Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sprintcarfan2007
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:11 pm 

Anyone gone and seen em this year? Or going to?

I seen em live on November 30th, at the Tacoma Dome, and had a awesome time. Such a great concert. I loved it.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:36 pm 

I wonder how many of those shows will be sold out.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:41 pm 

Does Angus still go nuts onstage?

Last.fm

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:50 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:

I suspect all of them, even though ticket prices are equivalent to a barrel of oil.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:24 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:
Does Angus still go nuts onstage?

YES. I saw them on November 5th in Detroit. It was insane. Trains busting through the stage, Angus doing his duckwalk. Fire everywhere. Brian screetching his head off, Phil just sitting back smoking a cig, while Malcolm and Cliff just chill out at the back of the stage doing their vocals and rhythm...

AMAZING concert.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:00 pm 

thejuicebitch wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

I suspect all of them, even though ticket prices are equivalent to a barrel of oil.

Maybe they will. Maybe there is a resurgence of interest for them to sell out everywhere compared to around 7 years ago when they had to cancel dates in New Orleans and Little Rock due to not selling enough tickets for those shows.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:02 pm 

Tickets over here sold out in less than 20 minutes. I'm going to mug a tout and help myself. Two wrongs make a right, in this case.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:12 pm 

Be weary of scalpers although I don't think the practice is quite as rampant in the UK as it is in the US.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:37 pm 

Why the fuck is AC/DC such a big deal? I mean seriously millions of people are flocking to their concerts as if they are the best band ever. They're not really that great, seriously.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:39 pm 

Six Feet Under apparently dig them enough to devote a whole album to them. It doesn't surprise me that such an idiotic band would do so however.

sprintcarfan2007
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:48 pm 

agentsteel666 wrote:
Why the fuck is AC/DC such a big deal? I mean seriously millions of people are flocking to their concerts as if they are the best band ever. They're not really that great, seriously.

Tell us why they aren't that great???

They are one of my all time favorite bands. Why? Because I think they are a fun band to listen to. People always say, that all their songs sound the same. So what??? They are fun to listen to, and rock out to. Its fun. Thats what music is suppose to be right??? It's good music to listen to partying, or relaxing.

As for ticket prices. On their myspace page, it i seen maybe 4 or 5 shows that aren't sold out, yet.

Erickg13: I like the way you put that. It sums the show up, but it doesn't do it justice as in being there to see em live.

It was my favorite concert of 2008.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:13 am 

I saw them at MSG on 11/13 and they ruled as usual.

agentsteel666 wrote:

Because AC/DC is one of the best rock n' roll bands of all time. It's just a fact. Not many bands playing gritty dark blues like those guys can play it, and it's not often you see bands that have great guitar players that aren't wankin' it all over the place and actually have a fingerprint and still play bluesy. Plus, say what you want about every song sounding the same :rolleyes: but AC/DC has majorly great rock songs (that is up through FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK, which is also an under-rated great record).

Ok, Brian's voice has been shot for years, but it's still an amazing great drinkin' show.

To each their own of course, but me thinks if you don't like AC/DC, you probably don't like rock n' roll at all.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:20 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:

Aren't you the guy who likes Cinderella?

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:32 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:

Aren't you the guy who likes Cinderella?

If that's true, what the hell is NIGHT SONGS? :lol:

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:39 am 

sprintcarfan2007 wrote:
Erickg13: I like the way you put that. It sums the show up, but it doesn't do it justice as in being there to see em live.

Oh I know it doesn't do them justice, I'm more or less just saying everything was per usual. No fastballs on the bands behalf.

And Deathcorpse, I know you said that Brian's voice is on the downside, but on Black Ice it was 10 times better than what it was on Stiff Upper Lip in my opinion. And it was pretty good live... I mean compared to some older live stuff from then early 80's it doesn't compare... But if you wanna compare it to 1996 No Bull or the one concert from 2003 in Toronto, it was just as good if not better.

My ONLY complaint is the addition of the word "mama" to Back in Black. It annoys the fuck outta me... "I'm back in black, mama".... I first noticed it on some of the live bootlegs around 1985, and they did it in Detroit, and I assume everywhere else.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:47 am 

erickg13 wrote:
sprintcarfan2007 wrote:

Oh I know it doesn't do them justice, I'm more or less just saying everything was per usual. No fastballs on the bands behalf.

And Deathcorpse, I know you said that Brian's voice is on the downside, but on Black Ice it was 10 times better than what it was on Stiff Upper Lip in my opinion. And it was pretty good live... I mean compared to some older live stuff from then early 80's it doesn't compare... But if you wanna compare it to 1996 No Bull or the one concert from 2003 in Toronto, it was just as good if not better.

My ONLY complaint is the addition of the word "mama" to Back in Black. It annoys the fuck outta me... "I'm back in black, mama".... I first noticed it on some of the live bootlegs around 1985, and they did it in Detroit, and I assume everywhere else.

I also saw them on that STIFF UPPER LIP tour and I don't know...it's a tossup. I guess Brendan O'Brien got a better performance out of Brian. Don't get me wrong though, I think BIB and FTATR are amazing records and I love his vocals on those 2 albums. I just think he lost something after those 2, probably the higher register and wail which exemplified his performance on those records.

I know what you mean though. But for me, AC/DC really is about that music unit of Malcolm's great rhythm riffing and obviously Angus' leads...which includes the under-rated rhythm section of the great Phil Rudd and Cliff Williams. Brian is just icing at this point. As long as he can sing the Bon material (which is in a lower register and he can do decently) then he's golden...and that's what he does at this point and has been doing pretty well for years.

Still regardless and it's just my opinion, but it's all about Bon Scott worship. That's the real AC/DC and those 2 albums with Brian although amazing are obviously following everything up before.

I wish I saw AC/DC with Bon Scott though. I was born just a tad too late. Maybe just 3-4 years too late, but oh well.

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:07 am 

Those 2 albums with Brian brought those great albums with Bon to a bigger audience. My favorite album is either Let There be Rock or Powerage. Powerage is really the wildcard of the AC/DC albums, it sounds like none of their other albums. Whats Next to the Moon(?) has one of the coolest beats they have ever made.

Anyways I think Brian was also OKAY on Flick of the Switch and had a bit of a comeback on The Razors Edge (though some say that the comeback started on Blow Up Your Video, which I think is probably the "forgotten" AC/DC album).

Cliff more than Phil is the forgotten member. At least when Phil left people realized that without him it's just not the same. Cliff has been steady since day one. Although I still think that the lineup with Evans on bass was really really strong. I mean Angus and Malcolm argued to have him in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he must mean something to them...

As for me, to have seen Bon, I would have had to been born almost 25 years before I was born.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:15 am 

erickg13 wrote:
Those 2 albums with Brian brought those great albums with Bon to a bigger audience. My favorite album is either Let There be Rock or Powerage. Powerage is really the wildcard of the AC/DC albums, it sounds like none of their other albums. Whats Next to the Moon(?) has one of the coolest beats they have ever made.

Anyways I think Brian was also OKAY on Flick of the Switch and had a bit of a comeback on The Razors Edge (though some say that the comeback started on Blow Up Your Video, which I think is probably the "forgotten" AC/DC album).

Cliff more than Phil is the forgotten member. At least when Phil left people realized that without him it's just not the same. Cliff has been steady since day one. Although I still think that the lineup with Evans on bass was really really strong. I mean Angus and Malcolm argued to have him in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he must mean something to them...

As for me, to have seen Bon, I would have had to been born almost 25 years before I was born.

Cliff is a great anchor, as is Phil. Phil is one of my favorite drummers because he has great timing and he can swing all in the essence of a four on the floor drum pattern. To me that is talent. It's not much different than someone like Charlie Watts and I think he's under-rated as well.

My favorite albums are High Voltage, If You Want Blood, Highway To Hell, BIB and FTATR. I love the other Bon albums Powerage, Let There Be Rock, and Dirty Deeds...I have all of these albums on vinyl as well as remastered on CD. All great.

I'm not much for them after FOR THOSE which I think is their last real kick ass record (and quite under-rated). A song here and there. From the footage I've seen of them, talking live they really peaked on FOR THOSE for the Brian years, and for Bon definitely on HIGHWAY where AC/DC were sounding their tightest.

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:39 am 

Agreed, Phil is just so perfect for them. He is so perfect for them that his additions to the music are almost overlooked.

I have all the albums remastered in the digipaks except for Stiff Upper Lip, which I have the solid case version, but I'll get the digipak one eventually. I also have Back in Black, Highway to Hell, Powerage and If You Want Blood... on Vinyl.

I will agree they were at their tightest in the Highway to Hell era. And I agree about For Those About to Rock, however I think that Flick of the Switch ain't too shabby, and neither is The Razors Edge.

altagu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:52 am 

Yes!! I went to see them on the 18th I think it was...

Angus did a fucken crazy 10 min improv solo at the end :O

Balaam_Abaddon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:09 pm 

I never really did like AC DC too well, they just were never that great in my opinion, I wouldn't waste my money going, if somebody wanted to take me, and offered to pay, I would consider going.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:14 pm 

Damn. Seeing AC/DC live would be awesome.

Just plain awesome.

:headbang:
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:53 pm 

I don't like AC/DC really, but I admit it would be cool to see them. But I would never pay the stupid prices for tickets on the black market.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

sprintcarfan2007
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:44 pm 

As for Brian Johnson's voice, I have always liked his voice, on every album, he's getting old, but can still sound good.

All and all, I will always be a huge fan of AC/DC

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:27 pm 

I'd love to see them live before they retire.

Last.fm

Morbidreich
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:06 am 

I'd love to see them live before they decide to call it quits. I've heard rumors that this may be the last album, but I hope it's not true. I really liked Black Ice, sure its not their best album by any means, but its a kickass rock n' roll record that's so rare nowadays. Also I agree with those who mentioned Brian sounds better on this album than on Stiff Upper Lip, and the whole band is in fine form on the album. I've always been partial to 70s Bon era AC/DC and Powerage and Highway to Hell are absolute rock classics.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.