Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:32 am 

Saw these in the latest Revolver mag as I was browsing it at the store today. I want these so bad!!! These are the coolest and most Metal shoes I've ever seen.

http://hypebeast.com/2008/10/converse-black-sabbath-collection/
Find out I'm the chosen one,
Now it’s too late my life is done!!!

http://www.myspace.com/sabfan1

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:51 am 

...So buy them. ;)

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:22 am 

:lol: Good for you!

Frankly, I cannot see myself with them on...:ugh:

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:52 am 

Ugh, what a disgrace to the great Black Sabbath. Heck, how are they even Sabbathy?

Converse needs to stick to basketball and go nowhere else, unfortunately a once great basketball shoe is mandatory footwear for the scene/emo crowd all over Aus, and probably the world. :ugh:

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:55 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Ugh, what a disgrace to the great Black Sabbath. Heck, how are they even Sabbathy?

Converse needs to stick to basketball and go nowhere else, unfortunately a once great basketball shoe is mandatory footwear for the scene/emo crowd all over Aus, and probably the world. :ugh:

They were numerous also in the 80s and among the thrash metal kids.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:19 am 

Bezerko wrote:

Erm, how about the uhh... album cover from Vol. 4 on one of the shoes?

Yeahidunno they aren't so bad, but I wouldn't really buy them either unless I found em hell cheap.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:33 am 

Mungo wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Erm, how about the uhh... album cover from Vol. 4 on one of the shoes?

Yeahidunno they aren't so bad, but I wouldn't really buy them either unless I found em hell cheap.

Ah fuck. Oh well, I was wrong, but still, they're lame. :annoyed:

chrislyles15
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:22 am 

Bezerko wrote:

It pisses me off how emos have hijacked metal imagery, too. I got a pair of converse because I wanted to tribute my favorite Thrash bands, then everyone was accusing me of being a gay fucking little emo. I never wore them again.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:24 am 

chrislyles15 wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

It pisses me off how emos have hijacked metal imagery, too. I got a pair of converse because I wanted to tribute my favorite Thrash bands, then everyone was accusing me of being a gay fucking little emo. I never wore them again.

They don't understand a fuck...holy shit, fucking emo style has ruined everything...

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:48 am 

chrislyles15 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly are Converse shoes metal imagery? What is their relation to thrash bands (as in, how is buying Converse shoes a tribute to your favourite bands, to use your words)?
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:57 am 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
chrislyles15 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly are Converse shoes metal imagery? What is their relation to thrash bands (as in, how is buying Converse shoes a tribute to your favourite bands, to use your words)?

It was part of the 80's thrasher look. Converses, jeans, band shirt, kutte, studded leather and long hair.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:57 am 

I think Anselmo wears them (seen it in pics of Pantera) but apart from that I haven't seen them around much.

chrislyles15 wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Yeah, when I was first getting into metal I bought a Maiden live dvd and saw the studded belts, tight black jeans etc and thought 'holy shit, this is where the emo kids got their look from!'. At the time I was pissed off but nowadays I don't really give a shit about it.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:59 am 

It is kind of annoying how if I mention skinny jeans people will instantly make some crack about emo. Fuck guys, Maiden was sporting the tight pants look decades before some weiner decided to try on his sister's hipster jeans.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:19 am 

Quote:
In the 1950s the shoes became popular within the greaser subculture and amongst many fans of Rockabilly. Fans of punk rock have adopted the shoe as a fashion trend since the late-1970s and many popular punk rock bands, such as the Ramones, have supported the trend by wearing the sneakers. All-Stars became popular again in the 90's grunge culture, especially in the early nineties days of G-funk. There has been a recent re-adoption of them in modern Punk Rock and emo fashion.

(Source: http://profiles.friendster.com/57690351)

It would seem that Converse is a fashion icon related not specifically to metal, but rather to rock music in general. Therefore, the emo subculture is just as entitled to it as metalheads, punks, greasers, what have you. This makes sense to me. When I was in highschool (prior to "emo" being a major fashion phenomenon in Australia), people who listened to rock music (but not metal) and wore Converse shoes were abound.

chrislyes15 wrote:
I got a pair of converse because I wanted to tribute my favorite Thrash bands, then everyone was accusing me of being a gay fucking little emo. I never wore them again.

If Converse is so associated with metal in your mind, then the people who were accusing you of being emo are ridiculous, and so are you for shunning the shoes because of those people. :nono:

Last edited by LindisfarneAnno793 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:20 am 

The only shoes I wear are a single pair of black boots. All year 'round. I can't stand wearing anything else. These shoes seem kind of blech to me.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:18 am 

Some of you guys seem pretty insecure about wearing Converse. Chucks are damn comfy, though.

Those leather ones look kinda dumb, but the Vol. 4 one looks ok, but I still probably wouldn't wear it. I wouldn't bother with band shoes at all as I'd obsess over trying to keep them clean and nice-looking.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:05 am 

Like the Maiden and Misfits ones that came out before. I'd rather stick with black converse high-tops if I'm going to go that way, but cool.

I've been working on a new black denim vest and the back patch is SAB VOLUME 4 with the Zeppelin runes symbols directly above it.

Quote:
In the 1950s the shoes became popular within the greaser subculture and amongst many fans of Rockabilly. Fans of punk rock have adopted the shoe as a fashion trend since the late-1970s and many popular punk rock bands, such as the Ramones, have supported the trend by wearing the sneakers. All-Stars became popular again in the 90's grunge culture, especially in the early nineties days of G-funk. There has been a recent re-adoption of them in modern Punk Rock and emo fashion.

(Source: http://profiles.friendster.com/57690351)

It would seem that Converse is a fashion icon related not specifically to metal, but rather to rock music in general. Therefore, the emo subculture is just as entitled to it as metalheads, punks, greasers, what have you. This makes sense to me. When I was in highschool (prior to "emo" being a major fashion phenomenon in Australia), people who listened to rock music (but not metal) and wore Converse shoes were abound.

chrislyes15 wrote:
I got a pair of converse because I wanted to tribute my favorite Thrash bands, then everyone was accusing me of being a gay fucking little emo. I never wore them again.

If Converse is so associated with metal in your mind, then the people who were accusing you of being emo are ridiculous, and so are you for shunning the shoes because of those people. :nono:

The fact is, Converse All-Stars (high tops especially) are the most classic looking sneaker you can buy. Just like wearing 501's blues (or blacks) and a motorcycle jacket is classic. It goes a million ways, and you can break it down by sub-genre; but the only separation could be the t-shirt you wear and your hairstyle...but all in all it's rock and roll no doubt and extremely classic. You can't go wrong with All-Stars.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:22 pm 

let's remember the red ones Andreas Kisser had on the photos of reissued version of Beneath The Remains and he was completely dressed in black!! :lol:

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:41 pm 

White Nike high-tops are far more metal.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:41 pm 

deathcorpse wrote:
The fact is, Converse All-Stars (high tops especially) are the most classic looking sneaker you can buy. Just like wearing 501's blues (or blacks) and a motorcycle jacket is classic. It goes a million ways, and you can break it down by sub-genre; but the only separation could be the t-shirt you wear and your hairstyle...but all in all it's rock and roll no doubt and extremely classic. You can't go wrong with All-Stars.

I wouldn't know, hey. I'm with TheUglySoldier on this one - black boots all the way. They're the only footwear I own, and they're all I need - plain, comfortable and durable. I've known people (males and females) who make a big deal about shoes, buying all sorts of novel footwear with interesting/fashionable designs, but that just isn't for me. :ugh: And if emo kids started wearing black boots, I would not care.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:43 pm 

I have a pair of Iron Maiden ones already, and the designs on the black sabbath ones don't look good enough for me to pick up a pair. Still I find it pretty cool that they exist.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:45 pm 

It pisses me off that it's hard to find a decent leather jacket these days, I can only find the retarded matrix style ones that all the strange goths wear. Converse is fine, I still wear them, despite one time being very drunk and cutting myself out of them. I couldn't figure out laces!

How's about taking fashion tips from Cathedral, no way anyone is going to mistake you for a scene kid in their garb!

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:50 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
How's about taking fashion tips from Cathedral, no way anyone is going to mistake you for a scene kid in their garb!

Cathedral

:scratch:

:np: Cathedral - A Funeral Request

Last edited by LindisfarneAnno793 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:50 pm 

deathcorpse wrote:

I wouldn't know, hey. I'm with TheUglySoldier on this one - black boots all the way. They're the only footwear I own, and they're all I need - plain, comfortable and durable. I've known people (males and females) who make a big deal about shoes, buying all sorts of novel footwear with interesting/fashionable designs, but that just isn't for me. :ugh: And if emo kids started wearing black boots, I would not care.

Well, I don't wear All-Stars very much anymore, but if I'm wearing a sneaker (unless I'm going to work out) it's going to be the All-Star. Most times though I wear black motorcycle boots or combats.

Maybe the Nike is more metal, but I never was into white anything for clothes, never mind white boots or sneakers. Black is my choice forever.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:54 pm 

deathcorpse wrote:
Well, I don't wear All-Stars very much anymore, but if I'm wearing a sneaker (unless I'm going to work out) it's going to be the All-Star. Most times though I wear black motorcycle boots or combats.

Maybe the Nike is more metal, but I never was into white anything for clothes, never mind white boots or sneakers. Black is my choice forever.

White is an interesting colour, but the idea of wearing white boots/sneakers is, to me, hilarious. :lol: And unthinkable.

Black. :metal:

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:57 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Converse is fine, I still wear them, despite one time being very drunk and cutting myself out of them. I couldn't figure out laces!
I guess they're cheap enough that you could afford to do that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:00 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Cathedral

:scratch:

:np: Cathedral - A Funeral Request

Ha, I meant the really vintage paisley shirts and stuff, I always liked that kind of thing... with flairs of course. Trust MA to have a pic that proves me wrong.

But I couldn't actually afford those converse, I didn't cut through the laces I went through the fucking shoe itself. I was gutted in the morning!

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:15 pm 

deathcorpse wrote:

White is an interesting colour, but the idea of wearing white boots/sneakers is, to me, hilarious. :lol: And unthinkable.

Black. :metal:

It's been unthinkable to me since I was asking my mom for black shoes in the 70's and they didn't make them for toddlers and grade schoolers. Seriously.

I don't think WHITE looks very rock and roll anyway, period. It always looked too cheezy to me and I have never owned a pair of white sneakers or boots ever, even in my hair metal heydey. It always was such an LA glam thing or in my area a deep Jersey or Long Island mid 80's thing. Those people also wore Guess stonedwashed jeans and had curly perms which was all a big yuck to me and always to me was so much of a mall look. Anyway, that's what white boots or sneakers will always remind me of. Although white platform shoes may be different story. I know, I'm weird.

Certain things mixed with white might be ok, like grey for instance :lol: Just kidding.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:24 pm 

A truly metal outfit requires Golden Pantaloons, Silver Pantaloons, and Bronze Pantalettes.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:06 pm 

josephus wrote:
A truly metal outfit requires Golden Pantaloons, Silver Pantaloons, and Bronze Pantalettes.

:beer: to that!

Though seriously, I always thought of real trainers when thinking of thrash and death metal.I always preferred Adidas to Nike, mind you - the classic black leather with three white leather stripes down them. :metal

As for white trainers, I wear white ones when I'm playing cricket, for obvious reasons. Anything else, well, it's just not cricket.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 pm 

These are what I wear. Unfortunately, these are what the modern hXc kids wear these days, but I think they looks nice. They don't go way out there in terms of design like most shoes these days.

RB2610
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:38 pm 

I've taken to wearing ex-military boots which I forgot to give back to cadets when I left :D
I don't think they were technically meant to issue footwear anyway due to ridiculous hygiene rules.

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:41 pm 

I like those Vol 4 shoes. Were Converses less expensive and I liked the overall style, I'd get some.

Last edited by Pathological_Frolic on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blood_Cobra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:45 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
The only shoes I wear are a single pair of black boots. All year 'round. I can't stand wearing anything else. These shoes seem kind of blech to me.

Damn right.

Annihilate Folk, Pagan, and Viking Metal! Join the MA Anti-Folk Metal Front!
Member #6 of the AFMF: You are with us or against us!!!! ,,|,

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:50 pm 

Those are gay as fuck.

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:00 pm 

I wear my 2 years old used black converse (the ''normal'' ones) and i like them, they're confortable. I don't care about what people thinks, i mostly buyed them cause i wanted black yet good looking shoes (it's a shame that scenesters/emos adopted those shoes, though they're starting to be more into those slip on type of shoes http://www.skateattack.co.uk/images/pro ... SlipOn.jpg). I might buy boots soon though.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:22 pm 

Considering the swing in the fanbase of Converse over the years, that's probably more of ploy to the trendy-hipster crowd than any sort of homage. Well, whatever it is, none of it changes the fact that Converse are fucking ugly shoes.

And, why were you reading Revolver...? :scratch:

Gothus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 pm 

converse
converse
converse
converse!!!!

I would never buy anything Converse sells, even if it did have Vol. 4 on it.

slammysamman wrote:
HOW IZ IT DETH METIL WITOUT BREAKDOWNZZZ????

paskogen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:12 pm 

These are my shoes. American Eagle never looked so good. That's a woodburning tool I used.

Manowar is fucking your chick regardless of the condoms.

SludgeMetalHead983
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:20 pm 

screw converse, their just not my thing, i just buy black skate shoes, idc what brand as long as their black and fit me, also im planning on buying combat boots...eventually.

Quote:
Tin foil hats on!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next