Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KnightProwler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:55 am 

I'm sorry if there's already threads some where on here, but I just wanted to ask this question directly.

There's a few concerts coming up, concerts I don't really want to miss out on... Like Mayhem.

But I've had tinnitus since March this year... And it hasn't gone away so I assume it's permanent. I can only hear it in quiet places so it's not as bad as other peoples...

But, do you think, if I wore good ear plugs to a concert, I'd be alright? Does anyone's tinnitus get worse, even when they use ear plugs, after concerts?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:18 am 

Of course noise will continue to do harm to your hearing as it has before. Earplugs significantly reduce the effects, though.

greysnow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:19 am 

KnightProwler wrote:
I'm sorry if there's already threads some where on here, but I just wanted to ask this question directly.

There's a few concerts coming up, concerts I don't really want to miss out on... Like Mayhem.

But I've had tinnitus since March this year... And it hasn't gone away so I assume it's permanent. I can only hear it in quiet places so it's not as bad as other peoples...

But, do you think, if I wore good ear plugs to a concert, I'd be alright? Does anyone's tinnitus get worse, even when they use ear plugs, after concerts?

I also have a light case of tinnitus, and you're indeed right, in most cases this is going to be permanent, sorry. As to your question, attending concerts without some form of ear protection can severely damage your hearing in the long run, and I would strongly advise to avoid it. I use the usual cheap foam plugs that you can get from any hardware store; never had any problems with aggrieved tinnitus after a concert since I started using them. Some people, however, say that they take away too much from the music and swear by small balls of rolled up tissue. But that's too risky for me, since my left ear is deaf anyway (from measles), and I don't want to risk damaging my right ear as well, as I depend on my hearing for a living (typist).

By the way, after days when your tinnitus has been particularly strong, try wearing foam plugs during the night if you can stand the increased noise level of the tinnitus itself. I get the impression that it helps a little because it gives the ears a sort of rest.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:36 am 

I'm not an expert, and haven't been to many concerts (only two to be precise), although, if your hearing is damaged, go with the earplugs. From what I've heard, people don't take shit for wearing them and they will drastically reduce the damage to your ears. So, yeah, don't risk a further decrease in your hearing abilities. A valuable asset that can't be repaired once lost.

Just a little off track;

KnightProwler wrote:

I'm sorry to tell you, but I'm pretty sure Mayhem aren't coming. I was gonna go with a friend but we got our tickets refunded. He says he was told that if they cancelled for sure, they would automatically refund tickets. That's what happened, so I'm assuming they are not gonna play down here. :( If you have information that I don't, it would be great to hear that they are gonna play after all; although, I'm not going to hold my breathe.

- Tim Minchin

KnightProwler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:42 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
I'm not an expert, and haven't been to many concerts (only two to be precise), although, if your hearing is damaged, go with the earplugs. From what I've heard, people don't take shit for wearing them and they will drastically reduce the damage to your ears. So, yeah, don't risk a further decrease in your hearing abilities. A valuable asset that can't be repaired once lost.

Just a little off track;

KnightProwler wrote:

I'm sorry to tell you, but I'm pretty sure Mayhem aren't coming. I was gonna go with a friend but we got our tickets refunded. He says he was told that if they cancelled for sure, they would automatically refund tickets. That's what happened, so I'm assuming they are not gonna play down here. :( If you have information that I don't, it would be great to hear that they are gonna play after all; although, I'm not going to hold my breathe.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your answers.

Mayhem aren't coming?

.....................................................................................

*explodes*

Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:11 am 

My ex used to drag me to lots of concerts (on average 2 a month :O) and I used to listen to my music at obscenely high volumes and now I get a low droning in my ears (I didn't use any ear protection) but because I don't want my hearing to get any worse (alot of times I have to ask people what they said and I can't hear the tv unless it's a vol. 30 +), the last concert I went to I brought some ear plugs from there and it was pretty good, I'd even say that will increase your enjoyment of live music as it drowns out the feedback so you can actually hear what is being played, on top of that your eags will feel greatly relieved as well.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:29 am 

Naedra wrote:
I'd even say that will increase your enjoyment of live music as it drowns out the feedback so you can actually hear what is being played, on top of that your eags will feel greatly relieved as well.

I actually hear the music better when I use some earplugs because they supress most of the feedback, and also because de lower volume allows me to focus more on the music rather than on the loud noise.
On the first couple of concerts I attended I didn't use earplugs and I remember feeling unconfortable because of the noise, and later my ears were droning for aproximately two days.
I also think I have some tinnitus since when it's really quiet I can hear a very low buzzing. I suppose it's not a big deal, but I don't want it to get worse. I want to keep hearing metal when I'm 50 years, and being deaf is not a very exciting option.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:45 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:

This was posted on the Mayhem site not too long ago:
"Mayhem Down Under -
As many of you know, the previous Australian tour was cancelled. Mayhem was extremely disappointed and outraged for the cancellations. This was COMPLETELY out of the bands control. Mayhem wants to let you know that the fans down under have not been forgotten. An Australian tour is in the works right now. Mayhem will not release official dates until the tour is SOLID to avoid any further disappointments or screw ups! Just wanted to let everyone know that the band knows Australia demands Mayhem and they will answer the call! Look for dates in the VERY near future... "

So unless something's changed, it looks like there's still a good chance it will go ahead.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:53 am 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:

This was posted on the Mayhem site not too long ago:
"Mayhem Down Under -
As many of you know, the previous Australian tour was cancelled. Mayhem was extremely disappointed and outraged for the cancellations. This was COMPLETELY out of the bands control. Mayhem wants to let you know that the fans down under have not been forgotten. An Australian tour is in the works right now. Mayhem will not release official dates until the tour is SOLID to avoid any further disappointments or screw ups! Just wanted to let everyone know that the band knows Australia demands Mayhem and they will answer the call! Look for dates in the VERY near future... "

So unless something's changed, it looks like there's still a good chance it will go ahead.

Hooray! My mate is going to flip when he hears this. Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

- Tim Minchin

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:57 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:

That's fine, do you need to buy the tickets again now? I never actually bought one when they were originally on sale because I was a bit skint at the time, although I'll definitely be going when they come now.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:09 am 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:

That's fine, do you need to buy the tickets again now? I never actually bought one when they were originally on sale because I was a bit skint at the time, although I'll definitely be going when they come now.

It appears we will have to purchase tickets again. Oh well, its Mayhem. Happy days.

- Tim Minchin

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:54 am 

These happy days are yours and miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine! THESE HAPPY DAYS ARE YOURS AND MY

HAPPY DAYS!

Sorry, love that show, and that song.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:54 am 

I've been following that Mayhem concert for ages now, and it just keeps flipping back and forth between yes and no. I'd love to see it happen, but I wouldn't be surprised it just went on like this til it eventually fizzled out.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:59 am 

If they don't come I'll resurrect Jesus and crucify the bastard again. I just hope they get rid of the Limbonic Art guy and go find someone "fresh."

Anyway, back on topic. Speaking of which, majorly blocked ears = major ringing. Yes, more than my usual tinnitus. :( This sucks.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:11 am 

Bezerko wrote:
If they don't come I'll resurrect Jesus and crucify the bastard again. I just hope they get rid of the Limbonic Art guy and go find someone "fresh."

Anyway, back on topic. Speaking of which, majorly blocked ears = major ringing. Yes, more than my usual tinnitus. :( This sucks.

Yes, having blocked ears fucking sucks. That has happened to me a few times. The first time it happened to me, I freaked out because I had no idea what had happened (a wax blockage that cut off most of my hearing in both ears, for some god damn reason). The treatment is retarded (having some kind of oil poured into my ears every night for a week or two, and then after that period, having a doctor shoot jets of warm water into my ears to unblock the ear canal), but the feeling of being able to hear again after being deprived for so long is simply undescribable.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:56 pm 

if you have been diagnosed with tinnitis from listening to loud music i would stay away personally,
you dont want to do anything to make it worse believe me

if you just have to go get good ear plugs and stay at the back of the hall furthest from the PAs

dont mess with your health

JohnGalt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:04 pm 

Yeah, definitely wear earplugs. I wear them to all metal shows, because I feel like the music sounds a lot better without the "white noise." And not being able to hear properly for a couple of days sucks. It's better to think about your health.

I still want to be able to listen to music when I'm 80, and rocking out with hearing aids is not metal.

Satans_love_child
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:32 pm 

I've had weird vibrations in my ear on and off for a couple of months now. Usually when I listening to music, and it feels like a moth is flying in my inner ears but only for a second or two. It's mildly painful. Could that be tinnitus or is it something else? i'm getting it checked at the doctors in a few days but it's worrying me.

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:35 pm 

I too have tinnitus and I am very young. I stopped listening to my ipod altogether, except for when I go on trips. When I go on trips, I bring my noise canceling headphones.

If your ipod volume is more than 50, then that is very bad. I suggest for all the ipod users, get noise canceling headphones and limit volume to 50.

I suggest also you just listen to music on the computer or stereo.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:41 pm 

A million dollars to the first of you who invent earplugs that allow you to alter the extent to which the sound is dulled!

Payable by the US Treasury, Leify is not responsible for shit.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:34 pm 

norilor wrote:
I too have tinnitus and I am very young. I stopped listening to my ipod altogether, except for when I go on trips. When I go on trips, I bring my noise canceling headphones.

If your ipod volume is more than 50, then that is very bad. I suggest for all the ipod users, get noise canceling headphones and limit volume to 50.

I suggest also you just listen to music on the computer or stereo.

Problem #1: I break headphones. I've already gone through more than a few this year. It wouldn't be very wise for me to get expensive noise-canceling headphones/earbuds only to have them break.

Problem #2: I go to a high school where the halls are generally very loud. My iPod NEEDS to be above 75 for me to be able to hear anything without noise cancelers, which, as mentioned above, I can't get, because I would break them and I'm on a limited budget.

I always wear earplugs to concerts, though. I like having ears, and it's not like I could have actually heard Iron Maiden properly without them.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:36 pm 

How can you break headphones?

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:52 pm 

Always wear earplugs at concerts. You can hear the music much more clearly and the experience is overall much more enjoyable. Ignore anyone who says otherwise.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:55 pm 

My tinnitus is unbearable if I wear earplugs at night. I have not known what silence sounds like in a long time.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:07 am 

RageW wrote:
How can you break headphones?

I've had a considerable number of earphone breakages over the past four or five years. More often than not, it's a problem with the wiring that causes loss of sound in one or both earphones, which is just great. :nono: Occasionally, if I only have enough on me at the time to buy some of the more economic earphones, I'll buy them, only to have the fuckers break within twenty four hours of the purchase (this has happened twice in the past few months - unbelievable), meaning I end up exchanging them at the store. No rough treatment at all - listening accessories are delicate, and occasionally the make is weak as piss. It's a grievous loss - broken earphones/headphones.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:27 am 

Well ideally I think we should only use our ipods for vacations. There is no need to walk the halls of school or the streets listening to music. If that is the case then you will only hurt your ears more.

I realized that once I stopped using my ipod all the time I was able to make some more friends and become more sociable.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:19 am 

Noise-canceling headphones specifically as well as more pricey headphones in general will not break through regular use for many years on end. I used to have that problem and assumed all headphones were just cheap and crappy, but I was only buying $12/$20 headphones. The durability and longevity of headphones starts to increase dramatically once you get past the $30 range.

Satans_love_child wrote:
I've had weird vibrations in my ear on and off for a couple of months now. Usually when I listening to music, and it feels like a moth is flying in my inner ears but only for a second or two. It's mildly painful. Could that be tinnitus or is it something else? i'm getting it checked at the doctors in a few days but it's worrying me.

If I were you I would be worried, that doesn't sound like tinnitus to me.

PriestofSadWings wrote:
Problem #2: I go to a high school where the halls are generally very loud. My iPod NEEDS to be above 75 for me to be able to hear anything

You have absolutely no idea how terrible your hearing will be in ten years if you keep doing that. Especially if you are using the ones that come with Ipods. From my understanding of it they almost recalled them due to health hazards. Like I said, it's very difficult to break the more expensive headphones unintentionally, you should consider investing in a pair. Doesn't have to be noise-canceling either, any pair big enough to wrap around the exterior of your ear will be good enough just by covering the ear. Also, once you get used to the sound, you'll never want to go back to cheap headphones; the quality is unbelievably better.

As a general tip here for the tinnitus-afflicted, depending on what kind of tinnitus you have alcohol can help it (reduce volume of it) or hurt it (increase volume and/or pitch); experiment to see how it affects you. Even more generally, caffeine and salt make tinnitus worse in almost all people, and I think cigarettes make it worse too. The extent to which these will make it worse varies depending on amount consumed and the individual; to me, salt and caffeine are the absolute worst aggravators.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:59 am 

Just as most people have already stated in here already; Wear earplugs. Seriously. You'd be a fool not to wear them.

And Mayhem better come...

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:27 pm 

A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE THAT WEARS EARPLUGS TO GIGS

are you going to these gigs alone or with mates?
do they also wear them?

basically do you get any hassle/jibes from mates or other people at the gig for wearing earplugs?

Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:24 pm 

Zephirus wrote:

do they also wear them?

basically do you get any hassle/jibes from mates or other people at the gig for wearing earplugs?

HUH?!?

:lol:

I've moved to a new area so I don't know anyone around here yet but I normally go to concerts alone anyway (because I'm a sad old bastard like that) I only started to wear them recently though because of my declining hearing. I haven't got any hassle about it yet (perhaps it's more psychsomatic than real) but I am still waiting for the HxC kids/manchildren to start going "LOLZ LOK @ T3H FAGORZ WIV ERPLGZ THT DONT STRECH HIZ ERZ"

ofstonewindandpillor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:15 pm 

Zephirus wrote:

do they also wear them?

Ever since the first concert I went to with a pair of earplugs in, I've never regretted it. I usually go to concerts alone and never had anyone else at the concerts say anything. I went to one show this summer with a couple of friends. I brought earplugs, they didn't, and I was the only one who wasn't complaining about that annoying ringing the next day. They didn't bug me about it because they knew that I was just looking out for my hearing.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:06 pm 

Zephirus wrote:

do they also wear them?

I'm 6'5 so no one dares to hassle me to my face. They do it behind my back. "Fucking tall kid...". :D
I don't care. I can see the full band from anywhere! And the best thing is that they can see me :)

Oh yes and who cares what people thinks. Who gives a fuck if people think it's not 'cool' to wear earplugs. Is it 'cool' to be deaf when your 40?

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:38 pm 

Zephirus wrote:

do they also wear them?

The last time I saw anyone at a metal show get hassled by anyone, said person was wearing a Hatebreed shirt and doing that stupid hardcore dancing. Actually, the only times I've ever seen someone get hassled at a metal show, the person(s) getting hassled were doing hardcore dancing.

So if I had to guess, I'd say no, you won't get hassled. It's not like you're wearing firearm headphones, most people probably won't even notice them.

greysnow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:04 am 

Here's a tip: remove plugs before buying beer at the beer stand.

"We're out of Beck's."
"Huh?"
"I said we're out of Beck's."
"Yeah, that's what I said, Beck's please."
"Say, you won't mind if I pee in your Bud, will you?"
"Free Bud? No thanks, I'll take Beck's all the same."

Chavaluria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:25 am 

KnightProwler wrote:

yup dude, it's permanent
go to the doc for a revision
:/

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:14 pm 

By the way, can loud music strengthen your ears as well, making you more resistant against getting tinitus? I always used to have ringing in my ears (which went away after about a day) after concerts before, but now I don't get it at all anymore. My sense of hearing has always been very good, and it still is, I can't notice any difference from before, except that I don't get ringing in my ears anymore. :)

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:56 pm 

Stormalv wrote:
can loud music strengthen your ears

No. You can adapt to loud music sounding normal, but loud music is damaging, not strengthening.

RB2610
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:50 pm 

I have yet to go to a festival but I'm hoping to go to Wacken or Bloodstock next year, do they sell earplugs on site or do you have to bring them from home (just in case I end up forgetting to pack them or losing them or something)

And I seem to have the problem with earphones a lot, just a couple of days ago I was pissed off to find that my right earphone had stopped working, then it got even worse when I had to sit through a 30 minute bus journey and couldn't block out the voices of a bunch of teenage girls singing obnoxiously at the back of the bus :fuck:

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:03 am 

I have never used earplugs, although I ALWAYS buy those cheap ones sold outside. At Maiden '06 I was sitting and didn't need them, at Maiden '08 I was standing about 15 meters away from the stage but it wasn't that loud so I didn't use them at all. At Unholy Alliance III recently I was even standing in the front, as close as you could be, but I didn't need plugs at all :scratch: Either they play at low volume, or my hearing is damaged, but I only have problems with people whispering. Otherwise it is not that bad. And I sometimes get these tinnitus noises, but that is just some occasions per month and it only lasts for several seconds. I didn't suffer from anything after the concert.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:46 pm 

Chaos_Llama wrote:
Stormalv wrote:
can loud music strengthen your ears

No. You can adapt to loud music sounding normal, but loud music is damaging, not strengthening.

Strange, because like I said I don't get ringing in my ears anymore, after concerts... Except when I saw Mayhem a couple of months ago, but I was on the front row, and they played so loud that it felt like I was floating in the air because of the bass, I shit you not... Every kick drum hit felt like a massage to my whole upper body, made me 10 pounds lighter. They destroyed one of the speakers and bits were falling from the ceiling.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next