Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Satanic_Freedom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:28 pm 

thejuicebitch wrote:
Satanic_Freedom wrote:
. I just wish Ulver albums weren't so hard to find.

They're not. Where do you purchase music?

Fye, lol. Its the only place around that sells music, they have a decent selection at least, anywhere else is over an hours drive.
Infernal hails to the King of the Howling Wolves, the dark lord of the night, thy radiance gives me strength, and thy path gives me hope of life beyond this world, forever shalt I praise thy dreaded name, thou shalt forever prevail.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:32 pm 

Satanic_Freedom wrote:
thejuicebitch wrote:
Satanic_Freedom wrote:

Fye, lol. Its the only place around that sells music, they have a decent selection at least, anywhere else is over an hours drive.

Ever considered the internet? All of Ulver's early albums are available on Amazon.com.
Death metal is eternal.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:34 pm 

deathcorpse wrote:
Thinking about this, I could rattle off this guitarist or that drummer, but this is my pick:

Ronnie James Dio

Even though I'm not a vocalist, I think RJD is a phenomenon. When I was 12 (this was in 1980) a good friend of mine's cousin (who I was also friends with) had an album that we listened to called "Heaven And Hell" and I was pretty blown away by the musicianship but especially by Ronnie's voice.

Time passes on, and Dio does HOLY DIVER and LAST IN LINE, I'm a fan. But even more than anything, once Dio did the Sabbath reunion for DEHUMANIZER (I saw them twice on that tour at The Beacon) that really did it for me. Seeing how he could keep going regardless of popular genre changes was amazing.

Then, FFWD and seeing him in 2002 at Roseland (the DVD was filmed for that show) still ruling, through seeing him at The Beacon on Master Of The Moon, still ruling; and then seeing the Sabbath i.e. Heaven And Hell reunion at Radio City 10th row (and that was also filmed for a DVD) all confirmed to me something...

All joking aside, age is not really important...state of mind is what is. You are forever young if you feel young and Dio even though he's lost some ground in the last few years vocally (compared to even how he was back in 2002) has proved this to be true. He's proved to be a warrior of metal through his old days of Elf and Rainbow through Sabbath and his long solo career and then back with Sabbath and then back solo, and back with Sabbath again with no jumping on genre bandwagons (although we all know he started out singing in the late 50's in a different type of genre, but once he found his niche stayed true to it for over 35 years). That to me is a true metal warrior.

This is exactly what I was thinking, while I'm not the same age as you Ronnie James Dio has had the same affect on me. His voice is so powerful and unique and commands the scene all while being the most metal human being ever.

Another is Jon Schaffer. One of the masters of the riff and has become one of the greatest songwriters period in my eyes; although losing some momentum the past few releases but his early work is some of the best this scene has ever seen.

Johan Hegg is another, as well as all the guys from Amon Amarth. Such hard working and energetic fuckers, creating some of the best and most solid work for over a decade. It's rare to find a single band with not a single bad release, while Johan Hegg has been at the forefront being a fucking icon in my eyes. Props to him.

Satanic_Freedom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:39 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Satanic_Freedom wrote:
thejuicebitch wrote:
Satanic_Freedom wrote:

Ever considered the internet? All of Ulver's early albums are available on Amazon.com.

Well yeah obviously, I just don't have a credit card or a bank account. (no paypal) Plus my mom is a religious asshole so I have to sneak whatever I can get. I'm graduating next year, so I'm really not upset about it. I'll be out of this house soon.
Infernal hails to the King of the Howling Wolves, the dark lord of the night, thy radiance gives me strength, and thy path gives me hope of life beyond this world, forever shalt I praise thy dreaded name, thou shalt forever prevail.

PontiusPilate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:19 pm 

Peter Steele - Though I cannot listen to Type O Negative any more (it is too painful; they are too cloesly associated with a relationship that ended terribly), they will forever be, in my heart, my all-time favorite band. Peter Steele is my hero, as their principal songwriter and frontman. October Rust was an absolutely perfect record, not a bad note on it. Same goes for World Coming Down, and even Life Is Killing Me. He is the only lyricist and composer that I feel can truly capture the beauty of nature through his words and music. The style of music this man has invented is so close to my heart and is so unique and so distinguished that I can't help but relish in his genius. If I could only fucking listen to them again.

Mikael Åkerfeldt - Opeth seem to get a lot of shit (though not too much, obviously they have a large fanbase) - yet I bet 95% of the naysayers do not possess half the songwriting ability of this man. I speak more of his music than I do his words. Listen to tracks like "Hessian Peel" off of Watershed, anything off of Damnation, or "Dirge for November" off of Blackwater Park - and tell me the man is not a gifted composer. And if you still maintain that stance; I'd like to hear you come up with something better. His ear for melody is incredible, as well as his knack for absolutely epic, juicy riffs. He is just an incredible songwriter and composer, and I look up to him and envy his talent.

Quorthon - Is there a reason not to admire this man? He essentially gave birth to what would become an extremely popular genre in metal, he (for the most part) did it single-handedly, and the man is simply talented as fuck. He may not have the best voice in the world, but "Man of Iron" is one of the most beautiful songs ever, "War" and "Reaper" are some of the most brutal, and "The Land" defines EPIC. The man does whatever the fuck he wants, and can pull it off convincingly - he has proven this numerous times. Sadly enough, he was taken far too soon.

King Diamond - The man is just a legend, and to me is one of the greatest story tellers to ever set foot on the Earth. He is probably one of the only singers that can pull of a chorus that consists only of "All Hail Satan" and not sound like a total patzer. He has come up with some wicked melodies, and some even better stories. A supreme lyricist and a gifted singer, the guy for me embodies heavy fucking metal with attitude - and for that I will always admire him. Hail fucking Satan!

James Hetfield - I don't give a shit what anyone says about Metallica. They may be severely overrated, but Hetfield is a great songwriter. I wish I could write songs like "Blackened", "One", "The Outlaw Torn" or "The Thing That Should Not Be". He just has a great gift for songwriting and composition - and his style is extremely recognizable; that's something I feel is indisputable about Metallica. And I admire and envy that.

Glenn Danzig - He may have an ego the size of Steve Grimmett, but you cannot deny the impact this man has had on multiple genres. Up until Danzig 5, Danzig was one of the most consistent metal bands on the scene - churning out great album after great fucking album. He has got to be one of the best fucking songwriters out there (if you disagree, please try writing a song as half as catchy as "Teenagers from Mars", then writing about one hundred more, just as catchy, all sounding different) - and he just fucking rules. The Misfits and Samhain, whilst having been raped by Hot Topic kiddies, were also incredible.

Zerroth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:07 pm 

Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater does it for me. Even though I play guitar and not the drums. He has the most diverse taste in music out of all musicians I know of. He's very organized as he makes a list of every gig he's ever done and even the setlist within those gigs. He's a big bootleg collector and organizes the official bootleg website. He's open minded. He likes Dethklok. And he is not against downloading. Kinda of reminds me of me and hence he's one guy who i'd look up to the most.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:18 pm 

Zerroth wrote:
Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater does it for me. Even though I play guitar and not the drums. He has the most diverse taste in music out of all musicians I know of. He's very organized as he makes a list of every gig he's ever done and even the setlist within those gigs. He's a big bootleg collector and organizes the official bootleg website. He's open minded. He likes Dethklok. And he is not against downloading. Kinda of reminds me of me and hence he's one guy who i'd look up to the most.

Dethklok..meh

Portnoy seems like a good guy, but taste of music isn't actually that diverse.

I love his rotating setlist system.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:25 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
What? Didn't Heathen just promptly disappear for a while after VoD? That's hardly that praise worthy, releasing a thrash album in 1991? That's not particularly impressive either (even if the album itself is pretty damn good). If you're going to give special praise for any thrash band for "weathering the grunge storms!" or whatever how about Sodom, they never sold out or pandered. In 1994 they were releasing decent - if punkier - stuff like Get What You Deserve... as well as being far better and more important to the overall thrash movement than Heathen... but that's a totally different story!

Maybe you missed that part where they came back and started thrashing like it's 1988 again. I haven't seen anyone resurrect the spirit of old thrash as perfectly as Heathen has.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:33 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
What? Didn't Heathen just promptly disappear for a while after VoD? That's hardly that praise worthy, releasing a thrash album in 1991? That's not particularly impressive either (even if the album itself is pretty damn good). If you're going to give special praise for any thrash band for "weathering the grunge storms!" or whatever how about Sodom, they never sold out or pandered. In 1994 they were releasing decent - if punkier - stuff like Get What You Deserve... as well as being far better and more important to the overall thrash movement than Heathen... but that's a totally different story!

Maybe you missed that part where they came back and started thrashing like it's 1988 again. I haven't seen anyone resurrect the spirit of old thrash as perfectly as Heathen has.

Fair enough, but that's different to surviving the grunge holocaust, considering they weren't actually around and didn't stick it out through all of that. I've not actually heard that Heathen demo, I figure it can't be that good though. Perhaps their quality would have declined if they'd actually done more than two albums and a demo. That's what I see with a lot of the thrash bands.

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:32 pm 

Add Proscriptor of Absu fame to my list. Just listen to "Tara", this guy stands head and shoulders above this group of "extreme metal drummers". His fills are insane and his kit completely un-triggered. Not only that, but his vocal approach is unique, and he handles vocal duties AND drumming during live gigs. Lets see John Longstreth do that! He has pretty extensive knowledge in the occult, in turn making his lyric very interesting.

He's just a polymath when it comes to music, not to mention his solo project and dark ambient band Equimanthron are awesome. Plus, the guy just looks bad ass, I mean come on...

Death metal is eternal.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:23 pm 

redeemerofchaos wrote:
Vindsval is just an incredible musician, his work on Ultima Thulee just destroyed me.

Yes. Fuck yes to that.
I also would like to agree with the ones who mentioned Garm. From the very first note he sings on Bergtatt (his vocals in Vargnatt suck) he has become one of my all-time favourite vocalists. His harsh vocals on Nattens Madrigal or the first Borknagar are brutal as fuck and his clean delivery is amazingly beautiful, just listen to I Troldskog Faren Vild!. I just love everything he has put out, from Ulver to Arcturus to Head Control System, he has experimented with a lot of musical styles and his work on every single one of them is outstanding.
I am specially grateful to him because his first albums, Bergatt (one of my all-time favs) Nattens and, indirectly, Kveldssanger, made me fully appreciate black metal, not just as aggresive and fast music, but rather as a truly beatiful form of music.
/fanboy.

Also, I have a great respect for all these one-man projects such as Mirrorthrone, Belenos and Falkenbach. It never ceases to amaze me that Vratyas can creat such beatiful music all by himself.

And finally, I'd like to express my admiration for mr. Justin Oborn, because he is one of the greatest riff writers of all times. Long live the Wizard!

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:34 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Add Proscriptor of Absu fame to my list. Just listen to "Tara", this guy stands head and shoulders above this group of "extreme metal drummers". His fills are insane and his kit completely un-triggered. Not only that, but his vocal approach is unique, and he handles vocal duties AND drumming during live gigs. Lets see John Longstreth do that! He has pretty extensive knowledge in the occult, in turn making his lyric very interesting.

Put simply, Proscriptor is not human.
But I think his bass drums are triggered.

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:53 pm 

For me:

Quorthon - He was one of the greatest musicians and song writers in metal. He practicaly created a genre that has become very diverse. His voice, while not skilled was very emotional.

Tom Fischer - I love how simple yet heavy Hellhammer and Celtic Frost were. His music was never too complex but it was always interesting and very heavy. He did what he wanted, never comprimised and didn't take any shit.

Ronnie James Dio - He is one of the greatest singers in metal and music in general as well as a great songwriter and lyricist. Dio(the band) was the first metal band I heard when I was 14 and it blew me away. He's so powerful and seems to be eternal and not affected by age.

Rob "the Baron" Miller - Great bassist and a pioneer of one my favorite styles of music. His music has an emotional and spiritual(for lack of a better term) quality to it. He is another musician who did what he wanted and didn't take any shit.

Fenriz - His attitude towards Darkthrone and music in general is awesome. His music while not being too skilled or technical is great. Fromt he interview he seems very unpretentious and down to earth.

Tony Iommi - He wrote some of the greatest riffs ever and Sabbath will always be the greatest band in history imo. What else can you say about him that hasn't already been said?

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:05 pm 

thejuicebitch wrote:
RedMisanthrope wrote:

Put simply, Proscriptor is not human.
But I think his bass drums are triggered.

I'm sure I read an interview somewhere where he denounced the use of triggers, or something of the like. I'll see if I can conjure it up.

EDIT: You were right, on "Tara" he triggered the bass drums to make them louder. Oh well, as you said, he is inhuman, and the speed of the double bass strokes were still his own doing.
Death metal is eternal.

Last edited by RedMisanthrope on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:08 pm 

Dee Snyder of Twisted Sister for his outspoken stance on censorship during the PMRC hearings. In many ways he became the face of the fight against censorship durng that time.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:26 am 

Satanic_Shoe wrote:
Scott Kelly and Steve Von Till

The stuff these guys have been doing under Neurosis, Tribes of Neurot, and all their other projects has been just phenomenal. Definitely two of the greatest song-writers out there now.

I second that. Also, I really admire Devin Townsend because of his hysterical screaming, Mikael Akerfeldt because despite all of the people who hate him (and I can see why) he is an incredible singer/songwriter, Chuck Schuldiner because he was the best guitarist ever, etc.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:56 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Fair enough, but that's different to surviving the grunge holocaust, considering they weren't actually around and didn't stick it out through all of that. I've not actually heard that Heathen demo, I figure it can't be that good though. Perhaps their quality would have declined if they'd actually done more than two albums and a demo. That's what I see with a lot of the thrash bands.

Eh, no, it is an excellent demo. There's been good brutal thrash or death-thrash stuff on and off even after the early 90s but very little truly top tier classic/melodic thrash - I don't know what's the appropriate word. Heathen's demo certainly counts as one of the best examples of those in the 90s onwards period. I agree that they split at a fortuitous time and escaped the groove years. But that's nothing to deny the demo credit. It's still two albums and a demo of such good quality as only a select few in thrash managed. Think about it, there's so few bands in thrash metal who actually managed four or five excellent thrash albums. You mention Sodom, well how many bands have been as consistent as Sodom anyway, that's hardly a fair comparison.

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:12 pm 

thejuicebitch wrote:
Fenriz, just because he is so damn cool with his uncompromising rock n' roll, "fuck your opinion" attitude.

If you haven' seen the interview where Fenriz shows around his flat, I urge you to youtube it now.

Oh yer that's great "Always big sun glasses= good band, not emperor sunglasses"

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:26 pm 

Well, time to name my heroes.

Tony Iommi: For all the apathy I have to Ozzy's solo career, I have to give him credit where due. He said once that Iommi could come up with a riff that you think he'll never be able to beat and then he would promptly pull out an even better one. That's exactly right, Iommi's the riffmeister, to state the obvious. And while I wouldn't say he plays the best leads in rock/metal, his best contributions tend to get overlooked because people don't pay the same attention to his leads as to his riffs. But surely Lonely is the word is one of his finest creations. :metal:

Mike Scaccia: I am a little surprised myself I rate him so highly on the basis of just the one Rigor Mortis album. :P But that perhaps says a lot about how completely he swept me away on their s/t. No thrash metal guitarist has dazzled me even nearly to the same extent with the leads, rather than the riffs. A magician!

Ronnie James Dio: Yet another predictable choice but then he rules, comprehensively! Power, majesty, style, grace, there's every conceivable superlative present in his singing. Excuse the blatant fanboism, but this thread is such a wonderful opportunity to indulge in that. :lol: I do also appreciate that other than the false note he struck on Angry Machines, he has stayed reliable and true to his music all the way through in his solo career, though it has sometimes come at the expense of variety.

Many others too, but not perhaps to the same extent.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:27 pm 

PlagueRages wrote:
thejuicebitch wrote:
Fenriz, just because he is so damn cool with his uncompromising rock n' roll, "fuck your opinion" attitude.

If you haven' seen the interview where Fenriz shows around his flat, I urge you to youtube it now.

Oh yer that's great "Always big sun glasses= good band, not emperor sunglasses"

Words of wisdom from the great man.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:29 pm 

HeavyMetalSteve wrote:
For me:

Tom Fischer - I love how simple yet heavy Hellhammer and Celtic Frost were. His music was never too complex but it was always interesting and very heavy. He did what he wanted, never comprimised and didn't take any shit.

Never compromised? Haven't you ever heard of "Cold Lake"? Otherwise, I pretty much agree with you.

And also about Proscriptor. Frankly, anybody who can drum in an extreme style and do intense vocals simultaneously earns my respect. I've been trying to do it for years and even in small amounts it's far from easy. Also, we can add King Fowley to this elite as he was a great drummer and vocalist and an all-round cool guy with a lot of worthy things to say about metal.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:38 pm 

I have a question about Fischer...why is he so damn depressed?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:56 pm 

I’m putting my speculation cap on here a bit, but methinks if Heathen had continued they’d be far less revered. I’ll be sure to check it out though, along with their debut. They’re free I have no excuse… just sometimes the sheer level of Heathen worship round these parts baffles me. It’s as if Lee Altus invented strings or something. It’s just to say that Heathen are some kind of sole survivors and what not is a little misguided, I will concede that they are one of very few melodic thrash bands still putting out worthwhile stuff.

Tom Fisher is depressed because he is bald and the metal community saw through the commonly used ploy of a beanie (see the Scorpions for this too). He wished to re-visit his hair metal days but sadly his lusty locks have been replaced by cold, hard scalp… that’s why Monotheist sounds so down, Tom wanted to do a hair metal album instead.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:58 pm 

Haha, but he has hair poking out the side of his beanie! :-P

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:00 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I’m putting my speculation cap on here a bit, but methinks if Heathen had continued they’d be far less revered. I’ll be sure to check it out though, along with their debut. They’re free I have no excuse… just sometimes the sheer level of Heathen worship round these parts baffles me. It’s as if Lee Altus invented strings or something. It’s just to say that Heathen are some kind of sole survivors and what not is a little misguided, I will concede that they are one of very few melodic thrash bands still putting out worthwhile stuff.

Tom Fisher is depressed because he is bald and the metal community saw through the commonly used ploy of a beanie (see the Scorpions for this too). He wished to re-visit his hair metal days but sadly his lusty locks have been replaced by cold, hard scalp… that’s why Monotheist sounds so down, Tom wanted to do a hair metal album instead.

I like Heathen, but I don't really go ga-ga over them. I think you'll enjoy them well enough, and as you say, there's nothing to lose. The best thing about that band in my view is the solos .. wow, really tasty, melodious and impressive.

The more I listen to "Monotheist", the more I like it. However, martin's contributions really are best.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:05 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

He he this I agree with, sometimes a bunch of people get together and praise a band at every possible opportunity. Likewise Morbid Saint worship went through the roof and at some point, I suddenly didn't enjoy the album as much as I used to. :lol: Yes, the best reason to check out Heathen is they are absolutely free. Ignore the raving reviews :P and go with modest expectations, you are sure to enjoy it. Like Abom said, nice leads.

shibby2441
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:36 pm 

Aquarius wrote:
I appreciate these Metal personalities:

1. Jon Nödtveidt - for me he was one of the best Metal musicians in the world. Dissection affected my musical direction a lot.

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:17 pm 

I look up to Attila/Atilla Csihar and all of Moonspell. Moonspell are my essence put to music and Atilla/Attila is the greatest worst vocalist of all time. He doesn't mind torturing his vocal chords one bit in the name of art. His vocals are quite bad but the fact that he isn't afraid to experiment and do what he does makes him the greatest vocalist in my opinion.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:30 pm 

LiveForDoom wrote:
I look up to Attila/Atilla Csihar and all of Moonspell. Moonspell are my essence put to music and Atilla/Attila is the greatest worst vocalist of all time. He doesn't mind torturing his vocal chords one bit in the name of art. His vocals are quite bad but the fact that he isn't afraid to experiment and do what he does makes him the greatest vocalist in my opinion.

His vocals on Tormentor - Recipe ferrum are insane. It is probably my favourite record with him, really original, funny and catchy.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:50 am 

PHIL LYNOTT
Phil and his music mean so much to me.
Firstly because he is the first black man I knew of playing rock n' roll-before I'd ever heard of Jimi Hendrix.
He just had a very soulful edge he brought to the music-so desperate, like he was begging to be appreciated.
I always respected what he did and how Thin Lizzy's sound developed through the years-a true genius! May his soul rest in peace.

Anthelnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:30 am 

Abbath - because he's Abbath (and partly due to the fact that he is, in fact god (or satan), or more likely Thor with an insanely fast pick of lightning

Michael Amott - OMFG MELODies!!!1!

Ulver (yea when Bergtatt was released Ulver was actually a single motherfucking entity of pure goodness) - love the vocal harmonies, acoustic shit, and the atmosphere, so different from conventional black metal

Trey Azagthoth/David Vincent - Trey cause of his 2 billion insane solos per song (Altars of Madness) which complement the mood very well, and Vincent mostly due to the part from Chapel of Ghouls "DEMOOOONNNNSSSS, ATTACK WITH HATE!!!! SATAAAAAAAAN, IN THE FIRES OF HELL AWAITS!!!" :headbang:

And the bassist in my band, cause he's better than both us guitar players combined AT GUITAR

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:52 am 

I concur with all the Iommi and Dio mentions, absolutely legends. If I was to follow a religion, it'd be Ioddioism!

I'd also like to add Nattefrost, my alcohol soaked, heroin junkie of an idol! His ability to do whatever the hell he wants is just awe inspiring and Carpathian Forest is one of my favourite bands. CUNT CUNT GIMME MORE!

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:38 pm 

i need to add John McEntee to my list next with DismembeR

perseverance, dedication, benevolence, sincerity and honesty
read this interview to get a better idea of just a few of his personality traits that make him a fellow worth looking up to: http://www.metalmaniacs.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=86

Lich_King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:06 pm 

I think STEVE HARRIS is probably the single person most responsible for advancing metal in leaps and bounds. His songwriting is innovative, incredible, and now wholly classic. The guy should be cloned and put back to work in ten different bands.

GARY HOLT has written some of the best riffs in all of metal, and regularly shows that he knows what beats to lay them up against. I'm amazed that more people aren't aping him shamelessly (as I do).

SCOTT IAN wallows in the pleasure of a stompy fucking mosh riff, and does it for the fun of it. Evil, destruction, none of that shit seems to come into it. He comes up with (or used to, at least) some stellar stomp riffs and you can see him having a great time when he's playing.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:42 pm 

hahaha am i the minority that goes deeper than the music for my reasoning?...

MadassAlex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:25 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:
hahaha am i the minority that goes deeper than the music for my reasoning?...

Off your high-horse, mister.

As for my choices:

Marty Friedman, for being a phenomenal guitarist and showing that you can reach virtuosity through compositional effort and technical patience rather than fretting (puns, lol) over doing things perfectly every time. His advice is to play music and have fun doing it, so that you always come back to the guitar. And that works for me, rather than spending hours a day doing boring runs.
Plus, he was in Megadeth during their peak, quit to pursue a career in a ridiculously different genre, did so, and event hosted a j-rock/heavy metal guitar-oriented TV show in Japan. Where Megadeth showed his technical talents, his show inspired me as it displayed just how flexible he is as a musician.

Kiko Loureiro. An alternate-picking, hybrid-picking, arpeggio-sweeping technical fiend with the musicality to nuke an indie convention. What else is there to say? He rips shit up with the absolute best of them and is more musically interesting than most.
Watch him play and you'll notice that he's got a very rare technical gift in his deftness with the guitar. His hand lightly glides over the neck and the guitar produces noise. It's almost like he's not even pressing down the frets sometimes.
Plus, Angra kicks absolute ass.

I'd like to also mention Bruce Dickinson, Tony Iommi and Chuck Schuldiner for reasons already stated.

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:06 pm 

Bump.

Satanic_Freedom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:55 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
I concur with all the Iommi and Dio mentions, absolutely legends. If I was to follow a religion, it'd be Ioddioism!

I'd also like to add Nattefrost, my alcohol soaked, heroin junkie of an idol! His ability to do whatever the hell he wants is just awe inspiring and Carpathian Forest is one of my favourite bands. CUNT CUNT GIMME MORE!

Hahaha yes Nattefrost is quite a character. When I first heard of this band I figured they would be a very sententious band just by the name Carpathian Forest, I started listening and read the lyrics and I laughed my ass off, and then I listened to his self titled work lol, even funnier.

Smaugath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:13 pm 

thejuicebitch wrote:

I cant add more to that. I love the new kind of Black Metal wave he is creating since The Cult is Alive, FOAD and Dark Thrones and Black Flags. Bands like Deathhammer came and a couple of others. I personally hope that there are more bands coming that imitate the style of 'Modern' Darkthrone and Deathhammer.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:18 pm 

Dee Snider of Twisted Sister fame has always been a cool lad in the early heavy metal scene. While his band became a mainstream fad, Dee Snider always seemed to have this suave laid back rebellious attitude. The fact that he dressed in drag and didn't come off as a glam metal band was cool as well. The biggest and most admirable thing about him is how he was targeted as a person to talk to Tipper Gore and the PMRC coalition on banning "obscene" music and putting a sticker label on CD's warning of explicit content. He didn't come off as a typical "fuck you I'm a rock star" sort of dude, but he sounded very educated and poise. I'm not a fan of Twisted Sister's music, but I've always had a liking for Dee Snider.

Justin Broadrick of Godflesh is another person I look up to in the metal end of music. He didn't follow suit with the metal scene back in the days, wanting to make slow heavy music driven by a drum machine. Plus, his views and lyrics always appealed to me. I met him once at a Jesu show; he signed two Jesu posters I bought at the show and I literally told him "I will take these to my grave, you are the man in Godflesh and Jesu..." Wow what a wanker fan boy I sounded like.

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next