Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:31 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
-Kataklysm's The Road To Devestation is the most violent track on the otherwise not overtly amazing but still good In the Arms of Devastation.

Violent? Really? I think it's much calmer than the others, especially the chorus. Each to their own.

Well it's slower of course but I see it as a kind of monolithic, inexorable war song, being unstoppable while the rest of the songs except To Reign Again seem like normal songs with nothing special to them.

Well, that's fair enough. I do think it's a better song than most others on there, simply because it's slower and I actually enjoy the clock ticking at the end of it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:13 am 

Immolation - Close To A World Below

Not only is it the most epic song on the album, but it's the closing track to THE definitive Immolation album (and the band has one hell of a track record, so this is doubly impressive). Everything about the album is wrapped up nicely in one 8 1/2 minute package. The need to control, consume and destroy is programmed into us all. We make the world an ugly place. We are already living in hell and there's not a goddamn thing we can do about it.

Humanity_Lost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:05 pm 

Definitely Ulver's "Bergtatt, ind I fjeldkamrene"

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:46 pm 

Seconded, brilliant ending for a brilliant album. And the acoustic outro sets the scene nicely for Kveldssanger, as I tend to play the two albums together, almost as two halves of one album.

john888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:53 pm 

Dreaming in Red by Dismember. The best death metal ballad, if the term exists.

lord_kexasthur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:15 pm 

john888 wrote:

I was just going to post this. :)
I don't know if this is a ballad though, but I understand what you're talking about. The solos and bass lines are simply mind blowing.

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:22 pm 

Cloven Hoof - Return of the Passover
One of the greatest NWOBHM songs ever. Epic as hell.

Darkthrone - Crossing the Triangle of Flames
"I am Lucifer, I bring you light and pride..." You could cut the atmosphere with a knife. The doomy riff at the end, the bell tolling, just a perfect way to end the album.

Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver / Deceiver
Heavy metal just doesn't get a lot better than this.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:22 pm 

john888 wrote:

realy epic death metal song; has alot of emotion in it.

Does anyone knows similar death metal songs?

Lychgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:12 pm 

Hyatari - Collapse

"The Light Carriers" was originally presented as one long song I believe, but nonetheless it has been split into several tracks for the wider release. Collapse capitulates everything the album is until that point: massive, apocalyptic, epic. It then smashes the whole thing to pieces by opening into the most epic riff in the universe (ever, of course) and continuing into a 9 minute track which figureheads an album that sounds like the ending of the universe.

Burzukur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:19 pm 

Amon Amarth, Vs. The World, "...And Soon The World Will Cease To Be". Lyrically and musically it brought good closure to that album, you really felt like the rest of the album was simply the battle leading up to the final universal death.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreaks, same album, "American Girl". It was a fun song a good way to close an album, you can't listen to it without dancing like an idiot. Eh, maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but you try it for yourself. Excuse me while I dance.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:33 am 

Burzukur wrote:
Amon Amarth, Vs. The World, "...And Soon The World Will Cease To Be". Lyrically and musically it brought good closure to that album, you really felt like the rest of the album was simply the battle leading up to the final universal death.
Yes, that song destroys. An ideal album closer.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:14 am 

Inno A Satana kicks some ass, but I'd say my favorite album closer is Blashyrkh (Mighty Ravendark). The song is a classic.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:00 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

Anaal Nathrakh - "Castigation And Betrayal" (Hell Is Empty And All The Devils Are Here): This is easily the most intense song on the album, and was an excellent way to finish...almost too good, because I sometimes wish the rest of the album was that face-melting. But still, an excellent closer.

Good album, good band, but that track is well...just a bunch of noise. I know that almost goes against everything I believe as a metalhead, but I think there are many better songs on that album.
Death metal is eternal.

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:08 pm 

Off the top of my head I'd say Antaeus - Blood Libels is not only a great CD, but has a good ending track as well, of the same name. The album as a whole will blow your balls off anyway, but the ending track, particularly the last 3 minutes of it or so, is simply diabolical.

In keeping with French black metal, I also enjoy the end of DsO's "Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice" with Malign Paradigm. The majority of the track is somewhat anti-climactic, but I enjoy the last few moments, with the somewhat haunting "moans" and distortion, then finally with the broken machine sound...interesting way to end an awesome album.

Suppose I can't refrain from mentioning my favorite band Type O Negative...I definitely love the ending track to "Life is Killing Me," entitled The Dream is Dead. The way the song's momentum builds, and finally ends sounding so ambiguously triumphant yet somehow still retains its lyrical punch of despair, is just another testament to their genius, IMO.

TheFuneralopolis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:05 pm 

Wolves In The Throne Rooms final track on Two Hunters. I Will Lay My Bones Among The Rocks And The Roots is awe-inspiring. Especially about 9 minutes into the song, once the acoustic interlude ends and that riffs kicks in. It's earth shattering.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:12 pm 

Again by Hackneyed. Shortest song on the album, but incredible and perfect for an ending track.
Also Inno A Satana by Emperor. A great ending track for In The Nightside Eclipse. (Note that this is not the bonus track version I'm referring to, though in the bonus track version, Gypsy serves as an amazing end also.)

Sepulturafreak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:32 pm 

Abigor - Spektrale Schattenlichter (Opus IV)

A perfect end to a perfect album, fading out with gorgeous acoustics (they sound quite classical) with a simple but awesome lead over the top.

Satyricon - I En Svarte Kiste (The Shadowthrone)

A nice somber keyboard instrumental

Gorgoroth - Sorg (Antichrist)

Just amazing riffs and vocals, the thunder clap at the end always used to jump the shit out of me.

Candlemass - A Sorcerer's Pledge (Epicus...)

Hear it for yourself. Epic.

Metallica - Dyer's Eve (...And Justice...)

Ends their best album with a furious bang.

Burzum - Tomhet (Hvis Lyset Tar Oss)

Haven't listened to this in forever, but you can always trance out to it. beautiful.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:32 pm 

maxxpower wrote:
For some reason I really like Dammed in Black, the last track on "Dammed in Black", probably because it's one of the better songs of the album, but it's pretty awesome, it has some pretty good riffs.
That and 1349's Hellfire, I like the atmospheric part and then the riffs come in, and the blastbeats.. the good stuff.

I really like those two, as well. Keeper of The Seven Keys is fantastic. Great ending to an incredible album! Taakeslottet from Dark Medieval Times!

Wordless_Hon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:13 am 

TheFuneralopolis wrote:
Wolves In The Throne Rooms final track on Two Hunters. I Will Lay My Bones Among The Rocks And The Roots is awe-inspiring. Especially about 9 minutes into the song, once the acoustic interlude ends and that riffs kicks in. It's earth shattering.

+1.

Also, "Ending" from Coldworld's "Melancholie." It takes a minute to kick in with the industrial bits in the intro, but the riff when the guitars come in is epic.

HaydenMaddox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:37 pm 

Keep of Kalessin's "Through Times of War". The first six tracks are ho-hum black metal...and then this song. Great outro riff.

HaydenMaddox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:38 pm 

john888 wrote:

Yes!!!!!

Boomsticks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:51 pm 

TheFuneralopolis wrote:

Yes! Yes! And yes some more!!

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:47 pm 

Sepulturafreak wrote:
Gorgoroth - Sorg (Antichrist)

Just amazing riffs and vocals, the thunder clap at the end always used to jump the shit out of me.

Holy shit, yes. That happens to me every time, even though I listen to it all the time.

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:32 pm 

Kruel wrote:
The last song of Gorgoroth's Pentagram - Måneskyggens Slave - is utterly amazing. The best song on the album by far (and that's telling a lot, being on that album). It's perfect as a closer because the song itself keeps building up toward that riff appearing near the end and then it builds around that riff (with new riffs being introduced as well), never letting the tension go away until the song (and the album) actually ends.

Yeah I have to agree with this. Also 'Stone Stands Its Silent Vigil' at the end of 'Those of the Unlight'. Its refreshing after all the face melting speed.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:21 pm 

Most of my pics are from old albums.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon - Brain Damage/Eclipse. Eclipse sums up the whole album and I think it's a very fitting and emotional piece to finish this masterpiece album.

Pink Floyd - Meddle - Echoes. What an amazing song, and even better on the Live At Pompeii movie.

Led Zeppelin - IV - When The Levee Breaks. I love this song, it's so bluesy, and it's interesting that almost all the Zeppelin albums end with a blues number. This is no exception. The beginning drum lick is classic, and the groove ponders on for an eternity. I especially love the bridge up in this song.

Led Zeppelin - I - How Many More Times. Great ending song to a great dark bluesy album. The band is in top form here, and goes from one thing to another with ease. Very moody midsection.

Rush - Hemispheres - La Villa Strangiato. One of Rush's best instrumentals, it just ends their whole "prog-era" albums with such an amazing bang.

The Doors - Self Titled - The End. Perfect moody long ending song, probably one of the first dark ending songs to end any rock album. Amazing.

The Doors - LA Woman - Riders On The Storm. One of the most haunting songs they ever did, and a great closer to their "comeback" record that is mostly full of blues songs.

Dio - Last In Line - Egypt (The Chains Are On). I think this is Dio's best power ballad next to Children Of The Sea (they even combined both on the Roseland DVD).

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell - Lonely Is The Word - What an amazing song. I remember seeing Heaven And Hell at Radio City (the one show they filmed for the DVD) and thinking when I saw that show that Iommi's solo was beyond amazing, and watching it back again on DVD it was.

Motley Crue - SATD - Danger. I know, but I love this song and I think it ends Motley's best release extremely well. Great under-rated ballad if you want to call it that.

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust - Rock n' Roll Suicide. It sums the whole death of Ziggy (which was loosely based upon Vince Taylor) up so well, this is my favorite Bowie album and what a great album it is.

Sisters Of Mercy - First Last And Always - Some Kind Of Stranger. It's got to be the best goth ballad of all times.

Slayer - Reign In Blood - Raining Blood. Like someone mentioned above, you have to include Postmortem in there because IMO that's the best song on the album. Great ender to a great classic record.

Watain - Casus Luciferi - Casus Luciferi. Great ending song to a great album. The whole vibe just sums up the album.

Last edited by deathcorpse on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:24 pm 

deathcorpse wrote:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon - Brain Damage/Eclipse. Eclipse sums up the whole album and I think it's a very fitting and emotional piece to finish this masterpiece album.

Pink Floyd - Meddle - Echoes. What an amazing song, and even better on the Live At Pompeii movie.

I definitly have to agree with both of these, they are amazing songs and close off the albums brilliantly.

Rhizome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:27 pm 

Suffocation - Jesus Wept ( Effigy of the Forgotten )
Behemoth - The Reign Ov Shemsu - Hor (Demigod)

NexusofThecrisis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:46 am 

DISSIDENT AGGRESSOR- Judas Priest

Not only because it is probably the heaviest song of the 70's, but because it seems like on Sin After Sin, more than any other album, that the entire album is building towards this three minutes of pure anger and violence. The solo, riffs, and opening scream make this song way far ahead of its time, and it really has an awesome atmosphere. I really can't believe no one else has mentioned it yet.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:28 am 

Definitely Opeth-White Cluster. But I got a few others:
Isis-Garden Of Light
Isis-Hym
Isis-Grinning Mouths (yeah, I like Isis, by the way)
Novembre-Conservatory Resonance
Death-Perennial Quest
Origin-Antithesis
Opeth-Isolation Years
Symphony X-The Odyssey
My Dying Bride-The Blood, The Wine, The Roses
Katatonia-End Time
Emperor-Inno A Satana

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:45 pm 

Aether by Skepticism Off of Lead & Aether. It encompasses all that is Skepticism. The atmosphere engulfs you and it is a fitting end to a fabulous album.

bradtheimpaler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:54 pm 

The last song on Inquinok's "Entranced by Twighlight's Gaze," "Awakening" comes to mind. An onslaught from the start transitioning into a very epic mid-tempo part starting off with a bass solo and culminating in a bad ass twin solo. Worth the wait for sure.

Make that comparison again and someone else will do it for you.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:41 pm 

Cephalic Carnage- Ontogony of Behavior
Such a weird ass ending for the album. It's almost depressing, but it still has its moments of pure brutality.

ThrashTilDeath3
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:05 am 

Dark Moor - Dies Irae (from The Gates of Oblivion)
^^ 11+ minutes of classical-inspired power metal that is even better than the rest of the album.

Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno (from Burnt Offerings)
^^ 16+ minute epic, evil masterpiece. By far their best song ever.

!T.O.O.H.! - Kali (from Rad a Trest)
^^ Just listen to the riff that comes in at 3:04.

Death - Painkiller (from Sound of Perseverance)
^^ Chuck sounds completely inhuman on a most excellent cover of the Judas Priest masterpiece.

Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name (from The Number of the Beast)
^^ Holy fuck is this goddamn awesome from minute one to the very end or what?!

Savatage - Believe (from Streets: A Rock Opera)
^^ One of the most beautiful, passionate songs I have ever heard. It's simply perfect. Everyone shines on this classic, especially Jon Olivia.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:27 am 

My Favourites:
All Shall Perish - Songs For The Damned
All Shall Perish - The Last Relapse
Cephalic Carnage - Ontogeny Of Behavior (ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE!!!)
Death - Perennial Quest (Defintion of EPIC)
Decrepit Birth - The Morpheus Oracle
Emeth -Aum (Awesome tribal style instrumental)
Fear Factory - Ascension
Fear Factory - (Memory Imprints) Never End
Insomnium - In the Groves of Death
Nile - Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten
Severe Torture - Submerged In Grief
Wintersun - Sadness and Hate

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:25 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Two words; Raining Blood.

Amen.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 am 

aces_high wrote:
Iron Maiden do this very well on many of their albums. Hallowed Be Thy Name, Only the Good Die Young, Fear of the Dark, The Unbeliever (yes I'm one of the few who loved that album), and Rime of the Ancient Mariner were all very worthy to be called closers.

How could I forget Hallowed be thy Name, my all-time favourite Maiden song and hence my all-time favourite song full-stop?
PS: I also love The X Factor, much better than anything after it IMO :)

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:52 am 

I would like to add the following songs:

Dissection - Maha Kali (Reinkaos)
Judas Priest - Lochness (Angel Of Retribution)

Both of them belong to my favourite metal ones.
I think that nobody has mentioned these songs in the thread yet, unless I overlooked it.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:46 pm 

Not sure if this was mentioned, however on the bus this morning to work I realised that when I listen to the new Falconer album "Among Beggars and Theives" I really just look forward to the last track "Dreams and Pyres". It's so epic and theatrical. I love it.

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:03 pm 

...For Victory

Armageddon Bound.

This track seems perfect to me. Karl Willetts' desperate voice, the riffs, the intensity and then that break and the beautiful solos followed by the outro with the cannons... it all just makes so much sense.

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:15 pm 

rathofgod wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:
Nevermore's "This Godless Endeavor" comes to mind, I had enjoyed most of the album, but it was starting to get a bit tedious. And then, oh lord, that last track is just fucking epic.

Dude, that ending freaking rocked. One of my favorite songs off that album.

My all time top last track, though, has to go to Iron Maiden's 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' off of Powerslave. That whole album is awesome, but...talk about going out with a bang!

Speaking of Iron Maiden, I´d say that Alexander The Great is even better as an epic ending. The spoken speech, the riffs, the lyrics, the solos, everything gives that song an incredibly awesome atmosphere , that makes you push "repeat" on the stereo and listen to the whole album again.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next