Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:32 pm 

When I play the guitar, sliding up or down will give me a squeak (probably due to the callus' on my finger)

If I was playing for example:
Code:
D|4---7---
A|2---5---
E|--------

Sliding up to 5+7 causes a squeak over my strings. I hold them right, but I don't know how to get rid of them. I know you can't totally eliminate the sound, but is there a way to reduce it?
Now I do use a really cheap guitar and probably really really cheap strings. Is there any recommendations for strings probably?

Also, can [better quality] amps remove this? I know I get it with mine, but I'm playing with a 50$ guitar and 200$ amp... I don't have money at this time due to university but in the future I plan on getting better equipment. Does recording equipment help in removal of it upon persistence?
Thanks.

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 pm 

It's not the instrument, although I suggest a better one, just because a $50 guitar will have terrible tone, and sustain,but lol, It shouldn't make that sound when you slide, only if your lifting up then sliding without pressing down.

|------------|
|----6/7----|
|----4/5----|
|------------|
|------------|
|------------| if your sliding it shouldn't make a that sound but if you

|-6-7|
|-4-5| And your hands are sliding on the strings on the way down, it Will.

Just lift your fingers straight up, but keep close to the frets.

Kinda Confusin but, hell I tried :)

grotesqueartistry
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:00 am 

do you mean sliding or shifting? Ive never really gotten a squeaky sound from sliding, though it happens when I shift.

I just lift my fingers up a bit more or hold the string down as i move to the desired fret for as long as i can. I almost never hear it when I play now

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:52 am 

Are you playing on a clean channel? If yes, it's normal.

Speak for yourself.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:57 am 

does it squeek with the amp on or when its off too?
cause if the strings are rusty, it might be because of that.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:34 pm 

grotesqueartistry wrote:
do you mean sliding or shifting? Ive never really gotten a squeaky sound from sliding, though it happens when I shift.

I just lift my fingers up a bit more or hold the string down as i move to the desired fret for as long as i can. I almost never hear it when I play now

This!

I should have said 'shifting', because I get a squeek when I shift up or down my strings.

Yes it makes the noise when the amp is off. Should I clean the strings? I don't think I've done that in eons... :ugh:

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:16 pm 

That's perfectly normal. I get those noises on my ESP Horizon with fresh Elixirs.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:55 pm 

mattp wrote:
That's perfectly normal. I get those noises on my ESP Horizon with fresh Elixirs.

Is there a way to dull their sound at all? It sounds like I'm getting them a lot... and to me it sort of sticks out (probably because I'm creating it and being ultra-critical)

grotesqueartistry
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:37 pm 

LotF wrote:
grotesqueartistry wrote:

This!

I should have said 'shifting', because I get a squeek when I shift up or down my strings.

Yes it makes the noise when the amp is off. Should I clean the strings? I don't think I've done that in eons... :ugh:

Well that is pretty normal. It happens a lot more on acoustic guitars for some reason. A noise reducer can help change that. But yea my advice is just pick up your hand a little less actually, when moving, and make sure you move your arm and not your wrist when you shift.

Heres what i was talking about before.
Lets say on the G string, I am playing frets 2-4-5-7

Ill use my index for 2, then ring for 4, then i will shift with my index to 5 and use my ring for 7. When I do the shift from 4 to 5, this is what I do: I hold the string down with my third finger as i start the shift. My index finger is down on the string as well. By the time i pick up my third finger, my index finger is right there on the 5th fret. Sometimes you just need to shift faster to get rid of that sound.

Hope this helps!

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:44 pm 

Personally I think it sounds kinda sexy when you hear all those fret noises on record, if it's a clean/acoustic passage.

grotesqueartistry
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:05 pm 

agreed it can but sometimes it gets over whelming

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:20 pm 

Nice idea. I will apply it and hopefully it will help. Thanks.

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:36 am 

LotF wrote:
When I play the guitar, sliding up or down will give me a squeak (probably due to the callus' on my finger)

If I was playing for example:
Code:
D|4---7---
A|2---5---
E|--------

Sliding up to 5+7 causes a squeak over my strings. I hold them right, but I don't know how to get rid of them. I know you can't totally eliminate the sound, but is there a way to reduce it?
Now I do use a really cheap guitar and probably really really cheap strings. Is there any recommendations for strings probably?

Also, can [better quality] amps remove this? I know I get it with mine, but I'm playing with a 50$ guitar and 200$ amp... I don't have money at this time due to university but in the future I plan on getting better equipment. Does recording equipment help in removal of it upon persistence?
Thanks.

Sell guitar and amp. Take your 250 and buy a descent starter guitar. Or find a descent one on craigslist. Then buy a cheap ass amp when you get a little cash like 80 bucks will do. At least play with respectable gear so your equipment won't hold you back from progressing.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:47 am 

thejestersgate wrote:
Sell guitar and amp. Take your 250 and buy a descent starter guitar. Or find a descent one on craigslist. Then buy a cheap ass amp when you get a little cash like 80 bucks will do. At least play with respectable gear so your equipment won't hold you back from progressing.

Whats a good guitar for 250$?

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:42 pm 

A cheap ibanez or ltd would fare you better than a 50 dollar guitar. But your better off going pawn shop hunting for a bargain.

wrak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:26 pm 

My guitar is a cheap Jacksom RR copy modified with two EMG81. Awesome guitar because of the EMGs. Those noises depends on both the pickups and the amp. I'm using the noisegate on my HD147 which erase A LOT of the noise. No matter what pickups you have you'll always get alot of fretnoise because of distortion.

Bones98
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:27 pm 

if it squeaks with the amp off, it could be your strings. I usually pour a small amount of string cleaner and conditioner on a clothe and wipe my strings with it, seems to take care of the "squeak" problems I had with my guitars. Helps reducing callouses too.

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:17 am 

Bones98 wrote:
Helps reducing callouses too.

Why would you want that? :|

Speak for yourself.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.