Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:46 pm 

I'm not making an argument for whether it feels repetitive or not. I'm just talking about the technical aspects of song structure.

Gorgoroth isn't really that repetitive even in comparison to Emperor. Enslaved and some Burzum songs are still much less repetitive than most songs on TH, and while other Burzum songs are pretty repetitive (usually the ones on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem), they are hardly more repetitive than songs on Transilvanaian Hunger. You also have to take into account that the songs on those Burzum albums are very long, and thus the same riffs are going to be played a lot of times even though the song varies much when viewed as a whole.

carnalsadistprod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:29 am 

WinterBliss wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:
It's one of the few sacred cow albums that I would say disliking genuinely signifies you as being pretty dumb.

It's a monotonous, low fi pile of crap. A Blaze in the Northern Sky blows it out of the water. Manes and Burzum did the whole atmosphere and monotonous gig a lot better (as did early Emperor (Into The Infinity Of Thoughts, Wrath of the Tyrant, The Ancient Queen, etc)).

Darkthrone likes Celtic Frost too much anyway to make an atmospheric and rhythmically boring album. Transilvanian Hunger is a decent song, but it's cardboard production makes it a sinker on their album; I've always liked Ghenna's cover more, it's got more kick.

I think you need a history lesson. If it weren't for bands like Celtic Frost...your precious Norgay bands would probably have never come to fruition. "Soulside Journey" and "Goatlord" are the only inferior albums Darkthrone has ever done. Transylvanian Hunger set the tone for what Black Metal should sound like. Raw and Low-Fi. The only thing I disliked about it is the thin production. I like a more full sound, still maintaining the raw aspect.. "Panzerfaust" is a prime example.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:43 am 

I find it hard to understand how anyone could dislike TH (and VON, for that matter), and still claim to like Black Metal. It's not an elitist statement, it's just that those recordings indisputably represent the greatest, most sonically honest and pure statements of the genre.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:54 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
As a guitar player, Fenriz's technique makes it sound like many different riffs are being played at the same time.

Please explain how the drummer's technique as a guitar player makes it sound like many different riffs are being played at the same time.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:58 am 

It's got some good bits, but overall all about it is poor, though alright in execution in some bits of some songs. It's basically a failed experiment on how far you can bring things.

I've been coming back from time to time over the last five-six years to listen to this album, to see if it've matured somewhere in my unconcious, or if my understanding on black metal music has reached some new plateau where I could atleast understand where people see all these exaggarated qualities.

But I fail to see how the points people bring up about minimalism (I don't even find it very minimalistic), trance inducive repetition, lo-fi, raw black metal aesthetics and all that come to some sort of perfect symbiosis. Instead hear the failings of all these "qualities", and how the rather lack quality, in combination aswell as apart from eachother, how they don't provide any sort of atmosphere which could touch me on any sort of level - it's all just really bad, and it seems like Darkthrone realized this themselves with how they took things forward after this album.

I'd give it five out of ten, maybe six, for that they actually tried to make this sort of experiment and show the rest of the world that you can bring things too far at times.

Those who speak of the influence of this album, point me to any artist which have followed in it's trail and done something worthwhile! I think that their second and third album have had more influence on the scene, and then not really as much as the morbid music delivered by 87-94 era Mayhem.

/edit

Feck, this only seem half-coherent, sorry, can't really focus my mind - got the worst fucking cold ever that've been going on for a week soon. I hope my point come across though.
Fixed a few typos etc.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

Last edited by Jarnroth on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:04 am 

Yes, its a classic and it deserves its status. My favorite would still be Under A Funeral Moon, but thats not Transilvanian Hunger's fault.

I think Blaze in the Northern Sky is the one that's a bit overrated, still great, but doesn't compare to the two albums that would follow it.

Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:07 am 

Jarnroth wrote:
It's got some good bits, but overall all about it is poor, thoug alright in execution in some bits of osme songs. It's basically a failed experiment on how far you can bring things .

I've been coming back from time to time over the last five-six years to listen to this album to see if it've matured somewhere in my unconcious, or if my understanding on black metal music has reached some new plateau where I could atleast understand where people see all these exaggarated qualities.

I can't see how the points people bring up about minimalism (I don't even find it very minimalistic), trance inducive repetition, lo-fi, raw black metal aesthetics and all that come to some sort of perfect symbiosis. Instead hear the failings of all these points, and how the quality is lacking in them in combination aswell as how they're apart from eachother, how it doesn't provide any sort of atmosphere which could touch me on any sort of level - it's all just really bad, and it seems like Darkthrone realized this themselves with how they took things forward after this album.

I'd give it five out of ten, maybe six, for that they actually tried to make this sort of experiment and show the rest of the world that you can bring things too far at times.

Those who speak of the influence of this album, point me to any artist which have followed in it's trail and done something worthwhile! I think that their second and third album have had more influence on the scene, and then not really as much as the morbid music delivered by 87-94 era Mayhem.

+1

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:16 am 

Kruel wrote:
LotF wrote:
I remember first hearing the album.
The first three songs kick ass... and then it sort of goes into too repetitive. I can't explain why I like Burzum so much yet at the same time not the other half of the album. Guess it depends on my mood. When winter rolls around I'll put it on because winter sterilizes my aura.

Burzum? :???:

Shit I didn't finish that, I meant to say "I don't know why I like Burzum's ambient drone'ish stuff so much but not a huge fan of Darkthrone's droning-on-ness.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:24 am 

A unique album in Darkthrone's discography, and yes, a classic .. I find it to be beautiful, though in construction it is far from metal in some ways, and I think that is why it has so many detractors. There isn't a lot of precedent for it in metal, except perhaps for Burzum, and people were used to more death or thrash-metal influenced material from Darkthrone. I find the unchanging beats and the endlessly cycling melodies to place me in a very receptive state at certain times, and they are very memorable patterns indeed. I posted something in another thread in which I tried to describe how the album makes me feel in contrast to most off Darkthrone's other work .. I"ll have to find it now.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

ObscureInfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:25 am 

Transilvanian Hunger is a massively overrated album and, contrary to popular belief, the reason for their minimalistic and sloppy way of playing was to piss off their record company rather than "artistic intentions."

That being said, it's still a fantastic album.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:31 am 

ObscureInfinity wrote:
Transilvanian Hunger is a massively overrated album and, contrary to popular belief, the reason for their minimalistic and sloppy way of playing was to piss off their record company rather than "artistic intentions."

:lol: Source, or are you just sprouting bullshit to back yourself up? I think Peaceville would be fine with it after the shock of them receiving the A Blaze in the Northern Sky masters. :D

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:45 am 

Darkthrone wrote:
We would like to state that Transilvanian Hunger stands beyond any criticism. If any man should attempt to criticize this LP, he should be thoroughly patronized for his obviously Jewish behavior.

This pretty much sums it up (in an ironical way).

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 am 

Is that where thats from? Well fuck me, I always thought Cheeses_Priced made that shit up.

I also never realized that Fenriz handled all the instrumentation on TH. I guess whenever I feel like listening to Darkthrone I end up putting on A Blaze. I need to get in the proper "state of mind" some evening and give TH a more thorough listen.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 am 

ObscureInfinity wrote:

Source? Fenriz and Nocturno have both stated in interviews, to my knowledge, that this was a very special time for Darkthrone and that the reason they never walked that path again was simply that they couldn't .. they never felt that way again .. but they remember the writing and recording process with much fondness it seems.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:37 pm 

carnalsadistprod wrote:
"Soulside Journey" and "Goatlord" are the only inferior albums Darkthrone has ever done.

I've got nothing to say about Goatlord, but Soulside Journey isn't by any means inferior to any other Darkthrone albums. In terms of creativity and execution is just as good as ABITNS, UAFM or TH (and needless to say, way more technical), and it definitely blows out of the water anything Dakthrone has made after Panzerfaust.

Sepulturafreak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:46 pm 

I haven't listened to this album in forever, these days I rarely spin it. I definitely appreciate it though, a very hypnotic record.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:57 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:
Darkthrone wrote:
We would like to state that Transilvanian Hunger stands beyond any criticism. If any man should attempt to criticize this LP, he should be thoroughly patronized for his obviously Jewish behavior.

:lol:

Very ironic, I'll have to inform Droneriot that when he and I were discussing that album that we were both engaging in Jewish behavior, though this fact would probably bother me more than it would him.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:59 pm 

I'm sure droneriot was well aware of that statement when he was engaging in Jewish behavior (unless he was severely drunk).

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:03 pm 

Kruel wrote:
I'm sure droneriot was well aware of that statement when he was engaging in Jewish behavior (unless he was severely drunk).

He was buzzing, but he was still able to type with coherence so I'd say he knew what he was doing. He may have been trying to awake the inner Jew within me so I could get angry enough at myself to appreciate the subtle delights of Panzerfaust, which he succeeded at.

carnalsadistprod wrote:
"Soulside Journey" and "Goatlord" are the only inferior albums Darkthrone has ever done.

Spoken as someone who has obviously never heard Plaguewielder once in his entire life.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

zouoritual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:44 pm 

It's probably the opposite of a "teen angst" album, but I'm 16 and this is one of my favorites, specifically for being great listening material for "those" dark angsty moments, cheesy as they are. So while I like it a lot, I don't really expect anyone else to like it.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:59 pm 

carnalsadistprod wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:
SepticTomb wrote:
It's one of the few sacred cow albums that I would say disliking genuinely signifies you as being pretty dumb.

It's a monotonous, low fi pile of crap. A Blaze in the Northern Sky blows it out of the water. Manes and Burzum did the whole atmosphere and monotonous gig a lot better (as did early Emperor (Into The Infinity Of Thoughts, Wrath of the Tyrant, The Ancient Queen, etc)).

Darkthrone likes Celtic Frost too much anyway to make an atmospheric and rhythmically boring album. Transilvanian Hunger is a decent song, but it's cardboard production makes it a sinker on their album; I've always liked Ghenna's cover more, it's got more kick.

I think you need a history lesson. If it weren't for bands like Celtic Frost...your precious Norgay bands would probably have never come to fruition. "Soulside Journey" and "Goatlord" are the only inferior albums Darkthrone has ever done. Transylvanian Hunger set the tone for what Black Metal should sound like. Raw and Low-Fi. The only thing I disliked about it is the thin production. I like a more full sound, still maintaining the raw aspect.. "Panzerfaust" is a prime example.

goddamnit

i like Celtic Frost and they're one of the most important bands in black metal lineage , some misinterpreting my pispoor, rushed writting.

Black metal shouldn't adhere to any strict set of guidlines. I love Old Muttilation as much as i do bands with clear(er) productions like Anaal Nathrakh.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:01 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:
Darkthrone wrote:

It's funny that people are acting in such a sheepish manner about a genre as a whole, and especially a band like Darkthrone who/that are/is about individualism.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:31 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
As a guitar player, Fenriz's technique makes it sound like many different riffs are being played at the same time.

Please explain how the drummer's technique as a guitar player makes it sound like many different riffs are being played at the same time.

You're funny, but Fenriz played every instrument on side one. Nocturno just played on side two. The first half defines the album, IMO.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 pm 

LotF wrote:
Kruel wrote:
LotF wrote:
I remember first hearing the album.
The first three songs kick ass... and then it sort of goes into too repetitive. I can't explain why I like Burzum so much yet at the same time not the other half of the album. Guess it depends on my mood. When winter rolls around I'll put it on because winter sterilizes my aura.

Burzum? :???:

Shit I didn't finish that, I meant to say "I don't know why I like Burzum's ambient drone'ish stuff so much but not a huge fan of Darkthrone's droning-on-ness.

Nothing strange -- Burzum's ambients are totally different from Darkthrone Transilvanain Hunger. I mean, Transilvanian Hunger isn't even ambient to begin with. Snu Mikrokosmos Tegn and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss are probably the only Burzum songs somewhat comparable to Transilvanian Hunger.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:44 pm 

TH is simply a good album by a good BM band. I don't think its Darkthrone's best, but it is still a good album.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:14 am 

Kruel wrote:
I'm sure droneriot was well aware of that statement when he was engaging in Jewish behavior (unless he was severely sober).

Fixed.

Transilvanian Hunger is brilliant, some of black metal's greatest songs lie on that album.

Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:04 am 

Darkthrone wrote:

This just sounds like PR to me, reverse pyschology for all those grim metal fan. Eric Bishoff's book says it best Controversy creates cash

BM fan(s):ERRRRR we're not Jewish, let's buy TH

Fenriz: $

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:23 am 

Fenriz was a drug addict at the time, so go figure, as they say.

Mahr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:07 pm 

TH was important at it's time... but I don't like it, IMO there are better BM albums nowadays. There are about 2 or 3 riffs on it, that don't bore me.

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:22 pm 

Good inspiration for the minimalistic black metal movement but in my opinion their Norwegian black metal (generally speaking) contemporaries did it far better and more interestingly turning it into an art (Enslaved).

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:11 pm 

I guess it depends on what appeals to you, but for me it's one of the best BLACK METAL albums of all time. I like that it's trance, I like that it's depressive a bit, and perhaps that has to do somewhat with VARG's involvement on this one.

About the CF influences in regards to Darkthrone, sure; but I'll be honest. While I do like the albums through PANZERFAUST, I like the TH direction better than the CF direction. To me, I'd pick MORBID TALES every time over UNDER A FUNERAL MOON, ABLAZE and PANZERFAUST. While those albums are great in their own right (and I do like them quite a bit) I grab TH everytime when I'm in the mood for Darkthrone. I'm not sure if Darkthrone does CF as well as CF does.

metalkyle9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:50 am 

Personally, I like this album. It is important for the second wave of BM, if nothing else. However, if I had to choose between TH and ABITNS or UAFM, I'd be more apt to get ABITNS or UAFM.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:17 pm 

Naedra wrote:
Darkthrone wrote:

This just sounds like PR to me, reverse pyschology for all those grim metal fan. Eric Bishoff's book says it best Controversy creates cash

BM fan(s):ERRRRR we're not Jewish, let's buy TH

Fenriz: $

If that is true, it had the dual affect of both working and not working on me. I bought the album not knowing that Varg wrote some of the lyrics, instantly thought it was only moderately good, and now not being ashamed at owning it, am chuckled at my own Jewishness for not worshipping it like I do Soulside Journey. :lol:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:18 pm 

I enjoy the album, But like many others the production does annoy me.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:03 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:

I don't think any one's annoyed by the production, it serves the music they decided to play perfectly and the record would've been even worse if it was more clean.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:05 pm 

Jarnroth wrote:
DeadXManiac wrote:

I don't think any one's annoyed by the production, it serves the music they decided to play perfectly and the record would've been even worse if it was more clean.

Clean production would completely destroy TH's (in my opinion) perfect atmosphere.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:10 pm 

I don't think there is anything wrong with TH's production at all. It's virtually perfect.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:13 pm 

Kruel wrote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with TH's production at all. It's virtually perfect.

Yep. Also, if you claim to like TH, but don't like the production, you don't like TH. It's integral.

Dark_Mewtwo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:00 pm 

Tantalus wrote:
Kruel wrote:

Yep. Also, if you claim to like TH, but don't like the production, you don't like TH. It's integral.

Yessir I agree with both of you. I love tranny hunger, it used to be my favorite Darkthrone album. I'm of the opinion that no other band has been able to create such an atmosphere with their black metal, it's a very unique record in that way, and a true classic. I may like other Darkthrone albums more now, but I will always love this one too.

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:44 pm 

While I'd place Ablaze and UaFM above TH, I'd easily place it above the rest of their discography and most every album that tries to duplicate it. One of the things I dig about TH is just how much it fucking rocks! There may not be many riffs, but all of those riffs are catchy as hell and immediately sink their hooks into you. The straight-forward punk drumming and that awesome trancey bass guitar further facilitate the head banging. This all in addition to the harsh yet ultra-clear production, the simultaneously despondent and triumphant motifs and the almost chanted while still screaming-his-lungs-out vocals. This album is just one massive collection of discordant elements that somehow work perfectly well together creating a release that is somehow both extremely catchy and easy to get lost in as well as being nigh-impenetrable and almost violently opposed to comfortable listening.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next