Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:55 pm 

Really for me it's whatever I am in the mood to hear, genre doesn't really play a part though I find certain bands fill my feet with lead. :D As for the last cd I had going in the car it was Niden Div. 187's Impergium.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:58 pm 

For someone who could buy those background eliminating earbuds and hook it into an iPod orsomething, they might be inclined to put on Turbo Lover. A shitty album for sure but a good song for the Ninja or Ducati riding metalheads.

ManOfTheKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:21 pm 

My personal favorite driving music is Exodus' Tempo of the Damned, particularly Blacklist and War is My Shephard

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:31 pm 

Just put manowar - wheels of fire on repeat :headbang:

in all seriousness it depends on the car i'm in. If a car only has a tape deck i'll usually grab a random death metal tape, if it's a CD, i'll glance through my CD collection for a couple CD's and figure out which i want to play.

Revengeance
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:39 pm 

I have become aware that it makes me a freak of nature, but my musical inclinations are IDENTICAL in and out of a car. On the other hand, there have been a few songs I have specific memories of driving to...

1. Krux - Pirates: blasted with windows down on the highway (summer)
2. Witchery - Witchery: made me involuntarily bounce around
3. CoC - Rise River Rise: driving home from class in spring
4. Pantera - Floods: my friend kept skipping around to hear certain parts, really pissed me off

I also have countless associations with driving and the Kill Bill 1 soundtrack, Angel by Massive Attack, and a couple random rap songs featuring Zach De La Rocha from my high school years. Oh the days when catchy wasn't boring... how I miss you.

MOE_MACHINEGUNS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:09 am 

Well I got a small system set up in the old jalopy haha,
So I probably listen to more music in my car than anywhere else.
The Queensryche EP is perhaps the best all-aroun road music.
Likewise, playing Nile at 11 provides a relaxing back-massage to ward off road rage.
Immortal/Xasthur at night complete the days automotive listening experience

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:13 am 

AblackanatioN wrote:
Oh and one more thing, you can never go wrong blasting Judas Priest "Painkiller" anytime during the day!

This. Whilst driving I listen to whatever it is I'd be listening to any other time. People at college who've never heard metal before wonder what's hit them when you play 'Painkiller' at ear bleeding volumes in the car park. I played the whole album through like that every day for a week. Yes, I am that awesome.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:18 am 

Krokus
Ted Nugent
L.A. Guns
Pantera
Ozzy
Foreigner
The Eagles
Boston
Bad Company

Whatever...as long as it rocks

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:19 am 

Did you even read the name of the thread correctly agentsteel666?

Sinvocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:22 am 

Thrash is the best driving music. I usually have some Vio-Lence, D666, Nocturnal Breed, Coroner, and Sodom in my car.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:29 am 

I agree with the OP on Covenant, that is such a great album for driving. Pete's bass drum makes me go at least 15 mph over the speed limit and it just never lets up. I was listening to that today on the way to our band's weekly jam session, but this morning I revisited Beneath the Remains after a long time (too long) of not having heard it.

My car's cd changer currently consists of:
Dead Can dance - The Serpent's Egg
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Demilich - Nespithe
Dissection - SotLB
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
Cure - Disintegration

It's good to have some of that more relaxing stuff when you're really stressed out on the road.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:31 am 

invoked wrote:
I agree with the OP on Covenant, that is such a great album for driving. Pete's bass drum makes me go at least 15 mph over the speed limit and it just never lets up. I was listening to that today on the way to our band's weekly jam session, but this morning I revisited Beneath the Remains after a long time (too long) of not having heard it.

My car's cd changer currently consists of:
Dead Can dance - The Serpent's Egg
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Demilich - Nespithe
Dissection - SotLB
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
Cure - Disintegration

It's good to have some of that more relaxing stuff when you're really stressed out on the road.

That wasn't the OP that was my following post of his. Yes, its a damn good cd to play there. I always play The Lion's Den and Angel of Disease the most.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:51 am 

Right now my number one in-car (and to a slightly lesser extent) out-of-car obsession is Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thundergod. When I'll buy a classic M-B S600 a few months from now it's guaranteed to never ever leave my CD changer.

Black Metal is great, especially at night, while atmospheric stuff like Summoning is awesome on the highway. Megadeth's 502 really fits driving as well :headbang:

On a related note, are there any threads about cars?

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:29 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
the16th6toothson wrote:
cruise control is mandatory
especially when listening to Repulsion or Slayer...

usually if i am driving i am on my way to work, so really the only criteria is it will be something between 13 and 36 minutes long
13-20 if i am running late
anything up to 36 or so if i have time to drive slow and/or hang in the parking lot before i clock in HAHA!

tomorrow, being "classic friday" it's time to blast my way there to some REPULSION!!!!!

I got slapped with a huge fine doing 50 in a school zone going to work while playing Maiden's Killers. Unless I am on a desert highway, I ain't playin' Slayer. As much as I'd like to.

Damn, 50!? I got $100 for doing 29, did they put you in the poorhouse or what?

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:39 am 

Get onto a stretch of highway where you can accelerate to a decent speed, and play "Shut Up, There's No Excuse to Live" by Carpathian Forest at 2:30 into the song. Perfect for cruising.

Spacebar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:50 am 

My night driving music is ColdWorld's stuff. All of their songs seem to fit these cold winter nights. For day driving, lately its been Gojira- The Art of Dying.

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:39 am 

those midtempo priest songs like rock hard ride free, you've got another thing comin' etc. rules!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:47 am 

I still listen to all the same stuff when I'm in my car (with the exception of some truly long pieces, Esoteric and such) but there are a few staples that always get me going. Sarcofago's I.N.R.I is incredible driving music. The riffs are thrashy, the vocals are fucking nauseous, and that oddly "fake" sounding snare hit just makes you want to drive like a fucking maniac. Luckily for me its tricky to drive like a maniac in a '97 DeVille. Witchtrap is also a favorite for cruising. Lately I've just been keeping "The First Necromancy" in the ride. I love hearing the raw stripped down versions of my favorite songs from Sorceress Bitch. "Total Sacrifice" in particular gets me headbanging to the point that my safety is being compromised.

Honorable mentions: Warhorde - Satanic Lust, Tormentor - Anno Domini, Manilla Road - Invasion/Out of the Abyss

FuneralFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:39 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Black metal is my favorite genre by far but it is definitly not driving music for me. I have to be alone in a room sitting in the dark or something to take it in.
I totally agree with you. For me it's usually American Thrash, while driving I prefer less aggressive stuff most of the time, with some exceptions. When driving in Israel you'll get angry sooner or later, so Death metal isn't a very good idea :)

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:19 pm 

Today, I was leaving school and I was cranking the song "The Art of Head Hunting" by Six Feet Under, and the school cop (NY state trooper) chewed me a new ass for having my music too loud. My friend thought it was BS, but I thought it was kinda funny. He "let me off with a warning".

mikko1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:35 pm 

Death metal. I have a CD-r compilation with Grotesque, Incantation, Necrovation, Splatterhouse, Abscess, Pentacle, Master, Demigod, God Macabre, Paganizer etc. that works like a charm.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:43 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Misainzig wrote:
I find any Iron Maiden to be the best driving music, but I usually don't listen to them. I like to listen to mixes while I drive.

Same hear for me but I still love Maiden overall. Somewhere In Time is great power metal to cruise the highway with. I don't know why.

I can imagine; that really is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

KMW01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:03 pm 

Basically anything fast, thrashy, or with lots of groove.

but I think the CD that gets the most spins in my car has to be Black Metal by Venom by FAR. Fucking great to drive with.

Also Reinkaos by Dissection but that's mostly just cuz I love them, and their earlier stuff is either too slow or too chaotic to get into while driving although I prefer them while just relaxing at home.

I've never driven with Maiden though, don't know why I didn't think of doing that haha, I shall try it tonight!

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 pm 

Saturnus or Uaral. Anything doom really. Can't go death -> results in speeding.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 pm 

CountBlagorath wrote:
What bands do you like to listen to while driving and why? For me it depends. The CD that is normaly in my player is the re recording of Stormblast by Dimmu Borgir. I like to listen to it when I going through the woods. Sons of Northern Darkness by Immortal gets played alot as well. The album that's in my truck right now is With Oden On Our Side by Amon Amarth. We got snow dumped on us on Monday and to me, that album fits the winter landscape where I live. Plus it's fun to crank it up to max and see everyone look at me strangely. :D

Iron Savior's Unification or their Self-Titled, or any German Power metal of that era for that matter sounds incredible driving. In fact, I probably will get a speeding ticket one of these days if I listen to that stuff while driving anymore.

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:07 pm 

The only times I usually ever drive is in the early morning or at night, and at those times I'm listening to either Opeth, Agalloch, Immortal, Summoning or Sunn O))). Nothing really that aggressive only because I hate to blast music in my car, considering it's a stick without a tachometer, so I learned to shift by ear. On certain occasions, like if it's snowing or if it's a cold night, I turn on some atmospheric black metal and/or ambient.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:08 pm 

I don't have any car and do not even have a permit, but I think the best bands to listen to while driving, is the obvious thrash metal or Motorhead. Those are for getting speed tickets and maybe getting caught for driving drunk but for driving late in the evening or in the night, some doom and stoner doom should be great for some atmosphere. Now the problem wouldn't be putting less weight on the pedal but actually concentrate on driving.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:43 pm 

An album that gave my friend a speeding ticket was Framing Armageddon by Iced Earth. When that song came on, he floored it. 70 in a 55. He had to give me the CD back before he got another.:lol:

woeoftyrants
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:01 am 

I usually enjoy stuff with lots of groove while I'm driving: Electric Wizard, Candlemass, Cathedral, Witchcraft, EHG, etc. Thrash/speed metal is always good when I drive, and it usually consists of Celtic Frost, Exodus, Motorhead, and Slayer.

If not that, old-school death metal does the trick. I especially enjoy Entombed and old At the Gates.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:15 pm 

I listen to a wide variety of different styles of music, and unless it's extremely slow funeral doom, I'll listen to all of these styles in my car. If I'm in a depressive mood, I'll put in Blacklight District by The Gathering and listen to the title track, in its entirety. If I'm feeling normal, or angry, I like some old Exodus, old Sepultura, old Slayer.....anything old :lol: What I listen to in my car depends on my mood...just like what I listen to in my room.

In my CD Player right now, I have HOD's "Cry and Piss yourself" demo. I don't know why, I'm not crazy about that band. But I was driving to work, and wasn't in the mood to listen to Dusk and Her Embrace, so I took it out and grabbed the first CD I could, as it is a short drive to work.

Last week, I listened to For All Tid by Dimmu Borgir in my car, almost exclusively. I forgot how much I liked it. The week before last, I listened to alot of Judas Priest "Unleashed in the East." Another great album.

RB2610
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:35 pm 

I don't have a car but I find Bolt Thrower is awesome when I'm cycling.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:41 pm 

For motorbikes, don't forget Manowar - 'Warlord' and 'Return of the Warlord'. And probably Black Label Society.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Blackend
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:48 pm 

Gorerotted and Devourment are good shit to blast during traffic. A lot of "-_-" glances though.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:10 pm 

Blackend wrote:
Gorerotted and Devourment are good shit to blast during traffic. A lot of "-_-" glances though.

That's the best part!

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:26 pm 

For a second I read the title as "Metal while dying". Also, listening to metal while driving would be disastrous for me. I'd drive ridiculously fast.
Hehe, foreskins.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:31 pm 

There have been some damn good driving bands mentioned so far (particularly Maiden, Deep Purple, and Blind Guardian) but most of the time I listen to brutal shit while driving. Most of my friends who are into metal are into brutal death, so that tends to be what gets played. Of course, Death and Morbid Angel get heavy rotation, but I find we tend to listen to groovy brutal death a lot. I'd have to say my favorites are stuff like Kronos, Gorguts, and Dying Fetus; fun, intense, and groovy.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:20 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
I think Blind Guardian's first 2 albums are fun to drive to. Just plugging along at light speed!

Fucking rights! Ooooooooooooh, Majesty!

SludgeMetalHead983
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:27 pm 

i like hard heavy sludge or doom. i also enjoy pantera, minor threat, the melvins, deicide, and acid bath!

Quote:
Tin foil hats on!

RidiculeSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:38 pm 

For lengthy drives, I'll usually start off with Dissection's "Storm..." or "The Somberlain". After that, I put on Gorgoroth's "Antichrist". Then I'll go with some Death Metal for a couple albums. Anything by Behemoth or Arghoslent will do, but I'll throw in some Incantation, Death, or Morbid Angel for good measure. Then Kreator's "Pleasure to Kill" or an early Slayer album. Maybe some Pink Floyd if I'm in a mellow state of mind.

For night drives, Black Metal is best. Burzum's self titled is a must. Sargeist is nice, too.

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:51 pm 

It's so hard for me to listen to Antithesis and not go 20 mph over the limit.
Currently, I'm playing Abigail Williams - In the Shadow of a Thousand Suns in my car, but I've been rotating that with Belphegor - Bondage Goat Zombie and Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next