Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:38 pm 

listening to Puteraeon from Sweden, great pure Swedish DeathMetal.
they currently have two killer demos out and i was just thinking, there's gotta be heaps of great unsigned bands floating around right now. Has anything caught your attention lately?

i'm not talking "decent enough" or "alright" i'm talking demo level bands that are much better than current bands putting out albums on record labels.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:42 pm 

Bolt Stein's effort on the Insect Warfare/Bolt Stein split is extremely well done old school grind. Like their name and profile on MA suggests, think old school Bolt Thrower but total grindcore. Unfortunately, the split is extremely short as it is grindcore :P. I seriously hope to find some of their stuff.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:49 pm 

Solecism
I plug Solecism a lot around here and I have to admit that some of that is related to the fact that the guys in the band are, essentially, my circle of friends. Even so, their music is fantastic, integrating black, brutal death, and doom metal into a progressive melodic death metal setting. They've got a dark, introspective sound and some fantastic songwriting. Definitely check them out.

Diamond Plate
Everybody knows these guys, it seems, but they bear another mention. They are literally one of the best thrash bands I've ever seen and they haven't even fucking graduated from high school yet! Their EP doesn't really do them justice, though. You haven't lived until you've seen Diamond Plate live.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 pm 

Sakrificer

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:54 pm 

Please don't just list, Nolan_B. You know the rules already, man.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:57 pm 

Prosanctus Inferi is my favorite current one. They play an absolutely savage brand of stripped-down, raw black/death metal. Imagine if Nunslaugter was even more raw and had more black metal-styled tremolo riffs, and you'll probably get a good idea. Really, really intense stuff.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:00 am 

I'm really into this band thats not to far from where I live. They are called 137 and have 2 EP's out. One is free for download at thier homepage and the other you can buy. It's called FCC (Forced Controled Culture) and is really awesome. Think of Black Sabbath if they had a death metal vocalist.

http://www.myspace.com/137

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:02 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Prosanctus Inferi is my favorite current one. They play an absolutely savage brand of stripped-down, raw black/death metal. Imagine if Nunslaugter was even more raw and had more black metal-styled tremolo riffs, and you'll probably get a good idea. Really, really intense stuff.

oh godamn, now we're talkin'!!!

about Puteraeon, http://www.myspace.com/puteraeon
each demo is only $5, so give him more haha!

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:09 am 

Cormorant, from California, are a really talented young band who play original and rather epic melodic death metal. There are surprisingly already 5 reviews for their debut EP on MA, all with high praise.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:15 am 

I'm really digging this local black metal band called Witch King. They have alot of old school influence in their sound yet retain their own style. Another plus: it's not bedroom BM! It's actually a full band.

Their newer recordings sound much better than the old stuff.

Listen to Cryptic Texts and watch the youtube video

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:50 am 

I noticed and came in contact with one of the frequent users here, Diamhea, and his band The Vala. If you like that style of music they're certainly a band to watch out for, which I do enjoy.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=93910

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 am 

If my memory serves correct, Havok is still unsigned, after like what? 6 years of being together. Crazy shit. Solid, bouncy thrash metal a la Nuclear Assault.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:02 am 

I hate to plug bands I know and work with but Lethal Strike have to be one of the best thrash bands I have heard. Oldschool sounding, no bullshit thrash that makes you want to headbang. They should be releasing a demo soon and have some shows coming up as well. I would check them out if you have the chance or are in the NJ / NY area. For a bunch of 17-19 year olds, they can really lay down some vicious thrash.

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:04 am 

CountBlagorath wrote:
I'm really into this band thats not to far from where I live. They are called 137 and have 2 EP's out. One is free for download at thier homepage and the other you can buy. It's called FCC (Forced Controled Culture) and is really awesome. Think of Black Sabbath if they had a death metal vocalist.

http://www.myspace.com/137

137 is pretty cool, I've seen them a few times though not recently and I met their singer a couple times. Where are you from?

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:13 am 

Soliton is some pretty uplifting Ukrainian heavy metal - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TDCQIV2A

Not to mention several from FreeMetalAlbums and the two (one now) artists in my signature.

The other artist I mentioned was Dimaension X

Last edited by mrchris on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:14 am 

I've been checking out this local band called Nihlotep (http://www.myspace.com/nihlotep). We're doing a show with them in a month or so, and I think their stuff is pretty good so far. Plus, I've met the guys in the band and they're all very cool, rather than the pompous elitist asshole kind of persona that is often associated with this kind of music. If I could compare them, it would be like Averse Sefira in terms of timbre/aesthetic, and Crimson Massacre for structure, or something. Actually, I can't really think of a good comparison right now, I'll have to get back to that.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:21 am 

Endless Vomit from Athens Ohio ( www.myspace.com/endlessvomit ) have a friend of mine. I don't know what their deal is lately as they seem to have dropped off a bit (other projects, personal lives, etc.) but apparently they're recording a demo in January and hopefully my band will be doing a split with them once they record.

They released some random 2 song demo but I can't find a copy of it anywhere to submit them to the archives. They play a pretty tight modern thrash/melodic death metal fairly similar to Skeletonwitch (also from Athens) and The Crown.

Last edited by BardInTheForest on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:42 am 

There's tons of bands I can think of.

National Suicide from Italy. Old school sounding thrash metal! A buddy of mine introduced them to me, and i've talked with them on a few occasions! Great guys!
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsuicidethrash

Spazmosity from Sweden. Black/death metal band. Johan from Amon Amarth and I were talking about them recently. I picked up their demo Storm Metal years back and loved it, when I noticed he was wearing their t-shirt in a recent photo shoot. Great stuff.
http://www.myspace.com/spazmosity

Candy Striper Death Orgy from USA. Thrash band from the 80's who have never gotten out a full length album after about 20 years of material and existence. I talk with Eric from time to time at shows, and got some promotional stuff from him. I've managed to find two demos on my own (he no longer has copies) and seen them live, definitely a worthwhile band that doesn't get the respect it deserves.
http://www.myspace.com/candystriperdeathorgy

From the Shadows (the one from New Hampshire). A band heavily influenced by the likes of Iron Maiden and Helloween and such. Pretty good, quite professional. Two very close friends of mine have over the years joined as guitarists, and i've come to be good friends with the vocalist through talking with him at shows. Definitely a good band. Opened for Sonata Arctica, Firewind, and plenty others a while back, but unfortunately never got the recognition they deserve from labels.
http://www.myspace.com/fromtheshadowsne

Alcoholocaust from New Hampshire. A black/thrash band similar to bathory, sodom, and hellhammer in the area who have let me sit in during some of their practices. Pretty cool stuff to check out. They don't have much as far as recordings go except a couple rehearsal tapes, but they should be coming out with a split in a month or so with another band from the area, definitely worth checking out their stuff. To my knowledge they don't have a website or anything online though.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:16 am 

Battue from Germany are the best so far in my opinion. I've been digging them for almost 3 years now, I think. Somewhere along those lines.

Star Insight are also pretty cool. They're basically a softer version of Children of Bodom, but they are so much better at crafting songs.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:06 am 

Usthen
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=39002
They have only demos to the date. They plays nice, progressive vein of black metal

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:44 am 

The Only I can think of is
Roses Bleed Thorns
Awesome Melo Death band from finland :D

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:47 am 

Ne Obliviscaris. 'Progressive' Black Metal from Australia. Only got a demo out which is VERY highly praised (maybe even overrated?) but nevertheless it is very interesting stuff and I look forward to hearing more from these guys in the future.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:11 am 

thomash wrote:
Solecism
I plug Solecism a lot around here and I have to admit that some of that is related to the fact that the guys in the band are, essentially, my circle of friends. Even so, their music is fantastic, integrating black, brutal death, and doom metal into a progressive melodic death metal setting. They've got a dark, introspective sound and some fantastic songwriting. Definitely check them out.

Diamond Plate
Everybody knows these guys, it seems, but they bear another mention. They are literally one of the best thrash bands I've ever seen and they haven't even fucking graduated from high school yet! Their EP doesn't really do them justice, though. You haven't lived until you've seen Diamond Plate live.

Seconding this post. I still don't understand why Solecism hasn't been approached by a label yet, especially considering Allen's ties to other musicians.

Diamond Plate... well, I'm sporting a Diamond Plate shirt today. They opened for Overkill and Warbringer... and probably gave the best performance of the night. Never have I been so impressed with such a live performance.

DrSharK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:26 am 

Revocation! They have released the best technical death metal album of this year, disagree and you suck. http://www.myspace.com/revocation

~Guest 153339
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:37 am 

Zebulon Kosted - Have to give props to this guy. He releases shitloads of his own creative music (an album a month), he also is also running his own record label, Kapustin Yar Records, where he releases his music and other underground acts on. Now that's pretty impressive stuff. He is VERY involved with the underground and posts on many underground black metal profiles on myspace, so you might of seen the name before. If you didn't check it out yet, I suggest you do so immediately.

http://www.myspace.com/zebulonkosted

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:40 am 

steady666 wrote:
Ne Obliviscaris. 'Progressive' Black Metal from Australia. Only got a demo out which is VERY highly praised (maybe even overrated?) but nevertheless it is very interesting stuff and I look forward to hearing more from these guys in the future.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:53 am 

Bezerko wrote:
steady666 wrote:

flyer

Where'd you get that? That is terrible. I can't believe people would do that. Sure, people can have opinions but doing this is a bit far. Why don't they something better with their time?

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:03 am 

ne obliviscaris goddamit!!!!!!!

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:06 am 

steady666 wrote:
Bezerko wrote:
steady666 wrote:

flyer

Where'd you get that? That is terrible. I can't believe people would do that. Sure, people can have opinions but doing this is a bit far. Why don't they something better with their time?

LOL!!!!!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:07 am 

steady666 wrote:

Unfortunately, some people do not. That flyer is the very thing he's against - gayness in metal.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:10 am 

AleXTreme wrote:
steady666 wrote:
Bezerko wrote:
steady666 wrote:

flyer

LOL!!!!!

What is amusing?

MikeyC wrote:
steady666 wrote:

Unfortunately, some people do not. That flyer is the very thing he's against - gayness in metal.

I don't understand what you are saying.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:15 am 

steady666 wrote:
I don't understand what you are saying.

I mean, unfortunately, some people do not have better things to do with their time. And that the flyer is gay. :D

EDIT: Fuck, I'll get the quote right in a minute....

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:33 am 

You people have no sense of humour!

I got it from a South Australian metal fanzine (hail the Black Goat!).

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:42 am 

Bezerko wrote:
You people have no sense of humour!

I got it from a South Australian metal fanzine (hail the Black Goat!).

That rules. Somebody should do that about Wolven Ancestry in BWBK magazine.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:50 am 

Evil Sheppard. Great thrash metal, better than most modern thrash bands.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =402858189

Affliction Gate. Old school death metal done right. Great music, reccomended to anyone who digs old school DM.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =384183100

Odyssey. Prog/Power Metal. Just released a pop cover song as a single.
http://purevolume.com/odysseyprog

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:30 am 

Torture Division
Could become a big name in the future, veteran lineup, excellent brutal swedish death metal, not very original to say the least but they really stand out for me nonetheless.
their two demos are downloadable for free from their site.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:09 am 

Lyrinx are a great band from the UK which has yet to release any full lengths. They have one demo, one EP/demo (listed on MA as an EP but on most other places I've seen as a demo) and were featured on two splits.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=55923

They play what could be called depressive black metal, except with all the negative stereotypes removed, which just leaves a raw, bleak, and metal as fuck sound which is just plain awesome and contains some really great riffing.

Nihilistic purity is the shit. :headbang:
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:10 am 

The_Boss wrote:
I noticed and came in contact with one of the frequent users here, Diamhea, and his band The Vala. If you like that style of music they're certainly a band to watch out for, which I do enjoy.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=93910

:thumbsup:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:49 pm 

From my hometown, I gotta give thumbs up to the band Spoken In Fire.
My band recently tore up the stage with them, and they fucking SHRED!

Technical death metal, fucking sick. Anybody want a demo? I got 3 left to hand out.... but then again 3 isn't very much.

http://www.myspace.com/spokeninfire

Check them out, you might just enjoy it ;)

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:00 pm 

SPAM FOR SATAN! Wow.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next