Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:36 pm 

rabenblut wrote:
Currently I am searching for something similar to Temnozor's "Folkstorm of the Azure Nights". Slavonic music is preferred. Thank you in advance! :)

I just discovered a band called Zrec that might be what you're looking for. Chur and Rodosvet as well. I second the recommendation of Kamaedzitca's new album, which is awesome.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:10 am 

EOS wrote:
winterheathen wrote:
I agree with you. I recently bought Sailing the Seas of Fate, and I really like it, I was hoping the whole thing would be heavier, like the last song is, Skuld. Still, once you get used to it, its terrific. Bathory worship at its finest.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, the album only has a couple heavy songs (with few heavy parts dispersed throughout). On The other hand, about half of "Beyond The North Winds" is heavy. You'd probably like it more.

I didn't mean to imply that Sailing The Seas isn't good, it just wasn't what I was expecting, but I'll still be on the lookout for the new one.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:06 am 

Sata_nic wrote:
Jarno wrote:
C'mon guys, some festive folk metal, about drinking and such, don't care if it is cheesy or gay. Give me catchiness and drunkards fun.

You should try Svartby then!

Yes, and SatanaKozel.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:14 am 

Swordbearer!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:53 pm 

My parents are both huge folk music fans and when I think of folk music I don't think of the European instrumental Celtic/Pagan/Viking stuff. I think more along the lines of Irish rebel songs, American folk music (Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Joan Baez etc) and Australian folk music (Eric Bogle, Redgum, The Bushwackers etc). Although I think it's unlikely, are there any folk metal bands that incorporate these sorts of influences? I doubt there are, but one thing I've learned listening to metal all these years is that it's constantly surprising and a very vast genre.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:46 pm 

I'm really enjoying the heavy vibe on Moonsorrow's "Tulimyrsky", the title track as well as the two remixes of their early songs. Any other folk/viking bands sound that way?

Deathakon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:30 pm 

So lately, i've been getting off that emo garbage music because its horrible. but im lacking some great metal. mostly im into iced earth, manowar, and sabaton. any suggestions to what great bands are out there?

jackwestjr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:25 pm 

Can anyone recommend me something similar to the band Galar? I enjoy the songs that I have heard from their album Skogskvad but am having a little trouble finding the cd.

On another note, is there any band that is similar to the band Nastrandir? Are there any other Pagan metal bands that I should be checking out? (I am relatively new to the genre.)

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:11 pm 

jackwestjr wrote:
On another note, is there any band that is similar to the band Nastrandir? Are there any other Pagan metal bands that I should be checking out? (I am relatively new to the genre.)

I recently got into Nastrandir as well. For similar excellent pagan metal I would suggest checking out Draugnim, Helritt, Gernosthagen, and XIV Dark Centuries. You may also want to look into Menhir's discography.

Myrkgrav is another excellent band to check out if you enjoy Galar.

jackwestjr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:24 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
jackwestjr wrote:

I recently got into Nastrandir as well. For similar excellent pagan metal I would suggest checking out Draugnim, Helritt, Gernosthagen, and XIV Dark Centuries. You may also want to look into Menhir's discography.

Myrkgrav is another excellent band to check out if you enjoy Galar.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Excellent recommendations!

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:56 am 

jackwestjr wrote:

Considering you said you're new to the genre, just some fairly generic recs.

You should check out Kampfar from Norway. Probably my favourite pagan metal band. Greats melodies and fantastic atmosphere. Get their first LP.

Also check out Darkestrah from Kyrgyzstan. My favourite album of theirs is Epos. They usually write very long, flowing songs, so if you like that, plus atmospheric black metal, you'll like them.

Finally check out Hellveto from Poland. They play a type of symphonic pagan metal. Quite aggressive but also has really great atmosphere and writing. I only have three of their albums, and my favourite out of those is his debut, Autumnal Night. I'm no expert though. I'm fairly sure LunarTower likes them a lot, although I could be confusing him with someone else.

Zhuinden
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:59 am 

Hellveto is something you just cannot go wrong with. I'm listening to "In Arms of Kurpian Phantom" album right now and there is nothing that I know which is at all alike. I truly hope there was, because I can just hardly live without having more of this...

You should check out Blakagir too.

jackwestjr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:54 pm 

Deathakon wrote:
So lately, i've been getting off that emo garbage music because its horrible. but im lacking some great metal. mostly im into iced earth, manowar, and sabaton. any suggestions to what great bands are out there?

If you haven't heard of them already, Ensiferum is one of my personal favorites. Some other great viking metal bands include Thyrfing, Manegarm, Asmegin, and Moonsorrow.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:41 pm 

I recently got into Celtic punk (Roaring Jack, Siobhan, Flogging Molly and the likes) and I'm really enjoying their energic and pumping style of folk music. Is there any band that plays folk metal with a similar spirit?
I'm looking for folk metal bands that focus on the more "cheerful" (for lack of a better word, I'm really poor at explaining myself) side of the music, rather than the epicness or the aggression, and/or that has a distinctive punkish feel to their music, is such thing exists.

Thanks in advance :)

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:55 pm 

CrippledLucifer wrote:
I recently got into Celtic punk (Roaring Jack, Siobhan, Flogging Molly and the likes) and I'm really enjoying their energic and pumping style of folk music. Is there any band that plays folk metal with a similar spirit?
I'm looking for folk metal bands that focus on the more "cheerful" (for lack of a better word, I'm really poor at explaining myself) side of the music, rather than the epicness or the aggression, and/or that has a distinctive punkish feel to their music, is such thing exists.

I am thinking Korpiklaani.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:22 pm 

CrippledLucifer wrote:

Glittertind. It's like viking punk.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:39 pm 

i like Mithotyn and Thyrfing, there my favorite viking metal bands

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:54 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I'm really enjoying the heavy vibe on Moonsorrow's "Tulimyrsky", the title track as well as the two remixes of their early songs. Any other folk/viking bands sound that way?

The Tulimyrsky title track reminds me a lot of 793 (Slaget om Lindisfarne) from Enslaved's Eld.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:06 am 

I already know Korpiklaani, but I don't dig them that much, I'll give then another listen. Also thanks for naming Glittertind, it looks interesting. :)

But anyway, are there any bands similar to these, but with a more celtic oriented sound, rather than scandinavian like those two? Also, the punkish attitude is a plus again.

legator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:58 am 

i dont know if you know cruachan, but they are about as celtic as metal gets i reckon. primordial as well, they are more black-oriented though...there is also the english skyclad, not my cup of tea really but might be yours...sorry if these are all too obvious

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:42 pm 

CrippledLucifer wrote:
I already know Korpiklaani, but I don't dig them that much, I'll give then another listen. Also thanks for naming Glittertind, it looks interesting. :)

But anyway, are there any bands similar to these, but with a more celtic oriented sound, rather than scandinavian like those two? Also, the punkish attitude is a plus again.
It might not be punkish, or anything that you're looking for for that matter, but you might like Eluveitie.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:37 pm 

CrippledLucifer wrote:

I was thinking Korpiklaani simply for the more upbeat thing you are looking for. Geimhre is killer celt influenced NSBM but not upbeat or punky... their album Mollachd has a lot of folk instrumentation but definitely more black metal than anything else... really good bm vocals too.

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:09 pm 

Are there any Folk Metal bands, aside from Korpiklaani, that makes drinking music? I'm really interested in finding more.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:34 pm 

noobsofsocialreality wrote:
Are there any Folk Metal bands, aside from Korpiklaani, that makes drinking music? I'm really interested in finding more.

The only one that comes to mind is Trollfest. But, you could also try Alestorm. Maybe even Devil in the Kitchen.

PengPeng
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:06 am 

Hi there, just stumbled (via a google search) upon this thread and directly registered.

Hope you don´t take offense in the fact that this (my first) post is also a question...

Ok,

I´m looking for some, hmm how to describe, somewhat rockin´ pagan BM stuff just exactly as Nokturnal Mortum play them on "Weltanschauung" in the songs "Hailed be the heroes" and "I feel the breath of Ragnarok".
The vocals are clearly throaty BM like but the overall sound somehow (excuse this "bad" word) rocks and grooves in a way I´ve never heard before.
Sure - there are plenty of dumb, funny pagan bands out there with their cheesy melodies etc but Nokturnal M. transport some kind of archaic and proud feeling. It´s hard to describe, I know but maybe you know what I´m speaking of...
I listened to a lot of slavic and scandinavian bands but I found this style nowhere else. Anyone there who can help me out?

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:13 am 

PengPeng wrote:
I´m looking for some, hmm how to describe, somewhat rockin´ pagan BM stuff just exactly as Nokturnal Mortum play them on "Weltanschauung" in the songs "Hailed be the heroes" and "I feel the breath of Ragnarok".

I wish I could help you with this one. "Weltanschauung" (or "Mirovozzrenie," in my case) is probably my favorite pagan metal album and I've never found another one quite like it. You might have to wait for the next Nokturnal Mortum album to find anything that approaches it.

PengPeng
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:37 am 

;-) That´s what i thought... "Weltanschauung" seems really to be a unique approach on pagan metal. But as there are thousands of bands out there maybe one here knows of one quite in that direction, who knows...

trier36
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:20 pm 

I recommend the band "Trollfest" to everyone. Pretty aggressive folk metal. Good for drinking, gloomy lyrics and music, they are using a lot of nice instruments such as accordion, banjo etc. Harsh vocals. Compared to Finntroll after what I know.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:45 pm 

PengPeng wrote:
;-) That´s what i thought... "Weltanschauung" seems really to be a unique approach on pagan metal. But as there are thousands of bands out there maybe one here knows of one quite in that direction, who knows...

Upon giving it more thought, I'm still at a loss for a decent comparison sound-wise, but an album that I feel gives off a very similar vibe is Dub Buk's "Idu Na Vy!" Actually, because of the thin/raw production and black metal style, "Idu Na Vy!" sounds more like NM's "NEChrist," but it has a proud/angry atmosphere similar to what "Weltanschauung" has.

It's missing the majestic quality, however. It sounds close to "The New Era of Swords," but not so much the other tracks. Still, it's a great album.

ThrashTilDeath3
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:24 am 

I'm looking to find some bands that play folk metal without any black or death influences or harsh vocals, with a focus on the folk sound instead. An example would be Middle Kingdom/Folk-Lore era Cruachan.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:10 am 

ThrashTilDeath3 wrote:
I'm looking to find some bands that play folk metal without any black or death influences or harsh vocals, with a focus on the folk sound instead. An example would be Middle Kingdom/Folk-Lore era Cruachan.

You would do well to check out Falkenbach's album "Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty". The first track has some bm vocals, but not a great deal. The rest of the album uses all clean vocals and of course has a great folk element.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:16 am 

Nordic_Warhammer wrote:
ThrashTilDeath3 wrote:

You would do well to check out Falkenbach's album "Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty". The first track has some bm vocals, but not a great deal. The rest of the album uses all clean vocals and of course has a great folk element.

Seconded. Awesome, awesome CD.

Dalriada (formerly Echo of Dalriada) would be worth checking out as well. There are occasional black metal vocals (maybe once on each album) but mostly clean vocals, and their female vocalist is great.

Menhir's "Hildebrandslied" has a few black metal vocals, but much of it is clean, and Heiko has a great baritone voice.

Odroerir has all clean vocals (except for some black metal vocals on their first album), and some wonderful harmonies.

Metsatoll, Heidevolk, Storm, Lumsk, and Fearlight all have little to no black metal vocals, though it is difficult to find many bands that have none at all. I'm probably missing some obvious choices.

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:11 am 

ThrashTilDeath3 wrote:

You might want to try Saltatio Mortis.

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:32 am 

Anyone know any folk metal bands with Eastern European folk influences? Something in the vein of Arkona (Rus) or Nokturnal Mortum's song "Weltanschauung", with that kind of melody and tonality.

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:35 am 

Nordic_Warhammer wrote:
ThrashTilDeath3 wrote:

Some other great bands to check out:

Storm (Norwegian folk metal with emphasis on the FOLK)
Otyg (pretty much Swedish version of Storm)
Bathory - Nordland I and II (not really folk but uses folkish riffs and fits under this umbrella)

The above use only clean singing and have a strong folk emphasis, but you might already know them. Sig:Ar:Tyr also uses a weird whispered kind of vocal style.

isberg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:46 am 

http://www.myspace.com/elitenorway

I approve of this

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:53 pm 

isberg wrote:

I approve of this

Hell yes, Elite is great. Perfect for Kampfar fans.

ThrashTilDeath3
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:15 pm 

Thanks everyone. I'll check those bands out. Already have Falkenbach's Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty and really enjoy it.

isberg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:26 pm 

winterheathen wrote:
isberg wrote:

I approve of this

Hell yes, Elite is great. Perfect for Kampfar fans.

http://www.myspace.com/istapp

Istapp from sweden is also some viking metal i found that i think sounds great.

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:38 pm 

Does anyone know of a folk metal band that plays Andean music? If they exist I'd really like to hear them.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 42  Next