Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:22 am 

So I've recently been getting into these guys, hailed as doom/sludge/drone gods from Japan (who, mind you, sing in Spanish). And I must say, I am loving everything from them. From the short, heavy as fuck songs present on their splits/EP's to the nearly hour long opuses of crushing doom insanity laced with mellow, acoustic parts that make up their full-lengths, they bring the win.

I'd rather devote my hour to listening to El Mundo Frio or Paso Inferior than class.

The eye can outstare neither the sun, nor death... if I sought God it was in delirium and in the delight of temptation.

AnthologyMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:39 am 

What kind of metal is this band?

strongbad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:45 am 

AnthologyMetal wrote:
What kind of metal is this band?

first line of the op...

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:53 am 

One of my favorite bands as well. El mundo frío is my favorite, absolutely droning and mesmerizing, followed by Llenándose de gusanos. They hardly get any praise around here though.

mikko1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:13 pm 

One of my favorites too. Favorite albums include La Victima es tu Mismo 7", Nadie 10" and El Mundo Frio although every release I have from them is worth owning.

ciboire_de_merde
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:47 pm 

Absolutely excellent band.

My introduction to them was essentially my introduction to monolithic death/doom... I picked up the "Twin Threat to Your Sanity" 4-way split for Dystopia and Noothgrush tracks and the Corrupted track ("Nieve") totally blew me away...so many adjectives related to 'crushing' apply to them, it is dizzying... and that beautifully melancholic riff in "Nieve" was the injection that had me hooked.

I have a large chunk of their discography and nothing of theirs has ever disappointed.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:56 pm 

i've been on a Fleshpress binge for awhile now, and have been meaning to listen to corrupted. I have their split with discordance axis and 324(who are both amazing as well) and that's good. to the OP, you should listen to fleshpress.

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:47 pm 

WinterBliss wrote:
i've been on a Fleshpress binge for awhile now, and have been meaning to listen to corrupted. I have their split with discordance axis and 324(who are both amazing as well) and that's good. to the OP, you should listen to fleshpress.

Fleshpress .. isn't that the doom band that Mikko from Clandestine Blaze is in?

The eye can outstare neither the sun, nor death... if I sought God it was in delirium and in the delight of temptation.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:56 pm 

So does anyone know why they sing in Spanish despite hailing from Japan?

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:16 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:

Who cares? I've never heard of them before but that alone makes them instant win. I love my metal to have a ridiculous streak in it, and what's more ridiculous than a Japanese band performing deathdoom in Spanish?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:17 pm 

ENKC wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Who cares?

Him, clearly.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:30 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:

The actual accuracy and quality of said sung language being highly dubious.

bassethornmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 pm 

I only have "El Paso...", still trying to get into them.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:09 pm 

I first heard about this band when the lead singer of Gallhammer said she loves them. The way she said it was the cutest thing ever: "Corrupted-thees ees bast band evah."

Been wanting to check them out for awhile now.

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:32 am 

I would really suggest getting one of their full-lengths, preferably El Mundo Frio for those who want to get into them/haven't had the chance too. It will definately be an hour and 12 minutes well spent.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:11 am 

vondskapens_makt wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:

Sludge band yeah. First album is the most traditional, the other albums get more spacey and atmospheric; awesome shit. Mikko is a beast at drumming too, on Pillars he throws in a blast beat or two, awesome!

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:04 am 

rexxz wrote:
ENKC wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Who cares?

Him, clearly.

In my experience, some things in life are so awesome, there's no need to question why they come about. The idea itself (ie Japanese metal band singing in Spanish) is reason enough for it's own existence.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

ofstonewindandpillor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:34 pm 

WinterBliss wrote:
vondskapens_makt wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:

Sludge band yeah. First album is the most traditional, the other albums get more spacey and atmospheric; awesome shit. Mikko is a beast at drumming too, on Pillars he throws in a blast beat or two, awesome!

Pillars is an absolutely fantastic album. I haven't been able to find any of their older stuff, but that whole album (especially Omega Monolith, the 20+ minute track which is far more mesmerizing than tedious) is amazing. I recommend it highly.

As far as Corrupted is concerned, I have yet to hear a release from them that I didn't like. I was told that they were going to be on the US tour with Boris this past summer, but I guess that didn't happen.. :(

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:03 pm 

ofstonewindandpillor wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:
vondskapens_makt wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:

Pillars is an absolutely fantastic album. I haven't been able to find any of their older stuff, but that whole album (especially Omega Monolith, the 20+ minute track which is far more mesmerizing than tedious) is amazing. I recommend it highly.

As far as Corrupted is concerned, I have yet to hear a release from them that I didn't like. I was told that they were going to be on the US tour with Boris this past summer, but I guess that didn't happen.. :(

Even better, they toured with

ASUNDER

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:25 pm 

ENKC wrote:
rexxz wrote:
ENKC wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Who cares?

Him, clearly.

In my experience, some things in life are so awesome, there's no need to question why they come about. The idea itself (ie Japanese metal band singing in Spanish) is reason enough for it's own existence.

Why is that "awesome"?

People speaking different languages, fantastic!

ofstonewindandpillor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:46 pm 

vondskapens_makt wrote:

ASUNDER

Fuck! That's just depressing. I bet that was one hell of a show. Did you go see them?

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:57 pm 

vondskapens_makt wrote:

ASUNDER

Fuck! That's just depressing. I bet that was one hell of a show. Did you go see them?

Nah, they played the east coast. I live in NY. My ex-guitarist saw them, said they were fucking amazing, both bands.

:cry:

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:25 pm 

I assume the reasons behind the Spanish lyrics and singing will never be known, since they don't offer interviews, which is a shame. Perhaps its because Spanish is slowly becoming a universal language, making the lyrics more accessible? 'El Mundo Frio' is excellent anyway. Perhaps the only record over an hour I have no problem playing multiple times. I heard Fleshpress only the once, but it didn't strike me as much as Corrupted did. I'll have to start going through their discography again.

Tystvar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:37 am 

The Corrupted/Asunder tour hit the west coast, and it was fucking amazing.
I love Asunder, and had never heard Corrupted before, but Corrupted made Asunder seem like a bunch of pussies. They played El Mundo Frio, and it was next-level crushing. Also got to see Thrones (Joe Preston) and sadly missed Samothrace.

Corrupted are just insanely heavy and infinitely beautiful.

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:23 am 

Tystvar wrote:
I love Asunder, and had never heard Corrupted before, but Corrupted made Asunder seem like a bunch of pussies. They played El Mundo Frio, and it was next-level crushing. Also got to see Thrones (Joe Preston) and sadly missed Samothrace.

Shit, yeah. I meant the west coast. El Mundo Frio is an absolutely beautiful monolith of a song, and were it any other genre I'd wonder how the fuck they memorized all the riffs.

But then again... It's doom. How can one possibly fuck up playing DOOM?

frigidpony
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:38 pm 

Tystvar wrote:

I did a tour of a few dates and caught them in Olympia and Portland. Portland on election day! Chew was asking me questions about Obama, no shit. I've seen Thrones so much but it was still great to see Joe do his vocoder bit. Also Samothrace was pretty fucking amazing. Trees in Portland was a great opener too. Corrupted were so fucking massive, just a wall. I preferred the Oly show because it was less crowded, the crowd at the Satyricon in PDX was shoulder to shoulderback to the merch booth.

I have a lot of the early singles as mp3s, if anyone wants to trade PM me...

kusokurae
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:51 am 

some (maybe lots?) of their stuff is in japanese, for example 'sangre' (the 1st part of llenandose), gekkou no daichi from se hace... and el mundo frio. difficult to tell on most of their stuff though considerng how heavy hevi's vocals are!

i've seen them here in tokyo quite a few times and they've never been less than amazing. seeing them play el mundo frio was great

bassethornmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:51 pm 

Can't get into the only cd I have of them, Paso Inferior, it's on my tradelist if anyone is interested.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.