Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NoDamnCore
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:10 pm 

First of all, I'm not a fan of pop music, metalcore, nu metal, crossover or something in that direction. No, I'm actually pretty much into early thrash and death metal, but I like to discover other genres and other kinds of music, too. Believe me, I don't give a fuck about tr00ness and shit like that, so excuse me for acting like a tr00 metal n00b.

Now, I just listened to Slipknot's new album, even though they're definitely not a thrash or death metal band, but I'm pretty surprised. Well, I won't call it thrash, but I thought some songs were pretty thrashy for Slipknot standards. Also, I thought some riffs were very Pantera-like. No, I won't call Pantera thrash metal, but I'm not going to discuss this here.

Sure, the whole thing is still very much influenced by nu metal, crossover and stuff, but I thought it's still pretty catchy and enjoyable. However, if you listened to the album, I'd like to know your opinion on it. Now, do me a favor, don't act too tr00. Some people will hate that album just for being by Slipknot. Be serious.

Thank you.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:13 pm 

My honest opinion is that the album is horrible and was written to appeal to angry pre teens who have no grasp of music. I cannot find anything good about it. That's really all I have to say about it.

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:13 pm 

i dont like slipknot's new album but i like their older stuff

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:15 pm 

The album sucks because the music sucks and it's not thrashy.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:28 pm 

It does not seem much 'thrashier' than other releases, but I do notice a difference. I think the drumming got a bit better? :/

However, the music still sounds like a jumble of sounds.

Edit: And about the 'Pantera' riffs, Pantera pioneered the modern nu metal sound, so of course it would seem similar.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:31 pm 

Slipknot has nothing to do with thrash so how could they sound thrashy? They are nu metal to the core.

NexusofThecrisis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:31 pm 

I enjoyed it a bit, which is wierd because i've always hated Slipknot with a passion (mostly because of that song with "I push my fingers into my eeeeys"). Not anything I would really call thrash though. "Vendetta" sounded like a sort of boogie/alternative metal anthem which was quite amusing.

Holocauster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:33 pm 

I've heard their new album and while it's alot more heavier than their other albums that sure as hell doesn't make it good. Slipknot sucks just as much as they ever did, they're just jumping on the next trend because their nu metal sound aint so popular these days.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:40 pm 

I listened to a few songs from that album and it was terrible. So boring and dull. At least the old Slipknot songs had these huge catchy hooks that made them memorable, but this was like listening to Six Foot Under.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:45 pm 

NecroFile wrote:
I listened to a few songs from that album and it was terrible. So boring and dull. At least the old Slipknot songs had these huge catchy hooks that made them memorable, but this was like listening to Six Foot Under.

Speak for yourself, I could still sing/growl to myself the chorus of The Day the Dead Walked or Revenge of the Zombie and I haven't listened to them in ages.

On topic, I don't plan on listening to this one. I've heard the title track and Psychosocial and it really isn't my thing.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:21 pm 

I see the OP circumvented the metal forum discussion rule about this non metal band by not mentioning them by name in the subject line. This will probably be locked soon.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:37 pm 

Corey Taylor doesn't do those rap sections anymore and the riffs are more metallic so I wouldn't call them nu-metal anymore. They sound more metalcore.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:53 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:
Corey Taylor doesn't do those rap sections anymore and the riffs are more metallic so I wouldn't call them nu-metal anymore. They sound more metalcore.

Interesting, but I doubt the new Slipknot is Metalcore.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:54 pm 

Shouldn't this be in the Tavern instead of the Metal Discussion?

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:55 pm 

I totally see your point, OP, and I do agree, I like the album, I think it's actually pretty good. Definitely the best Slipknot album to date, technically and musically, and also some strong metal influence, I heard as well. I think Slipknot could easily be a great metal band, if that is they got rid of their roots and focused more on making music musically, instead of making music to appeal to a bunch of 13-year-old whiny faggots.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:21 pm 

"Now, do me a favor, don't act too tr00."

What does that even mean? If we say something sucks it's because it really does suck not because it is somehow meant for posers and not real metalheads.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:54 pm 

You're asking us for an opinion of SlipKnot's new album, and want us to set aside our views on 'true' metal? Oh dear. This is not going to end well.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:02 am 

And he inserted his IQ into the word while misspelling it, too.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 am 

I have no idea whether the new slipknot album is thrashy, nor if it's nu-metal junk simply because I don't go out of my way to listen to bands that I don't like.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:37 am 

Kruel wrote:
And he inserted his IQ into the word while misspelling it, too.

xD

That aside, I haven't heard Slipknot's new stuff, but judging by the opinions here, I think I'd better stay away.

I do like around six songs on the self-titled record, though. Especially 'Get This', which IMO, sounds really thrashy for a nu metal band. I'm kind of a metal newb so please don't flame me, mkay? :P

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:47 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:

What does that even mean? If we say something sucks it's because it really does suck not because it is somehow meant for posers and not real metalheads.

I agree. Several people have already admitted to liking some of Slipknots stuff, so they're clearly not bothered by it not being true metal. I'm sure there are some people who hate them simply because they're not true metal, but you can't just assume everyone dislikes them for that reason. Plenty of people hate them because it just doesn't appeal to them.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:08 am 

I like the new Slipknot album. :boo:

NoDamnCore
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:52 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:

ENKC wrote:
You're asking us for an opinion of SlipKnot's new album, and want us to set aside our views on 'true' metal? Oh dear. This is not going to end well.

No, I didn't say that. I was being a bit sarcastic, I think that's not too hard to understand. However, all I tried to say with that sentence is that I'd like to see serious comments of people, who really took a critical look on the album. It's not a secret that some people will always say that Slipknot sucks, which is because they're afraid to look untr00. Don't worry, I know that doesn't go for all of you. I didn't say that.

By the way, I think it's clear why I spelled it this way.

Also, I didn't say Slipknot's new album is thrash metal. Read my opening post. I said it sounds more thrashy for Slipknot standards in my opinion. All I wanted to say with that statement is that I think they're getting more enjoyable for thrash metal fans.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:23 am 

NoDamnCore wrote:
No, I didn't say that. I was being a bit sarcastic, I think that's not too hard to understand. However, all I tried to say with that sentence is that I'd like to see serious comments of people, who really took a critical look on the album. It's not a secret that some people will always say that Slipknot sucks, which is because they're afraid to look untr00. Don't worry, I know that doesn't go for all of you. I didn't say that.

To the contrary, most people here are so sick of idiocy like that that the term is not used, what IS annoying is fools like you who seem to immediately think that we're all going to bash you because you like Slipknot because of some idiotic rumour you've heard on Blabbermouth (or Stormfront. :lol:).

NoDamnCore wrote:
By the way, I think it's clear why I spelled it this way.

Yes, because you're an idiot.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.