Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:50 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
With all the controversy about "unblack" metal, how about making Christian black metal by portraying God in brutal, baby-killing Old Testament mode and have every song about how awesome it is when God kills people? If black metal is evil, it follows that Christian black metal should portray God as evil, right? You could have song titles like "Thy Flesh Consumed" (an actual Bible reference), "Burning in Hell", "Kill the Firstborn", "The Great Whore", "Gathering of the Flesh Eaters" (Holy Communion), and "There She Lusted After her Lovers, Whose Genitals were Like Donkeys, and Whose Emissions were Like Horses" (another actual Bible reference).

And of course, you could have some suitably violent Bible quotes as spoken word passages:

The Bible wrote:
Some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, "Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!" And ... he cursed them in the name of the Lord. And two she-bears came out of the woods and tore forty-two of the boys.

Of course, this would probably be even more offensive to the average Christian than normal black metal, but at least it fits the genre. God sending bears to rip little kids to pieces? METAL.

The album cover would be black on white (instead of white on black) with God scowling and giving you the finger. (Possible album title: God Hates YOU!)

No doubt there are many pretty horrific descriptions in the bible and one could take that stance completely. Some one should do it, perhaps on a pure Nietzschian analytical sort of angle. That could be boss, I see that (not that's what you said, but I agree).

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:57 am 

twophoton wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
With all the controversy about "unblack" metal, how about making Christian black metal by portraying God in brutal, baby-killing Old Testament mode and have every song about how awesome it is when God kills people? If black metal is evil, it follows that Christian black metal should portray God as evil, right? You could have song titles like "Thy Flesh Consumed" (an actual Bible reference), "Burning in Hell", "Kill the Firstborn", "The Great Whore", "Gathering of the Flesh Eaters" (Holy Communion), and "There She Lusted After her Lovers, Whose Genitals were Like Donkeys, and Whose Emissions were Like Horses" (another actual Bible reference).

Wouldn't that be more like Jewish black metal, since it's Old Testament? And Christian black metal would be more like songs about Jesus killing babies and lambs and setting huts on fire. Or something like that. Did Jesus ever do shit like that? I mean, I know plenty of folks have killed in His name, but I don't recall Jesus being so evil himself.

{I have a big grin that you can't see right now.}

He called Canaanites "dogs" and told the Good Samaritan to ignore the suffering of his own people and serve Israelites exclusively, and didn't say anything really about God taking back all the shit he did in the Old Testament. Plus there's the whole "believe in Jesus Christ as your personal savior or BURN IN HELL FOR ALL TIME" thing. Not nearly as metal as OT God, but he's not that nice either.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:10 am 

Kruel wrote:
KingVold wrote:
Black metal: A form of extreme metal utilizing Hevay Distortion, many high-pitched notes, tremolo-picking, Blast-beats, and double-kick drumming. Typically, tempo's are fast.
Black metal is all about atmosphere. Blakc metal abnds often wear corpsepaint, have satanic or antireligious lyrics, and have extremely bad production ina an attempt to stay true tot he genre's roots. This atmosphere is referred to as "kvlt" a form of the word cult.

Good enough?

No.

All the other issues aside, what the is a "kvlt" atmosphere?

I know youve been on thsi website for a while. There is no way you havenet heard the word Kvlt. It refers to BM bands with crappy production, satanist lyrics, corpsepaint, and allt he toher melodramatic trappigs of BM.

That aside, I forgot to mention the High-pitched harsh vocals used by vocalsits of the genre.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:13 am 

KingVold wrote:
Kruel wrote:
KingVold wrote:
Black metal: A form of extreme metal utilizing Hevay Distortion, many high-pitched notes, tremolo-picking, Blast-beats, and double-kick drumming. Typically, tempo's are fast.
Black metal is all about atmosphere. Blakc metal abnds often wear corpsepaint, have satanic or antireligious lyrics, and have extremely bad production ina an attempt to stay true tot he genre's roots. This atmosphere is referred to as "kvlt" a form of the word cult.

Good enough?

No.

All the other issues aside, what the is a "kvlt" atmosphere?

I know youve been on thsi website for a while. There is no way you havenet heard the word Kvlt. It refers to BM bands with crappy production, satanist lyrics, corpsepaint, and allt he toher melodramatic trappigs of BM.

That aside, I forgot to mention the High-pitched harsh vocals used by vocalsits of the genre.

I think he was pointing out that the word "kvlt" is an utterly useless description in this case.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:15 am 

Crappy production, Satanist lyrics, etc. are not atmosphere.

Edit: And it's indeed useless, even in refernece to the things he mentioned. In fact, it serves one useful function: revealing the IQ of the one who uses the word (through the Roman numeral).

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:28 am 

What Roman numeral? VL? 45 sounds a bit high.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:36 am 

VL isn't really a number, so I'd just discard the L and keep the V -- that way the k-word represents an IQ number more similar to those expressed by "tr00" and "gr1m."

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:51 pm 

Lich_King wrote:
Black metal sucks.

Someone should write a really awesome song about that.

ZING.

"Hair parted down the middle, frowning like a frog."

UpInSmoke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:42 pm 

It can be really good or really bad, sometimes corny. Immortal is pretty corny but the music is still good.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:42 pm 

I heard some nice description: "black metal sounds like flushing away W.C."

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:57 am 

Black metal and death metal are sibling genres in a way because they both derive from thrash metal but they are generally quite different in sound. Black metal is again generally less technical but that's one of the reasons I love black. I prefer the bm that sits closely in sound to old speed/thrash. Less can be more.

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:05 am 

I have to give out one recommendation, and I'm sorry if it was been mentioned previously...

Vinterland

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:06 am 

What does it have to do with this thread?
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:10 am 

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
I have to give out one recommendation, and I'm sorry if it was been mentioned previously...

Vinterland

No, I would recommend Mayhem for his inaugural real bm purchase but there are so many to choose. I wish I could break the list out. But that's what the Help Threads are for.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:29 am 

Lich_King wrote:
Black metal sucks.

Isn't someone feeling ironic today :roll:

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:53 am 

Black metal is primal, ugly, and beautiful.

Wow, that sounded gay. BLACK METAL IS ABOUT SHAVING YOUR HEAD AND UNHOLY POWER LIFTING!

thammaren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:31 pm 

Black metal is a form of metal derived from Thrash, pioneered by Venom and later, Bathory. Black metal typically uses very fast drumming, tremolo picking with the guitar(s) and usually more of a focus on riffs than solos, which are uncommon to the genre. The band you mentioned, Dimmu Borgir, is not black metal, they are called "symphonic extreme metal".
Anyway, Black Metal uses high pitched screeches and shrieks as opposed to death metal, which is known for a low pitched growl. But the genre sometimes utilizes this style too.
There are two. kinds of Black Metal: "True" Black Metal (e.g. Burzum, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Gorgoroth), Symphonic/Melodic Black Metal (e.g. Old Dimmu Borgir, Thy Serpent, Barathrum, Impaled Nazarene, some of Finntroll)

blakkmetalmaniak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:41 pm 

Lich_King wrote:
Black metal sucks.

Black metal is like a fucking headnut. It's like a fucking kick in your face, and you really need that.

Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:54 pm 

blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
Lich_King wrote:
Black metal sucks.

Black metal is like a fucking headnut. It's like a fucking kick in your face, and you really need that.

Headnut huh, is that like, teabagging?

Anyway, I don't think there is a way to define it as it has so many diverse offshots (melodic, symphonic, ambient/atmospheric etc), it's almost like an ambient form of metal in itself (mainly because of the often used lofi/raw production and the fuzzy guitar). I really don't think I can add anymore that hasn't already been said, although I will say for you to just find out bands on your own (hell I don't even like any of the 1st or 2nd wave stuff bar Carpathian Forest's first EP, Gehenna, Judas Iscariot, Fleurety,Gorgoroth and Summoning), music is subjective after all.
To me Darkthrone, Burzum and Mayhem are overrated, Immortal and Emperor aren't really that good (though Immortal can be fun sometimes), Venom, Bathory and Celtic Frost bore me and I could never get into the King's vocals.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:01 pm 

blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
Lich_King wrote:
Black metal sucks.

Someone needs to research a little more before getting cranky.

That said, black metal (to me, anyway) is just a different variation of "format" when it comes to your musical output. Lyrical topics shouldn't be considered a standard, rather a popular topic. The guitars and production? The tremolo picking, harsh vocal styles are the only parts that should really stay, the bad production is again a different facet of how you want to create the song. Bad production can make things sound better for giving a (believe it or not) warmer sound, rather than crystal clear "cold" riffs.

Summary: Defining musical genres beyond generalized characteristic playing styles is fruitless.

Recommendations: If you want to start off in Norway, go for Immortal since things get nice and catchy most of the time. Mayhem can get too chaotic and harsh, but if you want to condition yourself for a quicker "evolution" in your tastes when you're expanding that might be the better choice.

If you want to start in Sweden, Mörk Gryning. Catchy and quite melodic at times in the early material, yet still properly harsh with a nice distinctive playing style. Draakh's vocals are really strong in all the releases, though the self-titled farewell album has a different vocalist with less talent. They've also taken influence from a wide spectrum later on in their material (you can hear Goth's rock influence on the solo of "The Aurora", for example).
Hehe, foreskins.

skyforestblaze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:18 pm 

F.O.A.D.

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:21 pm 

BLACK METAL IS THE SOUND OF RAVENS GLIDING THROUGH A MOONLIT FOREST. BLACK METAL IS THE SOUND OF A BURNING CHURCH. BLACK METAL IS THE SOUND OF THE SPEAR OF LONGINUS CRACKING CHRIST'S RIBS. BLACK METAL IS A BATTLE ON A FROZEN MOUNTAIN. BLACK METAL IS THE NOCTURNAL WHISPERINGS OF CREATURES FROM BEYOND THE VOID.

it is not for your... human ears...

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:25 pm 

Really Noktorn, all that and not a single "BLACK METAL IST KRIEG!"? For shame.
Hehe, foreskins.

Last edited by Crick on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:27 pm 

Noktorn wrote:
BLACK METAL IS THE SOUND OF RAVENS GLIDING THROUGH A MOONLIT FOREST. BLACK METAL IS THE SOUND OF A BURNING CHURCH. BLACK METAL IS THE SOUND OF THE SPEAR OF LONGINUS CRACKING CHRIST'S RIBS. BLACK METAL IS A BATTLE ON A FROZEN MOUNTAIN. BLACK METAL IS THE NOCTURNAL WHISPERINGS OF CREATURES FROM BEYOND THE VOID.

Yeahhhh, this. And I can't believe that you forgot about THE SOUND OF CHEAP RECORDING EQUIPMENT, THE INABILITY TO PLAY AN INSTRUMENT and of course my personal favourite BLACK METAL VOCALISTS ARE NO WHERE AS GRIM OR EVIL AS ANGRY JIM ROSS

blakkmetalmaniak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:46 pm 

Naedra wrote:
blakkmetalmaniak wrote:
Lich_King wrote:
Black metal sucks.

Headnut huh, is that like, teabagging?

You sure wish it was like teabagging, but actually it's more like smashing your fucking melon head, dude.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2