Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:37 am 

What's the deal with a new lineup for each album? Is Jeff Waters that much of a prick that no one could stand to work with him on a continual basis. I see that several members of the band have returned to the band at a later time, but again have left. What's the story behind this?

I only have the RoadRunner Best Of compilation. How are the later albums? Do they still have a good thrash vibe to them, or has the constant lineup changes damaged this bands music?
Find out I'm the chosen one,
Now it’s too late my life is done!!!

http://www.myspace.com/sabfan1

LunarTower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:48 am 

I like to think that no one but huge douches, like his newest vocalist/guitarist guy, can stand to stay in a band that makes such shitty albums constantly. Joe from Overkill/Liege Lord/Tad Morose was the only light in the dark in like two decades of pure suck since Alice in Hell, their only real Thrash album.

Last edited by LunarTower on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:48 am 

Stay away from anything post 1993 with the exception of the albums with Joe Comeau. That's the general consensus anyways. I personally enjoy all Annihilator albums except Metal.

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:51 am 

Misainzig wrote:
Stay away from anything post 1993 with the exception of the albums with Joe Comeau. That's the general consensus anyways. I personally enjoy all Annihilator albums except Metal.

So basically what you're saying is the first 3 albums, and "Carnival Diablos" and "Waking the Fury" are the only albums worth owning.
Find out I'm the chosen one,
Now it’s too late my life is done!!!

http://www.myspace.com/sabfan1

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:52 am 

Basically, yes.

Like I said, I love most Annihilator, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority there, and those are clearly the best ones.

Last edited by Misainzig on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
LunarTower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:52 am 

SabFan1 wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

So basically what you're saying is the first 3 albums, and "Carnival Diablos" and "Waking the Fury" are the only albums worth owning.

More like just the first two and Carnival Diablos, Waking the Fury has this awful techno-style production/distortion that just fucked the whole thing in the ass.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:59 am 

To address the actual question of the OP, I don't know that the lineup changes changed the sound of the band, but there is definitely a lot of variation between releases. They were never as overtly groove as Machine Head or something like that, but they were still fairly groovy. They usually retained a (sometimes minor) thrashy edge. A perfect example would be Syn. Kill 1 from Refresh the Demon. A groove tune that still has some thrash thrown in for good measure. In my opinion, it works very well.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:18 am 

The only album of theirs I bother listening to is Alice in Hell, so lineup changes since then don't matter to me.

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:33 am 

I like all of Annihilator's albums, just to differing degrees.

As for the line up changes....Jeff is pretty much a dictator in Annihilator, and has always seen it as "his" band. A bit like Dave Mustaine if you will. Like Dave, he doesnt seem to be very perceptive to any creative input from other band members. So is he a prick? At least in Annihilator to fellow band members, most likely, yes :P

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:36 am 

I have had some similar questions about this band. I actually own the same exact compilation c-d and want to invest in more of their music but from what I understand only the first two c-ds are worth buying.

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:40 am 

RevBau wrote:
I have had some similar questions about this band. I actually own the same exact compilation c-d and want to invest in more of their music but from what I understand only the first two c-ds are worth buying.

Like anything else, its just a matter of opinion. And you say "the first two albums". No one on here yet seems to have had anything good to say about "Never, Neverland". I happen to think its an awesome album. I like all of their albums really, just some i prefer over others.

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:29 am 

I checked some of their later era stuff and it sounded like horrible nu metal.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:40 am 

The dvd "Ten Years In Hell" is a pretty good documentry into the band, it's near 4 hours long, have not watched it in a while though, but I think it explains the comings and goings of the band members, as far as I can remember Jeff records and plays most if not all the guitar work including bass for a lot of his albums even though the line up is metioned in the recording credits,I think he is very particular about his work.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:51 am 

Annihilator sucks. Avoid at all costs.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:56 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Annihilator sucks. Avoid at all costs.

Seconded. Although 2 songs from Alice In Hell are good. The title track and Schizos.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:54 am 

AngelicStorm wrote:
As for the line up changes....Jeff is pretty much a dictator in Annihilator, and has always seen it as "his" band. A bit like Dave Mustaine if you will. Like Dave, he doesnt seem to be very perceptive to any creative input from other band members. So is he a prick? At least in Annihilator to fellow band members, most likely, yes :P

This. He's the guy who tries to control absolutely fucking everything and to hell with outside ideas! GO START YOUR OWN FUCKING BAND! It's a bad way to write, outside opinions are always helpful in some light, especially if it's from the guys who have to play the dreck you're writing.

Honestly, Alice in Hell is great (although it wore off on me) and Waking the Fury has a couple decent moments, but everything else I've heard has pretty much sucked the mighty suck.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:13 pm 

I'd say on the whole that Annihilator has been a pretty inconsistent band, particularly after 1993. When I first heard the Comeau stuff I thought it was mediocre, but it grew on me, particularly "Waking The Fury". If there are some albums that I would say to absolutely avoid no matter what, "Remains" and "All For You" are the absolute worst. The two latest albums have a lot of metalcore going on in them, fairly similar to Machine Head's "The Blackening" actually.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

NekroExhumer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:09 pm 

Seriously, they only copy other bands, and they suck at what they do.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:24 am 

Alice In Hell is goldurn classic. Never, Neverland is excellent, despite having some major mis-steps. Set the World on Fire sucks.

Other than those three, I've only really heard Schizo Deluxe, which is actually not bad as long as you don't go in expecting anything but shred. The vocals aren't as god-awful as some would have you believe but they are very average and often fall victim to Annihilator's awful brand of cheese. But that's as much Water's fault as it is Dave Padden's. Worth getting out of a used bin.

More_brains
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:53 am 

Meh, I really liked the album Alcie in hell alot, but each album just got worse and worse so I dont really follow or care for them anymore...

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:30 am 

NekroExhumer wrote:
Seriously, they only copy other bands, and they suck at what they do.

The embodiment of truth.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.