Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crushader
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:31 am 

Jarno wrote:
Do you know any band similar to Turisas besides Cadacross? I'm looking for something with fanfares, trumpets, if possible with accordions( not necessary). Please with a fast-paced or mid-paced tempo.

Try Thronar, a dutch battle metal band. They don't have accordions but a very bombastic sound with all those trumpet-synths. \,,/ Tempo requirements are also fulfilled.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 pm 

I second Thronar, at times I feel like they out-battle Turisas in the battle metal scene. Turisas will always get more listens than Thronar, but Thronar is very good as well. For Death and Glory or something like that is an excellent listen.

Others that are somewhat similar to Turisas are bands like Equilibrium with the bombastic epic flare and overall catchiness. Svartsot as well may not be the exact style you're looking for but I can find some similarities between the two.

Jarno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:32 pm 

Ok thanks, I've heard Thronar but I really have not put that much of attention, but I'll try them again. Also if you can help me, I'm up for anything that has accordions, I know quite many bands but is really hard to find new ones (I've asked for this before but what the hell!!!).

Crushader
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:47 am 

I you haven't already, listen to Finsterforst. They have fucking kick-ass accordions. ^^

Jarno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:11 am 

Yep, they are fucking great, but that makes me wonder: Why in hell so few Folk bands (that I know of) have noticed that accordions are so fucking metal?, start using them!!!!!!!!.

And If it is with a Humppa-ish tune much better. (well, this is a personal request, like if because of what I said bands will start using accordions right away, hehehehehehe)

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:58 pm 

Incinerated_Glory wrote:
For those that don't know the band Kamaedzitca and are fans of Asmegin, Heidevolk, Skyforger, Slavland, etc. Check out the new album "Pyarune".

I just picked up the new Kamaedzitca and it's pretty excellent. The debut is good, but "Pyarune" is on a whole new level. In addition to the bands you listed, I think fans of Temnozor and the new Arkona CD should also check out this album.

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:13 pm 

Hey I'm looking for some Epic Pagan Folk Metal.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:54 pm 

Kind of a broad topic there, especially since the first two aren't "technically" genres...but, you might want to look at Thyrfing, Wolfchant, Manegarm, and Moonsorrow.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:09 pm 

For you guys who don't like Tyr, have you listened to How Far to Asgard? I really like that and the other ones are boring to me.

It's not louder, but the songs are more memorable.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:18 am 

awm wrote:
For you guys who don't like Tyr, have you listened to How Far to Asgard? I really like that and the other ones are boring to me.

I've considered buying the reissue. However, I don't really care for the old vocalist, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

I've been on a huge Tyr kick since "Land" was released.

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:10 am 

Didn't like land, but I loved Ragnarok.

EOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:24 pm 

I think everyone should listen to SIG:AR:TYR's "Sailing The Seas Of Fate" right now. It is awesome. I recently bought his latest album "Beyond The North Winds" but I'm not liking it as much. The atmosphere, the music, and the vocals aren't as great, but I haven't really listened to it much so maybe I'll develop a better appreciation for it later.

Does anyone know of any good albums like "Sailing The Seas Of Fate"? I'm looking for an album that is mainly acoustic, has virtuoso guitar playing, both acoustic and electric (note: I don't care about wankery here, but top notch playing), and also has some heavy electric guitar playing every in a while. Basically a very guitar-laden folk and/or viking album. I don't care about the vocals so long as they aren't the main component. In Sailing The Seas Of Fate, the vocals are clean and transcendental, but I can accept harsh black metal vocals. Drumming is fine if it adds to the music and atmosphere; I'm not looking for anything special in this area.

I'd also like to hear more albums like Drudkh's "Songs Of Grief And Solitude." If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Ostepolse
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:31 pm 

awm wrote:

It's not louder, but the songs are more memorable.

Well.. i didn't like Týr at all, but i gave "Land" a chance, to my suprise, I actually liked it. I think the other ones suck.

"I you haven't already, listen to Finsterforst. They have fucking kick-ass accordions. ^^"

Agree, awesome band, so catchy music, makes me want to dance,hehe

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:01 am 

Could anyone help me find bands similar to Moonsorrow's "Suden Uni" album?

Viking/Folk Metal is a genre I've abandoned due to the fact that, well, most of it sucks. I do find Asmegin, some Finntroll, Windir, and Tyr to be enjoyable though so help with finding similar bands would be appreciated. I'd also would like to say I hate Korpiklaani.

Ostepolse
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:08 am 

Bands that sound like finntroll: Turisas, Kromlek and Trollfes
If you like Windir you should try "Cor Scorpii", not viking influenced but sounds Windir-like.

EOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:21 pm 

I've re-listened to SIG:AR:TYR's lastest album "Beyond The North Winds" and it's much better than what I previously gave it credit for. It still retains a lot of the qualities of "Sailing The Seas Of Fate," but instead of being mainly acoustic and ambient, it offers quite a bit of viking metal. So it's more diversified of an album. If you haven't heard SIG:AR:TYR, I recommend you do so.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:59 pm 

Ostepolse wrote:
If you like Windir you should try "Cor Scorpii", not viking influenced but sounds Windir-like.

That would be a better description of what I'm looking for. And I know Cor Scorpii already, as well as the other ones.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:44 am 

EOS wrote:
I've re-listened to SIG:AR:TYR's lastest album "Beyond The North Winds" and it's much better than what I previously gave it credit for. It still retains a lot of the qualities of "Sailing The Seas Of Fate," but instead of being mainly acoustic and ambient, it offers quite a bit of viking metal. So it's more diversified of an album. If you haven't heard SIG:AR:TYR, I recommend you do so.

I agree with you. I recently bought Sailing the Seas of Fate, and I really like it, I was hoping the whole thing would be heavier, like the last song is, Skuld. Still, once you get used to it, its terrific. Bathory worship at its finest.

EOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:00 am 

winterheathen wrote:
I agree with you. I recently bought Sailing the Seas of Fate, and I really like it, I was hoping the whole thing would be heavier, like the last song is, Skuld. Still, once you get used to it, its terrific. Bathory worship at its finest.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, the album only has a couple heavy songs (with few heavy parts dispersed throughout). On The other hand, about half of "Beyond The North Winds" is heavy. You'd probably like it more.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:18 am 

EOS wrote:
I'd also like to hear more albums like Drudkh's "Songs Of Grief And Solitude." If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I'm certainly not an expert on this instrumental acoustic folk, but I would recommend early October Falls ("Tuoni" and "Marras") and Nest. About half of Ulver's "Kveldssanger" is instrumental, and all of the album is awesome.

Asguard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:52 pm 

doomlover wrote:
I'm looking for some folk/viking that is depressing, i really don't like the bands that just sing about drinking mead and having a jolly time.

i like Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" and Moonsorrow's stuff that ive heard on their myspace

cheers in advance :wink:

Something depressive is Broken Moon

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:26 pm 

I think Asguard means Brocken Moon.

Albums like Drudkh's "Grief and Solitude"? Manegarm has an excellent acoustic album, Urminnes Havd, and you could try Borknagar's Origin.

Jarno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:37 am 

C'mon guys, some festive folk metal, about drinking and such, don't care if it is cheesy or gay. Give me catchiness and drunkards fun.

Sorry Doomlover, you can help me by telling me the folk bands you hate and I'll do the same. hehehehe

Marinos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:41 pm 

ok, I'm really enjoying Pagan/folk type bands with female vocalists.

So far i've checked out Arkona and Valkyria, both of which i enjoy, now what is something similar that i am missing?

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:21 am 

Marinos wrote:

So far i've checked out Arkona and Valkyria, both of which i enjoy, now what is something similar that i am missing?

If you like Arkona, I have little doubt that you'd enjoy Alkonost as well. Also Russian, a little doomier and a little less frantic than Arkona, but unique and cool as hell.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:11 pm 

Marinos wrote:

I second the recommendation of Alkonost.

I heavily recommend Dalriada (formerly Echo of Dalriada). Laura Binder is one of my favorite metal vocalists. A really great band, very fun to listen to.

I also recommend a Russian band called Fearlight. They have nice little gem of an album called "Our Legacy." There are female and male vocals, and flute and bagpipes. They have a video on Youtube if you want to check them out.

Lastly, you might want to seek out the band Lumsk. They've fallen out of favor with a lot of metalheads because their last album was folk/pop rather than metal, but you'd probably at least enjoy the first two albums.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:46 pm 

I completely forgot about Lumsk and Dalriada. I second those. They both have really good videos too. Lumsk's Troll album is great, very beautiful.

Video for Lumsk's Trolltind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFfuq_1iJA

Echo of Dalriada's Téli ének

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQQGVd3r0d4

TheLotusEater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:52 pm 

can anyone recommed some bands similar to agalloch?

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:02 pm 

TheLotusEater wrote:

Agalloch, one of my all time faves. One band who really reminds me of Agalloch, and who predates them, is Empyrium. One of their albums is all classical music, but the other three are outdoors-y folk metal. Great band.

teruist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:36 pm 

TheLotusEater wrote:

Falls Of Rauros, most definitely.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:21 am 

TheLotusEater wrote:

Maybe Amber Streams and When Day Descends. They're not overly similar, but are both quite influenced by Agalloch, especially Amber Streams.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:49 am 

Well, lots of those fairly melodic Canadian black metal bands have some similarities to Agalloch. Falls Of Rauros, Woods Of Ypres, Dark Forest, and Wolven Ancestry.

EDIT: OK, Falls of Rauros is from Maine, but thats close enough, I suppose.

Last edited by winterheathen on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:15 am 

teruist wrote:
TheLotusEater wrote:

Falls Of Rauros, most definitely.

Seconded. The Falls of Rauros CD reminds me a lot of "Pale Folklore."

The metal releases of October Falls are kind of Agalloch-like. And of course Ulver's "Bergtatt," which pre-dates Agalloch.

CosmicFury
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:33 am 

TheLotusEater wrote:

The Morningside play slower atmospheric and melodic music like Agalloch. I really like the tune "The Wind".

edit; and when I refer to agalloch, I'm thinking about 'fire above ice below' type agalloch. ;)

rabenblut
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:19 pm 

Currently I am searching for something similar to Temnozor's "Folkstorm of the Azure Nights". Slavonic music is preferred. Thank you in advance! :)

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:15 pm 

For Slavic stuff try Hromovlad, Trollech and Pagan Reign, Svarga, and... shit well there is lots.. I'll think of some more and get back to you.

Zhuinden
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:49 am 

Quote:
Currently I am searching for something similar to Temnozor's "Folkstorm of the Azure Nights". Slavonic music is preferred. Thank you in advance! Smile

Znich's 1997 album Yazychnik Ja, Kamaedzitca's 2008 album Pyarune, check those.

Quote:

Wyrd - Heathen; Forefather - I only know the 2008 album but that's good Steadfast.

Last edited by Zhuinden on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
TimeEnd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:47 am 

Mark777 wrote:

check out heidevolke, falkenbach, and of course Bathory lol if u havent
already

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:34 pm 

Jarno wrote:
C'mon guys, some festive folk metal, about drinking and such, don't care if it is cheesy or gay. Give me catchiness and drunkards fun.

Trollfest

Sata_nic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm 

Jarno wrote:

You should try Svartby then!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next