Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:27 am 

God, I hate having to do this shit, but...

Okay, so a while back, I purchased Deep Purple's "Made In Japan" album. It's the 1-cd version (unfortunately, the 2cd version seems... unlocatable). Anyways, there's something that's been bugging me. It seems that one of my archival copy mp3s of this album don't quite match up with the CD I own. The file for Smoke On The Water is the proper length (7:36), but it appears to be from a very different concert.

It seems to be from another MK II concert, since Gillian's voice seems pretty consistent style-wise, and the guitar seems to belong to Blackmore. They seem to play it at a noticeably faster tempo, and preface it with Gillian saying, "I know this may seem like a devilish ploy to bring the evening's festivities to an end..." and around the 4:55 mark, he starts getting the crowd to sing along (with an awesome-sounding shriek of "LOUDER!", I might add).

Of course, I also noticed that my CD's time for The Mule sits at 9:50, whereas the MA page and my mp3 give it as 9:28. So is it just a case of the 1cd and 2cd versions having different recordings, or is this version of SOTW from a different live album, and if so, does anyone know which one?

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:46 am 

My best guess is its from Live in Japan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Ja ... rple_album)) which is essentially an expanded version of Made in Japan. As for the 2 disc version being hard to come by, here in Australia they have plenty of copies easily available for $10.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:49 am 

Just had a look at my copy of Made In Japan on my iTunes - I don't have Smoke On The Water uploaded because I can't stand it, but I'll have a listen to it and edit my post later on that one.

As for "The Mule", mine sits at 9:28. And I have the 2-CD copy. (It's fairly easy to find in Aus, or at least Sydney.)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.