Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RandyJames16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:47 am 

REFLUX - I completely recommend this band. Progressive Metalcore from DC with strong Jazz influence. I don't see why they aren't in the database. They only recorded one album, 'The Illusion Of Democracy' (Prosthetic Records), and have pretty much dissipated :-( All I know of their lineup today is that they're vocalist (Ash Avildsen) is a manager for many bands and organizes the Summer Slaughter tour, their guitarist (Tosin Abasi) went back to school and is supposed to release a solo album sometime, and their bassist (Evan Brewer) now plays bass for Animosity (CA).

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:57 pm 

Legacii wrote:
I need some help looking for the name of this band I saw last month on On Demand.
It was a typical metalcore band, whose vocalist was a black woman with long dreadlocks.
Anybody know what band I'm talking about?

Could've possibly been Wicked Wisdom, Will Smith's wife's band. And no, I'm not kidding.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:14 pm 

bloody_spike wrote:
Legacii wrote:
I need some help looking for the name of this band I saw last month on On Demand.
It was a typical metalcore band, whose vocalist was a black woman with long dreadlocks.

Could've possibly been Wicked Wisdom, Will Smith's wife's band. And no, I'm not kidding.

It was Wicked Wisdom... horrible fucking band. Me and my friends watched this video for kicks.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:11 pm 

I have a question regarding Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer: At the end of the track "Gravedancer", there is a sample of some guy yelling, and a few women who sound scared, but at times they start laughing. It all sounds like a stage play, really. I've listened to this album a number of times, and I have no idea what it is or how it fits into the album. If anyone can give me some insight, that would be appreciated.

It's not a crucial thing, but I've never seen the connection to the sample and the album. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

UndefinedSolace
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:39 pm 

RevBau wrote:
bloody_spike wrote:
Legacii wrote:

It was Wicked Wisdom... horrible fucking band. Me and my friends watched this video for kicks.

Actually, I think he is talking about the metalcore band Straight Line Stitch. Their lead singer is a black woman with really long dreads. I think they have a profile on here.

redeemerofchaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:15 am 

I'm looking for a good prog grindcore band with more intellectual lyrics with strong death metal influences.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:17 am 

Why is Grindcore lumped with these two genres?

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:21 am 

Just to make things easier I guess.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:21 am 

WinterBliss wrote:
Why is Grindcore lumped with these two genres?

all-core + metal derivations.

RandyJames16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:49 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I have a question regarding Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer: At the end of the track "Gravedancer", there is a sample of some guy yelling, and a few women who sound scared, but at times they start laughing. It all sounds like a stage play, really. I've listened to this album a number of times, and I have no idea what it is or how it fits into the album. If anyone can give me some insight, that would be appreciated.

It's not a crucial thing, but I've never seen the connection to the sample and the album. :)

I don't think it's linked with the concept of the album or the "Natasha" story very much or at all, but it does add to the atmosphere of the album in a very disturbing and twisted way. Pretty much, PxDx are getting darker and more experimental, for instance, adding samplist Blake Harrison and recording a 35 minute long doom song. That's my take on it.

Saethiaal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:30 am 

I'm looking for some grindcore that has really strong strong punk influences rather than death ones.

Thanks.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:39 am 

Try early Extreme Noise Terror (particularly Holocaust in Your Head) and Nuclear Death Terror to begin. :thumbsup:

ENT are basically the top of the grind pack.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:01 am 

I need some grindcore or deathgrind similar to Symphonies of Sickness. Similar in all aspects, the production, the vocals, the awesomeness etc. I haven't been able to find a single album similar to it :(

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:09 pm 

MegaHassan wrote:
I need some grindcore or deathgrind similar to Symphonies of Sickness. Similar in all aspects, the production, the vocals, the awesomeness etc. I haven't been able to find a single album similar to it :(

And you're not likely to, because of it's high levels of awesomeness. :(

The closest I've found is Gore Metal by Exhumed. Don't know if you've heard them but they have two vocalists - one raspy and one guttural (fairly similar to the Jeff Walker/Bill Steer style).
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:26 pm 

foz45139 wrote:
The closest I've found is Gore Metal by Exhumed. Don't know if you've heard them but they have two vocalists - one raspy and one guttural (fairly similar to the Jeff Walker/Bill Steer style).

You could also try "We Came For The Dead" by Ghoul - probably a stretch though.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:35 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I have a question regarding Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer: At the end of the track "Gravedancer", there is a sample of some guy yelling

I always thought it was a gathering of friends, with a Vincent Price movie in the background. Her scream is beautiful - then the pittiful, "sorry..." Great stuff.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:36 pm 

Can I get some good recommendations for anarchist grindcore (and if they're anarcho-capitalists, that's even better), but nothing that has a drum machine that sounds like someone winding a music box way too quickly or anything. Maybe some groove without being too tame would be cool.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:43 pm 

Saethiaal wrote:
I'm looking for some grindcore that has really strong strong punk influences rather than death ones.
Thanks.

Insect Warfare - World Extermination. For once, the hype says it best, "This stuff needs to be heard to be believed." From their tone to their performance, this is exactly what you are requesting.
Kill The Client - Cleptocracy. Only their tone reminds me of death metal. The music is a flawless fusion of grind riffs and powerviolence. One of the vocalists rasps like a punker, too.
Rotten Sound - From Crust til Grind. Before Murderworks/Exit, RxSx played d-beat grind. 40 songs total, only the last 5 sound like Murderworks.

I would never say ENT are "the top of the grind pack" but Holocaust in your Head is a fine ride.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:47 pm 

doom_monger wrote:
Can I get some good recommendations for anarchist grindcore (and if they're anarcho-capitalists, that's even better), but nothing that has a drum machine that sounds like someone winding a music box way too quickly or anything. Maybe some groove without being too tame would be cool.

You wont find any anarcho capitalist grindcore, maybe musicians who are but no bands.

Saethiaal wrote:

Both of you should look at Disrupt's works. This band has extremely little death metal or metal at all in their works other than maybe some drumming and vocals. Extremely influenced by Siege and others of that similar style and influence
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:57 pm 

I second Disrupt. "Unrest" is 50 minutes of pleasure. Little to no blasting but loads of grind.

ibeast666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:57 pm 

The metalcore/deathcore or any other form of -core I listen to are:

-All Shall Perish (last album is a bit less catchy, but the content, technicality, brutality, vocals (fucking soprano in one song) and interludes have changed greatly, for the better, but I think I still prefer The Price of Existence, though I'm not sure about that yet)
-All That Remains (The last album was alot less enjoyable than the previous one, though there are a couple of jems.)
- As Blood Runs Black (Really great deathcore band, Allegiance is a fucking brutal album and technical album, that drummer is probably one of the best I've ever heard.)
-As I Lay Dying (They're mainly just really fucking catchy, which is a thing I enjoy in music. That is, if you know their best songs, the others are pretty crap.)
-Atreyu (Not only do I listen to 'em, they're one of my favorite bands.)
-Avenged Sevenfold (Same as Atreyu I'm afraid. Yes I know I'm not making myself popular around here with this post)
-Becoming the Archetype (I never thought I'd enjoy a Christian band. But these guys, they're simply Wow.)
-Bulle.......... never mind.
-Caliban (one of the best German bands I know, together with Heaven Shall Burn and Haggard.)
-Cataract (Now this is true metalcore. They're kind of the Slayer sound-alike of metalcore.)
-Chimaira (Dunno if the last couple of albums are metalcore or not, but those are the albums I enjoy, especially the latest album, it's fucking awesome)
-Despised Icon (They're very metal for a deathcore band, but the two vocalists aren't really necessary, they sound pretty much the same)
-Drop Dead Gorgeous (They're probably some emo/deathcore mix, sounds pretty awefull, I know, but I enjoy them.)
-Enter Shikari (some sort of techno/metalcore mix, very enjoyable)
-God Forbid (One of the best in the metalcore genre)
-Heaven Shall Burn (Like I said, one of the better german bands (or were they swiss?))
-Job for a Cowboy (pretty standard deathcore, not very good, but okay)
-Killswitch Engage (I enjoy some songs)
-Neaera (Fucking great deathcore/metalcore whatever. Also german I believe.)
-Parkway Drive (I enjoy them. Also, the intro to Don't Close Your Eyes is very awesome.)
-Protest The Hero (Once you get over the vocals, they're awesome)
-Suicide Silence (mostly just noise, but enjoyable enough)
-The Devil Wears Prada (Deathcore with occasional whiny emo vocals, though they're pretty good.)
-The Human Abstract (Mathcore in the vein of protest the hero, though the vocals are a bit less irritating at the beginning)
-Underoath (I enjoy the new stuff, I'm afraid, still have to check out the old stuff most people say is good.)
-Unearth (the new album is very awesome, still undecided about which is my favorite, the new one or the previous.)
-Whitechapel (they're pretty good.)

Yes, I know I listen to alot of -core, I even left a couple of bands out, but don't worry, if I'd have to make a list of real metalbands I listen to, it would be 5 times as long.

Edit: Suicidal Tendencies is one of my favorite bands, but they don't really fit in this thread I guess.

Satanic_Freedom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:10 pm 

TheJester wrote:
The only metalcore that I sometimes enjoy listening to is the first album of The Human Abstract. Mainly for the last song on the CD, "Vela, Together We Await the Storm", but I still bought the CD and I enjoy it.

Wooo.

Also, I have to be in the right mood, but I can enjoy some of Killswitch Engage's material every now and again. I bought some of their CDs when I was still but a wee hatchling in the world of metal, and I have kind of despised them ever since I heard their "version" of Holy Diver.

"Fixation on the Darkness" is and always will be their best song for me.

Oh dude thanks for mentioning that, I've been trying to remember the name of that band for like 3 years.

DisembowelMe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:49 pm 

doom_monger wrote:
Can I get some good recommendations for anarchist grindcore

Icelandic black/death/punk grindcore band Forgarður Helvítis should work. Fucking love them. Most intense band I've seen live. Played before Cannibal Corpse when they came here, and definitely owned them in terms of sheer awesomeness.

Get their full length. Their older stuff isn't as good as that, but should work if you like the more old-school stuff.

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:37 pm 

Saethiaal wrote:

Thanks.

Maybe Skitsystem.

promqueen666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:58 pm 

All That Remains are nothing special. i bought Fall Of Ideals about 3 months back and in all honestly i thought it was rubbish. plus they enjoy being posers.... but i guess they have some talent.

Parkway Drive, I Killed The Prom Queen, Misery Signals, Bleeding Through, The Ghost Inside that shit is good metalcore! screw you if you dont like em.

promqueen666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:01 pm 

frozenaeons! sorry mate! i replied to the wrong person, my apologies. but since ive told you bout those bands...go look em up =)

xbillx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:01 pm 

i agree but you know what else
sucks black metal

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:44 am 

xbillx wrote:
sucks black metal

:???:

Anyway, has anyone else noticed a big interest in crossover, grindcore, crust punk and hardcore coming out of places like Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines? I found this one band which was very interesting and could be a lot better with a bit better production and experience :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGS-p8b7bIU
http://www.myspace.com/kablasangkay

I'm hoping if someone direct me in the direct of some quality and possibly more "professional" grindcore acts from these countries?

Saethiaal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:57 am 

Thanks for all the recs, i'm familiar with ENT and Insect Warfare.. Both very good bands. But i'll check out these other bands :thumbsup:

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:26 am 

206 wrote:
foz45139 wrote:

You could also try "We Came For The Dead" by Ghoul - probably a stretch though.

I tried that Ghoul album but its a bit too modern in the production and not sloppy, muddy and crappy enough. Oh, what I'd give for an album as sick in production as SoS :(

I'll try Exhumed.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:07 am 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
xbillx wrote:
sucks black metal

Anyway, has anyone else noticed a big interest in crossover, grindcore, crust punk and hardcore coming out of places like Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines? I found this one band which was very interesting and could be a lot better with a bit better production and experience :

I'm hoping if someone direct me in the direct of some quality and possibly more "professional" grindcore acts from these countries?

I recommend you to get Vormit from Malaysia. Awesome grindcore band. There's a review giving their debut album 80% here in MA. Also check out Tools of the trade and Negation. Good stuff. The drummer for Tools Of The Trade has a deathcore side project but I can't remember it's name.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:06 am 

Saethiaal wrote:

Thanks.

Spazz - Crush.Kill.Destroy

Highly punk influenced grind/powerviolence.

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:57 am 

promqueen666 wrote:
frozenaeons! sorry mate! i replied to the wrong person, my apologies. but since ive told you bout those bands...go look em up =)

No worries. I'll pass on looking up those bands :P

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:39 pm 

Quote:
I tried that Ghoul album but its a bit too modern in the production and not sloppy, muddy and crappy enough.

I knew it was a stretch. There is a slew of Australian grind that meets your Sloppy/Muddy/Crappy requirements :D

Quote:

Based on the recs you are getting, I would direct you to Slap A Ham records. Nothing but goodness.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:29 am 

206 wrote:
Quote:

Based on the recs you are getting, I would direct you to Slap A Ham records. Nothing but goodness.

Run by Chris Dodge, bass player in Spazz! Was looking at their Discography on Wikipedia, and they have put out records from some awesome bands there. I love all those raw sounding powerviolence bands . Fuck On The Beach, Crossed Out, Capitalist Casualties, Man Is The Bastard.

incarcerated_demon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:51 am 

I've just heard Phobia's latest, 22 ACTS OF RANDOM VIOLENCE, and it's superb grindcore/death - it might actually be the album to kickstart my interest in grindcore!

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:43 am 

wigglygore wrote:
206 wrote:
Quote:

Run by Chris Dodge, bass player in Spazz! Was looking at their Discography on Wikipedia, and they have put out records from some awesome bands there. I love all those raw sounding powerviolence bands . Fuck On The Beach, Crossed Out, Capitalist Casualties, Man Is The Bastard.

Great bands the lot of them!

If you aren't currently worshipping at the throne of Infest however, you may as well die.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:35 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
HumanWaste5150 wrote:
xbillx wrote:
sucks black metal

I recommend you to get Vormit from Malaysia. Awesome grindcore band. There's a review giving their debut album 80% here in MA. Also check out Tools of the trade and Negation. Good stuff. The drummer for Tools Of The Trade has a deathcore side project but I can't remember it's name.

Thanks, I'll check out those bands, man. Another good band from that area, http://www.myspace.com/gattcrusher Indonesia this time.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:46 pm 

incarcerated_demon wrote:
I've just heard Phobia's latest, 22 ACTS OF RANDOM VIOLENCE, and it's superb grindcore/death - it might actually be the album to kickstart my interest in grindcore!

Nice one. I highly recommend Cruel. I rate it slightly better than 22, but more importantly, the style/production is so similar that you can burn them both to one disk and never really notice the difference. The slowest track on Cruel is the last one, Numb, so it acts as the perfect fulcrum.

Grind Your Fucking Head In is also a nice one, but more raw, sloppy in presentation and production. Fantastic introduction to the genre.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:49 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
If you aren't currently worshipping at the throne of Infest however, you may as well die.

Can't die, too busy worshipping the throne of Crossed Out - Crossed Out.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next