Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
alcholocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:55 am 

Wasn't there a big spill about Bullet For My Valentine playing there a few years ago? I guess Wacken likes more money in their pockets as we all do though.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:32 am 

Negru_Voda wrote:

Lyrici17 wrote:
I am by no means a big Avenged Sevenfold fan, especially any of their material after their first two albums (though I will admit to owning their first three)

Jesus, and I can barely afford to get CDs by bands I actually like.

Well, in my defense, I liked them considerably more when I bought those albums.... though, that may not actually make me sound better...

MadassAlex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:14 am 

The big deal with Avenged Sevenfold is how they're a wasted effort on all fronts:

- No intensity
- Over-poppy with not enough metal elements
- Guitarists can barely play their stuff
- Described commonly as "punk metal", urgh
- The vocalist sounds like an old lady when he tries to do extreme vocals

Avenged Sevenfold has been redundant since other melodic metal bands were better than them. Which starts with Iron Maiden. So basically, they were always pointless at best and, at worst, utter shit and scene.

In fact, the whole band is an attempt to appeal to the modern "emo" crowd while throwing in some melodic metal elements. Uncool.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:21 am 

Really, I find it hard even to describe A7X as metalcore. To me they sound like heavier pop-punk, with the occasional hardcore scream. Which, actually, sounds sort of like a vacuum cleaner.

Satanic_Freedom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:32 pm 

Avenged Sevenfold isn't even a metal band, they are a self professed hard rock band. And I don't understand what a shitty band like this would be at a metal festival. Its an embarassment.

MuffinMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:51 pm 

Is this really a big issue?
There are still good bands playing at Wacken. It is like complaining a fat girl went to see a fashion show.

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:08 pm 

Cathedral will make up for any short comings that festival will face (judging by the band roster so far - a lot!). ;)

Shantideva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:31 pm 

Possibly not relevant, but this reminds me of a conversation me and my friend were having once. We were driving out in the Poconos at night, speeding along to power metal, and my friend said he'd want to go to a Manowar concert, but he'd end up just getting so pumped he'd start a ton of fights. Well, I said, who would you fight with? It would all be other Metal fans? They'd have to have another, shittier, concert there so you could fight them.

Seems Avenged Sevenfold has stepped up to the plate ;)

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:26 am 

Who cares? You don't like them, don't watch them - it's as simple as that. You're always going to get a festival with 40 good bands and a couple shitty ones.

Lady_Gorgoroth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:31 am 

It's not like there aren't SEVERAL other actually decent bands there-as well as the fact that you don't have to watch them.
Yes, they're a piece of shit but they're manager must be genius in order to pull some strings for them to even set foot on a Wacken stage.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:32 am 

Lady_Gorgoroth wrote:
It's not like there aren't SEVERAL other actually decent bands there-as well as the fact that you don't have to watch them.
Yes, they're a piece of shit but they're manager must be genius in order to pull some strings for them to even set foot on a Wacken stage.

Or the Wacken promoters are just hungry for that money that they bring in?

redeemerofchaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:33 am 

Wacken lost it long ago.

Necroticism89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:55 am 

I wonder how many of the people who bang on about Wacken having lost it have actually been to Wacken...

Big whoop, there was 2 or 3 bands who are Mainstream and not very good, that's the beauty of European festivals, there's other bands on! Go watch them! Or go get drunk or something!

I hate Avenged Sevenfold and wasn't very happy with their inclusion either but I can see why, it's the same as Slayer putting Trivium as a support band, it will make more people come. And why not? The festival is organised so that they can get people to come! You don't think that they put this festival on so that they can fail and fall short of money every year, putting themselves into debt? The organisers have to pay Wacken for usage of their town for 4 days (And rightly so), and do you think that they're going to pull enough punters to cover the cost by putting on bands like Nunslaughter and Satan's Mighty Penis? No. Of course they're going to pick big bands, they want people to turn up!

All the people who willfully ignored the fact that Carcass, At The Gates, Kreator, Watain, Primordial, Negura Bunget, Cynic, Obituary etc. all played and said "Wacken is Shite" because you had to sit through AN HOUR of Avenged Sevenfold are quite pathetic.

You probably all thought that they sold out when they got Maiden as headlining, well that was your loss.

christianmetalsite
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:32 pm 

both hatebreed and avenged sevenfold arent even true metal
< <

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:08 pm 

I hope A7X get their asses booed to hell next year.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:29 pm 

Necroticism89 wrote:
I wonder how many of the people who bang on about Wacken having lost it have actually been to Wacken...

Big whoop, there was 2 or 3 bands who are Mainstream and not very good, that's the beauty of European festivals, there's other bands on! Go watch them! Or go get drunk or something!

I hate Avenged Sevenfold and wasn't very happy with their inclusion either but I can see why, it's the same as Slayer putting Trivium as a support band, it will make more people come. And why not? The festival is organised so that they can get people to come! You don't think that they put this festival on so that they can fail and fall short of money every year, putting themselves into debt? The organisers have to pay Wacken for usage of their town for 4 days (And rightly so), and do you think that they're going to pull enough punters to cover the cost by putting on bands like Nunslaughter and Satan's Mighty Penis? No. Of course they're going to pick big bands, they want people to turn up!

All the people who willfully ignored the fact that Carcass, At The Gates, Kreator, Watain, Primordial, Negura Bunget, Cynic, Obituary etc. all played and said "Wacken is Shite" because you had to sit through AN HOUR of Avenged Sevenfold are quite pathetic.

You probably all thought that they sold out when they got Maiden as headlining, well that was your loss.

With all the subventions they have and money from Live Nation they don't need bands like A7X, Wacken was still the biggest festival in 2003 or 2004. Look at Hellfest, they have 5 times better bands with no subventions at least in 2007, 2008 and before. They're still there and attracting more people. The thing too, is the non-german people won't go to Wacken to see A7X or Walls of Jericho, but the german people may, since it costs them far less to attend to the festival.

Look at Hellfest first announced bands, if they were the only bands, I'm pretty positive it would be better than all of Wacken bands this year.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:05 pm 

Honestly, I don't see how Avenged Sevenfold playing Wacken is a big deal.

I'd be glad they were playing if I was going. They would draw all the poseurs away from the good shows, allowing me to get closer to the action for the good bands.

You guys are always thinking so negatively.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:41 pm 

[quote="Necroticism89"] !

quote]

i think theyre projecting their insecurity that they secretly like a few Avenged Sevenfold riffs/melodies and dont want to admit it.

They're not my cup of tee but I'm not going to go on some hateful rant towards Wacken that theyre on it.

What if Warrant was at Wacken for a half an hour in the eighties, along with Watchtower and Kreator and Helloween? Would it make any fucking difference?

ManOfTheKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:04 am 

I'd have no issue with A7X showing up at Wacken, except for the fact that they don't even have a page on this site! How can a band be allowed to play at the world's most greatest metal festival if they can't even be considered metal enough to have a page on the Metal Archives?!? Gee whiz!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:18 am 

thewitchfinder wrote:
Cathedral will make up for any short comings that festival will face (judging by the band roster so far - a lot!). ;)

I love Cathedral. One of my favorite doom bands and also a group that gets surprsingly little discussion. I wish I could attend Wacken if only for the good bands like them.

Slainone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:36 pm 

gotta disagree with the guy above that said A7X used to be good, they've always been metalcore bullshit, but they have actually gotten worse

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:56 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
thewitchfinder wrote:

I love Cathedral. One of my favorite doom bands and also a group that gets surprsingly little discussion. I wish I could attend Wacken if only for the good bands like them.

Check out the Hellfest, for 2009 they have quite some stoner and doom bands like Heaven and hell, grand magus, cathedral, electric wizard, orange goblin and some others I think. It definately kicks Wacken's ass. Besides, it's a lot cheaper, I think the x-mas pack with this years dvd is 110 or 119 euros.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2