Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xiphos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:13 pm 

Depends on my mood, and also on the weather. When it's cold I really enjoy Black or Doom metal, but if it's blazing hot out I prefer Thrash, death, or even Traditional in most cases. I enjoy Power metal on occasion, but not usually.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:39 pm 

GSZX1337 wrote:
When I listen to a new band, I get their whole discography and listen to their albums in chronological order. It allows me to see (...or hear) how the band has evolved to the band they are today.

there ya go, that's cool! i just did that with Drawn and Quartered
they only evolved once though haha! from album #1 to #2
but fuck all that's one excellent band

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:56 pm 

I usually just pick a cd or two. I listen mostly in my car, and via headphones at night. I may stick with a disc for a while, or just give it one or two listens before it hits the shelf again.

From time to time, I give metal a break and listen to Clapton, Pink Floyd, Rush, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, The Who, or some of my wife's celtic and folk music.

I tried listening to my collection in Alpha-chronological order (Alpha by band, chrono by band's albums) on several occasions, but it's difficult.

Myjk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:01 am 

It's a mixture of new new acquisitions and mood. Today for example was Hypnosia's Extreme Hatred, which was new, mixed in with Speak Of The Devil and Shot At the Devil, which was mood.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:05 am 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
I tried listening to my collection in Alpha-chronological order (Alpha by band, chrono by band's albums) on several occasions, but it's difficult.

Tell me about it. It's been almost a week and I'm only up to Angra!!!

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:14 am 

steady666 wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:

Why put yourself through that? Just listen to whatever you feel like.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:17 am 

MikeyC wrote:
steady666 wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:

Yeah but its fun and gives me a chance to listen to everything that I wouldn't normally listen to! :)
Awesome post count! btw Mikey are you gonna go see Psycroptic on the 20th of December?

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:20 am 

steady666 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
steady666 wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:

Yeah but its fun and gives me a chance to listen to everything that I wouldn't normally listen to! :)
Awesome post count! btw Mikey are you gonna go see Psycroptic on the 20th of December?

Yeah, I suppose so. I would have to start with !T.O.O.H.!, then 1349, then 5ive, then Aborted's 6 albums...nah, too strict for me. :)

Haha, I noticed the post count just after I posted. I could've done something satanic with it, but it doesn't matter. Psycroptic were in Sydney on the 7th, I believe. I couldn't go, and I'm not that excited to see them as I was with Meshuggah (flew to Melbourne just for the concert), as I only have their latest album. They'd be good live, I reckon.

EDIT: Actually, I think it's the 7th of December they're in Sydney.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:40 am 

CDs are always scattered about in my car, so I usually tend to just grab any CD without looking at what it is and play it. Sometimes they are very old school cds that I haven't listened to in a really long time, which is surprising and entertaining at best.

As for my Ipod, I usually shuffle all music. Other times, I pick out certain artists depending on my mood. And even other times (on rare occasions), which is interesting, I play all song titles in alphabetical order or listen songs from a certain letter.

Cianyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:33 am 

MikeyC wrote:
steady666 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
steady666 wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:

Yeah, I suppose so. I would have to start with !T.O.O.H.!, then 1349, then 5ive, then Aborted's 6 albums...nah, too strict for me. :)

Haha, I noticed the post count just after I posted. I could've done something satanic with it, but it doesn't matter. Psycroptic were in Sydney on the 7th, I believe. I couldn't go, and I'm not that excited to see them as I was with Meshuggah (flew to Melbourne just for the concert), as I only have their latest album. They'd be good live, I reckon.

EDIT: Actually, I think it's the 7th of December they're in Sydney.

Is this the (ob)servant tour?

Well....
Since all of my music are on my computer, I tend to listen to my metal on my computer or iPod..,. Mostly iPod, but if the house is empty, I enjoy filling it with metal goodness...
For my Ipod, I usually select an artist and play their stuff or listen to a playlist I created.. Dont really like shuffling mainly because of the fact that I have a LOT of songs which does not go with metal.. So putting it on shuffle makes it sound very bad and contradictory.. >_>

Artist currently on my Ipod listen list thingy:
Haggard
Hollenthon
Amon Amarth
Gojira
Flametal

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:10 pm 

Grind, grind and more grind, with a little punk and powerviolence tossed in for flavor. Usually at a moderate volume - I like to be just able to hear myself think over the music.

In terms of habits, I make band discogs, picking releases with similar production/volume levels and tend to listen to these for months at a time. Been listening to Insect Warfare, Kill The Client and early Rotten Sound for the past few months. I am right at the crossroads - time to switch it up for a bit - and I will probably listen to powerviolence for the rest of the winter.

Thought I was in the mood for death/thrash. Turns out I just wanted a steady diet of powerviolence. Yes, I will have the Blast Beats with a side of Thrashcore, thank you very much.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:22 pm 

mouritsdebeer wrote:
I don't listen to it through speakers though, only earphones. I don't really know why...

#1- With quality headphones you can feel the bass rattle through your bones.
#2- Drums! You hear the ride on one side, the main hat on another. Tom rolls have actual depth and motion.
#3- Guitars in stereo!

The list goes on. Unless you have a quality home stereo system and really nice neighbors, over the ear headphones are the way to go.

Mechanism
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:27 pm 

What I do now is listen to music off of last.fm radio tags. I usually will listen to one of my favorite genres of music for an extended period of time, noting the bands that I enjoyed a song from a lot. After a while I will go to projectplaylist.com and listen to as many tracks from that artist as I can to see if they're good. Then I download the music and put it on my player for having my music portable. Peak times I listen to music through mp3 player way are when I am on a bike ride or drinking.

Occasionally I'll buy a record and put it on while playing some video game I don't need the audio for.

I usually listen to a little bit of everything I like during a day unless I'm particularly busy with work or school. Most everything I like is various metal, electronic, noise, punk and industrial.

WereHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:03 pm 

206 wrote:
#1- With quality headphones you can feel the bass rattle through your bones.

I always had problem with that. I just bought this http://www.americanas.com.br/AcomProd/35217/704878 , hoping to have a better "sealing". But in order to get good bass feedback, I have to keep my finger pressing the earphone...
Do you know if it is possible to reach the same gain in a earphone as in a headphone?

sprintcarfan2007
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:16 pm 

It depends on how i feel, right now, I am listening to Deep Purple, I dunno if u classify them as metal, i mean there classic rock, i might delve into some Darkthrone later :)

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:20 pm 

That is a good question. I happen to like feeling the bass in my feet. The headphones I use cover my ears - so they can get extremely loud before anyone around me can hear the music.

It's hard for me to judge your earbuds from the link but Phillips makes a good product. If they can create good suction then it wont be a problem.

But really, I think we are comparing apples to oranges.

WereHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:46 pm 

Thanks. The problem is to use one of this on a bus :P
I don't know... just looking for someone who may have found an earphone with good sealing and, therefore, good basses. But maybe its useless to try...

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:49 pm 

i tend to go through phases.

for example, for a few days i will be real into a genre, so i will collect and talk about it hard out. when i get home i will search NWOBHM on itunes, then hit play all on random, or i will thrash the hell out of my newest aquisitions. after a couple days (a week at the most) i will shift onto a completely differnt genre, for example, modern power metal, and thrash that in the same way. texting friends about how cool a band i have just found is, and cranking it while partying etc.

after a bit of that, i may shift through to another "early 80's hardcore" phase, or a 70's hard rock/heavy metal phase, aquiring albums of the genre, and thrashing them. i have time for a lot of gnre's, including most metal ones except for "brutal", metalcore, and "grind".

HAIL METAL

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:57 am 

I often listen to metal while playing videogames, and if I play a certain videogame without listening to music, it gets me in the mood for listening a certain band or album and vice-versa. A little off topic, but anyone that still plays SNES games should try playing Super Metroid while listening to Neurosis-Times of Grace. It feels like the album and the game where created to be enjoyed together, and it's better than any drug trip anyone has ever been to.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:49 am 

It all depends on a variety of things. My girlfriend being one of them. She's the type to get songs stuck in her head and play them, get really ADHD about music and just bounce between one song to the next, even if they are completely different. Sometimes she has moments where she'll listen to a band constantly for a week or two time and just not stop listening to them. For example Queensryche has been the most recent one, previous to that was Amon Amarth, and before that was Immortal, etc. If she puts on the music, then this will be reflected.

On my hand i go through similar periods. bolt thrower for example being one of my most recent plays. I tend to play through albums. It doesn't get too particular other than "Shit i want to listen to [band] or [album]" in which case my listening habits may reflect, that or I'll spend time listening to new albums, or stuff i have not heard in ages, and i keep a weekly mental note of stuff i mean to play sometime soon. Currently on the list:

Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Megadeth - Youthanasia
first incantation album
Death - Leprosy
Demilich - Nespithe
Forbidden - Twisted into Form
Voivod - Rrroooaaarrr

I also have about 150 albums on my computer i've yet to listen to due to lack of time and the fact for about a week straight now i'd download at least 10 albums a day and listen to 1 or 2 tops, so it's been accumulating, those will get thrown in in between. my new record player should be hooked up sunday or monday so i'm going to throw onto the list:

Venom - Black Metal
Cross Examination - The Hung Jury
Brutality - Hell on Earth
Toxic Holocaust - Evil Never Dies
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Tokyo Blade - Night of the Blade
Insect Warfare - World Extermination

from my vinyl collection since i hadn't had much a chance to play these, as well as a new record compilation I got at a show this past week featuring some decent punk, death, and black metal bands on it.

I'm curious about the record keeping though, i might actually try that. I can go back on my last FM and get it partially correct, but i'd be missing tapes and CD's i've been playing for the past few months, which also make up for my listening habits.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3