Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
illmitch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:52 am 

there, i said it, hopefully i got your attention. i'm basically just wondering if anybody else out there on this board appreciates underground screamo (like yaphet kotto, joshua fit for battle, saetia, and stuff like that). i've always thought it a pity that this wonderful music gets called by a name so controversial and so destined to bring up prejudices in people's minds.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:50 am 

is this emo music with screams? Am I right?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:53 am 

This is the word a lot of the ignorant like to use as an adjective for the qualities of metal.

"I don't like metal, it's way too screamo."

God I hate that. Sorry, it's a bit off topic, but it annoys me.

squeebsquab
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:58 am 

I still really love Orchid and Yaphet Kotto and some other stuff like that, but to tell the truth i was never a big fan of most of it. I used to live in a showspace in 2002 and it seemed like we had tons of those bands coming through (hot cross, light the fuse and run, kaospilot, wolves etc). After a while it got really old.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:59 am 

ah, ok...it's like "weirdo" for "weird"...got that. By the way, I don't even know a single group cited in the post...:scratch:

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:03 am 

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8 wrote:
ah, ok...it's like "weirdo" for "weird"...got that. By the way, I don't even know a single group cited in the post...:scratch:

That's a good thing, I would hope you didn't. Screamo is terrible. I find it hard that someone who truly is into metal and understands how forms of extreme music can listen to death metal.. then go listen to screamo and enjoy it. I don't understand :ugh:

KayVee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:05 am 

Is screamo something like Linkin Park, Papa Roach and other bands that use whines/screams in their endless breakdowns?

What is EMO music? And don't come with lyrics, since that does not define a genre. Some bands maybe?

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:06 am 

The_Boss wrote:
CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8 wrote:

That's a good thing, I would hope you didn't. Screamo is terrible. I find it hard that someone who truly is into metal and understands how forms of extreme music can listen to death metal.. then go listen to screamo and enjoy it. I don't understand :ugh:

no no no...as I could understand from the descriptions, it's not my cup of tea...at all! :lol:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:07 am 

Screamo is a bit similar to hardcore emo. Truth be told, musically it is not bad but like with most hardcore and punk offshoots, I do not like the vocals at all.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:13 am 

KayVee wrote:
Is screamo something like Linkin Park, Papa Roach and other bands that use whines/screams in their endless breakdowns?

..no

Rexxz describes it pretty well. The more mainstream versions of Screamo are really shitty, and even the more underground stuff is horrible. The vocals drive me up the wall, and while it's passable musically it's still not all that great. I guess one semi decent screamo band would be Envy, but they're basically just straight out post-rock these days.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:13 am 

KayVee wrote:

What is EMO music? And don't come with lyrics, since that does not define a genre. Some bands maybe?

Emo is actually "emotional hardcore". Basically hardcore punk with more, well, emotional qualities. It's being applied to all sorts of angsty mainstream music these days, though, which is incorrect.

Screamo is sort of like supercharged emo. In my humble opinion, it's horrible.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:49 am 

Sailboats are good, beyond that...

~Guest 160745
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:36 pm 

Circle Takes The Square are superb but the best screamo band by far is Envy. While I do like some of the mainstream "screamo" (Blessthefall, Silverstein etc) I'm sick of how like emo the word scream is used wrongly.

DerekBuhr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:08 pm 

Oh, Sleeper is phenomenal assuming one can call them screamo. As Cities Burn and the defunct Phoenix Mourning also had me hooked for a while. I Am Ghost's new CD is also pretty good, granted, probably not a classic definition. Then again, those are pretty mainstream, but I definitely like hearing it now and then.

As for the whole, "How on earth can you listen to metal and shuffle to screamo?" Cause I like it =) Both have interesting guitar work if you find the right bands and the good bands in any genre are just that, good. I like good music, not metal specifically. I do "happen" to like more metal bands cause they "happen" to be good more often, but I'm not limiting myself to metal bands only, that's just crazy.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:47 pm 

I agree Envy are good. Is Will Haven classed as screamo?

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:38 pm 

I love Pg.99 and Envy, that's about it though.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:18 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
KayVee wrote:

Emo is actually "emotional hardcore". Basically hardcore punk with more, well, emotional qualities. It's being applied to all sorts of angsty mainstream music these days, though, which is incorrect.

Screamo is sort of like supercharged emo. In my humble opinion, it's horrible.

Emo was the name given to fans of Emotional Hardcore - and it was actually an insult, not a badge of honour, such as the term "metalhead" is for a fan of metal (there's a YouTube video somewhere of this being confirmed by the original emotive hardcore band Rites of Spring). Emotive Hardcore originally had no real sound-based distinction from Punk, but lyrically it was quite different from the politically charged lyrics of their forebearers.

This style survived throughout the 90s, and after the rise of Pop-Punk bands like Good Charlotte, Sum 41 and the like, suddenly this 5th generation emo shit started to come to the fore.

Really, Screamo isn't much different than Emo - it's post hardcore/post-emotive hardcore-derived music, with an emphasis on guttural vocals. That's about it.

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Belphegor - Stigma Diabolicum
via FoxyTunes

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:34 am 

I wouldn't really call the vocals gutteral. More, well, screamy.

Euronymouslives
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:26 am 

The_Boss wrote:
CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8 wrote:

What are you talking about?

Anyway, if you haven't checked out Suis la Lune's 'Quiet, Pull the Strings!' then you should do that straight away. Circle Takes the Square are a pretty terrible representation of screamo who have gotten quite mainstream now.

Other noteworthy bands are Ampere, La Quiete, City of Caterpillar, Daïtro, Loma Prieta, L'antietam, Love Like... Electrocution, Noisy Sins of the Insect... yadda, yadda.

And Mass Movement of the Moth for a more experimental approach.

EDIT: By the way, it's obviously been the media that has given emo and screamo a bad name, but individual ignorance can't be helped either. Same with indie.

OnlyToolsandCorpses
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:48 am 

KayVee wrote:

joke post?

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:56 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
I wouldn't really call the vocals gutteral. More, well, screamy.

Which was the sense in which I was using guttural. Minor point anyways :p

UncleYaris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 pm 

screamo does nothing for me. its boring to listen to, and what i can make out of the lyrics, they sound like emo kids trying to be death metal.

the only reason i put up with guteral vocals in heavy metal is because the actual music is good and fun to listen to. as far as screamo goes...no.

Fsypro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:30 am 

I dare anyone to listen to Ampere's "All Our Tomorrows End Today" in its entirety and say its not good especially you UncleYaris.

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:32 am 

I havent ventured that far off yet. I've come to love Emotive Hardcore, but screamo is still a territory for me that I couldn't cross. Of course, I've been listening to real Screamo bands like Orchid and Saetia, but the vocals errks me enough to stop after 3 songs.

http://www.last.fm/user/AmberBazaar

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:25 pm 

noobsofsocialreality wrote:
I havent ventured that far off yet. I've come to love Emotive Hardcore, but screamo is still a territory for me that I couldn't cross. Of course, I've been listening to real Screamo bands like Orchid and Saetia, but the vocals errks me enough to stop after 3 songs.

Same here, the only screamo vocals I can stand are Suis La Lune's so far(prove me wrong?) and sometime's Saetia's clean ones.

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:09 pm 

Pg. 99 is the only band from this genre I find consistent. Saetia and Funeral Diner had a couple of good songs each. Orchid's half of the split with Pig Destroyer is okay.

The_Corinthian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:46 am 

I personally can't stand the stuff, but I hate when people say they listen to screamo, when in reality they don't know what it is, and actually listen to shitty metalcore, which is just as bad. The worst is when you put on a quality death metal album, and ignorant people criticize how "screamo" it is. God people are dumb...
The Corinthian is a creation of Dream. His most notable physical feature is his lack of eyes: in their place, two rows of small jagged teeth line each eye socket. The Corinthian often wears sunglasses to cover this up.

Berghof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:23 am 

Circle Takes The Square...As Cities Burn...Phoenix Mourning

And people back in highschool said metal had bad names :ugh:

What a bunch of fags.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:04 am 

The_Corinthian wrote:
The worst is when you put on a quality death metal album, and ignorant people criticize how "screamo" it is.

Yeah I've had this happen to me, at work. I let one of my coworkers listen to one of my earphones and after a few moments he nodded and said "oh yeah, you like this screamo stuff, right?" It was Scrambled Defuncts (brutal technical death metal) :scratch:
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:46 am 

I mentioned that earlier in the thread. It pisses me off so much. People have this weird thought process. It's got growls in it, growling is the same as screaming, scream is in screamo, so it must be screamo!

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:56 am 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
The_Corinthian wrote:
The worst is when you put on a quality death metal album, and ignorant people criticize how "screamo" it is.

Yeah I've had this happen to me, at work. I let one of my coworkers listen to one of my earphones and after a few moments he nodded and said "oh yeah, you like this screamo stuff, right?" It was Scrambled Defuncts (brutal technical death metal) :scratch:

I was at a party with close friends once and one of my friends had brought some of his friends outside of our 'regular group.' We were listening to all kinds of music that night. At one point Slayer was playing and one of those people yelled 'turn the that screamo shit off.' Everyone just like stopped and looked at him like he was fucking crazy. After that I was a dick to him for the rest of the night. He ended up getting drunk and flipping out on his cell phone without anyone on the other line so I guess Karma got him. :thumbsup:

I dont listen to any screamo but one of my guilty Pleasures is Angels and Airwaves. Im someone who grew up in the 90's with the whole TRL phenomenom and before I listened to good music I was into stupid stuff like Blink 182, Limb Bizkit, Korn, Godsmack, etc. Angels and Airwaves has one of the members from Blink 182 and listening to them reminds me of my childish days. Blink 182 is too stupid for me to take seriously but Angels and Airwaves (being a more pop rock band) are more mature. I only listen to them on occasion but thats my clossest interest to screamo.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 pm 

RevBau wrote:
LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
The_Corinthian wrote:

I was at a party with close friends once and one of my friends had brought some of his friends outside of our 'regular group.' We were listening to all kinds of music that night. At one point Slayer was playing and one of those people yelled 'turn the that screamo shit off.' Everyone just like stopped and looked at him like he was fucking crazy. After that I was a dick to him for the rest of the night. He ended up getting drunk and flipping out on his cell phone without anyone on the other line so I guess Karma got him. :thumbsup:

I dont listen to any screamo but one of my guilty Pleasures is Angels and Airwaves. Im someone who grew up in the 90's with the whole TRL phenomenom and before I listened to good music I was into stupid stuff like Blink 182, Limb Bizkit, Korn, Godsmack, etc. Angels and Airwaves has one of the members from Blink 182 and listening to them reminds me of my childish days. Blink 182 is too stupid for me to take seriously but Angels and Airwaves (being a more pop rock band) are more mature. I only listen to them on occasion but thats my clossest interest to screamo.

Thats funny, because I like Blink 182, but I can't stand Angels and Airwaves.

Sionis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:10 pm 

I can appreciate Saetia, Orchid and other underground stuff..But I hate those modern day bands like Alesana and Hawthorne Heights....ugh.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:21 pm 

illmitch wrote:
there, i said it, hopefully i got your attention. i'm basically just wondering if anybody else out there on this board appreciates underground screamo (like yaphet kotto, joshua fit for battle, saetia, and stuff like that). i've always thought it a pity that this wonderful music gets called by a name so controversial and so destined to bring up prejudices in people's minds.

I have no remorse in telling you to get the fuck out of here.

If anyone thinks I am stepping over the line in saying this, I don't care. I can't fucking stand screamo, emo, etc. They all need to die.

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:40 pm 

agentsteel666 wrote:
illmitch wrote:

If anyone thinks I am stepping over the line in saying this, I don't care. I can't fucking stand screamo, emo, etc. They all need to die.

That's not stepping over the line, it's just being retarded.

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:41 pm 

I heard Circle Take the Square and a few other bands and I completly hated it.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:36 pm 

i thought screamo was like mallcore with annoying vocals

Sionis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:18 pm 

linkavitch wrote:
i thought screamo was like mallcore with annoying vocals

Not true, well maybe yes. The mainstream screamo is mallcore. But if you look at the early 90's screamo bands, you'll be surprised on how much emotion they put into their songs.

noisebastard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:22 am 

Early screamo is basically like chaotic semi-freeform grind. Shit like Honeywell, Heroin, Palatka, all the gravity records stuff. Then you had the later Saetia-type stuff which was a bit more melodic and earnest. Then you have whatever's going on these days. Anyway, Honeywell-Industry LP cannot be denied.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:46 pm 

ReigningChaos wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
illmitch wrote:

That's not stepping over the line, it's just being retarded.

Why would someone start a screamo thread on a metal forum anyways? I mean, that music is just complete shit and only pussies are in screamo bands.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next