Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:43 pm 

this isni't a topic for people to dislike graveland but more of a topic about what in the hell is is thoth and when is A GRAVEland album gonna surface

seriously, naysayers about graveland need not reply. i need fellow fans

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:19 pm 

Rob Darken puts out an album at least every other year, so expect a new one very soon. He's quite prolific, which is great for shameless Graveland fanboys (myself included).

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:22 pm 

wow.

thanks, i guess

i kinda want this to be an information topic about thoth and graveland and if anyone knows what is going on. vague weirdo know nothing fanbois need not fill it with " duh"

Last edited by eekachrist on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:23 pm 

There's two new albums comming

'' The new album "Spears of Heaven" should be available in Fall 2008 and the following album "Thunderbolts of the Gods" available in 2009. ''

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:24 pm 

how/ where did you hear this?

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:25 pm 

I talked to Rob on myspace, apparently he runs the page himself. I asked him about a new album, he told me the new album "Spears of Heaven" will be out in late fall, probably October or November.

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:25 pm 

also, did you hear the thoth album? bthat must have taken up a lot of his time

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:26 pm 

eekachrist wrote:
how/ where did you hear this?

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=390 in the additional notes section

Edit: Typo

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:28 pm 

HeavyMetalSteve wrote:
I talked to Rob on myspace, apparently he runs the page himself. I asked him about a new album, he told me the new album "Spears of Heaven" will be out in late fall, probably October or November.

well, i'm not gonna argue about that. i'm gonna do nothing but look forward to it

am just weirded about the thoth album. i love it and seriously i am the only one who has heard it

i think it's great

Last edited by eekachrist on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:31 pm 

eekachrist wrote:
HeavyMetalSteve wrote:

well, i'm not gonna argue about that. i'm gonna do nothing but look forward to it

The tracks he put on the page are unfinished but sound awesome. They are just so epic, he's using a real choir again which makes everything more epic and dramatic.

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:33 pm 

i really don't do myspace

haha, do you know when a release date will be?

i won't listen until i got the whole album

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:37 pm 

anyways, if you really do talk to rob just tell him he's got a huge supporter right here in eekachrist and i love every single thing he has ever recorded. tell him to not listen to the naysayers. goddamn they are bothersome

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:41 pm 

eekachrist wrote:
anyways, if you really do talk to rob just tell him he's got a huge supporter right here in eekachrist and i love every single thing he has ever recorded. tell him to not listen to the naysayers. goddamn they are bothersome

I don't talk to him too often, I only messaged him to ask about the release of the album. I hate all the graveland haters, a few people have called me a racist and nazi for listening to him. Regardless of his political beliefs, he makes amazing music.

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:46 pm 

well, could you please ask him about thoth?that's all i wanna know about

i could care less about nazis. i don't carw abot who thinks tey are a nazzi. i guess if you don't know you are. not having anything to do with this, could you ask rob maybe wy he wanted to o depressive?
/
/?

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:53 pm 

sorry, thtat made no sense. my main thought is how did the thoth cd come about
? i love it it and think it is better than all contemporaries

this should be an PM thing. im sorry

christ anyone can see that graveland has more things to worry about besides things that make you pout

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:04 pm 

HeavyMetalSteve wrote:

The tracks he put on the page are unfinished but sound awesome. They are just so epic, he's using a real choir again which makes everything more epic and dramatic.

This is good news. The synth choir used on the last few albums was pretty cringe-inducing.

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:08 pm 

well the racist thing doesn't bother me, it bothers them

i don't care

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:19 pm 

I've been meaning to listen to his stuff for a while now, I guess I'll start with the new album when it comes out.

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:23 pm 

try out thoth

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:14 pm 

I'm expecting Thoth to come in the mail soon, I ordered it from Hell's Headbangers last week. I knew nothing about it and just read the description about it being an occult-themed doomy black metal album with its members being Darken, Necro (from Ohtar and Selbstmord) and Krzysztof (from Dark Fury) and my eyes practically popped out of their sockets.

Elegy records has minimal info and the first song for download, but that's all that I've found about it.

You can also just check graveland.org for Graveland news and samples, when he's got something new, it'll get posted there first. Hell, sometimes half the album from any new release is downloadable there in instrumental form when he's working on it. Also check Forever Plagued Records, they already released Drunemeton and they'll soon release Necromanteion for the first time on cd. It's a fantastic label.

I'm also a major Graveland fanboy. One of my best reviews here is the one on Thousand Swords which I consider one of the most significant releases in the history of black metal. I'm currently writing one on Will Stronger than Death for DC. This and the previous album have been some of my favourite releases by him, which is amazing considering the age of the band and the style-shifts throughout its lifespan.

Velvet_Creation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:00 pm 

eekachrist, if you're not a troll you have to be one of the dumbest people I've ever seen. Either that or you're 15 years old.

ObscureInfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:11 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
I've been meaning to listen to his stuff for a while now, I guess I'll start with the new album when it comes out.

I would start with Thousand Swords.

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:25 pm 

mornox wrote:
I'm expecting Thoth to come in the mail soon, I ordered it from Hell's Headbangers last week. I knew nothing about it and just read the description about it being an occult-themed doomy black metal album with its members being Darken, Necro (from Ohtar and Selbstmord) and Krzysztof (from Dark Fury) and my eyes practically popped out of their sockets.

Elegy records has minimal info and the first song for download, but that's all that I've found about it.

You can also just check graveland.org for Graveland news and samples, when he's got something new, it'll get posted there first. Hell, sometimes half the album from any new release is downloadable there in instrumental form when he's working on it. Also check Forever Plagued Records, they already released Drunemeton and they'll soon release Necromanteion for the first time on cd. It's a fantastic label.

I'm also a major Graveland fanboy. One of my best reviews here is the one on Thousand Swords which I consider one of the most significant releases in the history of black metal. I'm currently writing one on Will Stronger than Death for DC. This and the previous album have been some of my favourite releases by him, which is amazing considering the age of the band and the style-shifts throughout its lifespan.

i tihnk you will love it. i listen to it almost every day while going to work. it's way better than all that desperation shit going around. it's good. it's kinda a really weird release because it's 1oo% suicidal, but rob pretty much proves he's got the suicidal riffs. it's fucking way better thab shit like nocturnal depression cause it seriously has the graveland production. it's like 9/10

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:34 pm 

mornox wrote:

anyways, nice to meet you

i'm happy to meet graveland fans

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:35 pm 

Velvet_Creation wrote:
eekachrist, if you're not a troll you have to be one of the dumbest people I've ever seen. Either that or you're 15 years old.

dick

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:46 pm 

Velvet_Creation wrote:

ha your name is velvet creation. how spooky. haha. spooky guy. you must be a young little black metaller. how did you come up with such a cool name? were all the spookier ones already thought up? eergh it gives me creepies just thinking about it. you must be like a real black metal guy. MENTAL NOTE; DON'T FUCK WITH YOU. CREEPY WEEPY.

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:49 pm 

Velvet_Creation wrote:

I take offense to that, as I'm 15 and have no intention of being compared to this, um, thing.

I should probably start listening to Graveland... I heard a couple songs that I liked. I can't remember them now.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:50 pm 

I WONDER HOW CREEPY WEEPY THAT VELVET CACOON STUff is

i bet it's all black metal and shit. way more black metal than graveland. i should check that shit out cause it's true

eekachrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:56 pm 

Velvet_Creation wrote:

why do you actually just be a jerk on message boards? seriously, i want an answer

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:37 am 

eekachrist wrote:
I WONDER HOW CREEPY WEEPY THAT VELVET CACOON STUff is

This is the shit dreams are made of, kids. Let the battle for the ultimate sig begin!
Hehe, foreskins.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:38 am 

eekachrist is the new CountKishnarackh.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

Sentienth696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:59 am 

eekachrist wrote:
Velvet_Creation wrote:

why do you actually just be a jerk on message boards? seriously, i want an answer

Keep going. . .

You won't be around much longer if you keep insisting on bombarding every post you make with crap.

If you are indeed old. . . I suggest you act your fucking age!

Or are you acting your age? :roll:
http://www.myspace.com/artanor
Bereavement/Artanor 'Imperial Hordes' Split now available $10AU.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:03 am 

Does anyone know if Darken cites Ihsahn as an influence?

boiler_kim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:10 am 

He is obviously a troll, but he is right about Thoth

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:11 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Does anyone know if Darken cites Ihsahn as an influence?

They were both formed around the same time, I don't see why he would be influenced by Emperor.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:23 am 

Well I can hear influences of early Emperor in Will Stronger than Death, so whether Darken has admitted it or not I'm sure Ihsahn has had some effect on his music. However, while Ihsahn and the other pioneers of the second wave continuously disgrace their own names with inferior albums, Darken is consistently putting out great stuff. We'll have to wait and see if Varg can still pull it off before I commence the full-on fellating (I.E. "Rob Darken is the greatest figure of second wave BM" and the like). I have no shame, Graveland rules.

skyforestblaze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:36 am 

mornox wrote:
One of my best reviews here is the one on Thousand Swords which I consider one of the most significant releases in the history of black metal

Great review! I especially liked these passages:

"Listening to the title track or The Dark Battlefield you are almost bodily aware of being on said battlefield, the galloping drums becoming horse’s hoofs, cymbal clashes the striking of sword upon sword, the bass and rhythmguitar background the din of the battlefield, the rising and falling progressions the shifting tides of conflict."

"I personally consider this the greatest pagan black metal album, perhaps even the greatest black metal album period, of all time. I would be very surprised if something came along to top this. Thousand Swords represents everything vital to black metal; conflict against modern Christian values, grimness, ancestral pride, romantic vision, epic grandeur, themes of life and death and the worship of nature and the old ways. If the entire metal scene were to vanish with the exception of this album I wouldn’t mind a bit, since everything I could possibly want from this style of music is present here in near perfection with a sincerity that is almost never seen."

Very good writing, and I agree with you that this work of art is quit possibly 'the' masterpiece of black metal, and if I was forced to throw away my entire black metal collection and be allowed to only keep one album, it would probably be this one (the LP version ;)) And for the Graveland naysayers out there, this has nothing to do with 'fanboyism'. If music is good and sincere, I don't give a shit what band it is! Just accept that fact that Graveland has made some of the most essential albums in this genre, and go out and buy them, instead of whining about how 'gay' Rob Darken is...FUCK OFF!!

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:39 am 

You Dutch people love everything.

skyforestblaze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:08 am 

EntilZha wrote:

And where are you coming from? The Land of Cynicism...?

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:10 am 

skyforestblaze wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

And where are you coming from? The Land of Cynicism...?

Yep, I'm from Oldenburg and I have a close, watchful eye on my pot-smoking neighbours to the west. ;)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next