Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:07 am 

rexxz wrote:
So how about that new Hibria?

Lol, this thread went off track with all the Running Wild love. After first listen I can say it's a pretty solid release in the same vein as DtR, a few more listens will give me better insight.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:10 am 

I'll take the blame for this one. I didn't actually start the whole going off track thing, but I made the mistake of bringing up Running Wild.

The new Hibria is pretty alright, I'm sure it'll grow upon repeated listens, but it just hasn't struck me like Defying the Rules did, despite it being fundamentally similar/identical.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:12 am 

I was a little iffy on the debut album.. It was enjoyable for the most part, but kind of got to me vocally. Hopefully they can release another solid album.

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:24 am 

I think "Reborn From the Ashes" is definitely one of my favorites tracks from the new album.

At first the chorus kind of killed me, but then later I couldn't get it out of my head. The diversity really works in this one too.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:40 pm 

Hmm, I don't know about this one. It's good and superior to a lot of the power metal out there (at least the modern stuff) but it isn't to the same standard as their debut.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:42 pm 

They said there would be contemporary influences, but I actually hear a greater dosage of 80s arena Heavy Metal on this one, especially in the solos.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:57 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
They said there would be contemporary influences, but I actually hear a greater dosage of 80s arena Heavy Metal on this one, especially in the solos.

Yeah, that was my first impression too. I was like "where's all this modern crap? This sounds more trad heavy metal than the debut". It remined me a bit more of Maiden than Gamma Ray (like its predecessor did) this time around.

The album did go in one ear and out the other though, rubbed me the wrong way at times, and I really only remember the chorus from Tiger Punch. But the album was better than expected, but at the same time, wasn't as good as hoped.

There seemed to be some recycled parts from the debut here and there (which annoyed me a bit).

I'll end up buying it any way though, and hopefully they'll get their shit together on their 3rd album. They somewhat fell prey to the sophomore jinx that seems to nail nearly every band, but this one was ok (and could have been a lot worse). At this juncture, I'd probably score it around a 65 to 75%, but it may improve with further listens (wackier things have happened).

[edit]oooh, 3000th post, finally, woo hoo :p[/edit]

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:05 pm 

This one's a bit of a grower; I find that the first five songs have already become more memorable with a few listens; "Rising from the Ashes" and "Screaming Ghost" especially. Still not near as good as the debut, but I like it. It goes down fast and easy.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:10 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
This one's a bit of a grower; I find that the first five songs have already become more memorable with a few listens; "Rising from the Ashes" and "Screaming Ghost" especially. Still not near as good as the debut, but I like it. It goes down fast and easy.

Yeah, It's growing on me more and more. I actually really like Devoted to Your Fear.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:04 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
Yeah, that was my first impression too. I was like "where's all this modern crap? This sounds more trad heavy metal than the debut".

Yeah, I think there's a semi-beatdown in there somewhere, but it doesn't really bother me.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:13 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
Yeah, that was my first impression too. I was like "where's all this modern crap? This sounds more trad heavy metal than the debut".

Yeah, I think there's a semi-beatdown in there somewhere, but it doesn't really bother me.

Damn, I never noticed that :lol: It must not have been that big of a deal. I'll have to give this album a few more plays later on (I'm not exactly in the mood for this style of music, atm).

sinoxy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:55 am 

I've listened to the skull collectors constantly since i have gotten it, at least every song on it about 7 times a day. It really does grow on you. You will notice a lot of amazing parts in every song, and it keeps getting better. The solo in devoted to your fear is magnificent.

Keep listening. It is definitely as good as defying the rules, just takes a few listens because this cd is not what we expected, but just as good as we hoped for.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:42 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
That cover is gay. The album name is gay. I know the music won't be gay.

EDIT: Tiger Punch is kind of gay. The music isn't very interesting. Or maybe I just don't give a shit about Hibria anymore.

By "gay"do you mean "happy"?
Or do you mean "homosexual"?
You probably mean that other word... cheesy
Are you seriously out of suitable adjectives to use...ones that convey what you actually mean

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:45 pm 

"Defying The Rules" is one hell of an album...and I feel very strongly about Hibria. I regard them as serious musicians and I can't wait to check out "The Skull Collectors". Enough said!

ThrashTilDeath3
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:57 pm 

Defying The Rules was unbelievable. I cannot wait for this album. I have a feeling it's going to absolutely dominate.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3