Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DerickVonDerickson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:58 pm 

Well, since I made the "Metalheads in the US" topic, after seeing how many replies I got, I figured I'd create this topic about the metal scene in other countries. I heard, that metal is big in Brazil. I saw a documentary entitled "Global Metal" and they showed a mall in Brazil that was devoted to heavy metal.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:14 pm 

The metal scene in Sweden isn't at all as vibrant and glamorous as people seem to believe it is. The more well-known Swedish bands that are even worth caring about nowadays don't play very much at all within our country, and it's hard to get to shows by more underground bands.

Where I live we have close to zero venues where bands can play, and the ones that exist pretty much suck, consisting of a room with really bad air and the smallest stage you can imagine. All of the bands that play there also pretty much suck cock, and only a few of them even aim to be metal (and most of these turn out -core anyway). There are close to no shows here. I have seen like 2 metal shows close to where I live ever. If you go to Stockholm or Gothenburg there are probably more shows, but going there just for a concert is a pain in the ass.

As to the amount of real metalheads, I can safely say that I know pretty much all of the ones living in my town at least by name and appearance. On top of that, there is also a fuckload of scene kids, but I don't even give a shit about them to begin with, so I know the name and face of something like 2 or 3.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:35 pm 

The Bene(lux) is a pretty good region for a metalhead. I have seen some very memorable gigs in 2008 and all of them were either in Belgium or the Netherlands with some exceptions. Most the times lots of people come to gigs here as well, like when Skepticism, Pantheist and Cantar - all three doom bands - played here in a chapel in some remote village, the gig was completely sold out. As a metalhead this is a really great place to live. Also, we are pretty centrally located, so when you want to attend bigger festivals they are all not that far away. Like Graspop, Wacken, Hellfest, Roadburn, ... . If you have a bit of broad taste in metal you can attend gigs here every week (real metal, no core).

Also, I've got a feeling that the whole deathcore hype is barely visible here, it seems to be big in the US and Australia, but I don't really see it here. Metalcore is pretty well-known here, though. Maybe I'm just too alienated to have ever noticed it, but whenever I'm attending gigs (admitted mostly doom or black), I rarely see any -core types of some sort. I rarely go to bigger gigs, so that may explain it. Like this weekend I'm seeing Ataraxie, think it's pretty safe to say that all you will see are dedicated, genuine undergroud supporters, which is cool. No core kiddies to be found.

Last edited by Weerwolf on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:37 pm 

Unholy_Asar, where in Sweden do you live?

LunarTower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:47 pm 

Weerwolf wrote:
The Bene(lux) is a pretty good region for a metalhead. I have seen some very memorable gigs in 2008 and all of them were either in Belgium or the Netherlands with some exceptions. Most the times lots of people come to gigs here as well, like when Skepticism, Pantheist and Cantar - all three doom bands - played here in a chapel in some remote village, the gig was completely sold out. As a metalhead this is a really great place to live. Also, we are pretty centrally located, so when you want to attend bigger festivals they are all not that far away. Like Graspop, Wacken, Hellfest, Roadburn, ... . If you have a bit of broad taste in metal you can attend gigs here every week (real metal, no core).

It's really too bad one could learn Dutch and still have no clue what the fuck Flem's are saying though. I mean, it's almost like Belgium has it's own language! (Yeah, I know, as an American I shouldn't talk, but I actually do come from English stock, so...) Belgium is on my list of West European countries to visit by age 30 though. I'll probably spend a couple days there before plowing on to Netherlands for herbal remedies.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:54 pm 

Napero wrote:
Unholy_Asar, where in Sweden do you live?

The eastern coast by the baltic sea. Quite a while south of Stockholm, but still not that close to Gothenburg. It's quite a while by train to go to either place, and then you sometimes need to wait there until the next morning or something like that to get home if the concert runs late.

I got to see Lord Belial play in the neighbouring town though. That was quite nice.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:14 pm 

LunarTower wrote:
Weerwolf wrote:

It's really too bad one could learn Dutch and still have no clue what the fuck Flem's are saying though. I mean, it's almost like Belgium has it's own language! (Yeah, I know, as an American I shouldn't talk, but I actually do come from English stock, so...) Belgium is on my list of West European countries to visit by age 30 though. I'll probably spend a couple days there before plowing on to Netherlands for herbal remedies.

You should visit Bruges, best flemish city ;) - But it's true that we speak rather differently than the dutch and if I wouldn't adjust myself to speak very 'clean' dutch, you'd probably understand shit of it. But a lot of Flemings don't understand a thing of what we say either, so it's no shame. :p When a Western-Fleming speaks on national TV, it will be subtitled.

Scrabsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:04 pm 

Well, I don't know any other metalheads here in Manchester, everyone who claims to be a metalhead is into Bullet for my Valentine and Slipknot and that kinda crap, as for the local bands, all anyone plays is generic metalcore though there's the odd metalcore band without breakdowns. But then, of course I only really have contact with people my own age, (excluding my parents and college tutors.) From what I can tell a lot of metalheads tend to be older and have been into this kind of music for years.

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:30 pm 

Metal scene in Romania = 0. No good bands, one festival once in a while (yes I barely like some parts of some Negura Bunget), and not so many metalheads and metal bars compared to other countries of course.
Metal scene in Canada is non existent as well. I lived in all 3 major cities and here's how it goes. Metal scene in Montreal>Toronto>Vancouver. I hear Calgary is pretty decent but I don't want to move there because I don't like rednecks (no offence to non-rednecks who live there).

I don't know if anyone cares about my next opinion but I've found metal heads here dumber than the metal friends I had back in Romania. As in here, they are just people who happen to listen to metal. There they were having a better background and similar tastes other than just music. I don't intend to sound Eurocentric but here in Canada is more like "Hellz yeah Slayorz" while they go and play hokey or something.
I am also not counting the massive metalcore/nu-metal scene and it's devouted followers that I never experienced in my homeland.

Shallow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:35 pm 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
The metal scene in Sweden isn't at all as vibrant and glamorous as people seem to believe it is. The more well-known Swedish bands that are even worth caring about nowadays don't play very much at all within our country, and it's hard to get to shows by more underground bands.

Where I live we have close to zero venues where bands can play, and the ones that exist pretty much suck, consisting of a room with really bad air and the smallest stage you can imagine. All of the bands that play there also pretty much suck cock, and only a few of them even aim to be metal (and most of these turn out -core anyway). There are close to no shows here. I have seen like 2 metal shows close to where I live ever. If you go to Stockholm or Gothenburg there are probably more shows, but going there just for a concert is a pain in the ass.

As to the amount of real metalheads, I can safely say that I know pretty much all of the ones living in my town at least by name and appearance. On top of that, there is also a fuckload of scene kids, but I don't even give a shit about them to begin with, so I know the name and face of something like 2 or 3.

The metal scene where I live is as good as I could hope for. I live in Västerås. Had Vader playing here a few weeks back, along with Grave and two more support bands (Zonaria and.. some awful black metal band). I saw Bombs of Hades and Hate.. (Oh lord the name escapes me, Hate ----). They both put on an amazing show, on par (if not better) than Grave.

There's not a scene where death metal is the 'mainstream' as some seem to believe, but moving from England to here is a big change. I lived in north western England and in my two years of living there I didn't find a single death or black metal fan. Metalcore was there, along with grunge (Pantera mainly), but damn, for metal NW England is awful.

I love Sweden.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:35 pm 

I don't know really... We have the greatest underground shop for (mostly black though) metal here in Stockholm, called Repulsive. Love that little place. Of course it got the mainstream stuff too, to make some cash, but they also got the real deal and go for quality releases.

Recently there was another place which opened up called Black Hole which isn't as niched as Repulsive, but still into extreme metal aswell as being a café only serving black coffee or something like that. :D

As for metalheads, either they're mainstream, into some good stuff and a lot of meh stuff, the deppressive/orthodox black metal fan, or old school death metal heads with some deviant adventures into black, thrash and classic heavy metal. Atleast in the younger generations, which I belong and socialize with. Those are the most common anyway. Then there's people like me who's weird and listen to a lot of stuff (only quality though!).

Anyway, it's not like there's huge congregations of metalheads anywhere though, except at some gigs where there's always a couple familiar faces here in Stockholm.

There's a lot great new school of the old school death bands up and coming, like Lamentations, Invidious (previously known as Katalysator), Mortau, Eviscerated, Degial and Gravehammer. And then there's heavy metal acts like In Solitude and Portrait too... Well, I'm relatively content atleast. The two latter are really great Mercyful Fate-worship too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpBP_4UmlYs

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:08 pm 

gigel2006 wrote:
Metal scene in Romania = 0. No good bands, one festival once in a while (yes I barely like some parts of some Negura Bunget), and not so many metalheads and metal bars compared to other countries of course.
Metal scene in Canada is non existent as well. I lived in all 3 major cities and here's how it goes. Metal scene in Montreal>Toronto>Vancouver. I hear Calgary is pretty decent but I don't want to move there because I don't like rednecks (no offence to non-rednecks who live there).

I don't know if anyone cares about my next opinion but I've found metal heads here dumber than the metal friends I had back in Romania. As in here, they are just people who happen to listen to metal. There they were having a better background and similar tastes other than just music. I don't intend to sound Eurocentric but here in Canada is more like "Hellz yeah Slayorz" while they go and play hokey or something.
I am also not counting the massive metalcore/nu-metal scene and it's devouted followers that I never experienced in my homeland.

I agree about your second part of your post for Canada. I live in Montreal and even though the scene is pretty "big" it's all about "HELLZ YEAH METALZ AND BOOZE" and most people my age (around 18 or so) seem to completely fail. A lot of people love BM yet they're the biggest frickin' sheep I've ever seen. The fans of folk want to be vikings, drink beer and create their own European sounding band. The death metal heads are generally all about beer and simply br00tality. Then there's the progsters and power metalheads where it's just about how many notes you can fit into one second and the polyrythmns you can do.
I'm happy we're a few doom metal heads... jeez I hate most metalheads here. And don't get me started on the core kids...

One of the really interesting things though is that here in Montreal, the scene is very divided between languages. I go to an english school now and I'm in the radio that's full of metalheads. None of them really hang out with any french metalheads. When you get into the french side it's the same thing. There is SOME hate but not that much and it's not like language is a huge barrier. Most people that listen to metal that I know can speak both languages. They'll still have an accent but they can speak the other language.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:52 pm 

At least here in Perth apparently every classic metal band ever has been coming through over the last couple of years (although Saxon skipped us :(). I've only got to see Priest and Maiden, as I couldn't make it to Sabbath or Motorhead sadly. Apart from that people talk about metal as Disturbed, Slipknot and DragonFarce, who all toured here recently. Plus we have megatons of the usual screamo/metalcore rubbish. I'm actually turning into far more of a 'true' metal fan than all my friends who've been into it since high school.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:08 am 

Jarnroth wrote:
I don't know really... We have the greatest underground shop for (mostly black though) metal here in Stockholm, called Repulsive. Love that little place. Of course it got the mainstream stuff too, to make some cash, but they also got the real deal and go for quality releases.

This place is great and I try and visit it at least once every time I'm near Stockholm to pick up some albums. Their second-hand albums part is a pure gold mine. You sometimes find real quality releases for really cheap prices (as well as a fuckload of total shit, but that's something else).

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:22 am 

ENKC wrote:
Plus we have megatons of the usual screamo/metalcore rubbish.

Lol, i love the Perth screamo/powerviolence bands! Extortion and all Extortion related projects! They seem to have a finger in every pie, as well as Maximum Perversion members!

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 am 

Here, it depends on which area you live in. There's no such thing as metal in the rural areas (aprox. 60% of pakistan) but there are decent metal scenes in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad. Islamabad had the best scene, but most bands have disbanded. Karachi's scene is more popular even though the music isn't as good as Lahore's.

Some psuedo-metal bands have gotten airplay on the local TV channels. Faraz Anwar of Mizraab (and formerly of the prog/death metal band Dusk) is recognized as Pakistan's most famous guitarist.

2004 was the peak, though. Dusk were touring with the likes of Sapremia in the Czech Republic, Corpsepyre supposedly had a record deal going for them. 2006 was good too, Soul Vomit were asked to open for Morbid Angel at a (cancelled) gig in Singapore, Orion won a local "battle of the bands" competition, beating a bunch of pop rock bands. (which means a lot, actually)

A lot of the educated youth are into metal, but most of them don't venture beyond Metallica and Iron Maiden. There are a lot of pakistani metalheads on orkut and facebook, just look at the throngs of "Pakistan metal" groups and communities there. There's a metal radio show too, and it comes on FM89, the country's biggest radio station. I guess that's a good thing. The RJ is a fag, but last week he blew us all by (finally) playing bands like Guttural Secrete and Devourment. Usually he plays Power and Melodeath...

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 am 

as I always said in my reviews for the Italian albums, the scene is crappy. There are a lot of black and death metal bands but they remain on the underground despite being quite good sometimes. The old bands are now quite well-established but they mostly play in Italy and just few times abroad.

Unfortunately there is the will to copy abroad groups in style and genre and often the ones that come out from the underground are just "replicants" of abroad music. So often our old school groups are now considered "cults" just because now their LP cost a lot but at the time nobody knew them. It's a shame.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:45 am 

I can't really call for my whole country, but the Metal scene, in and around my region, is pretty good. I live about 4 hours from Victoria and Vancouver, where most of the bigger bands and shows are. A trip to one of these for me costs about 250-300 minimum, if I stick to essentials. Sure, I can't recall too many bands that come out of Victoria and Vancouver, but we do get a lot of great bands here. Sometimes, people here will even make a trip down to Seattle from here, which is I believe, 9 hours of driving? Something like that. Anyways, overall, the region around me is good for metal.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:02 am 

The Australian scene is a little weak, in my opinion. One problem is that there is not enough promotion. This could be why The Berzerker and Devolved have relocated overseas, so that they can develop further than playing in an isolated country. There is definitely more opportunity outside the country.

As for where I live, OlioTheSmall is the only other poster within nuclear bomb range. There are not a lot of metalheads around here, but they do exist, as I saw a guy wearing a Mayhem shirt at JB Hi-Fi a few days ago. I commented on it, but he seemed a little stand-offish, so I didn't pursue the matter. :P The most I've seen are people wearing Metallica or Judas Priest shirts, or other bands with high success. On the odd occasion I've seen people wearing an All Shall Perish, Fear Factory, or some band shirt like that. I've seen more, but they've escaped my memory at the moment.

A quick search shows there are 1133 Aussie bands. Apart from the lucky ones such as Psycroptic, The Amenta, Destroyer 666, Portal, and some others, most Australian band won't get the promotion they need to make it. One blight with living in this country, you could say.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:49 am 

Somehow it never occurred to me that Psycroptic was from Australia, much less Tasmania. Here I was thinking how unfortunate the folks in Tassie must be compared to those of us on the mainland. Which part of the country do you hail from Mikey?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:55 am 

ENKC wrote:
Somehow it never occurred to me that Psycroptic was from Australia, much less Tasmania. Here I was thinking how unfortunate the folks in Tassie must be compared to those of us on the mainland. Which part of the country do you hail from Mikey?

Yeah, they have Psycroptic. Not bad for an isolated state in an isolated country, I must say.

I hail from Warilla, which is just south of Wollongong in NSW. Not much here. If you look up bands by location and type Wollongong, there's about 12 of them or so, so I guess it's not bad for this area.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:05 am 

No scene here at all. A dozen or so good bands on one hand; tons and tons of brainless sheep-like scum on the other hand. In Moscow, it's particularly hard to find a real metalhead. St. Petersburg is a bit better in this aspect.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:37 am 

MikeyC wrote:
ENKC wrote:

Yeah, they have Psycroptic. Not bad for an isolated state in an isolated country, I must say.

I hail from Warilla, which is just south of Wollongong in NSW. Not much here. If you look up bands by location and type Wollongong, there's about 12 of them or so, so I guess it's not bad for this area.

As far as Tassie goes in size and population, i think they have a healthy enough music scene. While there may not be too many acts with international recognition, they do seem to produce their fair share of heavy bands, moreso than what a lot of other states outputs.

Just going back on bad memory, i thought of The Gong as always having some sort of trickle of band/talent constantly flowing out of it. Wasn't it the hub for some sort of black metal circle of bands that activly existed there a few years ago. Namely Drowning The Light, and all the offshoots/sideprojects from the plethora of members that came and went with that band?

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:39 am 

gigel2006 wrote:

How hard did you look in Vancouver? because there is an underground scene and jampacked all ages shows here.

Dismember was packed as was Carcass/Suffo... and back when I was in a band we had pretty packed audiences. I know alot of the scene people around here.. so I am gonna have to say you didn't look very far.

TROLLbarn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:20 am 

I am living in the Ruhr-Area, a densly populated part of western Germany.

We have a lot of emo kids here and most people enjoy hip-hop or some stupid disco music.
Most people here hate metal, however there are many people living here so there is a scene. Due to good railway and bus connections it is easy to travell far in short time, thus many people can gather(the person i went to most gigs with is living 130 Kilometers away from me).

We have a few good powermetal bands here(Axxis, Blind Guardian).
The best thing is that many scandinavian bands play gigs here, because here are more people and cheaper beer than in their homecountries(that is where all good swedish bands are gone^^).

All in all I would say that it is a good place here for metal.

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:46 am 

DerickVonDerickson wrote:
Well, since I made the "Metalheads in the US" topic, after seeing how many replies I got, I figured I'd create this topic about the metal scene in other countries. I heard, that metal is big in Brazil. I saw a documentary entitled "Global Metal" and they showed a mall in Brazil that was devoted to heavy metal.

It´s called "Galeria do Rock" (Rock Gallery, so to say), and it´s in São Paulo.

About my country, there are good bands spreaded all around it. But there are, so to say, "cores" of some styles. Let me explain. Porto Alegre and outskirts have a lot of melodic metal bands. Rio de Janeiro has many black metal bands, and many Northeastern cities as well. Sepultura comes from Belo Horizonte, which now has some good hard rock bands. My city specifically has a very weak scene. A lot of bands, WHEN they come here to play, suffer with empty shows and shitty stage production. Symphony X, for example, had like 400 people, even though it was a great show.

But... miraculously, Maiden is coming here to my city in March, with their full stage of their Somewhere Back in Time World Tour, and I´ll watch them. Again.

But, anyway, there are a LOT of good bands in Brazil, such as Claustrofobia (thrash), Mindflow (prog), Krisiun, Seventh Seal (heavy/prog), Eterna (white metal), Unearthly (black metal), etc.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:55 am 

I don't know of any metal scene at all but I haven't really looked for any as I am a fair way out of Melbourne (hour by train). Also, I only really have ONE metal friend in real life :(
I know a few others that like metal but they all are pretty new to it and don't know anything.

So lonely.... :aww:

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:15 am 

steady666 wrote:
I don't know of any metal scene at all but I haven't really looked for any as I am a fair way out of Melbourne (hour by train). Also, I only really have ONE metal friend in real life :(
I know a few others that like metal but they all are pretty new to it and don't know anything.

So lonely.... :aww:

Don't sound so depressed, an hour away from a city that has a thriving underground music culture is a lot better than how some people have it. You just have to make more effort in going out man, there are plenty of good things going on in Melbourne. Ive seen some great local shows!

As far as my opinions go for the scene in Melbourne, im pretty fucking happy. I think we get an acceptable number of international acts coming thru the country to tour, and the number of bands seems to be increasing each year. The local scene can be really vast and diverse if you have the tastes for it. Im an absolute gore/grindcore/noise fan, so im usually pleasured with the likes of a grind show every few weeks on average, with some great Melbourne line-ups featuring some bands like:

Blood Duster
Fuck I'm Dead - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=15711435
The Day Everything Became Nothing - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=12994193
The Kill - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =206108594
Agents Of Abhorrance - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=18232189
Roskopp - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=56695536
Dad They Broke Me - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=71876774
Shagnum - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=71527146
Doubled Over - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =353674286
Die Pigeon Die - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=28114041
Super Fun Happy Slide - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=18932032
Pathetic Human - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =321572633
Collapsed Toilet Vietnam - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =266453330

Not to mention this festival in January:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =286663704

Then if thats not enough of a musical fix, there's some great crust/punk bands like:
Pisschrist - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=22401936
Straightjacket Nation - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =316648965
Cut Sick - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =164618933

Then there's doom/stoner/drone/experimental bands like:
Clagg - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=49755013
Ahkmed - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=78579417
Dread - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =128411488
Agonhymn - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=70386372
Spider Goat Canyon - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=92505540
Firewitch - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =383417887
Whitehorse - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=70386372

Then there are the metal bands that i really don't go to see live often, but there are regular shows playing with local bands such as:
Cemetary Urn - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =108287115
Excarnated (Dead now) - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =111014347
Embodied - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=99418831
Urgrund - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=20882812
Gospel Of The Horns (Dead now, but have seen many blistering sets!)
Ne Obliviscaris - http://www.myspace.com/neobliviscaris
Belakor - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=46412545

On top of those few genres, there is also a really big hardcore scene with some good bands, most notably Mindsnare, a fair few noise bands and the occasional black metal show. So yeah...weekend to weekend i usually find myself covered with something to go see! :D

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:42 am 

ENKC wrote:
At least here in Perth apparently every classic metal band ever has been coming through over the last couple of years (although Saxon skipped us :(). I've only got to see Priest and Maiden, as I couldn't make it to Sabbath or Motorhead sadly. Apart from that people talk about metal as Disturbed, Slipknot and DragonFarce, who all toured here recently. Plus we have megatons of the usual screamo/metalcore rubbish. I'm actually turning into far more of a 'true' metal fan than all my friends who've been into it since high school.

Wow another Perth fag!!! What side of river are you on?

eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:01 am 

potassium_cianide wrote:

About my country, there are good bands spreaded all around it. But there are, so to say, "cores" of some styles. Let me explain. Porto Alegre and outskirts have a lot of melodic metal bands. Rio de Janeiro has many black metal bands, and many Northeastern cities as well. Sepultura comes from Belo Horizonte, which now has some good hard rock bands. My city specifically has a very weak scene. A lot of bands, WHEN they come here to play, suffer with empty shows and shitty stage production. Symphony X, for example, had like 400 people, even though it was a great show.

But... miraculously, Maiden is coming here to my city in March, with their full stage of their Somewhere Back in Time World Tour, and I´ll watch them. Again.

But, anyway, there are a LOT of good bands in Brazil, such as Claustrofobia (thrash), Mindflow (prog), Krisiun, Seventh Seal (heavy/prog), Eterna (white metal), Unearthly (black metal), etc.

Dude 400 people at one show is PHENOMENAL man, that's insane. 400 people is A LOT

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:21 am 

steady666 wrote:
Also, I only really have ONE metal friend in real life :(

Not a single friend of mine is into metal. And I prefer it to stay this way.

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:32 am 

eternal_sin666 wrote:
potassium_cianide wrote:

Dude 400 people at one show is PHENOMENAL man, that's insane. 400 people is A LOT
For a place that can stand like 1000 people, and considering that this place is wider than it is long (think of a rectangle in which the stage is on the larger side), I don´t think it was a lot. Even because it looked like empty, even though it wasn´t. But I know Symphony X´s guys just loved the show, they played the encore plus FOUR other songs.

That´s a problem of my city, really. The tickets may be cheap as hell, but a lot of folks prefer to stay outside the show, drinking cheap wine, saying "meh, I don´t have money", but spending a lot of fucking money on that cheap wine and beer. Bastards.

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:12 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
How hard did you look in Vancouver? because there is an underground scene and jampacked all ages shows here.

Dismember was packed as was Carcass/Suffo... and back when I was in a band we had pretty packed audiences. I know alot of the scene people around here.. so I am gonna have to say you didn't look very far.

Wow, just wow. First of all I attended those shows. If a show is packed doesn't mean Vancouver has a good scene.
If you just happened to talk to some people you'd realize that they had come there from all over. First guy I ran into was from Abbostford (he didn't know where commodore was). I also met 6 people from Prince George, 3 from Victoria, and 1 from Nanaimo. And I am not a very chatty person so I'm guessing it wasn't just them, but none the people I met were actually from Vancouver and/or it's suburbs. And other metal friends are also from far away.
Scene is not also just how many metalheads there are in the city, it's about the solidarity. The Original Post asks about the scene.
Where is the scene in Vancouver? Just a retarded bar named Cobalt full of drug addicts and moronheads; plus some overpriced crappy concerts.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:34 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:
steady666 wrote:
Also, I only really have ONE metal friend in real life :(

Not a single friend of mine is into metal. And I prefer it to stay this way.

Well, from one perspective I agree with you, but it would be nice to have a bud that you go to concerts with... ;) But I got to know some people now that I've been arround a little while, so atleast there's some people I can approach.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:50 pm 

I don't go to concerts, mainly because I discover the good ones too late (e.g. Dio, Slayer, W.A.S.P.) and the rest simply suck. To be honest, one friend of mine was into metal for several years, but now he's drifted more towards folk music, although he spins metal albums once in a while. But our tastes in metal seriously differed even back then, so...

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:13 pm 

I think that metal scene in the Czech republic is pretty strong.
I live in a city with 300 000 residents and we have here about 5 clubs where metal gigs are organised.
Recently here played Napalm death, Benediction, Disgorge and in the Prague, the main city there are playing a lots of bands, almost everything you can imagine...
In all bigger cities there are smaller clubs and quite nice underground scene, especially lots of grind and death metal bands.

We have here big open-air named Brutal assault, next year it will be 15th edition. This year for example Esoteric, Anathema, Septic flesh, Hour of penance, Sodom, Berzerker, Mayhem etc. took part.
Another open-air named Unholyfest is planned for next year with Asphyx, Obituary, Immortal, Satyricon etc.

The most known Czech metal bands include Lykathe, !TOOH!, Master's Hammer, Vuvr

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:10 pm 

gigel2006 wrote:

Well, it's not exactly 0, things are are steadily forming here. More and more festivals and gigs are organized, more so in Bucharest (but I live quite far from there :P ). The underground is really picking up, more and more bands are forming, but we sadly don't have the necessary "underground culture" to appreciate these bands. What I mean by this is, that most of the metalheads don't care about opening acts, or beginner bands. We even have now a metal and rock themed video channel similar to Youtube: Rocktube. So things are steadily improving, but it will take a long time until a more dedicated underground forms.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:14 am 

fiercetroll wrote:
ENKC wrote:

Wow another Perth fag!!! What side of river are you on?

The right side of course. :P I'm north. Can't say that 'fag' sits well with me though.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:24 am 

There's not much of a perth scene unless if you enjoy extremely generic death metal. Having said that, I enjoy a bit of generic death metal once in a while, and the doom/noise scene around here isn't too bad; small but pretty close knit. Things could certainly be worse.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:13 pm 

Sounds like the isolation of Perth is working wonders for the metal scene.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next