Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:33 pm 

1. Ministry Of Saints
2. Sex Fire Religion
3. The Pride Of Creation
4. Nine Lives
5. Wake Up Dreaming Black
6. Dragonfly
7. Thorn Without A Rose
8. 929
9. Speedhoven
10. Dead Or Rock
11. Aren't You A Little Pervert Too

Hell, I'm stoked. A lot of people don't seem to like this band for whatever reason, but Edguy are a sort of oddity in this current metal scene. They don't really sound like anyone else but themselves these days, and while their 80s hard rock tendencies might turn some people off, overall Tobias is one of the more creative Traditional/Power Metal musicians I've seen in the last few years, especially proven by Avantasia.

Coming off of an album of that high merit, I'm expecting a lot from this one. Not too long of a wait, either!

Thoughts?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:35 pm 

The only album I have from these guys is Hellfire Club. I enjoyed it for a good bit when I first got it, but it felt a bit more like a phase than something I can constantly go back to. Indeed, interesting style, especially vocally.

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:37 pm 

They're ok, not really excited about this but I'll check it out.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:58 pm 

I hope it's like Rocket Ride...

...where half the album is totally amazing and the other half sucks. That way you can discard the junk and enjoy some good songs.
Edguy is decent, they got somewhat better as they aged in some ways, but there are some good classics in their early work.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:08 pm 

I don't think there are any truly bad songs on RR, just mediocre ones.

They did get better as they aged, although they do have a tendency to release stuff too fast and lapse into filler, which probably excludes them from the all time best metal bands, but they're still of quite high quality.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:36 pm 

I havent liked anything since Mandrake from these guys - I thought their last few were blase, cliche and boring. Especially given the fact alot of its just midpaced E riffs over and over. Sorry I just had to add the slight theory angle to add to the debate. Early stuff was good though, especially Theater of Salvation. Damn that album smoked.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:58 pm 

"Theater of Salvation" is my fave of theirs, but the last few albums I don't hate, oddly enough (despite not being as good as their older stuff).

I'll give their new album a chance when it comes out, but I'm not terribly excited.

I wish they would've re-recorded "Kingdom of Madness" instead though. The re-recording of "The Savage Poetry" ruled.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:08 pm 

The past 2 albums were pretty inconsistent, I'm hoping that they go a little more towards a "Mandrake" or "Theater Of Salvation" sound again, that was their peak. Although, I might as well be asking Twilightning to get back to their "Delirium Veil" sound given the odds of Tobias giving up on his new sound.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:15 pm 

Eh, it was their peak, yes, but not what they want to do anymore. I think Rocket Ride and Hellfire Club were transitional albums signaling a new era, which we will see the fruits of on this album.

I do wish they'd re record Kingdom of Madness though...

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:18 pm 

Theater of Salvation I consider to be one of the greatest power metal albums ever and Edguy will never top that, ever. Mandrake, Hellfire Club, Vain Glory Opera are all up there as well as classics, everything else is hit and miss.

I look forward to this as well, Edguy are one of my favs.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:19 pm 

Blatant Plug, playing with them this wednesday at BB Kings in new york for anyone interested.

THey are a good band, their early work is stronger overall though they have some REALLY GOOD songs off their recent albums.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:12 am 

Hm... the title and cover art have me intrigued. I'd probably get it anyways, as Hellfire Club is probably one of my favorite power metal albums, but with that title and artwork they've really got me wanting to hear it. It just doesn't seem like anything they've done before.

The song "Aren't You a Little Pervert Too" obviously shows promise, too.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:24 am 

Haha, "clever" title.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:30 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
The only album I have from these guys is Hellfire Club. I enjoyed it for a good bit when I first got it, but it felt a bit more like a phase than something I can constantly go back to. Indeed, interesting style, especially vocally.

Same here. Hopefully this is faster, catchier, and just all around more aggressive than Rocket Ride.

Gul_Kothoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:22 am 

I have always thought that Tobias' vocals were one if not the best vocals in metal. I didn't really like Rocket Ride but loved most of all their other albums and love Avantasia. Strangely im not that excited for this album but I will definitly check it out because who knows, maybe listening to the album WILL get me excited.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:22 am 

It was a long time since I listened to Edguy. Enjoyed Vain Glory Opera, Theatre of Salvation and Hellfire Club, but I never listened to Mandrake although I've heard its good.

But what Toby did with Avantasia recently, and the albums name and songtitles, really makes me wanna avoid this album.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:46 am 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
But what Toby did with Avantasia recently, and the albums name and songtitles, really makes me wanna avoid this album.

Why would you want to avoid some of the only creative Power Metal coming out in 2008? ;)

And yeah, they never really released two albums that sounded alike. Always changing.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:36 pm 

Bash wrote:
Haha, "clever" title.

I don't know Latin, nor am I well versed with Roman type theology/whatever, so I'm missing what the title refers/means. Anyone care to explain?

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:42 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
Bash wrote:
Haha, "clever" title.

I don't know Latin, nor am I well versed with Roman type theology/whatever, so I'm missing what the title refers/means. Anyone care to explain?

Tinnitus means "ringing" in latin; it's the little buzzing sound you hear after a loud noise, like a very small ring in your ears. What, is the album gonna give us "Saint Ringing"?

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:58 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
mjaeltbrand wrote:

Why would you want to avoid some of the only creative Power Metal coming out in 2008? ;)

And yeah, they never really released two albums that sounded alike. Always changing.

Well, avoid maybe was a stupid expression :P

But my expectations are not high anyway
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:03 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:
The song "Aren't You a Little Pervert Too" obviously shows promise, too.

Wait, was it written by Woods Of Infinity? :lol:

Heh, they definitely got me interested. The cover art is damn too serious for the album to turn out to be a merry foolish hippie bastard like Hellfire Club or Rocket Ride.

Last edited by Catachthonian on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:12 pm 

RageW wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
Bash wrote:
Haha, "clever" title.

Tinnitus means "ringing" in latin; it's the little buzzing sound you hear after a loud noise, like a very small ring in your ears. What, is the album gonna give us "Saint Ringing"?

AFAIK it refers more specifically to the permanent condition which results from constant exposure to loud noises (for example listening to Edguy too much!). It's a very unpleasant condition, imagine living with the ringing you get in your ear after someone hits you there for every second of the rest of your life. They teach that stuff at like 4th grade biology over here, I guess schools over there don't care if their students become deaf in the next 20 years? :)

edit: And to continue on that just to be sure (though I feel I'm stating the obvious here, but then again I thought the whole world knew what tinnitus was), the title is a play on "Spiritus Sanctus" which means "The Holy Spirit".

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:53 pm 

I'm very excited about this album. Edguy are a brilliant band and I honestly think that there is nothing quite like them around.

I am hoping that this album will make it into my top ten albums of 2008. I reckon it definitely will if it is as good as the other Edguy albums.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:54 pm 

Tobias says it's just an expression for "the wall of sound that will hit your ears." So basically Bash is right.

And yeah, the way this year is going for my favorite genres, this album might indeed find its way into my top 10.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:46 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Tobias says it's just an expression for "the wall of sound that will hit your ears." So basically Bash is right.

So that's why Christ's ears on the cover are bleeding! Oh my, that's hilariously stupid.

Sensuality
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:08 am 

Definatly looking forward to this one. :)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:53 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuftbIpbzo

Holy shit, he sounds kind of like the Nocturnal Rites singer here. Song is pretty good, not them at their best, but rocking and heavy as hell.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:20 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Holy shit, he sounds kind of like the Nocturnal Rites singer here. Song is pretty good, not them at their best, but rocking and heavy as hell.

Wow, that riff in the beginning sounds like it'd be in a Rob Zombie song or something. That weird sample they use (:45) doesn't help.

Chorus sound pretty normal for Edguy. Can't say theres anything particularly special about this other than the downtuned-ness. I'm hoping this song isn't an example of the rest of the album. I don't hate it but it's definitely not one of my favorite Edguy songs.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:26 am 

Bash wrote:
They teach that stuff at like 4th grade biology over here, I guess schools over there don't care if their students become deaf in the next 20 years? :)

I don't pay attention in class :lol:

You say tinnitus is permanent? I have it at times for no apparent reason, and then it wears off, so maybe I'm just weird, since I've had those since I was little.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:14 am 

I sorta wish bands would stop giving their albums retarded titles.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 am 

BardInTheForest wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Wow, that riff in the beginning sounds like it'd be in a Rob Zombie song or something. That weird sample they use (:45) doesn't help.

Chorus sound pretty normal for Edguy. Can't say theres anything particularly special about this other than the downtuned-ness. I'm hoping this song isn't an example of the rest of the album. I don't hate it but it's definitely not one of my favorite Edguy songs.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of the more bland songs on there. Their singles are never the best parts of the album. And the downtuned-ness is odd, but if we let Bruce Dickinson get away with it, we certainly can do so for Edguy. I also like that winding, apocalyptic guitar intro.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:30 am 

Empyreal wrote:

The chorus has a very "Bon Jovi" sound to me.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:30 am 

RageW wrote:
Bash wrote:
They teach that stuff at like 4th grade biology over here, I guess schools over there don't care if their students become deaf in the next 20 years? :)

I don't pay attention in class :lol:

You say tinnitus is permanent? I have it at times for no apparent reason, and then it wears off, so maybe I'm just weird, since I've had those since I was little.

Everyone gets those shorts bouts of ringing every once in a while and aren't really "tinnitus", if you get them very often though then that's probably a sign of your hearing deteriorating, which may lead to that ringing becoming permanent and eventually that ear might become deaf (which actually is for the better in a way: at least then you'll have silence). Anyway, it can become permanent, so wear earplugs at concerts and try not to get punched in the ear too much.

I'm no expert, of course. This is all just stuff I remember from school or have read later in life.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:33 am 

All hail to the future, I'll probably be banking on a bionic ear in 30 years time!

:(

AngelRipper16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:55 pm 

Hope it's in the vein of Hellfire Club, as that album is one of my all time favourite CD's. "Mysteria", "The Piper Never Dies", "Down To The Devil" and "Navigator" all kick some major ass!
After all, Tobi said that there would be three fast songs, and one metal magazine said that it was "...harder and faster than expected..."
I have my hopes high for this one!

:headbang:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:59 pm 

I don't know, can we really expect much versatility with those big, sludgy guitars? At best, I'm hoping for a catchy, rocking album with a lot of Chemical Wedding-infused power. That would rule.

But apparently there will be fast songs, so...whatever. It should be very intriguing.

AngelRipper16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:08 pm 

Does the album title mean something like Edguy is playing so loud and powerful that Christ is bleeding from damage to his holy ear?
:idea:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:15 pm 

AngelRipper16 wrote:
Does the album title mean something like Edguy is playing so loud and powerful that Christ is bleeding from damage to his holy ear?
:idea:

Something like that. And the new song kind of confirms that this IS way heavier than their old stuff.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:33 pm 

Eh, I don't like that new song at all. I guess I won't be a big fan of this album too if a lot of it is like that.

Give me more like this!

AngelRipper16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:42 pm 

Man, I didn't like the guitar sound on that new song...
Although, I shall keep an open mind towards the rest.

:headbang:

Metal Reviews -- Forum
http://v2.metalreviews.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=32

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next