Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Khroshan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:09 am 

I was wondering, what exactly is war metal? What characterizes it? Who were its originators? Which are the best war metal bands out there?

In order to get this thread started, I present a couple of old Wikipedia articles regarding war metal. The first article identifies it as referring to a Canadian variant of black metal, while the other identifies it as being an Australian style.

Quote:
War Metal is a black metal offshoot sub-genre that, since the release of a now infamous split between the bands Black Witchery and Conqueror, has been used to describe a certain sound; although the title was first coined by Bestial Warlust on their 1994 debut Vengeance War 'Till Death (wherein they describe themselves as Satanic War Metal). The style picks out a unique mixture of black metal, death metal, and grindcore. The prime aesthetic of war metal is to present an audial image of war, using buzzsaw guitars, brutal blasting drums, and screeched vocals reminescent of a war command. Musically, the dubious sub-genre differs much from most other metal stylings, as the guitar riffing is intended more to present a noisy brutal ambience (often there will not be any 'real' riffing).

Lyrically, war metal bands almost always leans towards Satanic or anti-Christian ideals, and without fail always refer to war; with topics including genocide, nuclear warfare, holocaust, death, ending humanity and/or life, tanks, and related topics. The visual aesthetics are similar.

Many prefer not to use the genre name because they consider it superfluous; many war metal bands can be considered blackened death metal. Moreover, it is contended that it is a very minimalistic and non-expansive style, and given the small amount of bands that play it, it ought not have its own distinct genre-name. Still, others consider it as relevant a sub-genre of Black Metal as NSBM or viking metal, and there is no doubt that many of the bands indeed separate themselves from broader black metal as such.

Origins

Although the phrase was coined by Bestial Warlust, most look towards Blasphemy and Sarcofago as the roots of the sub-genre. The latter is considered proto-war metal, or a step into the direction; they themselves played an early form of blackened death metal. Blasphemy, however, was the first to play it as it is known today. They dubbed themselves Black Metal Skinheads, opting for a more warlike image than the corpsepainted black metal bands of their age. Blasphemy also wrote music in the stylings as described above, and their 1990 debut album Fallen Angel of Doom is to war metal as Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is to black metal.

It's difficult to write about war metal and not mention Conqueror. Drummer James Read's vision of the subgenre, inspired heavily by Blasphemy, has done much to elevate it to a status where it would be considered a subgenre to begin with. The band, whom he formed with Ryan Forster (currently playing in Blasphemy), played a strict style of abrasive grinding extreme metal. Conqueror is renowned for Read's insanely brutal and over-the-top drumming style. Conqueror's split with Black Witchery, titled Hellstorm of Evil Vengeance, was released in 2000 and is often considered to be the landmark point where war metal became a household term for underground metallers. James Read (also known as J. Read) currently plays in Revenge with Pete Helmkamp from Angelcorpse, playing with similar convictions and views.

War metal is often associated with Canada because of native bands Blasphemy and Conqueror, and many others that have originated within.

Bands
Abominator
Angelcorpse
Axis of Advance
Bestial Warlust
Black Witchery
Blasphemy
Capra Hircus
Cobalt
Conqueror
Dawn of Azazel
Deströyer 666
Domini Inferi
Goat Semen
Lust (Can)
Ouroboros (Can)
Revenge (Can)
Rites of Thy Degringolade
Sarcofago

Quote:
Australian Warmetal is a subgenre of Heavy metal music particular to Australia. Not to be confused with the War metal music performed by British band Bolt Thrower, who employ cartoonish warfare imagery, and are sonically very different. Parallels are frequently drawn to between Australian Warmetal and Norwegian Black Metal. Australian Warmetal takes it's fantasy imigary from Teutonic, Scandinavian and Anglo-Saxon mythology, and combines it with satanic overtones and most importantly a particularly Australian sense of humour.

The style is characterized by a fusion of death metal style drumming, with 1980's thrash-style guitar and bass riffs, particularly influenced by German thrash bands such as Sodom and Destruction, and also influenced by American thrash band Slayer.

The originators of the genre were the Melbourne band Bestial Warlust with the demo ‘Descension Of A Darker Deity’ (1992.) "The Warsluts" were influenced by the Virgin Metal bands Hobbs Angel Of Death and Hatred.

The most famous Australian Warmetal band are Destroyer666, who relocated to The Netherlands. Other exponents of Australian Warmetal include Gospel Of The Horns, Abominator & Vomitor.

Another also identifies War Metal with the British band Bolt Thrower:

Quote:
War metal is a subgenre of death metal pioneered by British band Bolt Thrower, who employ cartoonish warfare imagery.

Other articles also describe the early work of Beherit as war metal.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:13 am 

Not to hijack your topic, but along with this sort of genre name, what the heck is "Pagan Metal?" I get it, Pagan themed music that usually is black metal, but is it necessary to make such genre names like "war metal" and "pagan metal?"

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:13 am 

There was a topic about a month or two ago under war metal. Check it out.

Khroshan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:19 am 

Funeral_Shadow wrote:
Not to hijack your topic, but along with this sort of genre name, what the heck is "Pagan Metal?" I get it, Pagan themed music that usually is black metal, but is it necessary to make such genre names like "war metal" and "pagan metal?"

Pagan metal is black metal with a nature themed sound to it - for example, Marblebog, early Drudkh and Wyrd.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 am 

Aesthetic genre labels are fucking retarded.

That is all.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:24 am 

BastardHead wrote:

Thank you! Point made.

We may as well have "Pharaoh Metal" for ancient Egyptian themed power metal and whatnot.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:27 am 

I think it was the day I heard Korpiklaani and Tankard described as "beer metal" that I totally lost my rocker. Viking, war, pagan, pirate, all of these aesthetic terms say jack shit about the music, and a band's genre should never be defined strictly by the lyrical themes. Bolt Thrower is death metal, not war metal, Ensiferum is power/folk, not viking, I could go on forever.

Sorry, these tags just really piss me off.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:33 am 

Genres are how it's played, not what's it's about. You can't play war through your instruments.. can you?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:35 am 

MaliciousAwesome wrote:
Genres are how it's played, not what's it's about. You can't play war through your instruments.. can you?

AS A MATTER OF FACT, YOU CAN. YES YOU CAN.

Khroshan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36 am 

I dont see anything wrong with such labels as long as there are sonic differences, not just thematic ones. For example, the droning guitars of pagan black metal can be easily identified.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:39 am 

Khroshan wrote:
I dont see anything wrong with such labels as long as there are sonic differences, not just thematic ones. For example, the droning guitars of pagan black metal can be easily identified.

Unfortunately, people seem to take the aesthetic tag as an absolute. I don't know what I'll do if I hear another person bitch about how Ensiferum's debut doesn't sound like Hammerheart, and therefore isn't viking metal.

YOU MEAN A POWER/FOLK METAL ALBUM DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A BLACK METAL ALBUM?! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Atheist_Hero
Contributing Important Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:42 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I think it was the day I heard Korpiklaani and Tankard described as "beer metal" that I totally lost my rocker. Viking, war, pagan, pirate, all of these aesthetic terms say jack shit about the music, and a band's genre should never be defined strictly by the lyrical themes. Bolt Thrower is death metal, not war metal, Ensiferum is power/folk, not viking, I could go on forever.

I agree except for pirate metal. Most of it (the good stuff) has a completely different sound from regular Melodic Death, not just lyrical content.

Compare Alestorm to Kalmah.

Atheist_Hero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:43 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
MaliciousAwesome wrote:

AS A MATTER OF FACT, YOU CAN. YES YOU CAN.

Broken Caps Lock?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:44 am 

Atheist_Hero wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I agree except for pirate metal. Most of it (the good stuff) has a completely different sound from regular Melodic Death, not just lyrical content.

HAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAA. I can't even retort. :lol:

Fucking moron.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:47 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Fucking moron.

Bit harsh...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Fucking moron.

Bit harsh...

Pirate metal.

Alestorm.

Kalmah.

Do I need to reiterate his retardation? I have a low tolerance for that kind of crap.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:49 am 

Atheist_Hero wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Each band will not sound like an exact carbon copy. So comparing cannot therefore conclude that "pirate metal" is a legitimate genre. Alestorm might play melo-death style metal, but what about another band who uses the pirate metal label? They could play something like blackened death metal style metal and put themselves off as "pirate metal."

It's all just a big market scheme in metal to made genres like that. Bands slab a "style" to their sound to individualize themselves from all other similar sounding bands, and people end up taking it seriously. Let's be honest, do you believe in "love metal" for example?

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:57 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Khroshan wrote:

Unfortunately, people seem to take the aesthetic tag as an absolute. I don't know what I'll do if I hear another person bitch about how Ensiferum's debut doesn't sound like Hammerheart, and therefore isn't viking metal.

YOU MEAN A POWER/FOLK METAL ALBUM DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A BLACK METAL ALBUM?! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

You clearly are somewhat confused on the origins of Viking Metal if you think it's a purely aesthetic label. Bands like Helheim and Enslaved played harsh Norse styled black metal mixed with epic folkish elements to actually create a Viking-centric atmosphere, it was far from a mere aesthetic preference.

The other I agree with. War Metal I guess I'm still undecided on.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:59 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Fucking moron.

Bit harsh...

Pirate metal.

Alestorm.

Kalmah.

Do I need to reiterate his retardation? I have a low tolerance for that kind of crap.

Well yeah, his statement was amazingly stupid. I can't argue about that.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:04 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Bands like Helheim and Enslaved played harsh Norse styled black metal mixed with epic folkish elements to actually create a Viking-centric atmosphere, it was far from a mere aesthetic preference.

You could say this with any band that slaps an aesthetic tag on themselves. The fact of the matter is that I get irrationally worked up when people start using lyrical themes as a defining factor. I know you just said that those bands did far more than just sing about vikings, but you can't say that Alestorm doesn't blend over the top symphonic power metal with a heavy use of accordion and other keyboard patches to create a pirate atmosphere. Does that make pirate metal a legitimate genre? Not to me.

I know I shouldn't be talking in absolutes, but this is the one thing that gets under my skin. Not a shot at you or anything.

Thy_Olde
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:08 am 

War metal is ok at times, but for the most part it ALL sounds the same like if someone played Sunn O))) for 6 hours straight. That being said 'Rites of Thy Degringolade' were by far the most talented and varied of the lot, too bad they broke up. Paulus plays in Warmarch and Weapon which are both good..............BUT nowhere near the originality and genius of Rites.

Dana White
Season 7 TUF

Atheist_Hero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:09 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Fucking moron.

Bit harsh...

Pirate metal.

Alestorm.

Kalmah.

Are you completely retarded, my point was HOW DIFFERENT THEY ARE.

Comparing Melodic Death to Pirate Metal. So that you can see that Pirate Metal can be considered it's own genre.

I have a low tolerance for idiots like you.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:09 am 

BastardHead wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
Bands like Helheim and Enslaved played harsh Norse styled black metal mixed with epic folkish elements to actually create a Viking-centric atmosphere, it was far from a mere aesthetic preference.

You could say this with any band that slaps an aesthetic tag on themselves. The fact of the matter is that I get irrationally worked up when people start using lyrical themes as a defining factor. I know you just said that those bands did far more than just sing about vikings, but you can't say that Alestorm doesn't blend over the top symphonic power metal with a heavy use of accordion and other keyboard patches to create a pirate atmosphere. Does that make pirate metal a legitimate genre? Not to me.

I know I shouldn't be talking in absolutes, but this is the one thing that gets under my skin. Not a shot at you or anything.

I haven't seen enough true pirate atmosphere in either Alestorm's or Running Wild's music to call it such.

The other thing about Viking Metal is that this atmosphere wasn't achieved by those bands' purely technical attributes, but rather the themes that went along with them. The hateful, violent, but also deeply prideful nature of the music helped construct this atmosphere I'm referring to.

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:10 am 

MaliciousAwesome wrote:

As a matter of fact, it goes something like this...

WAR, UGH... WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:11 am 

Atheist_Hero wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Fucking moron.

Bit harsh...

Pirate metal.

Alestorm.

Kalmah.

Are you completely retarded, my point was HOW DIFFERENT THEY ARE.

Comparing Melodic Death to Pirate Metal. So that you can see that Pirate Metal can be considered it's own genre.

I have a low tolerance for idiots like you.

Compare symphonic power metal to this pirate metal you speak of. Alestorm is not fucking pirate metal, and comparing a power metal album to a melodic death album to make a point is fundamentally retarded. I guess I can validate something ridiculous like zombie metal because Cannibal Corpse doesn't sound anything like Timeless Miracle. Don't be stupid.

Thy_Olde
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:12 am 

Get back on topic!!!!! Start a 'Viking metal or 'Pirate metal' thread on your own....Hijacking someone elses thread to talk about what ever YOU feel like is well................GAY.

Dana White
Season 7 TUF

Atheist_Hero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:15 am 

Thy_Olde wrote:
Get back on topic!!!!! Start a 'Viking metal or 'Pirate metal' thread on your own....Hijacking someone elses thread to talk about what ever YOU feel like is well................GAY.

Nazi

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:15 am 

Alrighty, back to "war metal". We can continue to duke it out via pms if you don't want to drop it, Atheist_Hero.

Atheist_Hero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:18 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Alrighty, back to "war metal". We can continue to duke it out via pms if you don't want to drop it, Atheist_Hero.

I just think you took what I intially said the wrong way.

Thy_Olde
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:22 am 

War metal is dead.......as dead as Black metal.

Dana White
Season 7 TUF

Atheist_Hero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:25 am 

Thy_Olde wrote:
as dead as Black metal.

Get back on topic!!!!! Start a 'Black metal' thread on your own....Hijacking someone elses thread to talk about what ever YOU feel like is well................GAY.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:29 am 

BastardHead wrote:

Um, so I guess you have a big problem with death metal, black metal, symphonic metal, gothic metal, industrial metal, heavy metal, doom metal and most other types of metal.

Think about it.

And there was a war metal topic a couple of months ago. People lost their shit in that thread too. Personally, I think it sounds like a cool idea but I don't think there is enough of a following or enough of a defined sound to really give it it's own genre.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:30 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
Um, so I guess you have a big problem with death metal, black metal, symphonic metal, gothic metal, industrial metal, heavy metal, doom metal and most other types of metal.

Think about it.

Not necessarily, as all of the "legitimate" forms of metal are defined by a musical styling as opposed to just a theme. I promised I'd stop though, so I'll drop it here.

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:35 am 

It's 98% posers

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:10 am 

this is war!
ugh WOW!!!

i'd say it's on the same ground as tankard being beer metal or running wild being pirate metal then a legitimate genre.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:11 am 

BastardHead wrote:

That is all.

The thread really should have ended with this.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:50 am 

Nice thread here, I thought I'd share some stuff because people tend to get misinformed on this topic. I'd agree with most of the things on that wikipedia article, except for the utterly wrong claim about Bolt Thrower at the end.

*** For those who don't have the patience to read through, scroll down for the summary ***

First of all, War Metal is not a specific style or genre in Metal, it's just extreme Black Metal with a lot of old school Death Metal and Grind influences. Bands that had been labeled lately as War Metal due to the grinding Black/Death Metal style and to the use of satanic, apocalyptic war themes are majorly bands that are influenced by some Canadian old school Black/Death such as Blasphemy and Conqueror, and some old school Thrash/Death such as early Sepultura, Sarcófago, Slaughter (Can), Holocausto (Bra), Chakal, Necrovore, and a few other pioneers in this school such as Beherit and Archgoat and many other old school Death Metal and Grind bands. Nowadays, few bands play true music in the War Metal vein. They're basically bands that play Extreme Metal with a destructive, ritualistic and satanic feeling, very harsh sound and production, extreme drumming, downtuned guitars, mid-low pitched vocals, with no keyboards or any sort of melodic element.

The influences of War Metal are many, but it would be good to appreciate some history of the subgenre. Most often, bands who play War Metal are influenced by Destruction's early demos, Sarcófago's demos and "INRI", Sodom's "In the Sign of Evil" and "Obsessed by Cruelty", Sepultura's "Bestial Devastation" and "Morbid Visions", Deicide's "Amon: Feasting the Beast", Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness", Slayer's "Show No Mercy" and "Haunting the Chapel", Slaughter's (Can) "Fuck of Death", Blasphemy's "Fallen Angel of Doom" and "Gods of War", Beherit's "Oath of the Black Blood", Bestial Warlust's "Vengeance War Till Death", Bathory's self-titled, Possessed's "Seven Churches", Hellhammer's "Satanic Rites", Abhorer's "Rumpus of the Undead ", Incantation's "Onward to Golgotha", Mystifier's "Wicca", Sextrash's "Sexual Carnage", and a few more of the cult releases that represent lyrical and musical influences. Most of the bands that play War Metal have played these primitive styles in a more extreme way adding grinding riffs and blast beats.

As for the Grind riffing influences: Carcass's "Reek of Putrefaction", Repulsion's "Horrified", some material from the Agathocles albums, as well Master's (US) early works, Nuclear Death (US), etc...

Adding some bands to the list from the first post that play or have played music in the War Metal vein today:
Impiety (Sgp) on their 4 latest albums, Corpse Molestation (pre-Bestial Warlust), Order from Chaos, Anal Vomit and Goat Semen (both from Peru), Blood Vengeance, some Nunslaughter, Destruktor and Sadistik Exekution (both from Australia), Thornspawn, Morbosidad, Grave Miasma, Hacavitz, Embalmed (Mex), Allfather, and a few more that you can find by yourself...

(Many thanks to Damaar for sharing this information with us)

*** Summary: War Metal can be quickly described as Black Metal with old school Death Metal and Grind influences, heavy downtuned guitars and usually rough production, most often played at pretty high tempos. Some countries with a good deal of bands who play War Metal: Australia, Canada, Finland, South American countries (Brazil, Mexico, Peru) and some Asian countries as well (Singapore).

I find War Metal fun to listen to when it's executed correctly, however too much of it can get you bored quickly. Then again, too much of anything gets you bored too. One thing's certain though, it's not very ear/listener friendly :)

Bands I would most certainly recommend for those who want to discover more about this so-called subgenre:
Archgoat (most of the old stuff, I've also enjoyed their 2006 album)
Axis of Advance (2004 album)
Beherit ("The Oath of Black Blood" and older stuff)
Bestial Warlust
Blasphemy ("Fallen Angel of Doom" and "Gods of War")
Conqueror (similar to Revenge really)
Damaar (pretty bestial assault in their demo, very good band in the genre and recommended)
Destruktor
Sadistik Exekution
Revenge (Can) (prime example of War Metal, although their latest album is a bit hard to get into, probably because of the very rough production, but I would recommend their first album which is good)

You can work your way through from these bands if you want to explore more. You may also check out the bands listed in the first post of this thread, however I wouldn't put all of them under this subgenre.

Nyaricus wrote:
I don't think there is enough of a following or enough of a defined sound to really give it it's own genre.

Well there is obviously not enough appreciation. It does have a distinct sound as I explained before, but like I said few bands actually play some War Metal nowadays, and I have to admit it's not an easy subgenre to get into. But it's there. :)

Last edited by kingnuuuur on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:01 am 

I wouldn't exactly call Thornspawn war metal. Also in regards to the wikipedia article, I'd never call Destroyer 666 war metal either.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:10 am 

DaBuddha wrote:
I wouldn't exactly call Thornspawn war metal. Also in regards to the wikipedia article, I'd never call Destroyer 666 war metal either.

Yes, I also disagree with Destroyer 666 being put as War Metal.
Thornspawn have a War Metal feel to their album Wrath of War (2002).

But hey, it's 5am and i'm fuckin tired after that long ass post.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:36 am 

D666 do not play the war metal style at all except on Violence is the Prince of this World (and the demo before that I guess). Unchain the Wolves isn't too far removed from the style but it's far too thrashy for the style and the melody is pretty much an instant disqualification. :D

Sadistik Exekution would also be a (very large) stretch. Perhaps on Suspiral and a couple of other songs but for the most part, Sadistik Exekution are very unique in their sound. As for this comment > "Conqueror (similar to Revenge really) "

Na, really? Conqueror members only went on to form Revenge after Conqueror split up, but whatever. :P

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next