. He quit drinking!!!

skyforestblaze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:43 pm 

If you people can't handle it if someone gives their unsalted opinion about your beloved bands, then you might as well quit the internet. Or start posting on a forum where all people have the same taste as you. I will conclude this in pure Darkthrone fashion: FUCK OFF AND DIE

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:47 pm 

skyforestblaze wrote:
If you people can't handle it if someone gives their unsalted opinion about your beloved bands, then you might as well quit the internet. Or start posting on a forum where all people have the same taste as you. I will conclude this in pure Darkthrone fashion: FUCK OFF AND DIE

Give me ONE fact that shows that Fenriz and Nocturno Culto care about the mainstream scene, and want to make money - and I'll concede. But to state something as a fact, with absolutely NO proof of it, while there's much proof to the contrary - well, that's laughable that you're butthurt over people calling you out on it.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:39 pm 

Darkthrone are NOT money grabbers by any means. I remember reading somewhere that Nocturno Culto stated that they make albums to be raw on purpose, to stay UNDERGROUND. Not to make money. Plus to quote Nergel from Behemoth: "You don't play extreme metal for the money because there really is no money in it. You play it because you love it."

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:50 pm 

Quoting Nergal isn't the best thing to do in this discussion...
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:54 pm 

I'm just using that quote to show that you can't use extreme metal to make money. So saying that about a band such as Darkthrone is absurd.

blakkmetalmaniak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:05 pm 

skyforestblaze wrote:

Fuck black 'n roll. It's only another gay metal trend like deathcore. Leave it to the close-minded elite if they like it.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:39 pm 

blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
skyforestblaze wrote:

Fuck black 'n roll. It's only another gay metal trend like deathcore. Leave it to the close-minded elite if they like it.

You guys realize that black metal was just another gay metal trend, back in the late 80s/early 90s when the so-called 2nd wave came to fruition?

You're the close-minded elite, here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:43 pm 

What the fuck is wrong with rock n roll, anyway? It's great music. And I'm no Black Metal expert, but I'm pretty sure the origins of Black Metal sounded plenty punk/rock-ish itself.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:14 pm 

skyforestblaze wrote:
If you people can't handle it if someone gives their unsalted opinion about your beloved bands, then you might as well quit the internet. Or start posting on a forum where all people have the same taste as you. I will conclude this in pure Darkthrone fashion: OFF AND DIE

Nicely put :beer:

However, i do (politely, however) disagree about the whole "blackn' roll" thing. I support a Blackened Thrash (They are the same, right?) revival movement.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:17 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
What the is wrong with rock n roll, anyway? It's great music. And I'm no Black Metal expert, but I'm pretty sure the origins of Black Metal sounded plenty punk/rock-ish itself.

Nothing. rock and Roll is awesome. Without it, we would have no metal.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:

blakkmetalmaniak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:21 pm 

vashts80 wrote:
blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
skyforestblaze wrote:

You guys realize that black metal was just another gay metal trend, back in the late 80s/early 90s when the so-called 2nd wave came to fruition?

Black metal is an own genre, it revolutionized music, black 'n roll is nothing but another sucky sub-genre.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:50 pm 

blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
vashts80 wrote:
blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
skyforestblaze wrote:

Black metal is an own genre, it revolutionized music, black 'n roll is nothing but another sucky sub-genre.

As I said in another thread, people like you are why the metal scene becomes poisoned and stagnates. Close-minded morons like you. Extreme metal itself was nothing more than "another gay metal trend" when it started in the mid-late 80s (with the emergence of death metal) and then when the 2nd wave of BM started in late 80s/early 90s.

Also, black metal is a sub-genre of metal, you fucking idiot. What is black n' roll a sub-genre of? Is it a sub-genre of a sub-genre?

Nothing makes me more ashamed to listen to metal, than the average intelligence of the scene in general. People who think that metal is the be-all end-all of music, or that a certain genre is the only thing that's good enough and everything else is shit, or then the people who think that "metalness" is the only thing that matters in their existence - and that people who listen to metal have to fit the stereotypical scumbag look. You disgust me.

blakkmetalmaniak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:56 pm 

vashts80 wrote:
blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
vashts80 wrote:
blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
skyforestblaze wrote:

As I said in another thread, people like you are why the metal scene becomes poisoned and stagnates. Close-minded morons like you. Extreme metal itself was nothing more than "another gay metal trend" when it started in the mid-late 80s (with the emergence of death metal) and then when the 2nd wave of BM started in late 80s/early 90s.

Also, black metal is a sub-genre of metal, you fucking idiot. What is black n' roll a sub-genre of? Is it a sub-genre of a sub-genre?

Nothing makes me more ashamed to listen to metal, than the average intelligence of the scene in general. People who think that metal is the be-all end-all of music, or that a certain genre is the only thing that's good enough and everything else is shit, or then the people who think that "metalness" is the only thing that matters in their existence - and that people who listen to metal have to fit the stereotypical scumbag look. You disgust me.

I simply hate black 'n roll because it sucks, not because of the metalness. It's called an opinion, shithead.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:25 pm 

skyforestblaze wrote:
Oh, and to Bezerko...
I reckon your favorite Nattefrost track is Blood & Vomit's track number 9?
If you give me your address, I can send you a cd-r so you can hear me take a piss too. That way you'll have another god to worship.

Nope, Nekronaut, Black Metal Suicide and Cunts, Sluts and Wankers. Funny that.

skyforestblaze wrote:
And by the way, your 5000+ post count does not impress me...

Should it, or is that just your insecurities showing?

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 pm 

blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
vashts80 wrote:
blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
skyforestblaze wrote:
If you people can't handle it if someone gives their unsalted opinion about your beloved bands, then you might as well quit the internet. Or start posting on a forum where all people have the same taste as you. I will conclude this in pure Darkthrone fashion: OFF AND DIE

black 'n roll. It's only another gay metal trend like deathcore. Leave it to the close-minded elite if they like it.

umm... isnt Black n' roll the same thing as Black/thrash? And black metal evolved from black thrash...

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:41 pm 

KingVold wrote:
umm... isnt Black n' roll the same thing as Black/thrash? And black metal evolved from black thrash...

No, and no (unless you mean "first wave black metal bands that were also thrash metal bands" by "black/thrash").
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:00 pm 

Kruel wrote:
KingVold wrote:

No, and no (unless you mean "first wave black metal bands that were also thrash metal bands" by "black/thrash").

Okay. Sorry for the confusion.
But yeah, I meant the first wave. Wikipedia (Which as we all know, is always right) calls it Black/Thrash (Although this ignores some bands like Mercyful Fate).

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:12 am 

Black/thrash is just a literal term for a mixture of black metal and thrash. Mercyful Fate were not black/thrash though they are generally thrown in with the first wave of "black metal" due to their influence on the genre's second wave. Euronymous was a Mercyful Fate worshipper for example.

"Black 'n' Roll" just refers to a "rocky" style of black metal, so something like "Now, Diabolical" off of the same album by Satyricon.

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:32 am 

The problem with Satyricon's "black n' roll" style of playing is that it gets old really fast, I couldn't even finish the album in one listen, I had to listen to it in parts.

skyforestblaze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:18 am 

vashts80 wrote:
Give me ONE fact that shows that Fenriz and Nocturno Culto care about the mainstream scene, and want to make money - and I'll concede.

Peaceville has re-released their albums so many times I lost count. If they realy are anti-moneymaking (with regards to their music), shouldn't they have done something against this? I mean, Peaceville surely didn't just release their material a zillion times without informing the band, right? Maybe Darkthrone are against the mainstream music scene, but they surely don't mind the attention they are getting within the metal scene, and I think the sales numbers of their albums are substantial. Maybe not Dimmu Borgir-like huge, but still.

And what about the childish publicity stunt they did when signing their 'life-time' contract with Moonfog Productions...in the woods! Do you realy think they didn't want people to know about that? Quit the contrary I think. Just more publicity for them and Moonfog/Satyricon, and a reason for scene-kids to worship them.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:35 am 

skyforestblaze wrote:
vashts80 wrote:
Give me ONE fact that shows that Fenriz and Nocturno Culto care about the mainstream scene, and want to make money - and I'll concede.

Peaceville has re-released their albums so many times I lost count. If they realy are anti-moneymaking (with regards to their music), shouldn't they have done something against this? I mean, Peaceville surely didn't just release their material a zillion times without informing the band, right? Maybe Darkthrone are against the mainstream music scene, but they surely don't mind the attention they are getting within the metal scene, and I think the sales numbers of their albums are substantial. Maybe not Dimmu Borgir-like huge, but still.

Soulside Journey - reissued in 2001 (more than likely the original press was close to being OOP) and then remastered in 2003 with the video interview.
ABITNS - Remastered in 2003 with video interview
UAFM - Reissued in 01, remastered in 03 with video interview
TH - Remastered in 03 with video interview
Preparing for War - Reissued in the box set in 05 with the bonus CD and DVD
Frostland Tapes - all 4 demos reissued on one disc.

See how that went? Only the first four albums, and then two compilations later on were reissued. OBVIOUSLY a cash grab by the band themselves, when they had just joined the label again after being off of it for close to 10 years. That's going to sell hundreds of thousands of records, man. They definitely did it for the money, and NOT the fact that maybe - just maybe - the original pressings of the albums were OOP?

I can also tell you right now that the sales of their albums are NOT substantial. Maybe a couple thousand per release, but really - do you think that they make any money off of those? They'd make more money if they went and toured Europe for 2 months, than those record sales. Get a clue about how the music business works, even with smaller labels like Peacevile.

Christ, how many times have Motorhead's albums been reissued? What a cashgrab by Lemmy and Co.~~!

Quote:
And what about the childish publicity stunt they did when signing their 'life-time' contract with Moonfog Productions...in the woods! Do you realy think they didn't want people to know about that? Quit the contrary I think. Just more publicity for them and Moonfog/Satyricon, and a reason for scene-kids to worship them.

Never heard about that, but where the fuck do you keep getting that they do things for so-called "scene-kids" to worship them? Have you ever thought that they themselves just thought it was funny, and that's why they did it? They're obviously friends with Satyricon, and they disliked the black metal stereotype, even back then iirc. So why not make fun of it? They're mocking people like you.

The ignorance shown is astounding.

skyforestblaze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:36 am 

vashts80 wrote:
They're mocking people like you.

Sure...Yeah, I'm realy having sleepless nights about Dorkthrone and Carfaggian Fuckfest doing 'funny' things with blackmetal. How come you didn't know about that deal-signing thing in the forest? It's one of the most well-knows stories in blackmetal...

Heh, 'maybe' I am just here to mock you and your forum-friends...think about that...

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:55 am 

skyforestblaze wrote:
vashts80 wrote:
They're mocking people like you.

Sure...Yeah, I'm realy having sleepless nights about Dorkthrone and Carfaggian Fuckfest doing 'funny' things with blackmetal. How come you didn't know about that deal-signing thing in the forest? It's one of the most well-knows stories in blackmetal...

I don't pay attention to that shit. The black metal "scene" doesn't really interest me. It's the music I'm after.

Nazg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:35 am 

Empyreal wrote:
but I'm pretty sure the origins of Black Metal sounded plenty punk/rock-ish itself.

This was my point regarding that "Black 'n Roll" thang. Thats were the Bathory question raised.

I have just a few words against your "arguments" and oh so great insults skyforestblaze: HAHAHAHAHA. And, could you answer my questions?

Editps. Ohmygosh. No having seen all posts in this topic, can't you really see the utter stupidness of your posts skyforestblaze? You sure seem very butthurt at least.

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:48 am 

If someone could please explain to me how Darkthrone's last few albums are commercial sell-outs (as skyforestblaze seems to be saying) I'd be much obliged. Listening to Darkthrones and Black Flags (which I love btw) I can hear nothing which would interest a trendy core kid, for a start its not dripping in superficial 'heavyness'.

blakkmetalmaniak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:51 am 

PlagueRages wrote:
If someone could please explain to me how Darkthrone's last few albums are commercial sell-outs (as skyforestblaze seems to be saying) I'd be much obliged. Listening to Darkthrones and Black Flags (which I love btw) I can hear nothing which would interest a trendy core kid, for a start its not dripping in superficial 'heavyness'.

It's sad that you don't hear it, but people hear what they want to hear and ignore what they don't want to hear.

skyforestblaze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:20 pm 

Nazg wrote:
And, could you answer my questions?

If your so-called 'questions' and other comments didn't include 'gangster-rapper' talk like: "Thang", "WACK", "nigga", and "DOPE"...maybe I would have answered. Just for the sake of making you 'happy'. But even if you aren't living in a ghetto, using these kind of words, even for 'fun', makes you inferior.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:20 pm 

Stop derailing this topic, the only thing you're accomplishing is making a complete ass out of yourself. In case you didn't know, nobody cares about "opinions" that are based on nothing.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:09 pm 

skyforestblaze wrote:
Nazg wrote:
And, could you answer my questions?

If your so-called 'questions' and other comments didn't include 'gangster-rapper' talk like: "Thang", "WACK", "nigga", and "DOPE"...maybe I would have answered. Just for the sake of making you 'happy'. But even if you aren't living in a ghetto, using these kind of words, even for 'fun', makes you inferior.

Dont be a dumbass.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next